VMCAS Question: Contact Phone Numbers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a really quick question about VMCAS and if anyone can help I would appreciate it. When filling out my community activities section does it look bad to not put in a contact phone number? I am only asking because some of my activities are from about seven years ago while I was still in high school. I am not even sure if anyone whom I worked with back then is even still working. Any advice?
 
I think on some of my non-vet related work experience, I didn't have contact numbers. Nothing came of me leaving them out, but I don't know if it hurt me or not.

Seven years seems like a stretch for adcoms to check on high school community service hours, but I could be wrong.
 
I don't think it would hurt to leave it out, but I don't think putting it down would hurt you either. I doubt they'd call anyway, but even if they do if it's from that long ago, I bet it would be to make sure the place actually exists or something. If anything, they'll prob ask "I was calling to verify that X volunteered at your org in 2003" and the person on the other line will prob go "uhhh, maybe, but I couldn't tell ya, I wasn't there for that long." No biggie as long as it's not like you're listing it as the highlight of your application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had a few activities where I either couldn't put down a number (similar to you, experiences from too long ago) or there was legitimately no number to put down. I think file reviewers understand that.

Now if you didn't put down a number for a vet clinic you were supposedly working at last week or something...THAT would be a little fishy.
 
Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to put down just any old number. I doubt think they will call anyway.