DO was relying on grade replacement now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulNeuro22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, long time Lurker 1st time poster.

Before I start I know the reality of my grades. My current cGPA is 3.1 with a sGPA of 2.6. MCAT of 518.

I did terrible during my undergraduate years. No upward trend and I'm not going to make excuses for myself. I was being lazy. I did not care about school and did not study nearly enough. I kicked my butt for the MCAT and think I did pretty well for myself. I was relying on the grade replacement as I retook Orgo 1&2 with As, and took Biochem & anatomy with As as well. I need advice as I can not afford to take any more classes and was wondering if these most recent grades and my MCAT give me a chance.

I have 1800 hours of Clinical experience
100 hours clinical volunteering
2 published papers (in psychology though no hard science research experience)
400 hours of online crisis counseling
300 hours of general volunteering (various religious organizations including ones that help integrate those with special needs into religious spaces)
100 hours of shadowing

Edit: I believe I am an ORM as I am Arab American which is considered White

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest taking additional upper level science courses at a local college to increase your sGPA to 3.0 (community college would be fine). At that point with your MCAT of 518 you would have a 1/3 chance for a MD acceptance and would be competitive for the majority of DO schools.

I suggest taking additional upper level science courses at a local college to increase your sGPA to 3.0 (community college would be fine). At that point with your MCAT of 518 you would have a 1/3 chance for a MD acceptance and would be competitive for the majority of DO schools.

Do I have much of a chance currently? it would be quite a financial burden to continue taking classes even from a community college. I have a savings for my applications but otherwise it is a bit of a struggle..

Members don't see this ad :)
You're neither ORM nor URM. (Asian applicants are ORM.)

Your sGPA is ~3 SD's below that of the average white DO matriculant, while your MCAT is ~3 SD's above that of the average DO matriculant.

A lot of DO schools have a 3.0 sGPA cut-off. I don't think the very high MCAT can compensate for the very low sGPA. Can you work part time to fund CC post-bacc coursework?

Last edited:
You're neither ORM nor URM. (Asian applicants are ORM.)

Your sGPA is ~3 SD's below that of the average white DO matriculant, while your MCAT is ~3 SD's above that of the average DO applicant.

A lot of DO schools have a 3.0 sGPA cut-off. I don't think the very high MCAT can compensate for the very low sGPA. Can you work part time to fund CC post-bacc coursework?
I work full time currently. I could attempt some extra after hours free lancing to afford the courses. How beneficial would CC classes be though? I have heard that taking CC courses are looked down upon.

I work full time currently. I could attempt some extra after hours free lancing to afford the courses. How beneficial would CC classes be though? I have heard that taking CC courses are looked down upon.

DO schools have no problem with CC coursework, especially when the person is working full time and is facing financial constraints.

How many science credits have you taken so far (including both original takes and re-takes)?

DO schools have no problem with CC coursework, especially when the person is working full time and is facing financial constraints.

How many science credits have you taken so far (including both original takes and re-takes)?

+/- a few but I believe it is around 50

+/- a few but I believe it is around 50

OK. In order to raise your sGPA up to a 3.0, you need ~20 credits of A's in science classes. This should be doable in a year's time if you take classes part time during the summer, fall, and spring semesters. If you hit the benchmarks (20+ credits, all A's), you will be set to apply to DO schools in the spring of 2019.

OK. In order to raise your sGPA up to a 3.0, you need ~20 credits of A's in science classes. This should be doable in a year's time if you take classes part time during the summer, fall, and spring semesters. If you hit the benchmarks (20+ credits, all A's), you will be set to apply to DO schools in the spring of 2019.
Thank you! how would I possibly address this in a personal statement since I have not legitimate excuse other then laziness and undiagnosed depression/anxiety (I am aware this is not a legit excuse and do not want to spend my personal statement making excuses.)

Do I have much of a chance currently? it would be quite a financial burden to continue taking classes even from a community college. I have a savings for my applications but otherwise it is a bit of a struggle..
Many schools have a cutoff of 3.0 for sGPA. Increase your sGPA to 3.0 before you apply and then apply broadly to DO schools. MD may be possible depending on your state of residence.

Thank you! how would I possibly address this in a personal statement since I have not legitimate excuse other then laziness and undiagnosed depression/anxiety (I am aware this is not a legit excuse and do not want to spend my personal statement making excuses.)

I wouldn't turn the situation into the centerpiece of your personal statement. But when you bring it up, I would frame it in terms of intellectual growth, inspiration, and a desire to reinvent yourself.

Not just DO. With that fantastic MCAT score, strong ECs, and a year of As in post bacc classes, OP will have a strong chance at landing an MD spot, I would think. Should still apply DO as a safety net.

Not just DO. With that fantastic MCAT score, strong ECs, and a year of As in post bacc classes, OP will have a strong chance at landing an MD spot, I would think. Should still apply DO as a safety net.
wait really?? I was sure I screwed myself out of ever getting into medical school in general let alone MD.

Any courses you haven't taken yet that fall under the AACOMAS category of "science," which is fairly broad.

thank you so much for your help you have given me hope to still becoming a doctor!!

Reactions: 1 user

For a decent shot at low-tier/in-state MD programs, OP would probably need to take the post-bacc classes full time at a four-year university. 20 credits of part-time CC science coursework aren't going to push him into MD territory, even with his MCAT and ECs -- but it will almost certainly grab him some DO interviews if he applies broadly.

(According to '17-'18 cycle data from the AAMC, a 518 is ~1 SD above the average MD matriculant MCAT, but a 3.0 is ~2 SDs below the average MD matriculant sGPA.)

For a decent shot at low-tier/in-state MD programs, OP would probably need to take the post-bacc classes full time at a four-year university. 20 credits of part-time CC science coursework aren't going to push him into MD territory, even with his MCAT and ECs -- but it will almost certainly grab him some DO interviews if he applies broadly.

(According to '17-'18 cycle data from the AAMC, a 518 is ~1 SD above the average MD matriculant MCAT, but a 3.0 is ~2 SDs below the average MD matriculant sGPA.)
she lol. but I appreciate the honesty. I'm focused on mostly DO anyways