This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtnewb

Reaction score
Edits: tried to make it clear and concise!

Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to online forums and feel like a floundering fish looking at medical school lists. My prehealth advisor is also super swamped as many many advisors left recently, so I haven't heard back and I can't schedule a meeting.

Concerned: my "Reach" is too high? any bad reputation schools? any schools that low-key require more volunteering?

Undergrad: 3.857 (sGPA) and 3.91 (cGPA) ; honors student, summa cum laude
AMCAS: 3.83 (sGPA) and 3.89 (cGPA)
MCAT: 509

Background:
NJ resident, URIM (Afro- and Indo-Caribbean, identifies as mixed or black)
Underserved (first-born in US, parents were VERY young, not much money, father was first in family to go to college, helped mother through online college throughout high school)

Hours:
3000+ research
3000+ clinical hours
~100 shadowing
300+ leadership
~100 volunteer
400-500 tutoring/TA hours
one journal publication (writing case study for first authorship, pending review on 2nd or 3rd author on someone else's dissertation)
**I have had 2 full-time clinical research coordinator positions. i put one as research and one as clinical based on job responsibilities
(administered EKGs, vitals, assisted in biopsies, ran fMRIs, etc on top of patient recruiting, tracking, etc)

Personal:
Much of my work is targeted towards underrepresented children tutoring, researching clinical treatments of diseases/disorders affecting underrepresented adults, and increasing diversity-related programming to help POC underrepresented in STEM gain support and networking/career opportunities

My potentials list based solely on MCAT percentile
  • Match/Not Reach? I hope?
    • All NJ schools
    • EVMS (25th)
    • Temple (25th)
    • Drexel (25th matriculated)
    • Vermont (25th OOS, but matriculated 50th is 510)
    • U Wisconsin (above 25th matriculated, 25th OOS is 510)
    • Penn State (50th matriculated is 510)
    • Albany (25th OOS and matriculated)
  • Reaches :)?
    • NYMC (between 10th and 25th)
    • Georgetown (25th matriculated, but between 10th and 25th OOS)
    • George Washington (25th matriculated, but between 10th and 25th OOS)
    • U Maryland (25th matriculated is 510, 10th OOS is 507)
    • Tufts (10th)
    • Thomas Jefferson (10th)
    • Rochester (10th matriculated)
    • Virginia (25th matriculated, 10th OOS)
    • Rosalind Franklin (25th matriculated, but between 10th and 25th OOS) bad rep?
  • Super mega reach
    • Emory or brown or case western (from a recruitment email from the diversity department, yolo) I mean, ya gotta at least say ya tried at least one crazy money shot
    • Case Western sent a diversity recruitment email to "invite me to apply"??? I'm assuming this is sent to everyone URIM though...

If anyone responds, thank you so much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which URIM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ?
I am half Afro-Caribbean, my parents were both born in the Caribbean. I can go with basic Spanish, but it's often jumbled with Portuguese when I try to hold a conversation lately. I primarily identify as "mixed" or "black" when asked.
Edit: I can't speak fluently Spanish or Portuguese

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 4 NJ MD schools
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St, Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 4 NJ MD schools
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St, Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Thank you so much!!! I greatly appreciate your help. (I can't explain how relieving it is to see some of my absolute dream schools in there!)
Can I ask if they're organized in any particular order? I was hoping to get an idea of how many could be considered target vs reach schools, but if they aren't in any order, no problem!
I'm very appreciative of any guidance, and this list is definitely helpful in reinforcing some I was looking at and is giving me more options to look into.

Thank you so much!!! I greatly appreciate your help. (I can't explain how relieving it is to see some of my absolute dream schools in there!)
Can I ask if they're organized in any particular order? I was hoping to get an idea of how many could be considered target vs reach schools, but if they aren't in any order, no problem!
I'm very appreciative of any guidance, and this list is definitely helpful in reinforcing some I was looking at and is giving me more options to look into.
They are only grouped geographically. Some of them are slight reaches.