MD & DO WAMC: 3.4c/3.2s ; 3.7 grad ; 518 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhadduppDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. GPA: Undergrad: B.S. Pure Mathematics: 3.42 Cumulative, 3.2 Science. Upward trend. Those upper level proofs classes were not nice to my science GPA. Sucks because C's are good grades in those classes, but I know adcoms won't see it that way. I got my act together senior year and made the deans list both semesters w/ full math loads, so that should help. I've additionally done 13 credits of post-bac science courses and gotten a 3.9 GPA. So about 45 credits of much better grades at this point + my 2 year mph.
Grad: MPH in Infectious Diseases from top 10 program: 3.7. Haven't calculated a science, but it would be similar since almost all of my classes are science. Think "Principles of Infectious Diseases" and "Infectious Disease Epi". All faculty in my program are ID physicians or microbio researchers studying vaccines mostly.
2. MCAT: 510 (124/130/127/129) -> 518 (129/131/127/131). Got smoked on a C/P passage and that unexpectedly tanked my score. So I retook and did much better!
3. State of Residence: Maryland. Will have lived in CA for two years upon applying, so will apply to a few UC's as well.
4. Race / Ethnicity: Asian
5. Undergrad Institution: Flagship state school.
6. Clinical Experience: ~800 Hours Total: 450hrs Clinical Research in ICU (Paid). 300hrs as an EMT (Volunteer w/ Fire Dept), lots of interaction w/ ER Physicians (even got to watch a cath lab!). 50hrs of other stuff: I volunteer at a clinic working w/ homeless people that runs once a month, other things
7. Research: ~850hrs: 300hrs Public Health Study on Children's Health Comprehension, 150 Hours on Lean Research in Healthcare, 450 Hours Studying a Sepsis Identification Tool (Just Submitted, let's hope for a pub!)
8. Shadowing: ~75hrs: Intensivists, Hospitalists, Orthopedic Surgeon, Anesthesiologist, ID, Ophthalmology
9. Non-Clinical Volunteering: 300-400 hours: I really need to go back over my last 6 years and figure this out. 200 Hours with Fire Dept doing non-EMT things, 200 hours of other service: collecting food/clothes for homeless, led a sexual assault workshop, etc. With EMT + other clinical volunteering time, my total volunteering is more like 700+.
10. Other ECs: Two semesters of TAing as a grad student. One thing that helps my math narrative and explanation of grades is that even though I got lots of C's in math courses during undergrad, a prestigious institution decided to hire a non-math grad student to TA Calculus. Clearly my grades were more than acceptable for them. This semester I'm TAing Microbiology. I've been tutoring for 6 years. Pre-health fraternity. Freelance Photographer & DJ. Other things.

TL;DR: Basically, I just have no idea what to think. I think my app has many good facets to it, but also a very bad gpa that'll be the first thing (and possibly the only thing) an AdCom will see.

Here's my tentative school list for the 2019 cycle (Will submit 6/1): tried to pick schools mostly with a 10th percentile GPA near mine + 90th percentile MCAT below mine. I also live with my SO, so not being in the middle of nowhere (except east coast) is important. Will likely need to trim this a bit.

MD:

Maryland (The Dream School, also IS)
Georgetown
GW
Uniformed Services University (PHS only)
Tulane
NYMC
Albany MC
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Downstate
U of Vermont
VCU
EVMS
UCLA
UCSF (LoR teaches there)
USC
Penn State
Wake Forest
Rowan University
UCI
Creighton
UMiami
UCF
Drexel
Dartmouth
Loyola Chicago
Virginia Tech
Temple
Tufts
Thomas Jefferson
Geisinger
UIllinois
UColorado
Rush
Quinnipiac
Medical College of Wisconsin
Emory

DO:
CCOM
KCU-COM
PNWU-COM
PCOM
RVU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-CA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools such as Rowan, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Illinois, SUNY Downstate, accept few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state or region. UCLA, UCSF, USC, Emory are reaches with your GPA. You could add these schools:
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser
California University

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools such as Rowan, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Illinois, SUNY Downstate, accept few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state or region. UCLA, UCSF, USC, Emory are reaches with your GPA. You could add these schools:
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser
California University
For Virginia Tech & Rowan, doesn't being from the mid-atlantic help (MD Resident)?

Does the rest of the list look good then?

For Virginia Tech & Rowan, doesn't being from the mid-atlantic help (MD Resident)?

Does the rest of the list look good then?
No, you need to be more local for those schools. The rest of your list is fine but UCI matriculated only 11 non residents last year.