This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was through FAFSA itself I believe. It usually is done close to graduation. It’s mostly the same questions as entrance counseling, where you fill in numbers to make sure you’re actually reading and paying attention. They ask things like “who do you contact if XYZ thing happens?” And then you answer “my student loan officer” or whatever. And then towards the end you get to select which payment option you want.
Oh, I see. Yeah I remember that. Thanks for the info! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Update: I'm now waitlisted at two schools: Iowa State and Michigan State! I know this doesn't even hold a candle to some of you that have been put on multiple waitlists but try to keep up hope that's all we can do at this point. I definitely thought when I got a rejection from Madison (IS) that I didn't have a chance at OOS anywhere so I'd have to say even though it's not what I really want to hear a waitlist is still a blessing to me!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently waitlisted for OOS WSU (unranked) and #77 OOS for UMN (Minnesota), which are my top two picks. I got accepted into Illinois but am waiting in hopes of hearing back from WSU or UMN. I will send Illinois the official acceptance once April comes.

Anyone know how the UMN waitlist is going?

Unclear, I know people on the UMN 2023 thread said they go into the 20-30s for the OOS, but living expenses seems to be a big drawback for people. I'm in the same boat, going to send my deposit but keep watching the MN waitlist.

UMN does not call people off of the waitlist until the April 15th deadline has passed, so I'd go ahead and accept a seat now if you have it.
The waitlist is different every year and there's no guarantee it'll move at all, but I think it usually goes at least into the 20s-30s, if not further.

So since the desicions for Michigan are out, does anyone know how much their OOS waitlist has moved in prior years?

Reactions: 1 user
I posted here earlier but trying to decide plans for the next year. I was waitlisted OOS at Auburn and accepted to MWU. AT first I was considering not going to MWU and reapplying, to hopefully attend auburn the next cycle if I didn’t get called off the OOS waitlist, primarily due to cost and how much I loved AUCVM. However, I’m nervous about reapplying and not getting accepted next round, and am really ready to start a new chapter in my life. I’ll be OOS anywhere, so in state tuition is not an option for me. Anyone have any suggestions or have been in a similar position?

I posted here earlier but trying to decide plans for the next year. I was waitlisted OOS at Auburn and accepted to MWU. AT first I was considering not going to MWU and reapplying, to hopefully attend auburn the next cycle if I didn’t get called off the OOS waitlist, primarily due to cost and how much I loved AUCVM. However, I’m nervous about reapplying and not getting accepted next round, and am really ready to start a new chapter in my life. I’ll be OOS anywhere, so in state tuition is not an option for me. Anyone have any suggestions or have been in a similar position?

One of the Dr. I worked for told me that you never know how a second round will go so take your acceptances the first time around you applied to those schools for a reason

Reactions: 5 users
One of the Dr. I worked for told me that you never know how a second round will go so take your acceptances the first time around you applied to those schools for a reason

I tend to agree with this comment. It seems there are more and more applicants each year so veterinary school isn't becoming any less competitive, and do you really want to go through another application cycle if you don't necessarily have to do so? Personally, I would take MWU and run especially since you are OOS everywhere you apply; no astronomical attendance cost differences involved that play into the decision.

I'm definitely not saying you aren't capable of being accepted to Auburn next cycle because no vet school waitlists anyone they cannot see attending their program. I would just want to play it 100% safe and go ahead and start in the fall at MWU.

Just my two cents :)

Reactions: 2 users
Exactly, especially with multiple schools have a dramatic increase in applicants this year!

I tend to agree with this comment. It seems there are more and more applicants each year so veterinary school isn't becoming any less competitive, and do you really want to go through another application cycle if you don't necessarily have to do so? Personally, I would take MWU and run especially since you are OOS everywhere you apply; no astronomical attendance cost differences involved that play into the decision.

I'm definitely not saying you aren't capable of being accepted to Auburn next cycle because no vet school waitlists anyone they cannot see attending their program. I would just want to play it 100% safe and go ahead and start in the fall at MWU.

Just my two cents :)

Thank you for all of your responses! This is the direction I’m going in and I was having similar thoughts, however auburn is around 70K a year OOS for COA, Midwestern is around 90-95K for COA. THats a pretty heavy difference- so that’s my main concern. I guess all of it is a lot of money, was just in love with the school. What are your thoughts on sending letters of intent ?

Currently #6 at University of Minnesota waitlist and #29 at Michigan States waitlist. Should I still consider both of these schools as feasible options for entry?

I’m also on VMCVM and Westerns waitlist.

I’ve been accepted to Iowa State and Midwestern.

Currently #6 at University of Minnesota waitlist and #29 at Michigan States waitlist. Should I still consider both of these schools as feasible options for entry?
If they generally see a decent amount of waitlist movement, you could start to consider what you would do if accepted to both schools, but also figure out what you’d do if not accepted off any waitlists and decide between your initial acceptances. It could be a weird year where the waitlists don’t see ANY movement and then you’d still have your plan from your initial acceptances. Personally, I’d still put down a deposit for whichever acceptance is cheaper and then see what happens after the deadline if one of the waitlists is cheaper than whichever initial acceptance you place a deposit at. It’s fine to wait until closer to the deadline to send your deposit, but don’t bank on getting pulled and decline both acceptances because then you’ll be kicking yourself if it’s a weird cycle with minimal movement. To me, losing that $500 and getting pulled off a waitlist for a cheaper school is worth it to know you’ve secured a spot and will be going to vet school, no matter how the waitlists shake out.

If all your waitlist spots are more expensive than one of your initial acceptances, then I’d personally choose that one and be done with it and start getting things together for that school. *shrug*

Did you contact Michigan to get your position on the waitlist? I received an email last night notifying me I am on the waitlist but there was no number of my position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you contact Michigan to get your position on the waitlist? I received an email last night notifying me I am on the waitlist but there was no number of my position.
I emailed them last night after and they responded this morning.

I’d guess that you stand a very good chance of making it off of both of the ranked waitlists and quite possibly from the unranked ones as well.

Do you have a strong preference for one of these schools??? Generally speaking, I’d recommend going with the cheapest option. If you have options that are within just a couple thousand dollars of each other, then proximity to home, climate, curriculum etc could play a larger role.

Congrats on your acceptances!!! You’re going to get a great education no matter which school you choose

But if you’re gonna go there, ya better not be calling it “Michigan” so might as well start now.
Michigan has no vet school. Michigan State does.

Obviously... you knew what I meant when I replied to someone specifically about Michigan STATE. If you don’t have any helpful feedback I don’t think you need to reply just point that out and try be a funny person. I was simply asking somebody else for information. We are all stressed about the waitlists so no fun poking at somebody else. Regardless, good luck with your future ventures

Reactions: 8 users
Obviously... you knew what I meant when I replied to someone specifically about Michigan STATE. If you don’t have any helpful feedback I don’t think you need to reply just point that out and try be a funny person. I was simply asking somebody else for information. We are all stressed about the waitlists so no fun poking at somebody else. Regardless, good luck with your future ventures
Not trying to be a funny person. It just grinds my gears when people mix the two up. They are different. Same with all the other schools with “state” in the name. You wouldn’t want to be saying “Michigan” or “Colorado” or “Iowa” if you went there.

I’m gonna back you up in this one Optimisicwaitlist... like no need for the extra stress on others.. you can say bothers you if they say it like that but there’s a nicer way for to point out how you would prefer it.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m gonna back you up in this one Optimisicwaitlist... like no need for the extra stress on others.. you can say bothers you if they say it like that but there’s a nicer way for to point out how you would prefer it.
Lol if you think an emoji is a mean way of pointing something out then okay have fun

Lol if you think an emoji is a mean way of pointing something out then okay have fun
you were rude to someone for no reason, over something that has nothing to do with you, in a thread that has nothing to do with you. so here's another emoji since that apparently excuses everything :whistle:

Reactions: 5 users
you were rude to someone for no reason, over something that has nothing to do with you, in a thread that has nothing to do with you. so here's another emoji since that apparently excuses everything :whistle:
I was not rude.
When it’s this emoji :p it’s meant as more of a silly thing. Not something serious brah.
Maybe chill your tits, watch some Netflix, and focus on improving your applications in case you have to reapply instead of stressing that you’re on a waitlist. Take it as a rejection and start focusing on next cycle and how you can be better and if you end up getting in over the summer, great. You just have more experience under your belt.

I was not rude.
When it’s this emoji :p it’s meant as more of a silly thing. Not something serious brah.
Maybe chill your tits, watch some Netflix, and focus on improving your applications in case you have to reapply instead of stressing that you’re on a waitlist.
oh lord :laugh: i have multiple acceptances, i'm not stressing about any of my waitlists nor will i be reapplying. however, the person you corrected who only joined this forum TODAY and whose username is literally *optimistic waitlist* is probably very stressed and going through a difficult time. so maybe take that into account next time before you feel the need to bring up something completely trivial in a thread that doesn't apply to you.

I was not rude.
Maybe chill your tits, watch some Netflix, and focus on improving your applications in case you have to reapply instead of stressing that you’re on a waitlist. Take it as a rejection and start focusing on next cycle and how you can be better and if you end up getting in over the summer, great. You just have more experience under your belt.
Did you just tell someone to take something as a rejection? I totally understand preparing just in case but I would hope this thread can stay a bit more supportive.

Did you just tell someone to take something as a rejection? I totally understand preparing just in case but I would hope this thread can stay a bit more supportive.
So you suggest they just sit around stressing and hoping to be accepted instead of getting out there and improving their application on the off chance that they need to reapply? Well I don’t. That’s not productive at all. And just puts you behind in case you need to reapply.

oh lord :laugh: i have multiple acceptances, i'm not stressing about any of my waitlists nor will i be reapplying. however, the person you corrected who only joined this forum TODAY and whose username is literally *optimistic waitlist* is probably very stressed and going through a difficult time. so maybe take that into account next time before you feel the need to bring up something completely trivial in a thread that doesn't apply to you.
Cool good for you.
It was a bit of ribbing because "Michigan" without the “state” here refers to a different school that MSU has a rivalry with but it was clearly intended to be friendly. Hence the :p. But if you and the waitlisters on here would rather not engage socially and want to stick to solely worrying about waitlists then I'll see myself out. Enjoy the stress.

So you suggest they just sit around stressing and hoping to be accepted instead of getting out there and improving their application on the off chance that they need to reapply? Well I don’t. That’s not productive at all. And just puts you behind in case you need to reapply.
No, I’m suggesting they be proud of the fact that a waitlist is NOT a rejection and stay positive throughout this process. Bettering your application and staying positive are not mutually exclusive.

No, I’m suggesting they be proud of the fact that a waitlist is NOT a rejection and stay positive throughout this process. Bettering your application and staying positive are not mutually exclusive.
I never said making it to a waitlist isn’t an accomplishment. It means you were a good applicant for that school. And they can stay positive but they also need to keep reality in check and they should not be assuming that they are going to make it off. If they do, great. There is absolutely NO use in stressing about being on a waitlist. There is nothing you can do at that point except better your application and start preparing for next cycle.
I have been on the waitlist two cycles. I’m not new to this.

You're misinterpreting this piece of advice.

"Take it as a rejection" means don't sit around doing nothing while you're waiting to find out. Improve your application. Work on Plan B. Don't put everything on pause. Move forward as if you have to apply again bc that's the worst case scenario you need to be ready for. That's all. It's not meant to be a negative thing.

The waitlist is not a rejection, this is true. But in terms of what you do next they get treated similarly.

In general, try not to assume ill intent when people on here say things. Many of us have been in your shoes and we're still here because we want to help and offer advice. We didn't stick around just to be rude to people or something. That would be absurd.

Reactions: 3 users
Cool good for you.
It was a bit of ribbing because "Michigan" without the “state” here refers to a different school that MSU has a rivalry with but it was clearly intended to be friendly. Hence the :p. But if you and the waitlisters on here would rather not engage socially and want to stick to solely worrying about waitlists then I'll see myself out. Enjoy the stress.
you don't need to explain it to me. one of my best friends goes to michigan (not michigan STATE!!!!), i'm well aware of the rivalry, and it's completely irrelevant here. if that was an attempt at engaging socially you must be SO MUCH FUN at parties. all of our stress will lessen anyway once you and your negativity leave this thread that was created specifically for a year that you're not in and waitlists you're not on. bon voyage!

I’m sorry, but that wasn’t the advice you gave.
Nope it was exactly the advice I gave. Chill your tits, watch some netflix, and start improving your application. There is no use stressing about being waitlisted. Because there is NOTHING MORE you can do for this current cycle. If you get in, great. If you don’t, it sucks and I know it.

leave this thread that was created specifically for a year that you're not in and waitlists you're not on.
Lol
Good luck telling everyone else on sdn they’re not allowed in other classes threads.
giphy.gif

As a general blanket statement: While I understand many of you are high strung especially about being on a waitlist which I'm sure is grueling. I think alot of you could use a lesson in kindness, understanding, and communication. Internet forums and many types of communication via written word without connotation can easily be misconstrued. As possible future professionals I'm disappointed in the way many responses have came off. I suggest using your time better working on communication skills and approaches to dealing with differences even if you don't agree with them. What started out as a petpeeve has escalated into personal attacks which is unacceptable. Please remember that school reps do read these forms and it's pretty easy to figure out who people are. Focus on yourselves and preparing for reapplication if that is what you have to do and dont dismiss those that have gone through the process they have valuable insight even if you may disagree in some of their opinions.

Reactions: 17 users
you didn’t intend it as advice, you intended it to be hurtful.
Nope. Was advice. You can be hopeful for a spot in the class but you also need to be realistic and realize you are not guaranteed a spot and the waitlist isn’t even guaranteed to move. So no point in stressing about something you cannot change. So move on, try to think about it less, do some fun stuff, and improve for the next cycle.

Nope. Was advice. You can be hopeful for a spot in the class but you also need to be realistic and realize you are not guaranteed a spot and the waitlist isn’t even guaranteed to move. So no point in stressing about something you cannot change. So move on, try to think about it less, do some fun stuff, and improve for the next cycle.
Understood. I apologize for throwing myself into to conversation, I usually stay silent in these types of things. :) I am sorry for any misunderstandings, words can be easily misconstrued.

This thought has been bothering me and I just want to know what you all think about this. Why do some schools put about 170 people on the alternate list? To me it seems extreme since I doubt over 100 people will decline their seats. Has this happened before and that’s why schools do this? Just curious!

AT first I was considering not going to MWU and reapplying, to hopefully attend auburn the next cycle if I didn’t get called off the OOS waitlist, primarily due to cost and how much I loved AUCVM. However, I’m nervous about reapplying and not getting accepted next round

If you decline the acceptance now, you have to be prepared to never be accepted to veterinary school again. Statistically, there are more than double the amount of applicants than there are seats to veterinary school, giving you less than 50% chance of being accepted (either outright or off the wait list). So I would take the acceptance, and then go to Auburn if taken off the list.

however auburn is around 70K a year OOS for COA, Midwestern is around 90-95K for COA. THats a pretty heavy difference- so that’s my main concern. I guess all of it is a lot of money, was just in love with the school. What are your thoughts on sending letters of intent ?

COA can be adjusted by you. The COA for Illinois is ~75k a year. I don't taken nearly that much out for loans. I max out at maybe 65k a year, if that. So keep in mind the COA may be over or underestimated by the school Illinois obviously overestimates. Iowa does not and another user on here has said in the past that Iowa cuts the COA pretty close.

Why do some schools put about 170 people on the alternate list? To me it seems extreme since I doubt over 100 people will decline their seats. Has this happened before and that’s why schools do this?

They very well may have that long of a wait list because of how many people cycle through it. Very occasionally, there are rumors of schools going through their entire wait list. It should never be assumed that's going to happen, but weirder things have happened. Schools are businesses and need to keep classes filled. It doesn't hurt the school to have a very long wait list to work with in case it's a weird year. Some schools also do not rank their wait list and instead will try to fill an empty seat with someone who is more similar to the person who declined their acceptance, rather than just straight in order from the list.

As a note: from the moment you submit your application, you should assume you're going to be rejected (remember <50% chance statistically). You should always be treating your application as a rejection until you have an acceptance in hand. I went through three cycles, with wait list positions at the same school for all three of those years. My only acceptance was from the very last school I interviewed at during my third cycle (received my wait list email for the third time on the drive back from my Illinois interview). My first cycle, I was woefully unprepared for the fact I was wait listed and had no plan. My second cycle application definitely suffered because I waited around to be called off the list.

The vast majority of applicants apply to more than one school. There is a really good chance that someone on their waitlist is also on other waitlist or was outright accepted somewhere, so that means they need long lists.

This thought has been bothering me and I just want to know what you all think about this. Why do some schools put about 170 people on the alternate list? To me it seems extreme since I doubt over 100 people will decline their seats. Has this happened before and that’s why schools do this? Just curious!
Some schools actually do go through their entire waitlist. Mississippi State is a good example. They’ve had years where they’ve gone through the entire waitlist and called people who were denied so they could fill the class. Western is another one. Some years they don’t call a ton of people, and other years they’ve gone through most of the waitlist.

However, some schools seem to just do it as a courtesy. No one here (barring the couple people who pop in from time to time) is on an admissions committee so it’s tough to say for sure. Look at med schools, for example. Schools like Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Penn, and Stanford have waitlists that literally don’t move many years. In undergrad, some of these schools have waitlists that also don’t move but they’ll put thousands of people on them. If you’re waitlisted from Johns Hopkins for undergrad, you’re almost guaranteed to not get in. Obviously vet schools work differently, but the concept of putting tons of people on waitlists that don’t move isn’t uncommon at all. Especially for schools that are in high demand, e.g. schools that are cheaper, accept mostly in state students, and have really good programs for certain areas.

Edit: I posted this before I saw what @JaynaAli said. But yea definitely that too.

They very well may have that long of a wait list because of how many people cycle through it. Very occasionally, there are rumors of schools going through their entire wait list. It should never be assumed that's going to happen, but weirder things have happened. Schools are businesses and need to keep classes filled. It doesn't hurt the school to have a very long wait list to work with in case it's a weird year. Some schools also do not rank their wait list and instead will try to fill an empty seat with someone who is more similar to the person who declined their acceptance, rather than just straight in order from the list.

As a note: from the moment you submit your application, you should assume you're going to be rejected (remember <50% chance statistically). You should always be treating your application as a rejection until you have an acceptance in hand. I went through three cycles, with wait list positions at the same school for all three of those years. My only acceptance was from the very last school I interviewed at during my third cycle (received my wait list email for the third time on the drive back from my Illinois interview). My first cycle, I was woefully unprepared for the fact I was wait listed and had no plan. My second cycle application definitely suffered because I waited around to be called off the list.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense thanks! I messaged you btw

Along those lines, can we go ahead and start asking for file reviews/feedback now?

Along those lines, can we go ahead and start asking for file reviews/feedback now?

Definitely! I’ve contacted three schools this week asking for file reviews and two responded.

So if I am on the waitlist for four schools, do I need to go ahead and fill out a FAFSA just in case? Or how does this work if I get accepted?

I have already started planning for a gap year. I am applying for veterinary internships at zoos. I think what held me back from getting accepted was my age since I am only 20. I also did not have many experience hours (only 400). During one interview, they made a comment about how young I was.
Yeah I was 21 entering vet school and we actually have an 18 year old in my class. Do your file reviews :) It literally can't hurt you.

I'm #9 on the IS wait list at UMN... I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but also stay optimistic. I know the past few years they've gone into the 20s for IS but every years different... on the bright side I've already see one person on here say they denied their IS spot at UMN so I guess that makes me like 8th lol

Ranked 18th for OOS Penn. Trying to stay positive and hope I get the call off the waitlist.