VIRMP/Match CV organization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted387118

Hello everyone! I did not find this topic anywhere in my search so please forgive me and redirect if I've missed it..

How are you organizing your CV for VIRMP? I am applying for residencies and am trying to decide:
(1) where my internship fits
(2) if I should include DVM clubs (Bovine Club, Camelid Club, etc.) or just the professional organizations I belong to now (AVMA, SFT, NCBA, ABWPA etc.)
(3) how to describe the manuscript I have submitted that is "under review" for publication as a JAVMA Theriogenology question of the month.

Thoughts? Much appreciated! Good luck to everyone applying to both internships and residencies this year!

Members don't see this ad.

My headings are as follows:
CLINICAL INTERESTS
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
VETERINARY and ANIMAL EXPERIENCE
PUBLICATIONS
VOLUNTEER and LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
AWARDS and HONOURS
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
RESEARCH INTERESTS
OTHER INTERESTS

My internship went into my education and qualifications section.
I included all club memberships.
Publications under review can still go under publications

Its interesting to see how everyone has organized theirs. I struggled with that a little too. Here are the sections I have in my CV. I also still trying to decide what order to put everything...

Education
Research (publications, projects, presentations)
Clinical experience (rotating Internship, externships/tracking, animal experience)
Leadership (clubs, teaching etc)
Other experiences (past non veterinary jobs)
Hobbies

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying for internships until next year, but I'm trying to get started on organizing my CV, etc. Is there anyone who would be OK sharing theirs or know of a good reference for vet student CVs? The examples I find online are either for vet assistant positions or from seasoned faculty...

Working on updating my CV (VIRMP is looming on the horizon) and trying to figure out if I should include applicable 4th year rotations on there somehow. It's already 4 pages (though I suppose I could trim) and I don't want to add more extraneous stuff if it's not helpful, and I don't know where I would put them even if I did decide to do so. Any advice from anyone?

Working on updating my CV (VIRMP is looming on the horizon) and trying to figure out if I should include applicable 4th year rotations on there somehow. It's already 4 pages (though I suppose I could trim) and I don't want to add more extraneous stuff if it's not helpful, and I don't know where I would put them even if I did decide to do so. Any advice from anyone?

I didn't do VIRMP so not sure what is acceptable or not in that regard but I did pile together my resume for job applying and I did include a few courses/rotations on it. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to see a copy, I can't recall off the top of my head how I added it in.

Reactions: 1 user
What are you applying for?

Lab animal residency
If you find a format you like for adding them in, I totally would since that's more specific than what you are generally required. It would be maybe silly to say you took all the standard small animal classes for a small animal position (since its assumed) but might make you stand out as having experience and knowledge for lab animal

I didn't include rotations but I don't think including them is a problem. With an attractive format and proper headers a person can read what they want to know and not be overwhelmed by the length. I would probably only include elective or external rotations though.

Starting to put together my CV for match. If anyone would sharing theirs via PM, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

My headings are as follows:
CLINICAL INTERESTS
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
VETERINARY and ANIMAL EXPERIENCE
PUBLICATIONS
VOLUNTEER and LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
AWARDS and HONOURS
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
RESEARCH INTERESTS
OTHER INTERESTS

My internship went into my education and qualifications section.
I included all club memberships.
Publications under review can still go under publications
For clinical interests, was this essentially a list or a short blurb that you put?
Also, my paper is currently being reviewed by my mentor and has not officially been submitted for publication yet. It will be by the time my application is due for VIRMP but I have a letter writer asking for my CV now. Should I include it under publications somewhere? Also, would you place poster presentations under publications?

For clinical interests, was this essentially a list or a short blurb that you put?
Also, my paper is currently being reviewed by my mentor and has not officially been submitted for publication yet. It will be by the time my application is due for VIRMP but I have a letter writer asking for my CV now. Should I include it under publications somewhere? Also, would you place poster presentations under publications?
Maybe just mention it to the letter writer? And then when it is submitted be clear on the CV that it is currently under review.

It was pretty much a list of topics i'm interested in.
If you list that paper under publications, just make sure you list next to it "under review".
You can make another subheadings called Presentations.

Bringing this back up.

How have people listed multiple externships where your skills/responsibilities were essentially identical? I've done 3 zoo externships and for each one, I've monitored anesthesia, drew blood/placed catheters, performed necropsies, etc. It looks stupid when I repeat these things 3x, but I also feel weird listing these under only one. I tried 'Responsibilities and skills similar to those listed under ____ Zoo' but I've gotten some bad feedback on that from proofreaders.

Any ideas?

Bringing this back up.

How have people listed multiple externships where your skills/responsibilities were essentially identical? I've done 3 zoo externships and for each one, I've monitored anesthesia, drew blood/placed catheters, performed necropsies, etc. It looks stupid when I repeat these things 3x, but I also feel weird listing these under only one. I tried 'Responsibilities and skills similar to those listed under ____ Zoo' but I've gotten some bad feedback on that from proofreaders.

Any ideas?
Do you have to put skills? Honest question and I don't know if there is a right answer or not. As cool as those experiences and skills probably are, those are things I would reasonably expect an extern to do and if you did them at all three places they must not be all that unique. I know that for a CV the expectation is a longer document, but I personally would rather see someone be brief and just tell me where they went rather than reading the same thing for three separate entries. Maybe I did it wrong, but for what it is worth, I didn't list individual skills from externships on mine and was still successful, but I guess ymmv. I listed some skills for paid jobs I have had, but for externships I just had a heading for that and listed the places I went. I figured if they wanted to know more about an experience or how many surgeries or whatever I had done they could ask in an interview. Or I could toss it into my letter of intent to show how the experience impacted me without duplicating things in the CV. I know that doesn't really help you with the wording, but anyway.

Do you have to put skills? Honest question and I don't know if there is a right answer or not. As cool as those experiences and skills probably are, those are things I would reasonably expect an extern to do and if you did them at all three places they must not be all that unique. I know that for a CV the expectation is a longer document, but I personally would rather see someone be brief and just tell me where they went rather than reading the same thing for three separate entries. Maybe I did it wrong, but for what it is worth, I didn't list individual skills from externships on mine and was still successful, but I guess ymmv. I listed some skills for paid jobs I have had, but for externships I just had a heading for that and listed the places I went. I figured if they wanted to know more about an experience or how many surgeries or whatever I had done they could ask in an interview. Or I could toss it into my letter of intent to show how the experience impacted me without duplicating things in the CV. I know that doesn't really help you with the wording, but anyway.
I was starting to think this might be better (just listing where I went) after I posted, so I'm glad you're thinking that too. Another piece of advice I've gotten is to specifically mention that I was 'Selected for an externship' since not all SA people realize that zoo externships are actually very competitive...thoughts? I'd still be listing it multiple times. I was also going to list any special projects for these externships but I think that's more important to include than skills.

I was starting to think this might be better (just listing where I went) after I posted, so I'm glad you're thinking that too. Another piece of advice I've gotten is to specifically mention that I was 'Selected for an externship' since not all SA people realize that zoo externships are actually very competitive...thoughts? I'd still be listing it multiple times. I was also going to list any special projects for these externships but I think that's more important to include than skills.
I think I'd try to slip the 'selected for' into my letter of intent...like if you're stating your career goals and how these experiences you were selector for have helped shape it? Depends on what content you already have for your LOI I suppose. As someone reading an application, I would personally rather see the special projects than redundant skills for sure.