This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I’m in a similar boat! Rejected from 1, and waitlisted for the rest. You’re not alone!

Thanks Silkie :) I saw you got waitlisted for UW Madison - last year they went through so many, so there's hope! I'm rooting for you! But it would also be really neat if we get into Western together!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
guess i'll throw this here:
1st time applicant, applied to 3 schools- waitlist interview MWU (taking it as a rejection at this point), waitlist for seat at WesternU, and waiting to hear back from Michigan State.

fingers crossed that MSU wants me... :unsure:
if not i'll be finishing up my BS this year and doing file reviews for next cycle!

Rejected from Western, MWU, Minnesota, and Iowa
Waitlist at Kansas (IS) and also waiting to hear from Michigan State!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I’m waitlisted at Auburn OOS, should I request a file review or wait?

Thanks Silkie :) I saw you got waitlisted for UW Madison - last year they went through so many, so there's hope! I'm rooting for you! But it would also be really neat if we get into Western together!

Im rooting for you too!! All we can do is be positive and patient! I hope to see you in the fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
I like this group a lot because all the positivity makes me feel like its all gonna work out lol

Reactions: 11 users
I suppose I should update and say that I've been rejected from UW Madison and now the only hope I have is Western's waitlist. This makes 8 rejections and 1 waitlist. I'm really interested in getting file reviews later in case I have to reapply, but I have a feeling it was just a matter of being very average among brilliant/excellent/extraordinary people. I've been trying not to be sad for these last couple of months, but boy has it been hard. Sorry for complaining, I just kind of wanted to get that out there.

Same here. Waitlisted at Western. April is far away, and let's be honest, we probably won't hear anything until May anyway. It's anxiety inducing! I keep trying to perk myself up, but some days are easier than others. At least I have my cats to remind me that at the end of the day what matters most is that I am a good cat mom. :cat:
Also I am making a contingency plan and applying to get my MPH to boost my GPA since I was planning to get one anyway.
I hope we all get offers! :highfive:

Waitlisted at Washington State & Tufts which ironically were my two top schools. I feel that I have a good chance at WSU waitlist, not sure about the Tufts waitlist however.

Waitlisted at Tufts, which was my first choice - so bummed. I have an offer at Penn, though, so I'm trying to stay positive!

I wonder if it's just a numbers game at this point; maybe they just had more than enough qualified applicants to fill the slots?

Just saw this gem. This is what vet med admissions is from the moment VMCAS opens. You have to remember that there's 3000ish spots available and something like 8000 applicants. Every school over-accepts by a certain percentage. So there is always more qualified applicants than there are spots. That's why acceptance is based just as much on the applicant as the applicant themself.

Reactions: 3 users
Same here. Waitlisted at Western. April is far away, and let's be honest, we probably won't hear anything until May anyway. It's anxiety inducing! I keep trying to perk myself up, but some days are easier than others. At least I have my cats to remind me that at the end of the day what matters most is that I am a good cat mom. :cat:
Also I am making a contingency plan and applying to get my MPH to boost my GPA since I was planning to get one anyway.
I hope we all get offers! :highfive:

Yes!! I've definitely been spooning my dog a lot more (I feel less weird saying that to a bunch of pre-vet people). And I've also been looking into getting either a masters or a graduate certificate in Veterinary Forensic Science, but the problem is, the program will start in August meaning that none of that will be on my transcripts for this coming cycle's application. I was really pumped to boost my GPA as well, but now I'm realizing that it won't help me at all in that department. It might make me look special though, I guess! Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Yes!! I've definitely been spooning my dog a lot more (I feel less weird saying that to a bunch of pre-vet people). And I've also been looking into getting either a masters or a graduate certificate in Veterinary Forensic Science, but the problem is, the program will start in August meaning that none of that will be on my transcripts for this coming cycle's application. I was really pumped to boost my GPA as well, but now I'm realizing that it won't help me at all in that department. It might make me look special though, I guess! Ughhhhhhhhhhh
The boosted GPA may not be on the next cycle’s application, but the course work will still be listed as “planned” for Fall 2019. It will still show schools that 1) you have other interests besides straight vetmed, and 2) you’re working to broaden the scope of your science background and enhance your skill set!

Are there any courses at local colleges you can take over the summer to boost your GPA? I know some schools are happy to see science elective courses, even if they aren’t true prerequisites (I.e. upper level bio or chem classes).

Members don't see this ad :)
The boosted GPA may not be on the next cycle’s application, but the course work will still be listed as “planned” for Fall 2019. It will still show schools that 1) you have other interests besides straight vetmed, and 2) you’re working to broaden the scope of your science background and enhance your skill set!

Are there any courses at local colleges you can take over the summer to boost your GPA? I know some schools are happy to see science elective courses, even if they aren’t true prerequisites (I.e. upper level bio or chem classes).

That's true! Thanks - that made me feel better! Hmm... I think doing the certificate/masters and taking extra courses at a local college is kind of an either or for me, so I'm going to go with the certificate/masters. This is mostly because I'm going to try to work as a vet assistant somewhere in this gap year, and it seems a bit much to be doing all three things. Also, the veterinary forensic courses are really interesting to me, and I think I would try to complete them either pre-DVM or post-DVM to enhance my career in shelter medicine. Just some thoughts!

That's true! Thanks - that made me feel better! Hmm... I think doing the certificate/masters and taking extra courses at a local college is kind of an either or for me, so I'm going to go with the certificate/masters. This is mostly because I'm going to try to work as a vet assistant somewhere in this gap year, and it seems a bit much to be doing all three things. Also, the veterinary forensic courses are really interesting to me, and I think I would try to complete them either pre-DVM or post-DVM to enhance my career in shelter medicine. Just some thoughts!
If you think your GPA is good enough that you stand a chance at some schools, then applying this round is fine even though the courses you’d be taking won’t factor into your GPA. I’m not sure how much weight the fact that you’re planning to take these courses has in your application, but maybe someone else can chime in on that? It’s actually super common to do a masters/post-bacc before getting into vet schools. I don’t know the numbers, but just from talking with other people who took a gap year, it seemed like half of them were doing supplementary coursework. It’s a really great way to strengthen an application. Also, if you don’t get in this next cycle before finishing your courses, know that you’ll still be much more competitive the cycle after that because of your coursework. It’s not so much about how you get there as it is about just getting there. There are dozens of ways to get into vet school. Keep it up and don’t lost hope. You’re doing what you need to do.

If you think your GPA is good enough that you stand a chance at some schools, then applying this round is fine even though the courses you’d be taking won’t factor into your GPA. I’m not sure how much weight the fact that you’re planning to take these courses has in your application, but maybe someone else can chime in on that? It’s actually super common to do a masters/post-bacc before getting into vet schools. I don’t know the numbers, but just from talking with other people who took a gap year, it seemed like half of them were doing supplementary coursework. It’s a really great way to strengthen an application. Also, if you don’t get in this next cycle before finishing your courses, know that you’ll still be much more competitive the cycle after that because of your coursework. It’s not so much about how you get there as it is about just getting there. There are dozens of ways to get into vet school. Keep it up and don’t lost hope. You’re doing what you need to do.

Thank you! Well, here's my thinking (I apologize for turning this waitlist thread into a "what are my chances" thread) - the hard sciences (chem + ochem especially) were my weaknesses. If I took those courses again and by some miracle managed to get an A or two or three, a fair amount of the schools I want to apply to will only average the two grades, which doesn't help too much. And also if I were to take those courses again, those would only show up as "planned" courses as well for this cycle, right? Agh I don't know. I thought the certificate/masters would make me stand out. I had very average GPAs... my cumulative this past round was a 3.42, science 3.2, last 45 3.7 or 3.8? I also had a couple thousand hours of vet and animal experience with all types of animals. Aghhhh maybe you're right - maybe I should try to take the chem classes again!

Thank you! Well, here's my thinking (I apologize for turning this waitlist thread into a "what are my chances" thread) - the hard sciences (chem + ochem especially) were my weaknesses. If I took those courses again and by some miracle managed to get an A or two or three, a fair amount of the schools I want to apply to will only average the two grades, which doesn't help too much. And also if I were to take those courses again, those would only show up as "planned" courses as well for this cycle, right? Agh I don't know. I thought the certificate/masters would make me stand out. I had very average GPAs... my cumulative this past round was a 3.42, science 3.2, last 45 3.7 or 3.8? I also had a couple thousand hours of vet and animal experience with all types of animals. Aghhhh maybe you're right - maybe I should try to take the chem classes again!
Wow I didn’t know your stats before, but they’re really not bad at all. Maybe apply to schools that focus on last-45. I was somehow considered competitive with a 3.32 (3.0 VMCAS) but my last-45 was a 3.7 something. Just bolster your application with other things as well. Experience is a good way to make up for academic shortcomings. Maybe retake the GRE if you were only average. Do what you can do to get in this next cycle, and I think having those planned courses will at least look good if nothing else. As far as experience goes, the average this cycle was 1200 vet, 1200 animal, and 200 research. If you have well above that, you’re competitive for experience. I really think you’ll get in somewhere at some point. Just keep trying!

Also I feel like this thread is for waitlisted people to ask about waitlists, share their concerns, etc. I don’t think this is turning into too much of a “what are my chances” sort of thread. Just offering a small bit of encouragement, I guess

Wow I didn’t know your stats before, but they’re really not bad at all. Maybe apply to schools that focus on last-45. I was somehow considered competitive with a 3.32 (3.0 VMCAS) but my last-45 was a 3.7 something. Just bolster your application with other things as well. Experience is a good way to make up for academic shortcomings. Maybe retake the GRE if you were only average. Do what you can do to get in this next cycle, and I think having those planned courses will at least look good if nothing else. As far as experience goes, the average this cycle was 1200 vet, 1200 animal, and 200 research. If you have well above that, you’re competitive for experience. I really think you’ll get in somewhere at some point. Just keep trying!

Also I feel like this thread is for waitlisted people to ask about waitlists, share their concerns, etc. I don’t think this is turning into too much of a “what are my chances” sort of thread. Just offering a small bit of encouragement, I guess

Yes I agree! I need to apply smarter, I think! Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, and congratulations to you for getting into UPenn!!!!!!!!!

Yes I agree! I need to apply smarter, I think! Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, and congratulations to you for getting into UPenn!!!!!!!!!
No problem! And thanks so much!!!

I'm OOS waitlist for Oregon State (unranked) and number 3 on the IS waitlist for University of Minnesota!

I was alternate number 26 at LSU but on Tuesday my spot bumped back to number 30 with the addition of the last set of alternates. I'm really hoping for a call as this school is my top pick. I think historically they've made it past number 30 each year, however they did indicate they've made some "admissions changes". I hope that doesn't mean they overaccepted.

I was alternate number 26 at LSU but on Tuesday my spot bumped back to number 30 with the addition of the last set of alternates. I'm really hoping for a call as this school is my top pick. I think historically they've made it past number 30 each year, however they did indicate they've made some "admissions changes". I hope that doesn't mean they overaccepted.

The overacceptance thing is really frustrating/disheartening! I understand why they do it, but at the same time... ugh. I hope you get a call soon!!!

Hi all! I'm waitlisted at Western as well. I have an acceptance at SGU, but a post earlier in this thread mentioned forfeiting your deposit for a school you accepted if you get off the waitlist at another school. Interesting... I'm curious, does anyone know anyone that has done that?

I have been waitlisted at Kansas, Western and LSU (ranked #46) and I am still waiting to hear from LMU and I have 2 interviews at Illinois and Minnesota later this month. Previously in this thread people have talked about the likelihood of being pulled off of Westerns waitlist but I was wondering if anyone knows about Kansas and LSU? When I visit Kansas I loved it so much and I was super confident about my interview so I was pretty disappointed when I was placed as an alternate. I guess I want to see if anyone knows my chances of being pulled off the waitlist at either school.
Guess I'll update everyone. Now waitlisted at a 4th school. That makes it LSU, KS, WesternU and MN. I am so frustrated. It seems like I'm so close but just not good enough to get accepted. I'm happy I haven't been rejected from anywhere after an interview and I know it's not over until it's over but ugh I want this so bad and it's hard to keep waiting. Anyways, I should be hearing from UI and LMU soon, so I might be back with a 5th waitlist in a couple weeks, but hopefully not lol

Hi all! I'm waitlisted at Western as well. I have an acceptance at SGU, but a post earlier in this thread mentioned forfeiting your deposit for a school you accepted if you get off the waitlist at another school. Interesting... I'm curious, does anyone know anyone that has done that?
I know a couple people that have done that. It’s really not super uncommon. Typically if you’re deadset on a school and you get in immediately, you withdraw all other applications and from waitlists. If you get into one school but prefer to go to a school you’re waitlisted at, it’s perfectly acceptable to put down your deposit for the school you’re accepted to and stay on the waitlist at your preferred school. If you don’t get off the waitlist, you’re still going to vet school. If you do get off the waitlist, you let the other school know you’ll no longer be attending and you forfeit your deposit. I think you just need to sort out your fafsa info so that your loans get applied to the school you’re going to and you don’t run into any issues.

Guess I'll update everyone. Now waitlisted at a 4th school. That makes it LSU, KS, WesternU and MN. I am so frustrated. It seems like I'm so close but just not good enough to get accepted. I'm happy I haven't been rejected from anywhere after an interview and I know it's not over until it's over but ugh I want this so bad and it's hard to keep waiting. Anyways, I should be hearing from UI and LMU soon, so I might be back with a 5th waitlist in a couple weeks, but hopefully not lol
At least with those standards, the chance of someone pulling you off their waitlist is pretty high!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
At least with those standards, the chance of someone pulling you off their waitlist is pretty high!! :)
I keep trying to tell myself that! I just see people post on here all the time about never getting off waitlists and having to apply again (which I totally would do) so I'm going to be anxious all the way up until I get a call from someone... if I ever do.

I know a couple people that have done that. It’s really not super uncommon. Typically if you’re deadset on a school and you get in immediately, you withdraw all other applications and from waitlists. If you get into one school but prefer to go to a school you’re waitlisted at, it’s perfectly acceptable to put down your deposit for the school you’re accepted to and stay on the waitlist at your preferred school. If you don’t get off the waitlist, you’re still going to vet school. If you do get off the waitlist, you let the other school know you’ll no longer be attending and you forfeit your deposit. I think you just need to sort out your fafsa info so that your loans get applied to the school you’re going to and you don’t run into any issues.

Makes sense. Thank you! I've got a spot at SGU, but I'm from Oregon, I've got friends going to Western, and not to mention my boyfriend lives in California, so it's something I might think about if the opportunity arises. I know it's a slim chance, but at least I've got a spot somewhere!

I keep trying to tell myself that! I just see people post on here all the time about never getting off waitlists and having to apply again (which I totally would do) so I'm going to be anxious all the way up until I get a call from someone... if I ever do.
Yea but most people get put on one or two waitlists, not four. The fact that four schools deemed you worthy enough to not reject you really does bode well. Obviously a straight up acceptance would be nice, but for now you should keep your head up and believe you’re going to get in. Wish it into the universe.

Reactions: 5 users
Same :) but we want it enough so hopefully it’s our time!

I am in the same boat as you with 4 waitlists so far (still waiting on Georgia). I agree that it is so difficult to wait until April to find out where I stand, especially with my SO waiting to apply to jobs wherever I *may* end up. For now, I am beginning to plan a gap year by applying to jobs and thinking of ways to improve my application, but I really hope I get a call one day. :unsure:

Waitlisted at UPenn, we haven’t found out yet what number we are... just hoping I end off the waitlist because that’s where I really want to end up going

Waitlisted at UPenn, we haven’t found out yet what number we are... just hoping I end off the waitlist because that’s where I really want to end up going
Random, but I think I know who you are based on reading your stats a little while back. I graduated from Cornell in 2017 and we had a couple classes together. I think you were even my TA once or twice. Rooting for ya!!

Random, but I think I know who you are based on reading your stats a little while back. I graduated from Cornell in 2017 and we had a couple classes together. I think you were even my TA once or twice. Rooting for ya!!
haha I've only ever TA'd one class and it was last semester! Always appreciate the fellow big red support-- hope you get in as well!

Rejected from Kansas, accepted to Oklahoma, waiting on A&M, and on Purdues OOS waitlist!

Does anyone know if the Purdue OOS waitlist moves much?

I think I win the waitlist contest—I’m on six! So depressing but I’m trying not to lose faith.

Oh wow that’s a lot. Which schools are you waitlisted for?

I feel like with six waitlists you definitely have a more than good chance of getting off at least one :p hope everything works out for you!

Let’s see—Mississippi State, Auburn, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Ohio State. Thanks for the support!

I think I win the waitlist contest—I’m on six! So depressing but I’m trying not to lose faith.
I feel your pain. The worst is the wait, but I am also trying to stay positive!

Down to #4 on Davis waitlist. SO CLOSE. YET SO FAR. Hello to the four people thinking about going to Davis - you don't reeeeally want to, right?

Reactions: 9 users
Down to #4 on Davis waitlist. SO CLOSE. YET SO FAR. Hello to the four people thinking about going to Davis - you don't reeeeally want to, right?
YOURE NOT FAR, YOURE SO FREAKING CLOSE

Also, jealousy is not pretty, but I’m pretty envious of you with ranked waitlist. I just keep assuming I’m the last one on the list lol

Reactions: 2 users
YOURE NOT FAR, YOURE SO FREAKING CLOSE

Also, jealousy is not pretty, but I’m pretty envious of you with ranked waitlist. I just keep assuming I’m the last one on the list lol

I am so sorry to those on unranked wait list :( I would be stressing out (at least you can't check your rank 8 times a day?? I guess??)

Reactions: 4 users
I am so sorry to those on unranked wait list :( I would be stressing out (at least you can't check your rank 8 times a day?? I guess??)
That’s fair, that’s a silver lining! :)

Does anyone know if schools typically separate IS and OOS for waitlists? I'm on upenn and cornell's waitlists and I was just curious (penn is my IS).

If it makes you feel better, I would much much rather have 8 waitlists than my 8 rejections! I'm cheering for you! When you get in to one or more of these 6 schools, we shall have a tiny internet party! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if schools typically separate IS and OOS for waitlists? I'm on upenn and cornell's waitlists and I was just curious (penn is my IS).
I’m wondering the same thing... anyone have information about the waitlists?

I’m pretty sure Cornell separates. Not sure about penn

I’m pretty sure Cornell separates. Not sure about penn

I’m wondering the same thing... anyone have information about the waitlists?
In the past Penn has separated their waitlists. This goes back to 2021 because I couldn’t find anything on 2022. So unless they decided to change things this year, they’re separate,

In the past Penn has separated their waitlists. This goes back to 2021 because I couldn’t find anything on 2022. So unless they decided to change things this year, they’re separate,
Do you think it’s like that for all school?

Do you think it’s like that for all school?
It’s definitely not the same for all schools. Your best bet is, depending on where you’re waitlisted from, asking their admissions department if it’s separate or not.

Does anyone know how the illinois waitlist went last year? I'm trying to search in previous threads but coming up short..