This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received their interview invite from UCVM yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I did, March 10th afternoon session! Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm a first year at UCVM, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the interview! :) We get to help out with MMI day and I'm super excited!

If you have any questions or concerns Im more than happy to help!

Reactions: 1 user
What's the best way to get to the Clinical Skills Building from the interview location ? I really want to attend the tour, but I don't have a vehicle and I'm not familiar with Calgary.

What's the best way to get to the Clinical Skills Building from the interview location ? I really want to attend the tour, but I don't have a vehicle and I'm not familiar with Calgary.

Hey! Are you in the morning or the afternoon session? If you're in the afternoon session, I could potentially give you a ride (I live near Foothills and am giving the afternoon tour, so I have to drive up there anyway ;)). PM me if you want!

Otherwise, you might be able to find someone to give you a ride up! Ask around at the MMI. Unfortunately where CSB is placed you really need to drive there... it's kind of a pain.

Hey! Are you in the morning or the afternoon session? If you're in the afternoon session, I could potentially give you a ride (I live near Foothills and am giving the afternoon tour, so I have to drive up there anyway ;)). PM me if you want!

Otherwise, you might be able to find someone to give you a ride up! Ask around at the MMI. Unfortunately where CSB is placed you really need to drive there... it's kind of a pain.

Thanks so much for the offer and information ! Unfortunately, I'm in the morning session. I will try to connect with someone to secure a ride.

Hey everyone, this is my first post ever - aaahh! I applied to WCVM this year, and am patiently (not) waiting until interview invites go out later this month :) good luck to everyone with UCVM interviews coming up!

Hey folks. :=|:-): I haven't posted here for such a long time. I'm a second year applicant and didn't get an interview the first time. I had a question requiring a detailed answer for those of you currently in vet school. What are classes like? I know you have to be at school from 8-5 and there are about 8 (?) classes per semester with exams every week which I got from the video those two lovely ladies posted on the FB page. But what is the average grade of the class (on exams/assignments), what do you find most challenging, are professors available to help, how many assignments per week, what breaks do you get (reading week, etc.) and I could go on forever? Thanks! OH I just thought of this question: Are the essay questions knowledge or ethics based and can you be substantially under the word limit and still get a good score? Thank ya thank ya! That'll be all :soexcited:

Hey folks. :=|:-): I haven't posted here for such a long time. I'm a second year applicant and didn't get an interview the first time. I had a question requiring a detailed answer for those of you currently in vet school. What are classes like? I know you have to be at school from 8-5 and there are about 8 (?) classes per semester with exams every week which I got from the video those two lovely ladies posted on the FB page. But what is the average grade of the class (on exams/assignments), what do you find most challenging, are professors available to help, how many assignments per week, what breaks do you get (reading week, etc.) and I could go on forever? Thanks! OH I just thought of this question: Are the essay questions knowledge or ethics based and can you be substantially under the word limit and still get a good score? Thank ya thank ya! That'll be all :soexcited:

Hey! I'm one of the two vlog girls ;)

So classes run from 8:30-4 or 5pm most days, depending on what is scheduled for that day. Overall, classes are decent, we have a ton of amazing profs who make even boring things interesting! We do have a lot of classes, but they're generally broken up so you have each class 1-3 times a week depending on how many credits it is worth, so the schedule varies from week to week to keep things fresh.

Average grades really depends on the class... but I would say the averages are around 80% on the majority of exams. In first year, I would say everyone finds anatomy the most challenging! As you move into second year, all of the -ologies (bacteriology, parasitology, virology, systemic and clinical pathology, pharmacology, etc.) become the most challenging! But the professors are very approachable and very willing to provide assistance if you ask. The UCVM community is very good about offering support to their students! And if your class is anything like my class, you always have your friends to lean on and get advice from, fun mnemonics, etc. which can be super helpful.

Assignments per week really varies, some weeks there are very few, some weeks you'll have 3 assignments, 3 exams, 2 quizzes, etc. I attached my schedule for one of our "busy weeks" so you can get a feel for it! The two orange items on the Monday morning are assignments we had due that day. This is a second year schedule though, I personally found first year a little less busy!

New in the upcoming year we will get both fall and winter reading weeks! And the usual Christmas break. Classes run from end of August/early September until the end of April. So you get the spring/summer to find a job or do externships!

In the past there have been both knowledge and ethics based questions, or a combination of the two. I have no idea about being under the word limit! It's not a very long word limit (like 750 words or something?) so I think most people get very close to the word limit, or have to edit their essay down.

Hope that answers your questions! If you have any more, myself and @SARdoghandler are always happy to answer them :)

Attachments

• schedule.png
    schedule.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 120
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm one of the two vlog girls ;)

So classes run from 8:30-4 or 5pm most days, depending on what is scheduled for that day. Overall, classes are decent, we have a ton of amazing profs who make even boring things interesting! We do have a lot of classes, but they're generally broken up so you have each class 1-3 times a week depending on how many credits it is worth, so the schedule varies from week to week to keep things fresh.

Average grades really depends on the class... but I would say the averages are around 80% on the majority of exams. In first year, I would say everyone finds anatomy the most challenging! As you move into second year, all of the -ologies (bacteriology, parasitology, virology, systemic and clinical pathology, pharmacology, etc.) become the most challenging! But the professors are very approachable and very willing to provide assistance if you ask. The UCVM community is very good about offering support to their students! And if your class is anything like my class, you always have your friends to lean on and get advice from, fun mnemonics, etc. which can be super helpful.

Assignments per week really varies, some weeks there are very few, some weeks you'll have 3 assignments, 3 exams, 2 quizzes, etc. I attached my schedule for one of our "busy weeks" so you can get a feel for it! The two orange items on the Monday morning are assignments we had due that day. This is a second year schedule though, I personally found first year a little less busy!

New in the upcoming year we will get both fall and winter reading weeks! And the usual Christmas break. Classes run from end of August/early September until the end of April. So you get the spring/summer to find a job or do externships!

In the past there have been both knowledge and ethics based questions, or a combination of the two. I have no idea about being under the word limit! It's not a very long word limit (like 750 words or something?) so I think most people get very close to the word limit, or have to edit their essay down.

Hope that answers your questions! If you have any more, myself and @SARdoghandler are always happy to answer them :)
Cool! You're the one who spotted the bunny right? Holy cow that's awesome! It totally answers my question. I don't know about this but it'd be nice to say some of this stuff in the interview showing them you know the insides of the schedules and classes eh?

Ok, and are they looking for how wordy you are on the essay question, or how much you write, or what you write about? What if you completely don't know anything about a topic (ok if that's the case then you probably shouldn't be in this field) but you get my point right? I've been in an MMI before but I'm freaking out for the essay component. I'm pretty ok at writing but what worries me is what if they ask something like "What are the pros and cons of declawing" and I can think of a few ideas but probably not even close to a 500 word count. I guess what I'm trying to get at is will they have broad/narrow, specific/vague topics?

Thank you for your time and the useful information! :biglove: Man this site has such cute emojis...

Cool! You're the one who spotted the bunny right? Holy cow that's awesome! It totally answers my question. I don't know about this but it'd be nice to say some of this stuff in the interview showing them you know the insides of the schedules and classes eh?

Ok, and are they looking for how wordy you are on the essay question, or how much you write, or what you write about? What if you completely don't know anything about a topic (ok if that's the case then you probably shouldn't be in this field) but you get my point right? I've been in an MMI before but I'm freaking out for the essay component. I'm pretty ok at writing but what worries me is what if they ask something like "What are the pros and cons of declawing" and I can think of a few ideas but probably not even close to a 500 word count. I guess what I'm trying to get at is will they have broad/narrow, specific/vague topics?

Thank you for your time and the useful information! :biglove: Man this site has such cute emojis...

I am indeed the one who saw the bunny :laugh:

I've seen both very broad and very narrow topics, so it really depends on the year. They definitely are looking more for content then word count, so as long as you have some ideas about the topic and justify them in some way you should be fine! For example in your example you listed, you could talk about post-declawing behavioural issues as cons, and cats being able to stay in their original home/not having to be adopted out because of their scratching/clawing behaviour as a pro. Or something like that. Just do your best!

Hey there!
As a current first year I would say that the workload is manageable. There aren't as many assignments as I had in undergrad, but there is weekly prep work for a bunch of your classes (such as watching anatomy podcasts or reading 2 Clinical Ckills lab manuals per week). Sometimes you have 2 midterms in a week plus an assignment or two, but that is rare during the term and they are often group work so you can share the burden. But near the end of the semester it can pile up if you're not careful xD

Classes can range from 5 credits to 0.75 credits and the workload will reflect that :) Some you only have for an hour once a week or some you have 4 hours a week. Honestly though the profs in general are freaking amazing!! A lot of them are engaging and are always willing to help you out if you need it! This year our anatomy class average for different tests has ranged from 78% to 67%, while physiology has been around 82%. It really depends on the class! But no class has a 90% average hahaha

The most challenging aspect for me is no longer having the extra time I had in undergrad to study like when you get off at 2pm. But my class works together, shares notes and is very supportive of each other so I wouldn't change it for the world!

We get reading break in the winter and I think they are adding in fall break as well? Also sometimes throughout the semester you might randomly have a block or two off class called "student protected time" where you can use it for whatever you like (sleeping in, studying, appointments etc). I'm not sure if they are trying to add more in or not but we have been having like 1 a week lately when in the fall term it was like once a month!

Essay questions could be anything like Awesomenessity said, they can be ethics, knowledge, or completely random topic. But I think what's important is being able to argue/justify your point :) and I think the word limit was 750? I'm not sure if you want to be crazy below the word limit, but a little shouldn't be a problem if you are succinct and explained your reasoning well!

Hey there!
As a current first year I would say that the workload is manageable. There aren't as many assignments as I had in undergrad, but there is weekly prep work for a bunch of your classes (such as watching anatomy podcasts or reading 2 Clinical Ckills lab manuals per week). Sometimes you have 2 midterms in a week plus an assignment or two, but that is rare during the term and they are often group work so you can share the burden. But near the end of the semester it can pile up if you're not careful xD

Classes can range from 5 credits to 0.75 credits and the workload will reflect that :) Some you only have for an hour once a week or some you have 4 hours a week. Honestly though the profs in general are freaking amazing!! A lot of them are engaging and are always willing to help you out if you need it! This year our anatomy class average for different tests has ranged from 78% to 67%, while physiology has been around 82%. It really depends on the class! But no class has a 90% average hahaha

The most challenging aspect for me is no longer having the extra time I had in undergrad to study like when you get off at 2pm. But my class works together, shares notes and is very supportive of each other so I wouldn't change it for the world!

We get reading break in the winter and I think they are adding in fall break as well? Also sometimes throughout the semester you might randomly have a block or two off class called "student protected time" where you can use it for whatever you like (sleeping in, studying, appointments etc). I'm not sure if they are trying to add more in or not but we have been having like 1 a week lately when in the fall term it was like once a month!

Essay questions could be anything like Awesomenessity said, they can be ethics, knowledge, or completely random topic. But I think what's important is being able to argue/justify your point :) and I think the word limit was 750? I'm not sure if you want to be crazy below the word limit, but a little shouldn't be a problem if you are succinct and explained your reasoning well!
Thanks so much! This helped a lot

Another quick question before heading off to Calgary! Some of you probably help with the interview process so you would know. Can I shut my phone off and keep it at the bottom of my backpack not to be seen or touched until the end of the interview? And can we have our phones during the clinical skills building tour?

Another quick question before heading off to Calgary! Some of you probably help with the interview process so you would know. Can I shut my phone off and keep it at the bottom of my backpack not to be seen or touched until the end of the interview? And can we have our phones during the clinical skills building tour?

You can have your phone during the tour, just don't take any photos or anything! And I think the first should be okay, but I would check with your group leader (though it's a bit late now I think haha)

It was so lovely getting to meet all the applicants today! You guys were so nice and I'm really excited to potentially have you in our faculty next year :biglove: Good job and enjoy a well deserved break from this chaos hahaha

Reactions: 2 users
I've been creeping on these threads for a while now but I thought I'd finally post! :p Has anyone received a first round interview for WCVM yet??

@HelloSunshine96 I've also been a lurker for a while! Haven't heard anything yet and I'm getting more impatient everyday! :rolleyes:

Would you guys mind posting about how many times you've applied and what your GPA is? This is my first time applying (BC resident), and my average is 84%, so I don't know if I should be holding my breath for an interview or not

Would you guys mind posting about how many times you've applied and what your GPA is? This is my first time applying (BC resident), and my average is 84%, so I don't know if I should be holding my breath for an interview or not
I'm a BC resident as well! I go to school in the States so they only do GPA, and I have no idea how to convert that to a percentage:rolleyes: But it is my first time applying too!

Is that your admissions average (after factoring in best year), or just your cumulative GPA?

Last year the people I know that got 2nd round interviews had 85-86% admissions averages. IIRC the cut off for interviews last year was around 84% cumulative with a best year of 87% or 88%.

Fingers crossed for all of us :)

Is that your admissions average (after factoring in best year), or just your cumulative GPA?

Last year the people I know that got 2nd round interviews had 85-86% admissions averages. IIRC the cut off for interviews last year was around 84% cumulative with a best year of 87% or 88%.

So from what I've gathered online, a 84% cumulative would be like a 3.2ish GPA?? Or is that not correct:wideyed:

So from what I've gathered online, a 84% cumulative would be like a 3.2ish GPA?? Or is that not correct:wideyed:
I don't have any clue about the GPA system, especially when the %s vary so much between schools. For example, an A at my school is 85%+, whereas an A at some schools I know in the states is 90%+. So depending on if you converted from letter grade or % on your transcript your GPA could have a huge range (for example mine was 2.something-3.something depending on methods used). You could always email Heather and ask. :)

I don't have any clue about the GPA system, especially when the %s vary so much between schools. For example, an A at my school is 85%+, whereas an A at some schools I know in the states is 90%+. So depending on if you converted from letter grade or % on your transcript your GPA could have a huge range (for example mine was 2.something-3.something depending on methods used). You could always email Heather and ask. :)
Ya I know its so confusing, our school is 90% and up is an "A". Every place is definitely different, and my GPA is a 3.650 but I am totally clueless what percent that would be!

Last year and the first semester of this year my averages have been 84.5-84.7
But I did transfer schools, I did a year before but not a full course load. That school only gave out letter grades, which is extra confusing because each department (and even different profs) have their own grading scale, so how my grades from then will be converted I'm not sure about... I'm really hoping that doesn't work against my favour but I guess I will have to wait and see.
What do you mean by IIRC?

The conversion to GPA is so confusing, there seems to be a lot of different systems. Just by looking online, some scales 84 would be 3.2 and others its a 4.0!

I got a first round interview for BC! I'm so shocked! I didn't get an interview last year so I took a 5th year and it dropped my first year so theres absolutely hope for everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got one for BC too!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I just got a first round for Alberta!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got a first round for Alberta!
can i ask what your overall average was? (percent wise?) (i didn't apply this year but i might next year depending on if my gpa/ percent is competitive

I got a WCVM interview too! Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on the interview invites everyone!! :) My school has a 4.5 GPA scale, and I'm at a 4.25, although I'm not sure how that gets converted to percentage.. I'm a Manitoba resident and I haven't heard anything, so I'm hoping that they haven't sent MB invites out yet. Was really hoping my marks were competitive enough, but maybe it was a tough pool this year! Fingers crossed haha :xf:

can i ask what your overall average was? (percent wise?) (i didn't apply this year but i might next year depending on if my gpa/ percent is competitive
I'd rather not share my exact GPA, but I think that if you are an Alberta resident and have over a 3.5-3.6 (on the 4.0 scale, which is what most Albertan schools follow I believe), that you should definitely apply. This is my first time applying to WCVM, so I'm not sure what the GPA average typically is for those who get an interview.

I would definitely send Heather an email!

I did my undergrad at a University in BC, my GPA was 3.72 on a 4.33 scale, so naturally I assumed that means 3.72/4.33 = 85.9% average. However, WCVM converts each grade separately. So for example if you have an A which is 90-100% range they have a predetermined percentage they will take such as 95%. I remember Heather did refer me to a website that detailed exactly how the conversions were done, but I am having NO luck searching it right now. Anyways... while I was thinking I had an 85.9% turns out that I actually had around 84% after WCVM converted my grades - and needless to say, I did not get offered a BC interview last year.

I have applied 3 times from BC. My cumulative average with my best year included was 84% during those three times since I had not done extra schooling. I received a second round interview the first time I applied (that would have been in 2015) and nothing the other two years. This year I applied from SK, completing another year of school as well and I just received a first round interview!!!
So 84% has been competitive from BC in the past, and if you still have a few more years left there is that chance to improve. You're very close, I would not lose hope! :)

Reactions: 2 users
How do conversions work? Does anyone know....

Did.... did you not read the thread...?
Yes I did. I guess I should be more specific...There's a formula floating around somewhere on one of the past threads about WCVM but I can't find it! I was just wondering if someone knew where to find it or what it is.

Yes I did. I guess I should be more specific...There's a formula floating around somewhere on one of the past threads about WCVM but I can't find it! I was just wondering if someone knew where to find it or what it is.
Literally everyone here today has said they don’t know how to do the conversions........

How do conversions work? Does anyone know....
Really depends on your school and their grading system. As said above, Heather is the best contact for specifics related to your school.

If your transcript has both a GPA and a % on it, Heather told me they will use the % for the calculations. If there is only a letter grade or GPA point scale, they will convert based on (IIRC) the U of S grading style.

If your school is one of the usual feeder schools, you might be able to find it in past threads. Otherwise Heather is definitely your best bet. :)

Literally everyone here today has said they don’t know how to do the conversions........
Yea for sure! Found that thread at last though and I think it's something like this
[cumulative average * (2/3)] + [best year * (1/3)] = admission average
But I also emailed them to be sure :)

Really depends on your school and their grading system. As said above, Heather is the best contact for specifics related to your school.

If your transcript has both a GPA and a % on it, Heather told me they will use the % for the calculations. If there is only a letter grade or GPA point scale, they will convert based on (IIRC) the U of S grading style.

If your school is one of the usual feeder schools, you might be able to find it in past threads. Otherwise Heather is definitely your best bet. :)
Thank you!! I emailed Heather like you said :happy: