Waitlisted - 9 Mistakes You Don't Want to Make

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doko

holla atcha boy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers,

I know that this has been beaten like a dead horse making super glue, but I really haven't found any EFFECTIVE & GOOD threads on SDN about what to do after you've been waitlisted. (BESIDES sending in an LOI, etc.)

I came across this book called "The Nine Mistakes You Don't Want to Make on a Med School Waitlist." I was wondering if anybody bought it, and could offer some insight into it.

OR, if anybody knew of any websites that they found helpful regarding waitlists.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Doko said:
"The Nine Mistakes You Don't Want to Make on a Med School Waitlist."
That sounds like enought material to fill up one sizable post here on SDN, not an entire book!

#9. don't drive by the school with your windows rolled down yelling "please! please! we were meant for each other!"

#8. don't send the dean of admissions a vermont teddy bear.

#7. don't move into the campus apartment complex "just in case!"

#6. don't send the school an update letter every time you clip your toenails or trim your pubic area.

#5. don't beging attending classes "to get a leg up on the competition next year."

#4. don't run naked through the quad, dripping with raw animal sexuality, fervently penetrating (or being penetrated) by every orifice (or phallic object) you come across. then, don't lie on the grass afterwards smoking a cigarette and spouting post-coitum cliches like "was it good for you too?"

#3. really, don't do #4, especially if there are children present.

#2. don't start telling friends, family, fellow employees, significant others, census workers, mailmen, avon ladies, jehova's witnesses and other total strangers that it's "a lock." it is definitely not a "lock." every time you say the word "lock," it magnifies what a douchebag you'll look like if/when you don't get in.

#1. don't panic just because you were put on a waitlist and make some knee-jerk purchase detailing all the painfully obvious things you shouldn't do in that situation. or, if you must satisfy your own morbid curiosity, go to barnes and noble, find a comfy chair, buy a tasty mocha frappachino, and read the book cover-to-cover without buying it like the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap. Speaking hypothetically, if a waitlisted applicant has done any of the mentioned (especially #4), say twice or more, do you think this blows (figuratively speaking) his chances of getting off the waitlist?

You know... knowing my fellow SDNers, I KNEW that my thread would get hijacked with crazy talk! :laugh:

Doko said:
I came across this book called "The Nine Mistakes You Don't Want to Make on a Med School Waitlist." I was wondering if anybody bought it, and could offer some insight into it.

Sounds like someone is trying to feed off of pre-med paranoia to make a profit. Those business majors are tricksy. :smuggrin:

tacrum43 said:
Sounds like someone is trying to feed off of pre-med paranoia to make a profit. Those business majors are tricksy. :smuggrin:

well, people like doko makes it worth their while. Bottom line is this. dont buy books about med school apart from the MSAR.

temmie said:
well, people like doko makes it worth their while. Bottom line is this. dont buy books about med school apart from the MSAR.

Temmie,

Was that comment really necessary? C'mon. You don't see me making fun of your dog, do you?! I thought you were Christian.

But I guess C.S. Lewis was right when he said, "The biggest hinderance to non-Christians are Christians themselves."

Good luck with NYU.

oh scary, number four is scary, scary. I mean, unless I do it, then people just throw money at me. I mean its not my fault I drip with raw animal sexuality. I've seen a doctor about it, but there's nothing that can be done........... *scary scary scary #4*

omgwtfbbq? said:
oh scary, number four is scary, scary. I mean, unless I do it, then people just throw money at me. I mean its not my fault I drip with raw animal sexuality. I've seen a doctor about it, but there's nothing that can be done........... *scary scary scary #4*

Seriously, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if you get on a waitlist? I'm in that situation and would love to know of resources you have used or just ideas....

Whatever you do, DON'T PANIC.

And don't forget to keep a towel on hand at all times.

+1 refrences count.

FutureDoc2005 said:
Seriously, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if you get on a waitlist? I'm in that situation and would love to know of resources you have used or just ideas....

Last year, I was admitted and ready to attend a great school by January. However, I was admitted to my top choice from a waitlist in June. I sent in a single update to my #1 school, including strong letter of intent to matriculate if admitted (i.e., I WILL attend this school if admitted...), my most recent transcript, a detailed CV, a reprint of a publication I was proud of, and a brief description of my recent involvements in research and volunteerwork. I called the admissions office once to verify they received my update. I sent two copies of everything. I wanted the committee to have some compelling, interesting documents in hand when discussing my case. I really don't know what impact this had, but I made it in. I sent my update in late March. I have to admit, I had wrote them off and was really surprised to hear from them in June. I put alot of work into that update and felt like I was wasting my time. I would say my letter of intent was just as good as my personal statement I used for AMCAS. I guess you never know!

Sparky