2022-2023 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. I submitted a (not that great) letter of interest to WashU a couple months back and got waitlisted. I already sent an LOI to another school, so would y'all recommend that I send an updated Letter of Interest to WashU or just leave it as is? I don't want to come off as desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure, but I don't think we'd hear anything this week because they're probably focused on Second Look Weekend this week
Becoming pessimistic... because people are about to drop schools to their top 3 by April 15th so you'd think they would have sent those all out by now?? Yikes I guess they only ~kind of~ want us if 80% of students get some type of merit aid :panda:

Becoming pessimistic... because people are about to drop schools to their top 3 by April 15th so you'd think they would have sent those all out by now?? Yikes I guess they only ~kind of~ want us if 80% of students get some type of merit aid :panda:
Some of us on WL happy to pay full price. Wish they had a box you could check saying that.

Reactions: 4 users
Those who requested lodging for second look, did you get any specific booking info? Worried I accidentally didn't request lodging

Those who requested lodging for second look, did you get any specific booking info? Worried I accidentally didn't request lodging
Kinda, they just told me that there was a room booked for me at the Double Tree CWE (but also it went through the Diversity Office something or other). Also for those looking for the schedule of events, there is a dedicated second look website. they sent out a link in the past week or so via email

Reactions: 1 users
Prior to the Botanical Gardens dinner we’re having at SLW I just want to say y’all attending this weekend are so chill and super interesting people. Can’t wait to start class this September

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Can someone update how with second look was at washu? Couldn’t attend the event. Can’t wait to start in September

Can someone update how with second look was at washu? Couldn’t attend the event. Can’t wait to start in September

Everyone I met was extremely down to earth IMO and has a lot of interesting life experiences. The MSTP people got a bit cliquey (probably since we had an extra day to spend with each other) but otherwise A+. Overall I felt we were basically treated like royalty, a ton of free food and events to attend.

There was a bus with prospectives and current students that got involved in a car accident on their way back from the Arch and they had to go to the ED (non-serious injuries though). They’ll be fine / discharged soon. Yesterday night at the start of our dinner at the Botanical Gardens we were hit with a tornado warning and had to shelter in place for a bit, the events ended up being inside. Afterward the prospectives had an after-party at the DoubleTree

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get an email confirmation of their LOIs or updates, and if so was your LOI/update uploaded by portal or email?

Everyone I met was extremely down to earth IMO and has a lot of interesting life experiences. The MSTP people got a bit cliquey (probably since we had an extra day to spend with each other) but otherwise A+. Overall I felt we were basically treated like royalty, a ton of free food and events to attend.

There was a bus with prospectives and current students that got involved in a car accident on their way back from the Arch and they had to go to the ED (non-serious injuries though). They’ll be fine / discharged soon. Yesterday night at the start of our dinner at the Botanical Gardens we were hit with a tornado warning and had to shelter in place for a bit, the events ended up being inside. Afterward the prospectives had an after-party at the DoubleTree
Wow quite an adventurous day.. did they talk about the curriculum at all?

Did anyone get an email confirmation of their LOIs or updates, and if so was your LOI/update uploaded by portal or email?
I uploaded via the portal and did not receive a confirmation. I reached out a few days later to admissions to confirm that they had received.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow quite an adventurous day.. did they talk about the curriculum at all?
They did. Phase 1 of Gateway (preclinical) is true P/F and Phase 2 (clinical rotations) are P/F with Distinctions (that aren't delineated by rotation specialties as opposed to general competencies). The term the school likes to use is Competent/Not Competent. I think WashU used to do internal rankings by thirds in the legacy curriculum, but this is no longer the case. No AOA either

Reactions: 2 users
Do we think waitlist movement could happen before May 1st or nah?

Anyone planning on matriculating early to do a summer program?
Just curious since this is the first time I've heard: What summer programs are available? I know MSTPs can start their summer rotation in early July but am not aware of other options.

Do we think waitlist movement could happen before May 1st or nah?
Judging from previous years, it's possible they do the first wave of WL movement in one or two batches, kind of like their initial acceptances. If I had to guess, we'd be extremely lucky to hear anything before the first week of May. The first post last year confirming acceptance off the waitlist was first week of May.

Sure did!
am I misreading something or did the email say they wanted to provide an update regarding the waitlist status, but there was literally no change to the status lmao?

Idk I got a little excited for a second but it seems like everyone got the email? So not sure what point of the email was

• Okay...
am I misreading something or did the email say they wanted to provide an update regarding the waitlist status, but there was literally no change to the status lmao?

Idk I got a little excited for a second but it seems like everyone got the email? So not sure what point of the email was
I think they're trying to remind ppl to withdraw if they're not interested to expedite the WL movement process

Reactions: 3 users
they wanted us to ‘check our status is correct’ which is probably code for ‘please withdraw if you intend not to accept a waitlist offer’
LOL we posted at the same time saying the same thing

• Haha
Is the FAFSA required to be considered for non-need-based aid? The school where I got accepted didn't make us submit it to be considered for scholarships

Is anyone else paranoid they might somehow miss a WL call and get passed over for the next person?? I’ve checked my phone number on the portal like ten times…

Is anyone else paranoid they might somehow miss a WL call and get passed over for the next person?? I’ve checked my phone number on the portal like ten times…
I'm almost positive that they'll email you too, if that helps alleviate your worry lol

• Care

Do you think they’d even start calling WL ppl before May 1st??

Do you think they’d even start calling WL ppl before May 1st??
I would give it a couple days at the least after May 1st. The deadline is then, but it's not like they are waiting to call the second someone withdraws. Best of luck though!

Are we pretty safe in assuming that they're not going to give any more merit scholarships before the 4/30 deadline to commit?

Might be a bit of a stupid question, but WashU does offer both need-based aid and merit aid, right? In other words, those hoping for a scholarship here know that their need-based aid will not be/isn't that much?

Wait, is that legit the case? Did they mention there are no more merit scholarships after May 1st?

So, theoretically, there's no hope of a full tuition remission at this point for those on the waitlist?

I think there is money that will free up. It just won’t free up for those of us that have to choose before May 1st. I know people that are dropping partial/full tuition scholarships here to go elsewhere so for sure there will be more money. Idk if it will go to those off the WL tho

Wait, is that legit the case? Did they mention there are no more merit scholarships after May 1st?

So, theoretically, there's no hope of a full tuition remission at this point for those on the waitlist?
In past years' threads there have been people who have gotten off the WL and received scholarships so I think it's still possible !

• Care
They largely expanded their merit scholarship pool this year, so things could be different. The only way is to ask I suppose. I withdrew but I can send them an email tbh...will let ya'll know if I get a response.

• Care

From what I've heard, I'm very confident that people will continue to get full tuition scholarships up until matriculation day - and anecdotally even heard that these have gone to some original WL'ers, but as @MercifulCamper said, not necessarily before May 1st... (IE in like 3 days lmfao)

if they really want me they better pay me soon

Hey guys, just got the call from Dean Ratts about an hour ago. The WL is moving, hang in there guys!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Hey guys, just got the call from Dean Ratts about an hour ago. The WL is moving, hang in there guys!
Congrats!! Pretty wild that WL movement started before May 1st here. Fingers crossed for all of us on the WL these next few days and weeks

Congrats!! Pretty wild that WL movement started before May 1st here. Fingers crossed for all of us on the WL these next few days and weeks
WashU has hella WL movement. A few years ago legit I think they went through an absolutely ridiculous amount of it, hence the size in recent years.

Just saw your post history- HUGE congrats and you must be stoked you don't have to apply again!! So well-deserved, go celebrate until you do't have any brain cells left :)

Omg congratulations!! That’s so so amazing:) hopefully the rest of us WL gang hear soon. lol now my anxiety has peaked thru the roof🫡

Last edited:
Almost definitely not, but I never said my paranoia was rational o_O

My paranoia was rational!! :eek::eek:

Jokes aside, congrats Specific Misfortune!! And best of luck to all y’all WL buddies still hanging in there 😃