This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed Sheila two weeks ago regarding my application (I transferred my DO app late March or early April, I cant remember exactly) and she told me that my application would be reviewed in about 4-6 weeks. So going off from what you said, we might hear something maybe in two weeks time, but I do hope its sooner though.
Thanks for your response, this gives us a better idea of timeline. Fingers crossed we here by the end of May!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone tell me when does the program start?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, for those of you who live in Blacksburg Virginia, what’s the average electric bill for a two bedroom apartment and what’s the average cost for internet monthly? Just trying to get a big picture on what the costs for utilities are. Thanks

Quick question, for those of you who live in Blacksburg Virginia, what’s the average electric bill for a two bedroom apartment and what’s the average cost for internet monthly? Just trying to get a big picture on what the costs for utilities are. Thanks

Electric will vary time of year of course. From our experience you’ll be looking at $70-120 on average for electric. Internet will depend on what package you choose. Comcast is probably the most popular in Blacksburg, and they usually run intro specials. You could be looking at anywhere from $50 to $150+ a month depending on what package you decide to get.

If anyone has decided to live in Christiansburg because the rent is cheaper, just be aware that Comcast is not available in most of Cburg and the company that does provide internet is more expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Electric will vary time of year of course. From our experience you’ll be looking at $70-120 on average for electric. Internet will depend on what package you choose. Comcast is probably the most popular in Blacksburg, and they usually run intro specials. You could be looking at anywhere from $50 to $150+ a month depending on what package you decide to get.

If anyone has decided to live in Christiansburg because the rent is cheaper, just be aware that Comcast is not available in most of Cburg and the company that does provide internet is more expensive.
Thanks

How long did it take you all to receive a email reply?

Idk if this was asked previously, but are finals comprehensive for this program??

I got the portal login email so I’m assuming that means I was accepted. I will not be attending though so I hope one of you gets the spot. Good luck

When did you get this email?

There were quite a few people that received the email this morning. Apparently, Bluefield's IT department had a glitch in their system. So some of the accepted applicants' Bluefield email was delayed. They are working on getting all the emails out and back on track.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that received the login details today, when were yuo verified?

Is anyone looking for a female roommate? Also, I’m trying to look for an affordable place to stay but seems like almost all apartments are unavailable now. Any suggestions?

Accepted! Transferred application from VCOM in Feb. Had an error in my application that was corrected late April/early May.

I called the Admission office to get advise about something else in case I do get accepted. While discussing, Ms. Ballard checked my application and told me that I was accepted today! Apparently, the Admissions Dean has reviewed and made decisions today for "a stack of applicants" so I suspect others will be hearing something soon. They received over 1200 applications which is why things are moving a bit slowly.

Good luck to all those waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
There were quite a few people that received the email this morning. Apparently, Bluefield's IT department had a glitch in their system. So some of the accepted applicants' Bluefield email was delayed. They are working on getting all the emails out and back on track.
Accepted! Transferred application from VCOM in Feb. Had an error in my application that was corrected late April/early May.

I called the Admission office to get advise about something else in case I do get accepted. While discussing about FAFSA, Ms. Ballard checked my application and told me that I was accepted today! Apparently, the Admissions Dean has reviewed and made decisions today for "a stack of applicants" so I suspect others will be hearing something soon. They received over 1200 applications which is why things are moving a bit slowly as they were expecting only 400 applicants (per the FAQ on their website).

Good luck to all those waiting.

congrats!!!!

Accepted! I received an email a few hours ago from Sheila. Transfer application verified at the end of March. Who is looking for a female roommate!?!

Is anyone looking for a female roommate? Also, I’m trying to look for an affordable place to stay but seems like almost all apartments are unavailable now. Any suggestions?
I am!!! I just got accepted today, and am at work now. I plan to start searching/calling around tomorrow. I’ll let you know if I find anything!

Accepted! I received an email a few hours ago from Sheila. Transfer application verified at the end of March. Who is looking for a female roommate!?!
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Question for those in the program that have been accepted to medical school. Do you guys have to go for interviews at VCOM alongside other traditional applicants during the application cycle ? Or maybe you just receive acceptance letters at the end of the fall semester and go straight to medical school the next fall without interviewing? Thanks.

Question for those in the program that have been accepted to medical school. Do you guys have to go for interviews at VCOM alongside other traditional applicants during the application cycle ? Or maybe you just receive acceptance letters at the end of the fall semester and go straight to medical school the next fall without interviewing? Thanks.
We do not interview in the traditional sense, but they do carefully monitor everyone in the program. They call it the "year-long interview." Everyone will also meet with the dean of the program at least once during the program. But basically your positive faculty evaluation serves as your interview.

We do not interview in the traditional sense, but they do carefully monitor everyone in the program. They call it the "year-long interview." Everyone will also meet with the dean of the program at least once during the program. But basically your positive faculty evaluation serves as your interview.
Thanks

Hi everyone! I was sent an email from Sheila today and I have been waitlisted. Has anyone else been waitlisted or have heard of rejections? What is your timeframe for making deposits and accepting a spot? I'm trying to determine when I will hear back for an acceptance or rejection.

Hi everyone! I was sent an email from Sheila today and I have been waitlisted. Has anyone else been waitlisted or have heard of rejections? What is your timeframe for making deposits and accepting a spot? I'm trying to determine when I will hear back for an acceptance or rejection.
15 days to put down the deposit from the day you receive your acceptance

Hey! If you dont mind me asking what are your stats? And when were you verified? I sent an email to Shiela but recieved no reply.
Im guessing they send out rejections after the application cycle closes

Hey! If you dont mind me asking what are your stats? And when were you verified? I sent an email to Shiela but recieved no reply.

We’re on the same boat! I’ve sent 2 emails, but no reply. I might already be on the rejection pile.

We’re on the same boat! I’ve sent 2 emails, but no reply. I might already be on the rejection pile.
Yeah im guessing she feels awful being the bearer of bad news . Maybe try calling next? Ill call next week if i still hear anything. It would be nice to atleast know whether we've been rejected, waitlisted or still reviewing application.

Yeah im guessing she feels awful being the bearer of bad news . Maybe try calling next? Ill call next week if i still hear anything. It would be nice to atleast know whether we've been rejected, waitlisted or still reviewing application.
I guess so too.
Please keep us posted!

My stats are cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 493 (I know, I suck!) I also have 6 years of medical experience including scribing and EMT.
I was verified 1/29. I was afraid that they "waitlisted" everyone with a generic email, but I haven't seen anyone else waitlisted on this thread. I also haven't seen many rejections either. I'm trying to stay positive!

My stats are cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 493 (I know, I suck!) I also have 6 years of medical experience including scribing and EMT.
I was verified 1/29. I was afraid that they "waitlisted" everyone with a generic email, but I haven't seen anyone else waitlisted on this thread. I also haven't seen many rejections either. I'm trying to stay positive!

With that gpa I would just retake the mcat; gpa is good enough for md schools with the right MCAT

Oh wow. I thought they don’t consider the MCAT for the program.
Sending positive thoughts your way! Hope you get in.

Accepted!!!!! CGPA: 3.6 sgpa 3.2 MCAT 495! I just recieved an email from Shiela.

With that gpa I would just retake the mcat; gpa is good enough for md schools with the right MCAT
Yes please consider retaking the mcat. They know you have the potential to be admitted directly into med school.

For some people, retaking the MCAT and scoring significantly higher is not as easy as "just doing it". If you're a strong student, you can complete this program and receive direct admission without a gap year. On the other hand, if a person retakes the MCAT and does not increase their score, then they are out another year and in the same boat as the previous cycle.

Yes please consider retaking the mcat. They know you have the potential to be admitted directly into med school.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to retake the MCAT, I would be a millionaire. I have taken it 3 times and still only landed a 493. This masters program is a great opportunity to prove that I have what it takes to succeed in medical school. I want to show that the MCAT is just a number and I can succeed regardless of the test. I'm sure I could get a higher score if I took off work for 3 months to study but it isn't feasible. I don't have that luxury like some other people. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Reactions: 5 users
  • Accepted. STATS: sGPA: 3.22, cGPA: 3.29, MCAT: 496.
  • Paid PosBacCAs application on Tuesday 13th Feb 2018.
  • Verified Application on Friday 16th Feb 2018.
  • Received myBC Login yesterday Thursday 24th May 2018. Emailed sheila and verified if this meant I was accepted and she said yes. Now waiting for acceptance letter by mail.
I'm in the process of searching for a room. Please is there anyone who is willing to get a 2 bedroom flat with me so we can split the bill? Thanks
Please direct message me at (240) 423 5068 so we can search together.
Congrats to all who got in.:soexcited::clap::claps::highfive:.
For those still waiting, Trust that God's plan is the best for ya and do not lose hope.

"Its not by power, its not by might but by the spirit" says the LORD almighty. Zechariah 4:6.

For some people, retaking the MCAT and scoring significantly higher is not as easy as "just doing it". If you're a strong student, you can complete this program and receive direct admission without a gap year. On the other hand, if a person retakes the MCAT and does not increase their score, then they are out another year and in the same boat as the previous cycle.

Yeah I know it’s not easy but definitely doable; just trying to help him out bc the ceiling is infinite with that gpa and the floor is infinite with this program since it’s all-or-nothing; with that gpa he’s definitely capable of getting a good mcat score

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to retake the MCAT, I would be a millionaire. I have taken it 3 times and still only landed a 493. This masters program is a great opportunity to prove that I have what it takes to succeed in medical school. I want to show that the MCAT is just a number and I can succeed regardless of the test. I'm sure I could get a higher score if I took off work for 3 months to study but it isn't feasible. I don't have that luxury like some other people. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!
Oh im sorry, i thought you've only taken the exam once. But also remember the benchmark to make it into the DO school is a 494 so you need to retake regardless. But you are right either way you are an excellent candidate for this program and i know you will become very successful both in it and med school. Dont lose hope. Ill be keeping you in my prayers as well.