Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You paint a good picture. I know a lot of VA employed DPMs and none of them would give up their position. I can obviously see why. I wouldn’t mind chipping and clipping 10-15 patients a day with that job security, just saying.I've interviewed at two VA programs so far and DPMs there fully acknowledged this culture. They even said that once you make it past the 2 year probation period it is VERY hard to get fired from the VA hospital. Most people do it for the excellent medical benefits, overall benefits and the pension (which you can't get from any other hospital job). It is slow work but it is a steady paycheck with ultimate job security. I can see the appeal.
I honestly wouldn't mind because it means more time with my family outside of work which is more important to me. There are soooooooooooooooooooooooo many different a less stressful ways to make money than killing yourself doing podiatry/surgery. I hate to say it.
At my hospital job I am averaging 1000 RVUs per month and with salary and maxing out my bonus I was making just under 500K (gross income) per year. Sounds awesome right? Well I have zero time for wife, young children. I have no friends, no hobbies. I chart through the weekend.
I could spend more time trading crypto and make comparable money. For real.
I got MELD tokens airdropped to me for delegating my ADA to the MELD ISPO. Want to know how much that MELD was worth on the first day? $70,000! $70K in one day. I could have sold it and called it a year in terms of having money for bills etc.
So many other ways to make money. I feel like podiatry is especially prone to getting hyper focused on their own productivity, contracts, etc because the pay is so variable. I feel like if our salary was consistent and more fair the profession would be less competitive and toxic.
My employment is probably the most desirable job for 99.9% of podiatrists because they are making 75-100K per year as an associate. But for me...it is no longer a great option for my physical and mental health. So yeah thats when VA work becomes a great option and I don't think it should be frowned upon.
You know who is getting screwed? The associate getting taken advantage of by their PP owner, doing great work, producing a lot, and only taking home 120-150K at the end of the day. That is a reality for a lot of podiatrists. I just made more than half their salary from trading crypto. There are better ways to make money than being a podiatrist.