Waterloo Class of 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GingerSnap6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I just wanted to follow the trend from last year and started a post for us current applicants to Waterloo (and other schools too, of course). Share with us your experience with the application process and the stats! :) Sorry in advance if there are other Waterloo 2023 posts prior to this.

GPA: ~84%
OAT: TS 390, AA 370
Extracurriculars: NSERC-USRA term, pre-optometry club, CNIB volunteering, leadership roles with various university programs, organizations, and non-profit community groups, social media assistant volunteer for Invictus Institute, also am starting to help out as an LA in a lab at school.
Shadowing: met the Waterloo's requirements with the local optometrists in town.
Miscellaneous: cross-country, and some photography and writing as side hobbies :)

My stats aren't super competitive... honestly am just nervous about what I'm penning down in the AIF right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your OAT is very competitive, especially given the fact that Waterloo only looks at TS scores apparently according to previous threads. Your extracurriculars are great so I'm sure you're a very competitive applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for letting me know, and that's what I've heard too! I'm currently just hoping the application process goes okay with no technical difficulty right now hahaha. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, congrats on such amazing stats!! I had a question regarding application and specifically the awards part. Under academic awards, do you think making the honour roll in high school is appropriate to put down? Would that count as an award? My only proof is this very poorly made certificate LOL

GPA: 86%
OAT: TS 400, AA 380 Bombed QR with 300 though.
Extracurriculars: Volunteering for various local non-profits, university club executive, shadowing optometrist 20h, hospital volunteering, fuel cell team member, intramural sports.

I'm worried about my OAT QR score and my extracurriculars. I was wondering the same as 326isha about whether or not I should put my extracurriculars from high school on my AIF.

Glad to see this post up! Good luck to us all :)

I had a question if anyone knows the answer–I'm signed up for the September 16th CASPER, but I've noticed that they added another date for October 14th for UW Optometry, but it says "Please note that the October 14 date has been added to accommodate the OUAC shutdown." So is this date for everyone? Due to some conflicts I would ideally like to move it down, is anyone else writing on this date/know if its okay to do so? Thank you!

Hey! I'm in my fourth year and applying this cycle. Does anyone know if having one term with only 4 courses put you at a disadvantage? I've already completed my full course load for a minimum of 6 terms.

Glad to see this post up! Good luck to us all :)

I had a question if anyone knows the answer–I'm signed up for the September 16th CASPER, but I've noticed that they added another date for October 14th for UW Optometry, but it says "Please note that the October 14 date has been added to accommodate the OUAC shutdown." So is this date for everyone? Due to some conflicts I would ideally like to move it down, is anyone else writing on this date/know if its okay to do so? Thank you!

Hey! I'm scheduled to write October 14. I believe this date has been added for everyone to accommodate for the shutdown so we should be fine.

Hey, congrats on such amazing stats!! I had a question regarding application and specifically the awards part. Under academic awards, do you think making the honour roll in high school is appropriate to put down? Would that count as an award? My only proof is this very poorly made certificate LOL

I believe so? I think this is a distinction received in high school and that it would be okay to put in! :)

Hey! I'm in my fourth year and applying this cycle. Does anyone know if having one term with only 4 courses put you at a disadvantage? I've already completed my full course load for a minimum of 6 terms.

I don't think you should worry at all, since you already completed the requirement.

I don't think you should worry at all, since you already completed the requirement.

Are you taking a full course load? I'm contemplating if I should drop a course because I do not need it for my degree and just took it cause I thought Wloo wanted you to have a full course load for all years. However, I'm already done the 6 term requirement.

Are you taking a full course load? I'm contemplating if I should drop a course because I do not need it for my degree and just took it cause I thought Wloo wanted you to have a full course load for all years. However, I'm already done the 6 term requirement.

I am, because I havn't completed the 6 term requirement yet. From their requirements, it just seemed that they are looking for the 6 terms, not all years!

Have you guys done the casper test or doing the one this coming Sunday? How are you studying for this? I would love some tips!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: ~81%
OAT: TS 400, AA 380
Extracurriculars: pres of pre-optometry club, part time job at an optometry clinic, honours thesis on visual perception, other student leadership roles throughout university
Shadowing: competed around 50 hours of shadowing

does anyone know where the rumour about UW only looking at TS OAT came from? im hoping mine makes up for my subpar average :( good luck everyone!

GPA: ~81%
OAT: TS 400, AA 380
Extracurriculars: pres of pre-optometry club, part time job at an optometry clinic, honours thesis on visual perception, other student leadership roles throughout university
Shadowing: competed around 50 hours of shadowing

does anyone know where the rumour about UW only looking at TS OAT came from? im hoping mine makes up for my subpar average :( good luck everyone!

if you open up your quest application and click on optometry (under the dropdown where it says admissions, then applications), there it shows you your OAT scores where it shows the score you got in each section and your TS score, it does not show your AA score

if you open up your quest application and click on optometry (under the dropdown where it says admissions, then applications), there it shows you your OAT scores where it shows the score you got in each section and your TS score, it does not show your AA score

Hey, I still do not see my OAT scores and I wrote them in late August. Can I ask you when you wrote your OAT?

GPA: 88%
OAT: TS 390, AA 370 didnt do so hot on non-science stuff :(
Extracurriculars: Volunteering with CNIB, shadowing optometrist for 20+ hours, intramural soccer, teach piano lessons for free with an organization

I am worried I dont have enough extracurricular so I might try to beef it up for interviews if I get one, any recommendations?

Hey, I still do not see my OAT scores and I wrote them in late August. Can I ask you when you wrote your OAT?

Hi I wrote mine Aug 29. I would maybe contact somebody if you still don't see any scores yet

Hi I wrote mine Aug 29. I would maybe contact somebody if you still don't see any scores yet

Thanks for answering! Ok I'll look into it because I still don't have my scores even though on my ADA account, they've been processed

Thanks for answering! Ok I'll look into it because I still don't have my scores even though on my ADA account, they've been processed

I also don't see my score showing up yet either. I emailed the admission office a month ago, but they said that the OAT score should be updated soon?

* update: I sent another email to ask again. It's unfortunate too that the ASCO/ADA website is down during this time. I hope they will have an answer for this.

Last edited:
I also don't see my score showing up yet either. I emailed the admission office a month ago, but they said that the OAT score should be updated soon?

* update: I sent another email to ask again. It's unfortunate too that the ASCO/ADA website is down during this time. I hope they will have an answer for this.

I also emailed so hopefully they will get back to us. Can you let me know if they get back to you please? I am getting pretty nervous. I wonder if we have to send a new score report?

Does anyone know if selecting the "Immediately" option for transcripts was sufficient? My transcript has been uploaded but I noticed they mentioned in the application instructions to have selected "End of fall term" and "End of winter term".

I also emailed so hopefully they will get back to us. Can you let me know if they get back to you please? I am getting pretty nervous. I wonder if we have to send a new score report?

The admission office has gotten back to me and she told me that the scores and documents are still processing (as they receive 1000+ documents a day around this time). Since they are super busy, the scores may not be uploaded yet, but they will be! We will just have to be super patient.

The admission office has gotten back to me and she told me that the scores and documents are still processing (as they receive 1000+ documents a day around this time). Since they are super busy, the scores may not be uploaded yet, but they will be! We will just have to be super patient.

Thank you!

Is anyone else having problems with adding things to their AIF? Every time I click Save, it says there was an error and nothing new ends up being saved.

Is anyone else having problems with adding things to their AIF? Every time I click Save, it says there was an error and nothing new ends up being saved.

I believe there was a certain way you have to enter information, you have to do it from top down I believe, or otherwise it won't be saved. I think the admission information sheet talked more about this.

Does anyone here know if one C+ in your whole transcript could affect your chances of getting in? I tried searching up old threads but couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone here knows. I thought it should not but someone just told me I should consider re-taking the course. It was first year Chemistry in my first semester (3 years ago), my transition to uni was terrible so my marks in my first semester aren't good, but all the following semesters till now have been amazing. I don't think it's worth retaking a first year chem course in my 4th year if it won't affect my chances of getting in and I wouldn't be able to retake it till next year which is basically after they send out interviews. :(

Does anyone here know if one C+ in your whole transcript could affect your chances of getting in? I tried searching up old threads but couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone here knows. I thought it should not but someone just told me I should consider re-taking the course. It was first year Chemistry in my first semester (3 years ago), my transition to uni was terrible so my marks in my first semester aren't good, but all the following semesters till now have been amazing. I don't think it's worth retaking a first year chem course in my 4th year if it won't affect my chances of getting in and I wouldn't be able to retake it till next year which is basically after they send out interviews. :(
From what I know, they look at your overall average so if your other course grades are higher then it shouldn't be a huge issue. If you happened to do well on the Chemistry section on the OAT, that can help and you can always explain your situation about first year during the interviews. I say see how this cycle goes for you and if things don't work out, you can consider re-taking it. Also, they factor in other aspects of your application too so don't beat yourself down for a C+

Reactions: 1 users
for anyone who's submitted their AIF already, did you get any email after? also did your references get an email on how to submit their letters? i havn't got anything since i submitted my AIF :/

for anyone who's submitted their AIF already, did you get any email after? also did your references get an email on how to submit their letters? i havn't got anything since i submitted my AIF :/

Hey, I didn't get an email. But it should say "Submitted" at the top of your AIF

Does anyone know if selecting the "Immediately" option for transcripts was sufficient? My transcript has been uploaded but I noticed they mentioned in the application instructions to have selected "End of fall term" and "End of winter term".
I also chose the immediately option. I think that should be enough
Hey, I didn't get an email. But it should say "Submitted" at the top of your AIF
Okay yah it says that! But none of my references got any emails :(

can anyone see if your casper scores were received yet under "documents"?

They aren't uploaded onto Quest yet :/

They aren't uploaded onto Quest yet :/
okay yah i took mine oct 14 and it said it'll take 4 weeks so idk... in my casper account it says marks were delivered so i'm confused

okay yah i took mine oct 14 and it said it'll take 4 weeks so idk... in my casper account it says marks were delivered so i'm confused
yeah same! maybe it's processing that takes a while?

I took CASPER on Oct 14 too and they haven't been uploaded yet. They're probably processing it

Hey all, a little late to the party but here are my stats:

OAT: TS and AA both 390
GPA: 87%
ECs: volunteering at an optometry clinic (over 1 year) and 2 physiotherapy clinics, volunteering at a crisis line, worked with a blind elderly lady (helping her around the neighbourhood), worked at a needle exchange, did co-op for a year (with a CIHR student grant) recruiting and collecting data on patients

Has anyone heard back about interviews yet? Last year it seems like they heard back on November 21st!

Last edited:
Hey all, a little late to the party but here are my stats:

Applying from: UBC, 4th year into my Honours BSc
OAT: TS and AA both 390
GPA: 87.2%
ECs: volunteering at an optometry clinic and 2 physiotherapy clinics, volunteering at a crisis line, worked with a blind elderly lady (helping her around the neighbourhood), worked at a needle exchange, did co-op for a year recruiting and collecting data on patients

Has anyone heard back about interviews yet? Last year it seems like they heard back on November 21st!

Your stats and experiences are amazing! :) Yeah i was looking at last year's thread too, which would make that tomorrow! :eek:

Your stats and experiences are amazing! :) Yeah i was looking at last year's thread too, which would make that tomorrow! :eek:

Thanks!! Same for you! :) Everyone in this thread seems to have amazing OAT scores, pretty crazy!

Fingers crossed for all of us!

Hey did anyone get interviews today?? Last year they came out on the 21st :/

Not yet :( I was thinking the same thing, they have usually released the invites starting today ...

I think the delay may have something to do with the CASPer scores for the people who wrote it on the 14th still being processed? I'm not sure if that delayed their decisions.

I think the delay may have something to do with the CASPer scores for the people who wrote it on the 14th still being processed? I'm not sure if that delayed their decisions.
That would make sense lol, nervous week ahead of us

No wonder! I’ve been waiting all morning. :( I wish they could send us an email to let us know what’s going on haha

Also while im here:

UW Biomedical science, 4th year
GPA: ~82
OAT TS: 370
ECAs: Hospital volunteer leader, shadowing OD 30 hours, canadian red cross volunteer, food drives, pres for club at uni, pharm assistant, conference attendances, international student orientation leader, soccer intramurals and some other things

GPA not great but im hoping for the best haha, good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited: