Virginia-Maryland CVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got waitlisted for an interview last year as well as this year. I'm pretty annoyed because my stats are higher than the average, and higher than they were last cycle, and I've added so much to my app. When I did my file review last year they told me that all they would like to see from me is adding more research... which I did, including my own research project. Other than that, that said, and I quote, "nothing major, just some minor things". I don't know what else I am supposed to change. I think we are in the same boat :(

I feel like there’s so many factors that go into this process that at the end of the day, it’s not you or anything wrong with your abilities. I toured VAMD the week before decisions came out and Shelby mentioned a few things that may be helpful to know.

First, they don’t seem to weigh the first prompt on the VMCAS as much as the other two. She said it’s just not usually helpful to the process because so few people remain in their intended field. So if your strongest essay was the career goals one and the other two were weaker, that could be a factor.

She also mentioned that the caspr (?) test will replace two of the supplemental ones and that they would likely keep the resilience essay. So, it may be in your best interest to think of resilience. I definitely think one of the reasons I got my interview was because of the unique ways I discussed resilience.

With that being said, read up on the CASPER (I’m just going to spell it differently each time). It appears to be like an online MMI. Perhaps this will allow you to better showcase your experience and personality as compared to an essay. Whatever the reason, keep your head up and apply to schools that fit you best. You’ll find your place!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for the info and confidence! They told me last year to change one of my vmcas essays bc I talked about resilience and that’s what one of theirs was, but she told me she liked mine about resilience. I just feel like there’s nothing else I can change as I have changed everything they told me to :/ Thanks again tho!!
I’m sorry you put in so much effort and weren’t invited to interview this cycle. I can imagine how disheartening that must be. I just wanted to point out that the applicant pool changes from year to year so it’s hard for the school to accurately predict if you will or won’t be offered an interview. It sounds like you’re a strong candidate though so hopefully another school will snatch you up!! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very curious as to how many people are on the interview waitlist because last year I got the impression that they just put everyone who didn't get an interview initially and met the requirements on the interview waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very curious as to how many people are on the interview waitlist because last year I got the impression that they just put everyone who didn't get an interview initially and met the requirements on the interview waitlist.
I'm on the interview waitlist, & I know several other people in this thread are on the waitlist as well. However, nobody was given a rank on the waitlist or total number of people that were waitlisted.

Last year the lady who did my individual app review said that not everyone gets put on the interview waitlist, i think she said about 300 people do if i remember correctly

Last year the lady who did my individual app review said that not everyone gets put on the interview waitlist, i think she said about 300 people do if i remember correctly
The waitlist varies from year to year (they keep a certain % of each pool), but that's probably about the ballpark.

Most applicants are denied without interview or waitlist (worse for OOS than IS because of the ratio of seats:applicants)

To address someone other comments above:

There is no order to the waitlist. If spaces open they will look through waitlisted apps again to decide who their next pick is.

The waitlist generally moves very little for VA (like 0-2 spots), a little for MD (2-6 spots), and a bit more for OOS (maybe a few dozen or more). Caveat that these are rough estimates and that it's highly variable from year to year. Seems like it's not moving much this year (sorry folks).

If you are granted an interview, you are very unlikely to be denied following your interview to my understanding. Unless you say or do something that is huge red flag, you will be waitlisted. (Again, not 100% sure in this, but I believe that is how it works. The view being that your app demonstrated that you are capable of succeeding as a student in the curriculum).

To those wondering about stations, timing etc, there are a few older articles that lay out the process from the first few years the school did MMI (7-10 years ago or so). No guarantees the process is the same from year to year (I genuinely don't know what the set up is this year), but those articles are part of what I used to prepare in terms of stations, time per station, and total length of process. (I also used rubrics from other schools... Basically I prepared for stations anywhere from 5-15 minutes and to keep it up for at least an hour.)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
There is no order to the waitlist. If spaces open they will look through waitlisted apps again to decide who their next pick is.

The file review I did w/ VMCVM last year made it seem like there was a ranked waitlist. Dr. Jenkins told me that five people had been called off the waitlist and that I was within the next 25 applicants on the waitlist. :eek:

Does that mean no one who interviews will receive a rejection?

No, they interview about 1.5x the number of people they will take for VA students, 2x for MD students, and 3-4x for out of state students.

No, they interview about 1.5x the number of people they will take for VA students, 2x for MD students, and 3-4x for out of state students.

I should clarify that I mean you are unlikely to be rejected, but can be waitlisted instead of accepted. So it’s mostly between getting accepted or waitlisted (to my knowledge).

The waitlist varies from year to year (they keep a certain % of each pool), but that's probably about the ballpark.

Most applicants are denied without interview or waitlist (worse for OOS than IS because of the ratio of seats:applicants)

To address someone other comments above:

The waitlist generally moves very little for VA (like 0-2 spots), a little for MD (2-6 spots), and a bit more for OOS (maybe a few dozen or more). Caveat that these are rough estimates and that it's highly variable from year to year. Seems like it's not moving much this year (sorry folks).

If you are granted an interview, you are very unlikely to be denied following your interview to my understanding. Unless you say or do something that is huge red flag, you will be waitlisted. (Again, not 100% sure in this, but I believe that is how it works. The view being that your app demonstrated that you are capable of succeeding as a student in the curriculum).

To those wondering about stations, timing etc, there are a few older articles that lay out the process from the first few years the school did MMI (7-10 years ago or so). No guarantees the process is the same from year to year (I genuinely don't know what the set up is this year), but those articles are part of what I used to prepare in terms of stations, time per station, and total length of process. (I also used rubrics from other schools... Basically I prepared for stations anywhere from 5-15 minutes and to keep it up for at least an hour.)

They just recently sent out an email and said it is 2 minutes to read the prompt and then 6 minutes inside the room.

okay this is a super dumb question so please don’t make fun of me. I am getting my nails done for my interview and was planning on getting a light lavender color. Is that too unprofessional for the interview? It obviously isn’t bright in your face, but I usually wear my nails with light blues/greens/purples and realized I have a major interview on Saturday so I thought I would ask!

okay this is a super dumb question so please don’t make fun of me. I am getting my nails done for my interview and was planning on getting a light lavender color. Is that too unprofessional for the interview? It obviously isn’t bright in your face, but I usually wear my nails with light blues/greens/purples and realized I have a major interview on Saturday so I thought I would ask!
I think it's fine personally

If it's going to make you feel self conscious though, get something more natural looking

What is everyone wearing for the interview? I planned to wear black dress pants and heels, with a black buttoned blazer and a colored dress shirt underneath. Does that sound okay? My boss wasn’t sure so I figured I should check.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone wearing for the interview? I planned to wear black dress pants and heels, with a black buttoned blazer and a colored dress shirt underneath. Does that sound okay? My boss wasn’t sure so I figured I should check.
Honestly whatever you’re comfortable with as long as it’s suitably formal is perfectly honestly whatever you’re comfortable with as long as it suitably formal is perfectly fine. I generally wear some variation of that look - blazer, dress shirt, dress pants. I’ve also worn a business dress. Heels should be something you are comfortable touring in or bring a change of shoes. Generally 1” heels are what people wear to professional interviews. My clothes are generally not super bright or crazy patterns because I want them to pay attention to me and not my outfit. Just make sure that your chest can’t be seen because the top doesn’t fit right. I have a blouse without buttons because of this but if you want to wear something with buttons have someone look you over and give the “you aren’t flashing anyone” go ahead.

Honestly whatever you’re comfortable with as long as it’s suitably formal is perfectly honestly whatever you’re comfortable with as long as it suitably formal is perfectly fine. I generally wear some variation of that look - blazer, dress shirt, dress pants. I’ve also worn a business dress. Heels should be something you are comfortable touring in or bring a change of shoes. Generally 1” heels are what people wear to professional interviews. My clothes are generally not super bright or crazy patterns because I want them to pay attention to me and not my outfit. Just make sure that your chest can’t be seen because the top doesn’t fit right. I have a blouse without buttons because of this but if you want to wear something with buttons have someone look you over and give the “you aren’t flashing anyone” go ahead.
Thank you so much!

This might be a stupid question but for MMI style, do we just walk in, introduce ourselves and begin answering? I feel like it’s so awkward to walk in and say “Hello, I’m birds, and in this scenario blah blah blah” but that seems to be what is expected. I’m kind of worried about the MMI as I have no experience with this interview style.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Off topic ,but has anyone received an interview invitation that was waitlisted ?

Off topic ,but has anyone received an interview invitation that was waitlisted ?
Not me. Last year they told me almost no one declined interviews so they didn’t have space for the waitlist :/

Thank you so much!
From my years of professional experience and music performance - don't wear the thing that you always fuss with. You don't want to spend the day distracted by something trivial like an annoying tag rubbing on your skin. I safety-pin my shirt closed for events like this. The ideal outfit takes a backseat to the great person and competent future doctor you are!

This might be a stupid question but for MMI style, do we just walk in, introduce ourselves and begin answering? I feel like it’s so awkward to walk in and say “Hello, I’m birds, and in this scenario blah blah blah” but that seems to be what is expected. I’m kind of worried about the MMI as I have no experience with this interview style.

I know it is kind of last minute now, but if you can do a mock interview with a similar set up with a professor or even family, it will help! I did one yesterday, and just practicing it helped remove some of that awkwardness.

Has anyone received an update today? Still have not heard whether I was offered an interview (after being on the waitlist) or have been declined. They said they would email by/on the 15th.

Has anyone received an update today? Still have not heard whether I was offered an interview (after being on the waitlist) or have been declined. They said they would email by/on the 15th.
I'm in the same boat as you.

how is everyone preparing for the MMI? never did one before

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

They most likely won't email saying that we won't get an interview. I was in the same boat last year and I never heard anything about being declined, just assumed I wasn't getting one when I didn't hear anything.

They most likely won't email saying that we won't get an interview. I was in the same boat last year and I never heard anything about being declined, just assumed I wasn't getting one when I didn't hear anything.
I got a rejection email last year on January 17th that said they were unable extend any further offers for the interview. The email also gave me instructions how to set up a file review with the admissions coordinator.

I got a rejection email last year on January 17th that said they were unable extend any further offers for the interview. The email also gave me instructions how to set up a file review with the admissions coordinator.
Yess I got that email about the file review, but I meant I didn't get an email during the time frame of when they said they would be offering up possible interviews!

Yess I got that email about the file review, but I meant I didn't get an email during the time frame of when they said they would be offering up possible interviews!
Gotcha! Yeah I heard nothing from the uni between being waitlisted in early Dec and the rejection email in Jan.

I think reading the room is the best bet. I suspect some people may be more open toward this, and some might want to get to business. I'm going to try and read body language, but not sure it's a make or break if you forget.

Anyone get a rejection letter from the waitlist yet?

Who all is interviewing this weekend? Getting excited, but also panicking about it!

I was also wondering if anyone on here is going to the information session tonight, could you post a summary here for all those who are still going to be in transit?

I was also wondering if anyone on here is going to the information session tonight, could you post a summary here for all those who are still going to be in transit?

I can try to take notes and put them on here tonight!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where the reception tonight is at specifically?

Does anyone know where the reception tonight is at specifically?
Check in at the VMCVM Student Commons. I wrote down that the reception is in the Waterfall Room but I can’t find where I nabbed that info from.

Is anyone attending the info session and reception tonight?

Me too!!
Short petite female with brown hair. I’ll be wearing a teal top and grey cropped pants :)
I’ll see you there! Short, definitely not petite female. Brown hair, black slacks and probably a purple sweater.

Okay! I’ll be the short girl in a purple top and grey pants

Hey guys! Seriously do not sweat this interview!! I had so much fun during it and everyone at the school is so nice. Have an open mind and be yourselves (they will tell you this 100 times but it’s true!)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! Seriously do not sweat this interview!! I had so much fun during it and everyone at the school is so nice. Have an open mind and be yourselves (they will tell you this 100 times but it’s true!)
Can you share what was said during the info session yesterday?

Can you share what was said during the info session yesterday?

She will briefly go over it again right before the interview, but basically here’s some of the key points:
-you have 2 minutes outside of the room and 6 inside, however you can use more time outside of the room if needed, it just eats into that 6 minutes
-the interviewers/raters have a script they follow. if you get flustered/nervous/anxious in the middle and freeze up, this script will help you get back on track.
-going off of that, the raters are trained to help make you comfortable during the process (since they know we are all nervous and have likely not done an mmi before)
-you have a clipboard with paper...USE IT! she mentioned that often students get nervous and forget to use the clipboard
-relating to the last point, looking at your clipboard during the interview is not counted against you per se
-the interviewer will ask “have you had a chance to read the scenario” and at that point you begin talking
-a copy of the scenario is in the room and you will not be penalized for looking at it during the interview supposedly
-decisions will be out by the 14th however waitlist numbers are not given until April SO DONT ASK BECAUSE THEY WONT TELL YOU

I think that was about it (without breaking confidentiality). people are welcome to add to the list if they feel I missed something! hope this helps :) seriously don’t be nervous!! everyone was sooooo kind :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users