2022-2023 Washington University in St. Louis

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you to @themagictaco for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Washington University in St. Louis Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If yes, Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)

3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school. (3000 characters)


Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Washington University-St. Louis School of Medicine Interview Feedback
 
Last edited:
Anyone receive an email suggesting that due to our MCAT score and being an URM we add this school to our AMCAS? I'm hesitant and suprised because the stats for this school are wayyyy higher than mine
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
would you guys be able to share the prompts?
  • Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If yes, Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)
  • Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)
  • Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
    Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school. (3000 characters)
 
  • Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If yes, Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)
  • Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)
  • Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
    Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school. (3000 characters)
@wysdoc
 
For the description of gap year activities in chronological order, should I put it as a bullet list or essay form? If essay form, should I also include dates as well?
 
When they ask to explain personal/family/mentor ties, is this just meant to be a list of people and their positions? With 4000 characters, I'm not sure if I should be describing something more in depth.
 
When it says describe your gap year experiences in chronological order, are they asking basically for a list of responsibilities?
 
For the LOR requirement, am I correct that if you are sending individual letters you can only submit 3 letters; however, if you have a committee letter or letter packet, you can submit more than the minimum, up to max of 6? I'm doing individual letters (no committee letter option at my school) and would like to submit more than 3, but I don't think I should. How does everyone else interpret the requirement?

Edit/Update: I reached out to admissions and those submitting individual letters CAN submit extra letters above/beyond the 3 letter minimum (6 max).
 
Last edited:
Just got an email confirming that my application has been processed (LORs have been approved) and that everything is complete.
Submitted this past weekend.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do I have to say yes to the first one about extracurriculars if I am not taking classes this summer and then answer with a list of activities? I do full time fall to spring quarters and do like an internship over the summers in my past years. I will be full time from fall 22 to spring 23.
 
Do I have to say yes to the first one about extracurriculars if I am not taking classes this summer and then answer with a list of activities? I do full time fall to spring quarters and do like an internship over the summers in my past years. I will be full time from fall 22 to spring 23.
don't think so. It's a gap year prompt
 
2-3 weeks is unofficial. You have until the deadline to submit, and many who take a few weeks or even greater than a month have still been given interviews and acceptances. The earlier the better, but never sacrifice quality to be early.
 
2-3 weeks is unofficial. You have until the deadline to submit, and many who take a few weeks or even greater than a month have still been given interviews and acceptances. The earlier the better, but never sacrifice quality to be early.
Very thankful for your reply. Feel much better 🙂
 
Just received an email that my application was processed and is complete. I submitted on 7/15, so clearly there is a backlog by now.
 
Thank you to @themagictaco for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Washington University in St. Louis Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If yes, Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)

3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional)
Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or possibly challenges related to COVID or other issues in preparation for medical school. (3000 characters)


Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Washington University-St. Louis School of Medicine Interview Feedback
does the character limit include spaces?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! I have an upcoming interview, but I still don't quite get how grading and assessments work in the new Gateway Curriculum. I know that pre-clinical part is P/F, but I can't tell if clerkships are also P/F now or still have the traditional H/HP/P. I could swear I've seen both referenced on their website... can any current students or anyone that knows clarify how that works? are honors still a thing?

If it's truly P/F now for both preclinical and clinical years, that sounds incredible... but I don't want to reference this in an interview without being totally sure lol
 
@Brass132 Clerkships are now graded on a competency basis, which is, for all intents and purposes, pass/fail. Distinction is available in a variety of longitudinal areas (e.g., patient care, interpersonal communication, systems-based practice, etc), but this isn't like the old honors system and is determined by the competency committee at the end of the clerkship year
 
just received an email asking me to apply to this school. does this mean anything? i am assuming everyone gets this email so it shouldnt mean anything?
 
just received an email asking me to apply to this school. does this mean anything? i am assuming everyone gets this email so it shouldnt mean anything?

What are your stats like? I got it too (did not apply to Wash U), but did not the first cycle I applied (did not apply to Wash U then either).
 
probably just scamming ur app fee lol. BTW does anyone know when II will be out ?
 
What are your stats like? I got it too (did not apply to Wash U), but did not the first cycle I applied (did not apply to Wash U then either).
my MCAT is below their 10th percentile but my GPA is near their 90th percentile and I have significant research experience. i am assuming they just send it to everyone lol
 
is the interview more important at washu? I can’t imagine they would waste that many resources interviewing like 25% of people if it wasn’t.
 
I got a physical mail which was basically an advertisement for WashU's program. Are they scamming for secondary money? Not planning on applying, but seriously why?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a physical mail which was basically an advertisement for WashU's program. Are they scamming for secondary money? Not planning on applying, but seriously why?
Never trust the mail. They just send to emails that AAMC sold them. They aren't indicating u have an advantage..... HOWEVER, I have heard of some rare cases where a school contacted them saying they were in range of their applicants they want and would waive their application fee. In that case, I probably would apply.