This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does any one know the first day of classes or orientation date?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone quick questions. I just submitted tues of this week. Do you think I’m at a Jude disadvantage given the fact that people started applying last year? Also is anyone else taking an mcat in May and applying to medical school this upcoming cycle? Is that weird to apply to both this post bacc and medical schools? Is it discouraged? I noticed that classes start end of July so what if one actually gets accepted to a medical school after acceptance to the post bacc program? Sorry in advance for so many questions. I searched for forum but I couldn’t find anyone who had posted these same questions.

I am taking my MCAT in June and also applying this coming cycle. I want to take every opportunity there is to get into medical school. If I get accepted into the program and interview season comes (meaning I actually get invited), then I'll worry about it then. If you get accepted into medical school while doing the program, you can either drop out and spend your last few months before med school however you want to or you can continue on and get the master's...then go to med school. You also have to consider the cost options if you choose to continue. But if I were you, I'd worry about it when the situation presents itself.

Reactions: 1 user
I had mine stored on Interfolio and because Interfolio couldn't submit them to PostBacCas, the lady I am in touched with (Sheila B) told me to have Interfolio send them to the bluefield email. I was wondering if anyone had done the same thing.
Thank God we can send through their email. I was starting to get a little worried since i have all of mines stored on interfolio. Did anyone submit more than 2 letters of rec? Or anyone apply without a Doctors letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank God we can send through their email. I was starting to get a little worried since i have all of mines stored on interfolio. Did anyone submit more than 2 letters of rec? Or anyone apply without a Doctors letter?

I applied without a physician letter, but I had a clinical supervisor write me one. I also submitted two academic letters.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! I am a current student in the program

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! I am a current student in the program
Hello thanks for offering to answer questions. How did you like the program and did you get into the Medical School for next year? Did you feel it was attainable for all students to be able to reach the 3.6gpa in order to get into the med school. Do you happen to know how many students got in to the med school. I am still waiting to hear back from this program but am really torn between going here and doing LECOMS post bacc program so I would love to hear in general how your experience went. Thank you and sorry for the million questions.

Hello thanks for offering to answer questions. How did you like the program and did you get into the Medical School for next year? Did you feel it was attainable for all students to be able to reach the 3.6gpa in order to get into the med school. Do you happen to know how many students got in to the med school. I am still waiting to hear back from this program but am really torn between going here and doing LECOMS post bacc program so I would love to hear in general how your experience went. Thank you and sorry for the million questions.
If you put in the time you can easily attain it, I am straight out of undergrad and didn't have the traditional Pre-Med majors so basically the last science class I took was in my junior year haha. I made a 3.8 in the first sem and got in and I think 55 people were accepted in the fall. Overall I think the classes are really organized and correlate with each other well. They like to give you a good amount of clinical information which is nice.

If you put in the time you can easily attain it, I am straight out of undergrad and didn't have the traditional Pre-Med majors so basically the last science class I took was in my junior year haha. I made a 3.8 in the first sem and got in and I think 55 people were accepted in the fall. Overall I think the classes are really organized and correlate with each other well. They like to give you a good amount of clinical information which is nice.
Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school!

Hey guys, So I called the program this morning to ask about holding my application until I receive my MCAT score( after the deadline April 15). She told me that all decisions will be made by the deadline.. I asked her if people submit on the 14th what will happen? She said the decisions will be made by the 21st(my MCAT test date). It's kind of weird to me how they are going to move that fast and make decisions by the deadline. However, that would mean you all should hear something really soon considering its March.. Good luck to everyone... I'll be shocked if I get in due to my previous low MCAT score....

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, So I called the program this morning to ask about holding my application until I receive my MCAT score( after the deadline April 15). She told me that all decisions will be made by the deadline.. I asked her if people submit on the 14th what will happen? She said the decisions will be made by the 21st(my MCAT test date). It's kind of weird to me how they are going to move that fast and make decisions by the deadline. However, that would mean you all should hear something really soon considering its March.. Good luck to everyone... I'll be shocked if I get in due to my previous low MCAT score....
Thanks for the update!!!!

Fingers crossed! Does anyone know if they send an email or call to offer a seat?

Members don't see this ad :)
So once we become complete on postbaccas, they start to verify our transcript before sending it off to the admissions office?

Hey guys, So I called the program this morning to ask about holding my application until I receive my MCAT score( after the deadline April 15). She told me that all decisions will be made by the deadline.. I asked her if people submit on the 14th what will happen? She said the decisions will be made by the 21st(my MCAT test date). It's kind of weird to me how they are going to move that fast and make decisions by the deadline. However, that would mean you all should hear something really soon considering its March.. Good luck to everyone... I'll be shocked if I get in due to my previous low MCAT
A friend of mine is currently in the program and had an mcat score below the benchmark values. She just needed to retake and she finally did and met the benchmark required to get into the DO program

So once we become complete on postbaccas, they start to verify our transcript before sending it off to the admissions office?
Yep. Complete will change to verified once this happens.

Another question! I called but the lady that answered wasn’t sure. They are calculating our gpas (cumulative and science) based on the new grade calculating system for DO schools (regular method for MD schools) correct? No grade replacement.

I’m wondering why they even included the non science gpa as a separate category and not just list the overall cumulative and science gpa.
As far as I understand Postbaccas, and all the CAS's for that matter just calculate a bunch of different GPA's from a set list. While the cGPA and sGPA are probably the primary GPA's used for admissions purposes, those other GPA's do allow for comparison between candidates with similar stats.

Postbaccas says ive been verified (i wwas complete just a day before being verifies). Should i be expecting a message from admissions that i have been verified or i wont hear anything else until a decision is made?.

Postbaccas says ive been verified (i wwas complete just a day before being verifies). Should i be expecting a message from admissions that i have been verified or i wont hear anything else until a decision is made?.
Ya won't hear anything lolz! Just kidding, we're all desperately waiting for an answer.
Anyways, you won't hear anything back until the admissions committee has made their final decision. I would email in a few weeks just to make sure everything is there. To put your mind at ease to some degree.

I was verified on CAS in late November and mine has been up for committee review since before March and I have yet to hear but I'm still hoping and holding out. Was anyone verified earlier than mid November???

I was verified on CAS in late November and mine has been up for committee review since before March and I have yet to hear but I'm still hoping and holding out. Was anyone verified earlier than mid November???
If all decisions are being made before the April 15 deadline as stated in a previous post, they're probably waiting on the rejected med school apllicants before making final decisions.

I wonder what has ultimate precedence? A rejected medical school applicant with everything but gpa or MCAT, strong MCAT but weak gpa, good resume but poor grades, someone who applied earlier, someone who lives in Virginia, rural, etc.?

I wonder what has ultimate precedence? A rejected medical school applicant with everything but gpa or MCAT, strong MCAT but weak gpa, good resume but poor grades, someone who applied earlier, someone who lives in Virginia, rural, etc.?
Not sure about how they weigh applications but the truth is a borderline med school reject is likely to be a very strong post bacc applicant.

So I guess they’re just planning to let everyone know at the same time? Does anyone know if they’re already started meeting to review applications and making decisions? Seems like they would have had to start narrowing down by now. So hard not to wonder.. and check email... constantly. Lol

So I guess they’re just planning to let everyone know at the same time? Does anyone know if they’re already started meeting to review applications and making decisions? Seems like they would have had to start narrowing down by now. So hard not to wonder.. and check email... constantly. Lol
I was told that the committee is still in review and they do not have a definitive deadline as to when they would be sending anything out. It's also frustrating because my lease is up in a week and 2 days! Woo woo!!

I was told that the committee is still in review and they do not have a definitive deadline as to when they would be sending anything out. It's also frustrating because my lease is up in a week and 2 days! Woo woo!!
Yikes I hope you hear something soon!

Hahha those of is that need to hear back soon. I hope decisons come out before April 9th. I have a 1k nonrefundable deposit to make to sgu. If only they allowed you to defer.

I have gotten acceptances to 5 other post bacc programs, 3 of which I declined holding out for VCOM to tell me something. I never thought it would take this long. I have until March 30 to give the other schools my decisions...
I just wonder if anyone is still submitting applications to VCOM, both med and post bacc

I have gotten acceptances to 5 other post bacc programs, 3 of which I declined holding out for VCOM to tell me something. I never thought it would take this long. I have until March 30 to give the other schools my decisions...
I just wonder if anyone is still submitting applications to VCOM, both med and post bacc
I know VCOM med school cycle ended on the 1st.

Here's my question. If the committee is waiting to send out decisions, why not divulge that information? That would keep the hundred questions about applications at bay and give everyone peace of mind.

Here's my question. If the committee is waiting to send out decisions, why not divulge that information? That would keep the hundred questions about applications at bay and give everyone peace of mind.

Yea I agree.. especially since the website says to expect about four weeks for a decision if you apply well before the deadline. When it’s already been months for many people, a clear reason would be really nice bc of course everyone will be wondering and trying to plan accordingly. I don’t really understand all the vagueness. Hopefully not much longer though..

Yea I agree.. especially since the website says to expect about four weeks for a decision if you apply well before the deadline. When it’s already been months for many people, a clear reason would be really nice bc of course everyone will be wondering and trying to plan accordingly. I don’t really understand all the vagueness. Hopefully not much longer though..
Preach! I know our personal lives have nothing to do with their efforts, but man it's not easy up and moving on a whim. People are also holding out for the possibility at vcom and what if they get rejected. They had somewhere to go, then ended up in the same spot as they were before they even applied.

The timeline this year has been really different from previous years. In previous years when it was just through VCOM people were receiving decisions already. I understand having a committee made up of both VCOM and Bluefield staff now and the whole change with the program in general has likely influenced the timeline this year, but I can't believe no one has heard back and there's a month left in the cycle.

Hello everyone! I was just wondering for those who applied by transferring their AACOMAS application (instead of postbaccas) did you need to resend your transcripts to the masters program? I was told that transferring your DO app will include your LOR so I assumed if they will receive my LOR they will get my transcripts also? What did you guys do? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I was just wondering for those who applied by transferring their AACOMAS application (instead of postbaccas) did you need to resend your transcripts to the masters program? I was told that transferring your DO app will include your LOR so I assumed if they will receive my LOR they will get my transcripts also? What did you guys do? Thanks!
I was told that they would transfer my application and reach out to me if they discovered anything is missing. So I'm assuming you should be good to go, but I did send an email a few days ago just to make sure everything is there. Waiting on a response though. Did you do anything else when you transferred? I transferred in early Feb. so I really hope it's all good.

I just called the office and they said the committee has not even met yet! Apparently the dean is on a mission trip till next week....

I just called the office and they said the committee has not even met yet! Apparently the dean is on a mission trip till next week....
Welp, guess I can stopping checking my email then lol.

Wow seriously??? Guess those that applied in March wont be hearing anything back till june smh.

While it is a bummer that decisions have not been made, it's cool to see the dean even practices what they preach (provides the story is true).

I was told that they would transfer my application and reach out to me if they discovered anything is missing. So I'm assuming you should be good to go, but I did send an email a few days ago just to make sure everything is there. Waiting on a response though. Did you do anything else when you transferred? I transferred in early Feb. so I really hope it's all good.
Yeah that’s what I was told also! I only filled out the secondary application and that was all. Now we just wait I’m guessing!

While it is a bummer that decisions have not been made, it's cool to see the dean even practices what they preach (provides the story is true).

From what I remember, I was told that doing medical mission trips is quite common for the medical students at VCOM. I think a group goes to Guatemala or some other country every year. So this school is really big on supporting global health, especially for places where medicine is scarce.

From what I remember, I was told that doing medical mission trips is quite common for the medical students at VCOM. I think a group goes to Guatemala or some other country every year. So this school is really big on supporting global health, especially for places where medicine is scarce.
I think it's incorporated into the second semester of the post bacc, you get to choose to work locally or internationally.

I called and was told the same thing. plus they said there are over 700 applications now. How are they realistically going to review that many applicants before the deadline?

Haven't even met??? I applied in November for crying out loud! When I called them at the end of February I was told my application was under committee review so what is the truth here. This is very upsetting. I don't know if this is the new relationship with Bluefield that has caused such a delay but nonetheless, very upsetting. I feel for the people who have leases to renew or not to renew.

Haven't even met??? I applied in November for crying out loud! When I called them at the end of February I was told my application was under committee review so what is the truth here. This is very upsetting. I don't know if this is the new relationship with Bluefield that has caused such a delay but nonetheless, very upsetting. I feel for the people who have leases to renew or not to renew.
They were definitely not THIS slow when it was just VCOM...