This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea for sure! Found that thread at last though and I think it's something like this
[cumulative average * (2/3)] + [best year * (1/3)] = admission average
But I also emailed them to be sure :)
Oh I thought you meant conversion from your school GPA to Sask GPA.

Yeah, the 2/3 and 1/3 formula is on the admissions page of their website with the all school prereqs and such.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who got first round interview from BC or Alberta care to share what their GPA was?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who got first round interview from BC or Alberta care to share what their GPA was?

I got one from Alberta, with 2/3 overall and 1/3 best year I am at 89% I asked Heather how they convert letter grade to percentage last year and she sent me the following scale. I don't know if this is specific to U of A but we use a 4.0 gpa scale. I am also assuming that I am near the bottom of the invited interviews for Alberta. Hope this helps

A+ = 95%
A = 93%
A- = 84%
B+ = 78%
B = 75%
B- = 72%

Thanks guys! Hoping for a second round. First year applying. I figured last year I would have made the cut-off based off my calculations. Still have one course to finish of the required ones, so maybe that is it.

Woke up this morning and saw I got invited for an SK interview!:clap:

Reactions: 9 users
Hey all you WCVM people! Congrats on the first round interviews!! For those of you who did not receive first round don't worry second round will come sooner than you think!! I was a second round interview and I, among many of my current vet friends, got in last year so I can tell you first vs. second doesn't really matter (I was worried about that when I visited this thread hoping for interviews lol).

Anyway I just wanted to tell you that the GPA/% conversion changes a lot from one year to the next and is so different between provinces so if possible, try not to stress about the percent.. I know it's hard not to think about because you hope to do statistics to predict your interview but I assure you it is just more stressful.

Best of luck though and keep up the updates! I hope to see you guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all you WCVM people! Congrats on the first round interviews!! For those of you who did not receive first round don't worry second round will come sooner than you think!! I was a second round interview and I, among many of my current vet friends, got in last year so I can tell you first vs. second doesn't really matter (I was worried about that when I visited this thread hoping for interviews lol).

Anyway I just wanted to tell you that the GPA/% conversion changes a lot from one year to the next and is so different between provinces so if possible, try not to stress about the percent.. I know it's hard not to think about because you hope to do statistics to predict your interview but I assure you it is just more stressful.

Best of luck though and keep up the updates! I hope to see you guys!

Hey cowsarelife,

What did you find most helpful when prepping for your interview?

Reactions: 2 users
Interview dates just went out! Anyone else interviewing in Saskatoon on May 2nd ?!

Hey cowsarelife,

What did you find most helpful when prepping for your interview?
Hey,

So I found prep for my interview came mostly from just going through all the things I've done on my application (they get most of their interview questions based on your experiences and what they think you should have got from them). It is useful to know some things about the community around you, and national and international newsworthy events. Also you should think about the leadership things you have done that don't involve veterinary medicine. They do expect you to know some things about welfare too so knowing some of the positions of the CVMA is definitely useful.

It is difficult to tell someone what would work best to prepare since each interview is pretty individualized much like a job interview, but being confident and honest should put you at the top of their list. They definitely don't like know-it-alls and appreciate when you say "I don't know." They also will push you to that point because they want to know how far you're willing to go to give them the answer you think they want too.

I think the most important thing though is to stick to what you know, what your beliefs are and don't over prepare!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, any previous applicants or current applicants from large universities?
I know they don't apply inflation when looking at different schools you are applying from within the same province (as averages definitely range from different unis but oh well) - does anyone know if they take this into consideration during the interview process? I've been told by others that it is a disadvantage to apply from a larger school but I have no idea if that statement has any truth to it.

Hey folks, I searched everywhere for this info so I'm sorry if it's floating around somewhere....

Do you guys know of any courses that can be taken in undergrad to knock off some of the courses in vet (ex: parasitology)?

Hey folks, I searched everywhere for this info so I'm sorry if it's floating around somewhere....

Do you guys know of any courses that can be taken in undergrad to knock off some of the courses in vet (ex: parasitology)?
While I don’t know the specifics for these two schools, I would guess no because the undergrad classes usually aren’t as in depth as the vet school classes. I’ve heard people say that their whole undergrad class was covered in the first two weeks of the vet school level class, for a frame of reference. It certainly is not a bad idea to take the undergrad version because it gives you a bit of exposure to the class and a few topics might be easier, but you most likely won’t be super ahead of the rest of the class, in general, by taking the undergrad course.

Yeah, the way vet school works is that it's an all or nothing program... You get handed your schedule at the beginning of the year and you do all of the courses on it. Even if you fail a course and have to retake it, you retake the entire year of courses (i.e. repeat the year you failed a course in) rather than progressing to the next year and just retaking that one class. It's a bit intense haha. So even if you have taken a course previously, you still need to retake it once you're in vet med.

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking of taking some management or economics courses to both boost my GPA and get a preview but I don't think I'll put myself through it now that I'll have to do it anyways :laugh: Thank you @awesomenessity and @SkiOtter! Very helpful!

Hey everyone, hope all you first round WCVM interview people are getting excited!!:) Just wondering what everyone is wearing for the interview? I'm not quite sure how fancy to go... haha

Lucky!! I don't have my finals for another week still :eek: But fingers crossed for you!! I'm sure it'll turn out well :)
Oh that sucks, sorry to hear you haven't finished yet!

Thanks, we shall see how my exams went. I'm right on the cusp so don't want to get too hopeful haha.

In regards to interview, all the ladies I've known who have interviewed have done either pantsuits, skirtsuits, or dress with jacket. Black or navy.

Oh that sucks, sorry to hear you haven't finished yet!

Thanks, we shall see how my exams went. I'm right on the cusp so don't want to get too hopeful haha.

In regards to interview, all the ladies I've known who have interviewed have done either pantsuits, skirtsuits, or dress with jacket. Black or navy.
Ok awesome thanks! :) I'll look into putting an outfit together, I'm usually a pretty casual dresser hehe:p

Hey everyone, hope all you first round WCVM interview people are getting excited!!:) Just wondering what everyone is wearing for the interview? I'm not quite sure how fancy to go... haha

I took this as an occasion to buy a brand new outfit haha. I'm wearing a black blazer with black dress pants, a plain white blouse and some black flats. So like business formal. But I think the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and confident in what you'e wearing.

Ok awesome thanks! :) I'll look into putting an outfit together, I'm usually a pretty casual dresser hehe:p
There’s a thread called Interview attire that you could look through (or at least some of the more recent posts) to get some inspiration from what other people wore to their interviews at other schools!
For my interviews (not either of these schools), I wore a black blazer, black dress pants, and a colored “shell” top (apparently that’s what it’s called, but it’s basically a sleeveless top made to go under suit jackets so you’re not too hot or bunchy as with long sleeves)

Hello everyone
I know each applicant has different interview questions based on his/her background and personal history. Are the interview questions the same every year for an applicant?

Hello everyone
I know each applicant has different interview questions based on his/her background and personal history. Are the interview questions the same every year for an applicant?
I'm not really sure but I'm assuming that the interview questions are not exactly the same, due to changing experiences and schoolwork/grades. They may be similar, but I wouldn't bet on them being the exact same. Plus the current events will obviously differ and they could ask different random animal-related questions.

I'm not really sure but I'm assuming that the interview questions are not exactly the same, due to changing experiences and schoolwork/grades. They may be similar, but I wouldn't bet on them being the exact same. Plus the current events will obviously differ and they could ask different random animal-related questions.

Hello HelloSunshine 96

I think the same as you do, but the vet who I shadowed told me that she got the same interview questions during her second interview. That's why I am wondering if we will have the same interview questions. Thank you for leaving a comment on my question.

Hello HelloSunshine 96

I think the same as you do, but the vet who I shadowed told me that she got the same interview questions during her second interview. That's why I am wondering if we will have the same interview questions. Thank you for leaving a comment on my question.
Oh wow that's so strange! Well I guess if they are the same at least you will be prepared! :p

Hello everyone

A friend of mine as been interviewed 3 times for WCVM, and none of the interviews have been the same. The general questions like "tell us about yourself, who are you without animals, etc" have been the same though!

A friend of mine as been interviewed 3 times for WCVM, and none of the interviews have been the same. The general questions like "tell us about yourself, who are you without animals, etc" have been the same though!

It makes more sense that the panels ask the same interviewee different questions every year because it will be unreasonable that the panels are keeping the questions they asked.

For all of those interviewing - or those who have had interviews in the past/have gotten in - how are you preparing yourselves? My interview is in 6 days and safe to say I'm definitely nervous!

For all of those interviewing - or those who have had interviews in the past/have gotten in - how are you preparing yourselves? My interview is in 6 days and safe to say I'm definitely nervous!
I feel the exact same!! Mine is in 9 days and I am definitely freaking out:hungry:

Good luck to those of you prepping!

I'm becoming more and more of a nervous wreck leading up until 2nd round offers coming out. Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine about how many applications there was/how competitive it was this year?

To prepare I looked at the news every day so I would have some current events in mind that I would be able to discuss. Make sure to look at both current events relating to animals and those that have nothing to do with animals. Know your application and be able to discuss your experiences in more detail than you have in your application. I would really recommend knowing where you stand on different animal husbandry systems in animal agriculture.
I know your probably tired of hearing this but try not to think of it as a terrifying event, just a chat to show them why you are a great candidate for the program.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions :)

I know what you mean!
For SK applicants I've heard through some professors that the averages were lower this year. Also, the SK applicants I know who got second round last year, have gotten first round this year. Not sure about the other provinces though.

A friend of mine in the SK pool got first round last year, but not this year. She also was not in school so her average has not changed at all. Based on this firsthand knowledge of my friend's situation, the SK pool seems to have gotten more competitive... Did your acquaintances in the SK pool improve their averages since applying last year?

A friend of mine in the SK pool got first round last year, but not this year. She also was not in school so her average has not changed at all. Based on this firsthand knowledge of my friend's situation, the SK pool seems to have gotten more competitive... Did your acquaintances in the SK pool improve their averages since applying last year?

Interesting, guess we never really know until the admission stats come out! I was hoping to find some info regarding the Equity averages but haven't found anything so far.
One of my friends was in school this year and improved their average by ~1%, while the other was not in school this year so their average is the same.

Interesting, guess we never really know until the admission stats come out! I was hoping to find some info regarding the Equity averages but haven't found anything so far.
One of my friends was in school this year and improved their average by ~1%, while the other was not in school this year so their average is the same.
Do you know what the Equity averages were for last year?

Yikes, when Heather and Dr. Chris Clark came to our institution this year they said that they thought the greatly increased number of Sask applicants was an exception and not the new normal. That's really unfortunate for those currently in the process of switching their residency if Sask gets so much more competitive.

Do you know what the Equity averages were for last year?

When I talked to Heather she said the averages that got interviews last year were about 80% overall, with 88% best year, and with the WCVM conversion it was 82.66%. With my WCVM conversion of a few .00% less than 80%, I'm not really hopeful for an interview this year.

Yikes, when Heather and Dr. Chris Clark came to our institution this year they said that they thought the greatly increased number of Sask applicants was an exception and not the new normal. That's really unfortunate for those currently in the process of switching their residency if Sask gets so much more competitive.

I suppose a more competitive pool would be good for the college, but not so good for us applicants. When I went to the admissions night this year they said they were unsure whether it was an exception or if the trend would continue. I suppose we will find out when the admissions statistics are released though.

I suppose a more competitive pool would be good for the college, but not so good for us applicants. When I went to the admissions night this year they said they were unsure whether it was an exception or if the trend would continue. I suppose we will find out when the admissions statistics are released though.

I keep telling myself the averages have gotta come down at some point, right?! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking :/

I keep telling myself the averages have gotta come down at some point, right?! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking :/

Fingers crossed! It's like that old saying.. what goes up must come back down! :rolleyes: