This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was the message on my account page after logging in. I was expecting VCOM to send out any acceptances or notifications.

It sounds pretty promising! Keep us updated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the open house for VCOM this weekend, and there was a rep for the Master's program. He stated that over 900 applications have been started, but of that 900 they expect only about 600 of them are actually complete applications. They are currently reviewing, attempting to get through 40+ per week. He also said that they hope the notifications will start going out this week.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to the open house for VCOM this weekend, and there was a rep for the Master's program. He stated that over 900 applications have been started, but of that 900 they expect only about 600 of them are actually complete applications. They are currently reviewing, attempting to get through 40+ per week. He also said that they hope the notifications will start going out this week.

Yes! Was he from VCOM or Bluefield?

Members don't see this ad :)

That is great! Maybe I'll hear back in the next 2 months then since I applied Feb 1.

Did they email you explaining that?

The exact email...
"
Thank you for applying to Bluefield College!

Thank you again from the Office of Enrollment Management.

Please take a moment to check out your MyBC account by logging on tohttps://mybc.bluefield.edu/. During the Admissions process, your username is ******and your password is ***********

You can already track your Admissions progress, view information on Financial Aid and more!!

Your MyBC account will be used every day as a Bluefield College student so please pay close attention to future communication regarding your account.

Thank you again from the Office of Enrollment Management."

Reactions: 1 user
The exact email...
"
Thank you for applying to Bluefield College!

Thank you again from the Office of Enrollment Management.

Please take a moment to check out your MyBC account by logging on tohttps://mybc.bluefield.edu/. During the Admissions process, your username is ******and your password is ***********

You can already track your Admissions progress, view information on Financial Aid and more!!

Your MyBC account will be used every day as a Bluefield College student so please pay close attention to future communication regarding your account.

Thank you again from the Office of Enrollment Management."

Did you apply early as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you log in what does it say about your admission status?

That's what I can't find. When I look under the admissions tab it's just links to apply if that makes any since.

When you log in what does it say about your admission status?

We don't yet have a MyID only a login so we have to continue to wait until more information comes in, I am guessing anyway. When I login, I just receive a generic message about checking into my account periodically for further updates.

I applied postbaccCAS as well and was verified November.

That's what I can't find. When I look under the admissions tab it's just links to apply if that makes any since.

We don't yet have a MyID only a login so we have to continue to wait until more information comes in, I am guessing anyway. When I login, I just receive a generic message about checking into my account periodically for further updates.

I applied postbaccCAS as well and was verified November.

Well I guess that means you're under review?

Im thinking this is another way to track your application process. If you go under traditional and select track, It gives you your information you applied with but no decision on status.

I was verified since December too! Hopefully I hear something back this week? :dead:

Quick opinion poll: an opportunity for a promotion has come up at my job, and intent of interest for that is due by 4/15. This would be a really good plan B for me should I be rejected, though I am hesitant to apply not knowing whether or not I would be quitting in July. I'm generally very paranoid about emailing or calling admissions committees just because I don't want it to reflect negatively on me, but in this case it might be reasonable to inquire about whether or not my application would be up for review anytime soon. Any thoughts?

Quick opinion poll: an opportunity for a promotion has come up at my job, and intent of interest for that is due by 4/15. This would be a really good plan B for me should I be rejected, though I am hesitant to apply not knowing whether or not I would be quitting in July. I'm generally very paranoid about emailing or calling admissions committees just because I don't want it to reflect negatively on me, but in this case it might be reasonable to inquire about whether or not my application would be up for review anytime soon. Any thoughts?

My wife and I have thought this same thing over in regards to letting other programs know our decision. I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask because both the program and your job are important and you do not want to miss opportunities on either front. I think if you explain to them why you are asking maybe they would not get upset, however, they could also think the program to you is not worth the wait over your job, but maybe that's just my paranoia of upsetting the admissions committee seeping through.

Honestly though, are they really going to have an answer? It's not like they are sitting around on your decision just not telling you and if they expedited your review would that be completely beneficial? I would suggest letting them do their process and biting your nails with the rest of us for fear of irritating the admission committee. I think the new job is enticing, but the potential at med school is the rest of your future and happiness, so If you have good chances at the program and did not just apply 3 days ago, I would hold out a little longer.

My wife and I have thought this same thing over in regards to letting other programs know our decision. I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask because both the program and your job are important and you do not want to miss opportunities on either front. I think if you explain to them why you are asking maybe they would not get upset, however, they could also think the program to you is not worth the wait over your job, but maybe that's just my paranoia of upsetting the admissions committee seeping through.

Honestly though, are they really going to have an answer? It's not like they are sitting around on your decision just not telling you and if they expedited your review would that be completely beneficial? I would suggest letting them do their process and biting your nails with the rest of us for fear of irritating the admission committee. I think the new job is enticing, but the potential at med school is the rest of your future and happiness, so If you have good chances at the program and did not just apply 3 days ago, I would hold out a little longer.

That's exactly why I was fretting over asking. It's just awkward timing with the opportunity at work and the admissions process. I went ahead and sent a short and professional email asking for a very, very general timeline so as not to seem impatient. I was verified 9 weeks ago so hopefully they won't see that as terribly impatient *bites nails*. I didn't mention the job thing because I didn't want them to have a reason to reject me. Wow this whole process really brings out the crazy in you doesn't it?

That's exactly why I was fretting over asking. It's just awkward timing with the opportunity at work and the admissions process. I went ahead and sent a short and professional email asking for a very, very general timeline so as not to seem impatient. I was verified 9 weeks ago so hopefully they won't see that as terribly impatient *bites nails*. I didn't mention the job thing because I didn't want them to have a reason to reject me. Wow this whole process really brings out the crazy in you doesn't it?

Let me know what they say.

Last edited:
So I called to make sure that they had my complete application after reading how many were incomplete. I have two letters of recommendations but was waiting on a third. The lady stated that mine was currently under review. My application was verified at the beginning of February. Hope this helps people with the timeline of how things are going. Very nervous now...

Reactions: 2 users
So, I had my DO application transferred to the Masters program in January, but I never received verification email. I called them to make sure that everything is transferred and Sheila Ballard told me that everything is transferred including my letters of recommendation. Then, I read here that we are supposed to have a MyBC account. I never got one. So, I contacted the Bluefield IT department and they told me that the admissions office is still working to enter all of the data from VCOM to the Bluefield College system. I have no idea what's going on. I thought that everything was transferred and complete and my application was waiting for review. Now the IT department tells me that the admissions office hasn't entered all the data from VCOM to the Bluefield system. Can somebody else who had their application transferred tell what's going on. Does everyone have a MyBC account?

So, I had my DO application transferred to the Masters program in January, but I never received verification email. I called them to make sure that everything is transferred and Sheila Ballard told me that everything is transferred including my letters of recommendation. Then, I read here that we are supposed to have a MyBC account. I never got one. So, I contacted the Bluefield IT department and they told me that the admissions office is still working to enter all of the data from VCOM to the Bluefield College system. I have no idea what's going on. I thought that everything was transferred and complete and my application was waiting for review. Now the IT department tells me that the admissions office hasn't entered all the data from VCOM to the Bluefield system. Can somebody else who had their application transferred tell what's going on. Does everyone have a MyBC account?

I had my application transferred from the DO program as well. I emailed months after the request to ask if everything was complete and Alisa Hewitt said everything was transferred and is complete for review by the committee. She is supposedly the VCOM masters representative. I figured those of us who had our application transferred will be at a disadvantage because of a situation like this. If this was going to be the case why didn't they just tell us to apply through Post Bac Cas? Apparently, Bluefield college is running the admissions show this year? Who really knows but the lack of organization is getting old.

Wait so I’m a little confused? For those of us who transferred our DO app what’s happening? I never received a verification email or anything. Sheila just told me I’m good to go, but now I’m concerned since everyone is getting these user IDs and stuff?

Wait so I’m a little confused? For those of us who transferred our DO app what’s happening? I never received a verification email or anything. Sheila just told me I’m good to go, but now I’m concerned since everyone is getting these user IDs and stuff?
To be honest, I wouldn't worry. The user ID is pretty much a nothing burger. So if the program said you were fine, chances are you are just fine.

Rejected :( MCAT 494, cGPA 3.24, sGPA 3.38, 10 years formal healthcare experience

Rejected :( MCAT 494, cGPA 3.24, sGPA 3.38, 10 years formal healthcare experience
So sorry to hear that :(. Did they respond to you by email? That’s very weird since your stats seem pretty good to get in.

I am truly very sorry to hear. Please try and stay positive. Do not give up! Did you apply to any other programs?

Im so sorry! you have good stats I am sure you will get accept it in a different program. do you mind sharing when were you verified ? thank you

I emailed them and this is the response that I got:

"For applicants who are NOT being transferred from the DO program, they apply directly through the PostBacCAS system and can track their application using the username and password they set up there.

For applicants like yourself who are transferred from the DO admissions office to our program for review, we pull your materials directly so there is no additional application and no external tracking available."

So, as long as someone tells us that our app is complete, we are fine.

Ok, this worries me. My science GPA is lower than yours. 3.26 sGPA, 3.54 cGPA, 498 MCAT. BITING MY NAILS!!!

So now I’m concerned.... those seem like good stats especially with the experience tacked on

Did they happen to say what held you back, (letters, personal statement, etc)? Your mcat and gpa met their requirements.

give them some space jesus christ i get it that everybody wants to know but they might be really upset over this let them be for a few

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I am one of the current GCP students and will be heading to Auburn in July. As many of you know, Blacksburg is essentially a college town, and it can be tough finding good apartments to live in! (Quite, professional, away from undergrads partying late night). If anyone here who got accepted is in need of a place, my 1 bd room + loft apartment at Highland at Huckleberry will be available for sublease in June and/or July! It can also be open for the next year if you want or need to extend the lease after July for the whole school year. Its around 8 minutes from school and rent is reasonable!! Message me if you’re interested and good-luck with admissions!
Also feel free to ask me any questions regarding the program and I will try my best to answer them!

I’m interested but not sure how to message you privately.
How much is the rent and does the bus go close to the apartment? I’m not bringing a car with me. Kindly message me. Thank you

Hey all,

I'm a current GCP student (what the program was called before the Bluefield merger) and I was accepted to VCOM for the Blacksburg campus for next fall.

Obviously I can answer program/course related questions, but if anyone has questions regarding living in Blacksburg vs surrounding areas, balancing school/family life (for you paired up non-trads), buying a home, learning about any of the faculty (respectful questions only!!!), finding nice places to hike/camp, where to find decent restaurants (not gonna lie, it can be a struggle... lol) etc, or if you want a rock climbing buddy, message me!

Good luck and hope to see many of you in Blacksburg later this year :)

Hey all,

I'm a current GCP student (what the program was called before the Bluefield merger) and I was accepted to VCOM for the Blacksburg campus for next fall.

Obviously I can answer program/course related questions, but if anyone has questions regarding living in Blacksburg vs surrounding areas, balancing school/family life (for you paired up non-trads), buying a home, learning about any of the faculty (respectful questions only!!!), finding nice places to hike/camp, where to find decent restaurants (not gonna lie, it can be a struggle... lol) etc, or if you want a rock climbing buddy, message me!

Good luck and hope to see many of you in Blacksburg later this year :)

I'm glad to see you were able to stay in Blacksburg. I know they take your hometown into consideration but do you know any other factors they consider for allowing some students to stay in Blacksburg? I would hope my wife and I will have no issue remaining in Blacksburg simply because we have children in school. Are you a VA resident, married, have children?

I'm glad to see you were able to stay in Blacksburg. I know they take your hometown into consideration but do you know any other factors they consider for allowing some students to stay in Blacksburg? I would hope my wife and I will have no issue remaining in Blacksburg simply because we have children in school. Are you a VA resident, married, have children?

I'm not a VA resident; I'm from TX so originally my assigned campus with the guaranteed admission was Auburn. I had to appeal to Dean Wilcox to stay in Virginia because I am married and my spouse has a job here doing research at Virginia Tech. I don't have children yet, still trying to figure out that timeline lol....

When appealing for a specific campus, they say you have to present a very strong reason with family, community, etc. I do think that the timing of getting in impacts your chance of success. The acceptances are sent out in December, March, or May depending on when you achieve all of the benchmarks. I was lucky enough to be accepted in December, and I think that might be why my appeal was granted - because they probably still had a ton of open seats. They emphasize that if your spouse has a "career type job", not just a retail position or something temporary, then that's a good basis for appeal. I believe that having children in school is also a good reason. Reasons that have been denied (to my knowledge) are having a sick extended family member and being part of a specific church, but again, I think those people also got in later than December.

Does that answer your question?

I'm not a VA resident; I'm from TX so originally my assigned campus with the guaranteed admission was Auburn. I had to appeal to Dean Wilcox to stay in Virginia because I am married and my spouse has a job here doing research at Virginia Tech. I don't have children yet, still trying to figure out that timeline lol....

When appealing for a specific campus, they say you have to present a very strong reason with family, community, etc. I do think that the timing of getting in impacts your chance of success. The acceptances are sent out in December, March, or May depending on when you achieve all of the benchmarks. I was lucky enough to be accepted in December, and I think that might be why my appeal was granted - because they probably still had a ton of open seats. They emphasize that if your spouse has a "career type job", not just a retail position or something temporary, then that's a good basis for appeal. I believe that having children in school is also a good reason. Reasons that have been denied (to my knowledge) are having a sick extended family member and being part of a specific church, but again, I think those people also got in later than December.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, absolutely thanks! The school systems in blacks/cburg are fantastic

I had my application transferred from the DO program as well. I emailed months after the request to ask if everything was complete and Alisa Hewitt said everything was transferred and is complete for review by the committee. She is supposedly the VCOM masters representative. I figured those of us who had our application transferred will be at a disadvantage because of a situation like this. If this was going to be the case why didn't they just tell us to apply through Post Bac Cas? Apparently, Bluefield college is running the admissions show this year? Who really knows but the lack of organization is getting old.

If Bluefield is running admissions, are they only looking at students with above average numbers? The person above seemed like they would have been a good candidate. I'm scared, guys.

If Bluefield is running admissions, are they only looking at students with above average numbers? The person above seemed like they would have been a good candidate. I'm scared, guys.

Certainly programs want the best candidates they can acquire because those students are more likely to complete the program and go onto other graduate programs thus creating a strong track record for the school and bolster their success, ranking, etc, but their website reports a requirement of 3.0 minimum overall and that someone with a MCAT of 494 would be at an advantage. I get they want the best candidates they can get, but the program is intended to help those who are not the best candidates. Someone, who on all other fronts, is a good candidate but needs academic enhancement, so I too am quite confused by this. Frankly someone with 508 MCAT, 3.8 GPA should be turned away as this program does not meet their needs, but schools are hesitant to take risks. Some schools, (I do not think VCOM is one of them) will report lower requirements just to receive payment for apps.

When I applied to med schools last year and received multiple secondaries something eventually clicked that they just wanted my money because I honestly had no chance for an interview. But did that stop me from forking out an extra $65 to each school? Hell no! Because hey, maybe they think I'm a really nice guy.

Well at least we know they are sending some decisions. No idea what their decision making process may be though- that rejection seems a little strange to me as well.