Very medicore OAT. Need advice (WAMC).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989644

Hello! I would like some advice from the good people of this forum concerning my OAT results, which I got back yesterday. My cGPA is 3.2 and my sGPA is a bit below that (ditto with my pre-reqs - my post-bacc years-long repair process mostly focused on upper divisions). My biggest strength is my years of service in the ophthalmic field with both clinical and research accolades, which comes attached to good recommendations.

My score is as follows:

QR: 330
RC: 340
Biology: 350
GC: 290
OC: 280
Physics: 280

Total Science: 300
Academic Average: 310

My dream school is SCCO because it is relatively local and fits where I eventually would like to practice in the future. That being said, I have applied to all the California, Texas and Arizona schools to spread out my chances.

So...how screwed am I? I'm aware that we're getting later into the cycle and I already sent an alert to my schools that I completed my OAT. I'm guessing that Berkeley and maybe Houston are out of the question, though I apparently made the average for Western overall.

I'm just looking for some advice. I'm pretty disappointed with the results overall, though I'm surprised that the Biology score turned out pretty alright. I'm just wondering how much the <300 scores are going to bite me in the arse...

I was told that it should be alright, considering my work experience and my recommendations (mostly from SCCO alumni), but I'm pretty skeptical overall.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With it being this late in the cycle, I feel it might be more competitive getting into SCCO and other schools. Your bio score looks fantastic but I'm unsure about the other science scores, esp. the chems. You MIGHT have a chance if your LORs and personal statement and extracurriculars and experience are super superb. You'll prob get into some schools so keep your head high! I'm unsure about SCCO though, they usually like higher OATs than most schools and all the so cal kids are fighting for spots. Would you ever think about retaking the OAT?

With it being this late in the cycle, I feel it might be more competitive getting into SCCO and other schools. Your bio score looks fantastic but I'm unsure about the other science scores, esp. the chems. You MIGHT have a chance if your LORs and personal statement and extracurriculars and experience are super superb. You'll prob get into some schools so keep your head high! I'm unsure about SCCO though, they usually like higher OATs than most schools and all the so cal kids are fighting for spots. Would you ever think about retaking the OAT?

I'm aware that it is later, but is it really pretty late at this point? I heard that anything before the end of the year is considered "on-time."

I would be willing to retake my OAT if they ask me to do so. I just hope I can get in with what I have, though I'm bracing for a retake.

I'm aware that this...isn't good, especially since PS, LORs and ECs are all soft stats at best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, not that late, this is mid-cycle! What I meant to say more was that it's not as early, therefore spots are taken and more competition. best of luck to you! I'd say don't stress, whatever happens happens and you've made it really far regardless and you are super accomplished. none of us pre-opto and optometry students quite know how it will turn out, it's up to admissions!

Yes, not that late, this is mid-cycle! What I meant to say more was that it's not as early, therefore spots are taken and more competition. best of luck to you! I'd say don't stress, whatever happens happens and you've made it really far regardless and you are super accomplished. none of us pre-opto and optometry students quite know how it will turn out, it's up to admissions!

Thank you very much.

I really thought I was going to do better. I mean...I thought Physics was going to bottom out anyways, but I'm shocked that the two Chems fell.

This test was truly exhausting and I pray I don't have to do it again.

I just hope I didn't do too much damage to myself with this anemic result.

To revive this thread, I received this email from SCCO:

Congratulations on getting your application submitted. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to get to this point in the process! You deserve to be congratulated!

We have completed a review of your application to SCCO. You are receiving this message because one or more of your OAT scores are below the level we are considering when making our decisions about which applicants to interview. We have a very competitive applicant pool this year. Please be advised that should you wish to be a competitive applicant and on track to receive an interview invitation, you are advised to retake the OAT with the goal of scoring at least 320 in the Academic Average section.

The last date to take the OAT and be eligible for this admissions cycle is April 1st; however because we utilize a Rolling Admissions cycle, we recommend that you retake the test as soon as you are able. If you plan to retake the OAT before this deadline, please notify us via email at [email protected] and we will be awaiting notification for updated OAT scores when they become available.

If you opt to not retake the OAT, please respond by informing us that you wish to have processing on your application proceed with your OAT scores as they now stand.

We wanted to alert you in time so that you can make plans to retake the OAT and qualify to be competitive within this admissions cycle.

XX

...so while there isn't a hard standard, it seems that I didn't make their general requirements.

If I submit in my application now "as is", how painful would it be for my overall application process? I'm just somewhat concerned because I can't easily take the OAT in my area right now and the COVID situation might threaten testing centers overall.

Of course, I probably should've done better, but I'm now concerned about my application because of this email.

Small update:

I've been moved to an auxiliary committee to examine my record because of my OAT. I hope luck smiles upon me...or at least my record is half-decent enough that they'll interview me sans OAT.

For future record's sake, they're looking for an OAT score of 320 for both TS and AA.

Small update:

I've been moved to an auxiliary committee to examine my record because of my OAT. I hope luck smiles upon me...or at least my record is half-decent enough that they'll interview me sans OAT.

For future record's sake, they're looking for an OAT score of 320 for both TS and AA.
Any update since this auxillary committee?