Washington Univ at St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an information packet about this school in the mail and was pretty impressed with it. Are there anyother people who have been there or considering it as well? It looks like a really friendly school with lots of opportunities for it's students, plus a great atmosphere in St. Louis.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed you're from Texas. I'm from St. Louis but moved to go to UT-Austin. I went to grad school in New York, but then moved back to Austin because I love it so much. Wash U is a great medical school to be sure. St. louis however is another story. I'll probably get some grief over this but St. Louis is horrible place to live if you are in your twenties. Other than McGwire hitting home-runs nothing ever happens there. The nite life, cultural events, etc. are pretty much non-existent. Of course if you get an interview go visit and see for yourself. But if you are at all doubtful of where to go, I'd would stay in Texas if I were you. But then again, my opinion of Texas is mostly Austin, which I think is the best town in America.

It's a gunner school. No doubt you'll get a quality education there, but your personality will pretty much dictate whether or not the school will be a good fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Georgey was right about getting grief for bashing STL. My family has lived here for about 12 years. I went to undergrad out of state am back in St. Louis working at WUSM as a research assistant. I am applying to med school and if accepted to WU, I'd attend in a second.

I've never been to Austin, so I can't give comparisons. However, I can tell you a little bit about what St. Louis has to offer: diversity-a city on the MS River STL was hub for immigrants and their communities and neighborhoods thrive today, festivals galore (2nd largest Mardi Gras parade and celebration, awesome St. Patty's Day Parade) great clubs and bars, shopping, restaurants, sports (The Blues, Cards, Rams), theatre, city fun without the high prices, easy to be in the city or get away from it all, very friendly people. Yes, there are a few less desirable things about STL. The summers are REALLY hot and humid, winters not that bad, spring and fall are beautiful. Also, even though the public treansportaion is improving, you really do need a car to get around town. As for WUSM itself...awesome, endless number of opportunities (clinical and research based). If you get an interview, come and check it out for yourself. You might love it. Good luck!

Just got a letter from WUSTL saying they received my AMCAS primary.

I am using alternate procedures at this school but I just mailed out the AMCAS primary to them yesterday so they must have gotten this from AMCAS electronically or by mail.

mmpp...I agree that St. Louis could be the town for some. However, if you have a good frame of reference in so far as other towns are concerned, I think you would be hard pressed to say that St. Louis compares to places like San Fran, New Orleans, New York, Chicago, etc. I have lived in St. Louis for 20 of the 26 years I have been alive, and I can honestly say that I will never go back other to visit my family. Like I said, I think its a matter of having the appropriate frame of reference; if St. Louis is the largest town a person has ever lived in then they probably think it is great. As for me, all of my high school friends moved away to college and none of them came back. My girlfriend from NYC visited my family once and said she could not imagine how I lived there. So...if Balabans, MP O'Reilys, The Landing, Washington Street, The Loop, etc. are your idea of a good time, so be it. I think you should visit some the towns I named above though before you make that decision. BTW, I'm still a die hard Blues and Cards fan, even though the Blues continually give an annual hearthache every May.

This guy somes up my sentiments so far..

"Now, St. Louis the city is nothing like LA, DC, or NY. It's not a melting pot like the Los Angeles area so if you are looking for a ton of ethnic food, people, and cultures...you have to look harder for them, but its there. Diversity in these and other areas is lacking. However, the people are very nice and the areas clean with few homeless people. Mind you that I lived all over LA all my life. There is little grafitti here if none at all! Summers are hot and humid and winters usual snow like the coast. The city has improved greatly, and with a couple billion already pledged to the further continual developement of downtown, I'm optimistic it will become more popular/fun 5 years from now if not a couple. Hella construction down there. It's a great sports city. If you want hardcore city life like Chi town or NY, look elsewhere for now. It's a simple city but I think one thats a good haven to study medicine. If you get an regional interview, fly out to St. Louis to see the city."

Hope that helps,
wyldstyle2000

I am also looking into Washington University but for the MD/PhD program. I have looked at the school extensivly and I think it is a great university. As far as St. Louis goes, I am from there and it has places to go just like any other major city so if you want to find something to do you can. Wash U is ranked in the top ten best schools for medical research and I believe it is in the top 25 for primary care. Anyway, it is a very good school and I will apply there for the 2003 school year and if given the chance I would choose to go there over anywhere else.

Well, I think you could definitely say that I'm not a big city person. I grew up in a small town with 15,000 people, and the "big city" nearby was Amarillo. I personally would go crazy I think living in a place like Chicago, San Fran, or NYC. I think the only reason I could probably live in Dallas or Houston is because I'm from Texas and have been familiar with them for awhile now. I think that's why the "small city" atmosphere of St. Louis might be appealing to me.