WCVM/UCVM c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenuttyclub

WCVM c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Application time opens up just around the corner, so I figured I'd start a thread. Feels like a quiet summer here on the forum, but I know things will pick up once school is back in session. So here's your new thread to post all related worries/rantings and questions! I'm sure other c/o 2017ers will be happy to help, so post away! And best of luck with your applications this year! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, yes. I can't believe I'm here again!

... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm back too. I feel like my meeting with Dr. Bailey at UCVM told me what I need to do to be successful there. Here's hoping it actually works out that way....

Good luck to everyone applying!!

Hi guys, just want to introduce myself. I'll be applying to WCVM this fall as well. Nice to virtually meet you all. :)

Hi guys, just want to introduce myself. I'll be applying to WCVM this fall as well. Nice to virtually meet you all. :)

Sweet, hopefully we'll see you next year!

Yes, yes it does ... but I'm *hoping* for a couple other schools as well (and excessive debt) so we'll see!

Well let's just hope that I happen to be as fortunate!

If you do well in an international school you can always hope someone defers at WCVM and you can swipe their spot! ;)

I will be joining you all here too! This will be my second time applying to vet school. I'm a 5th year UofA student that scored an interview with UCVM last year. I have high hopes for this year!

Work hard everyone :)

Has anyone else heard rumors about the UCVM rethinking their candidate selection process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was a quiet onlooker last year and I'm back this year! This will be my second time applying as a 3rd year at Uvic. Given my first year I can't say I'm expecting an interview this year either :| but I'm trying my best to get those grades that give me that chance :)

Just wondering... Heard through a recent grad of theirs but I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt.

Hey guys!

I've already emailed Heather about this, awaiting a reply, but I thought I'd ask here. So WCVM refers to an academic session as September-April, correct? So do they not care about Summer semester? Because I took 18 credits this summer, and I'm hoping to only take 12 credits this fall. Is this still acceptable as a full course load? I mean, I took more than a full load this summer, so shouldn't that count for something? Or do they want me to take 15 credits in the Fall to be considered full? It would be kind of frustrating if they did, because I worked my ass of this summer, and was hoping to maybe lessen my courseload a tiny bit this fall... Anyways just wondering if any of you have had experience with this! Thanks!

They don't count summer at all?? If they actually don't, that makes no sense, it's just the same as any other semester... Anyways I'll see what Heather says. I always thought full was 15 credits or 5 courses, but hopefully you're right! Thanks!

They don't take it into account when considering FT or PT, that's fall and spring semesters only. You should be fine with 4, but agreed that you should check with Heather. :) 18 credits in the summer is rough.

I'm anxiously awaiting a reply! I just dropped my 5th class because i was taking 2 languages and it was just too much....Haha so hopefully 4 will be fine.

So how is UCVM treating you so far??

WCVM applications are up. I'm scared.... :s

It has been so awesome so far. I'm loving it! Real class starts Monday though. We have been going on group field trips the last 2 weeks, so my enthusiasm may be dampened a bit when I'm actually having to study all the time haha.

This is your year, fishfinn!

Kermit, jmf and the rest of our SDN group too!!! :thumbup:

I think that's just crazy! I'm a bit envious. Can't say our first couple of weeks have been very rough, but we're in the middle of a dissection, and have a histology quiz on thursday already! Full steam ahead for us!

And YES! Good luck to all of you! :luck:

It's been so quiet in here - has anyone finished their applications yet?

Writing and re-writing things....

You're ahead of me - I have so much going on this month!!! November's gonna have to be my month for all that. Still have to get my references sorted. Ugh.
Feeling good about it though?

So far. I just got my last reference nailed down, so I'm feeling better about it than I was when I didn't know who I had! I'm nervous though, because being a mature student makes everything more complicated.... All I can do is try I guess.

Hey everyone! So this is my first time applying to WCVM.
I would really like some insight on what makes a candidate competitive. I don't know anyone that has applied in the past so I am hoping that you guys can help me out.
I am in my last year of my BSc. and I have about a 3.3 GPA overall in all 4 years. I have volunteered at a vet clinic as well as on a farm with a vet. Can someone give me a little insight on what my chances are?

Thank youuuu in advance! :)

Hey everyone! So this is my first time applying to WCVM.
I would really like some insight on what makes a candidate competitive. I don't know anyone that has applied in the past so I am hoping that you guys can help me out.
I am in my last year of my BSc. and I have about a 3.3 GPA overall in all 4 years. I have volunteered at a vet clinic as well as on a farm with a vet. Can someone give me a little insight on what my chances are?

Thank youuuu in advance! :)
That's going to depend on what province you are from and what your best year looks like!

I had a 3.61 GPA (best year is a 3.8) and I did not get a BC interview last year, but did the year before.

That's going to depend on what province you are from and what your best year looks like!

I had a 3.61 GPA (best year is a 3.8) and I did not get a BC interview last year, but did the year before.

Oh right sorry! I am from Alberta.

Also, how do they look at GPA? do they just look at all of your undergrad studies that you have completed?

Thanks a lot!

From my understanding the grade aspect is weighted 1/3 best year (Sept to April kind of thing) and 2/3 overall GPA (every course you've ever taken). I believe Alberta is similar to BC in terms of it's competitiveness, BC had about 123 applicants apply last year and I think Alberta may have had more, I'm not sure though.

From my understanding the grade aspect is weighted 1/3 best year (Sept to April kind of thing) and 2/3 overall GPA (every course you've ever taken). I believe Alberta is similar to BC in terms of it's competitiveness, BC had about 123 applicants apply last year and I think Alberta may have had more, I'm not sure though.

Oh okay. Well my undergrad overall GPA is a 3.34 (my first 2 years kinda hurt my avg) and best year is a 3.8 (so far, still doing a fourth year). And considering my volunteering at the clinic and on a farm (and many other volunteering on campus as well as my community) what do you think my chances look like? I'm scared that my overall is gonna hurt my application.

Thanks again guys. I appreciated your help.

Oh okay. Well my undergrad overall GPA is a 3.34 (my first 2 years kinda hurt my avg) and best year is a 3.8 (so far, still doing a fourth year). And considering my volunteering at the clinic and on a farm (and many other volunteering on campus as well as my community) what do you think my chances look like? I'm scared that my overall is gonna hurt my application.

Thanks again guys. I appreciated your help.
I'm not really familiar with the 4 point scale as the university I attend uses a 9 point scale so the others around here may be able to help you out with how your grades measure up in the Alberta pool, but by the sounds of it your doing all the right things in terms of volunteering and gaining experience :) If I had to guess I would say Alberta is similar to BC with the bottom applicants having about 83% overall GPA with upper 80s best year, though I could be wrong.

You should stand a good chance. I would take that with a grain of salt though, because some that I felt should definitely have gotten an interview (and had received one in the past), were not granted one last year. So sometimes their choices don't seem to have a lot of reasoning.

Are you applying to UCVM?

Thanks for the advice.
I am not applying to UCVM because I dont have all the prerequisites for them and I can't take them because I am planning on graduating this year and they don't count towards my degree.

Out of curiosity... How is it that you have the pre-reqs for WCVM, but not UCVM? WCVM requires more than UCVM, but otherwise they are generally the same.

Oh wait, is it Ecology that you're missing?

yes it's ecology that I am missing. I would take it this year but I can't take anymore first year courses so I won't be able to graduate this year if I take it.

Just a heads up; start thinking about potential interview situations early. While they won't be offered for a while yet, word from Dr. Grahn is we have a record number of applicants this year, so things are going to be competitive. But if you prepare yourselves well, you'll be less stressed, and do just fine!

Urg record number again? I hope those are record numbers outside of BC…

I'm submitting my WCVM this morning. It's my first time applying there and suddenly I'm terrified and second-guessing everything I wrote. Aaaahhhhh......

I'm submitting my WCVM this morning. It's my first time applying there and suddenly I'm terrified and second-guessing everything I wrote. Aaaahhhhh......
Don't be. Regardless, you can't change it now. That's small peanuts compared to the interview; that's where they really get to know you.

Thanks, I'm trying keep that in mind, but calm isn't exactly my first impulse if you know what I mean..... :p

Just submitted my UCVM application. I'm having to use a prepaid Visa gift card for these applications since I don't have a credit card, and I'm super worried that something will go wrong. Which I know is stupid since the WCVM one went fine. Now I just have to write my last final for the semester this afternoon and spend the next 2.5 months chewing my nails (or something equally productive....) Good luck to everyone else who's applying!

Good luck everyone! Sorry I've been MIA, but at least you have thenuttyclub looking out for you! ;)

Has anyone else sent transcripts to WCVM a while ago and not have them come up yet? I sent mine mid December and it still does not say it has been received and they're due in two weeks I believe... eek!

Mine arrived right after Christmas break, and I sent them in mid-December. If I were you I'd follow up with the schools that were to send them -- confirm when they were mailed out and maybe give them a firm reminder nudge if they haven't been sent yet.

Yikes - I sent all of mine earlier this week! Mine have only taken a week or two in previous years.

I think it all depends on your school. When I sent my first transcript, it just took a few days to update. Not sure if there is a difference for the second transcript.
I have not sent mine though. I am waiting for one of my grades to change, so that my transcript is up to date. I hope that doesn't affect me.

lol, it literally updated as received the day I wrote that post. Phew!

Another random question for everyone.. lately I have been coming across a lot of vets who are unhappy with their jobs, and try to tell me that I shouldn't bother going to vet school because I won't be happy, and that there are better careers out there. It's very un-motivating and depressing.. and I'm not sure how to deal with these people (I've had this happen from at least five different vets). Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any suggestions of dealing with these people? One of them is also my roommate... *sigh*