This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, does anyone know if you're allowed to take courses after you graduate? I want to apply for graduation but don't want to not have the option to take an extra term and improve my GPA if I want.

As far as the WCVM goes, I don't believe this is a problem. I applied for convocation and then took courses afterwards. I also have a friend who returned to university to take some pre-requisites for vet school after finishing his BSc several years prior (He didn't have an interest in vet med at the time of his first degree). He was doing an extra year to have his first year of marks dropped.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the info guys! Another question... How did you go about getting a U of C prof recommendation letter? Is it a formal letter they have to write or do they simply just fill out a form saying that they think we would excel in vet school because our marks are high? They have all told us in class not to ask them for a letter since there are 600+ of us in these classes and they can't really get to know us that well. It looks like it's due in January too! I've tried to really get to know the profs over the last couple years of my degree (be a course rep, go to office hours), but they don't seem like it's something they want/can do.

Hey guys!
I'm now a little confused about the full-time course load rules, so could someone please enlighten me? I thought this whole time that you had to take the 10 pre-req courses in a FULL course load (at least 4 per term). So, to repeat any of those courses, wouldn't you have to take a 5 course load? I thought you weren't allowed to take any in spring or summer. If I already have a degree and can any of those 4 years of 4 courses per term, could I repeat one of the pre-reqs in spring or summer?

Also, does anyone know if you're allowed to take courses after you graduate? I want to apply for graduation but don't want to not have the option to take an extra term and improve my GPA if I want.

In regard to the second question, I graduated 2 years ago at the U of S and I am now doing another year of "open studies" to boost my average with no issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feel all weird and awkward asking your referees to reference them? Just me? Ok.
awkward.png

YES this is the hardest part, haha! Most of them have hinted like don't ask me...

Hey @justdobeit! I know your question about courses after graduation has been answered, but just wanted to mention some advice I got from the admissions office, and you probably already know this. When doing an additional year after graduation, it's best to do upper-level courses (taking a 300 level instead of 100 or 200 level) and 5 courses each semester if at all possible.

Hey Guys! Does anyone understand what the 5 non-subsidized seats pilot program for WCVM means? I'm a little confused..

Hey Guys! Does anyone understand what the 5 non-subsidized seats pilot program for WCVM means? I'm a little confused..
Sounds like they are allowing in domestic student but they will have to pay basically an international student tuition (non-subsidized). Similar to AVC, except they allow international or domestic student to fill those spots I think.

Here is a quick summary of what was told to us WCVM students (or at least how I understood it):

- as of right now, no other province is willing to fill the lost Alberta seats - Manitoba is even looking at cutting back
- there are a large number of people who don't get in to vet school in Canada so they get their education elsewhere (and pay significantly more)
- to see if this is actually a viable way of filling the lost Alberta seats they are doing this pilot program to gauge interest
- 5 seats will be offered at full price (about $11k normal tuition PLUS the $50k the provinces supplement)
- a survey will be sent to all current applicants sometime in the new year asking whether or not they would be willing to pay the non-subsidized amount
- following the normal ranking and acceptance process (including wait-listers) to fill all the provincially funded seats, they will pool everyone who said they are willing to pay extra for the seat and rank them, using this list to fill the 5 pilot project seats

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense?... In the meantime, the college is really hoping that BC will pick up at least a couple of the lost Alberta seats. In addition, they have also appealed to the Federal Government to sponsor more equity seats. It seems that they ultimately really want to make sure that as many seats as possible are offered to western Canadian students (even at additional costs), with opening the college up to international applicants as a last-resort.

Last edited:
Lol welcome to US tuition prices.

That’s actually about 5k USD cheaper than my oos tuition :dead:
Lol welcome to US tuition prices.

That’s actually about 5k USD cheaper than my oos tuition :dead:

Yep, I wouldn't do it if I had to go into that much debt. The 11k a year plus living expenses is hard enough for me right now

Reactions: 2 users
I’m pretty sure that doesn’t even cover the cost of training the student, though. Alberta was giving 8 million per year, which with their 20 students in each year averaged out to 100,000/student/year. So even with the student paying 60,000, that is 50,000 short of the 110,000 the province and student usually contribute.

But yeah, of the people that I know who have asked me about it I’ve told them not to do it. If you are close enough to getting in that they offer you that unsponsored seat, you can improve your application enough to get in and not go into rediculous amounts of debt. I certainly would not be in vet school if I had to pay that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm originally from BC but currently living and working in Calgary. For those who have already submitted your UCVM applications, does anyone know what UCVM asks as proof of Alberta Residency? Drivers licence, AB Health Card, or both? Thanks a bunch!

I'm originally from BC but currently living and working in Calgary. For those who have already submitted your UCVM applications, does anyone know what UCVM asks as proof of Alberta Residency? Drivers licence, AB Health Card, or both? Thanks a bunch!

I used my drivers licence, so something along that lines :)

Eek, they listed me under the wrong province on my application - I messaged them already but it's causing me some anxiety. Can't deal with anything with all the moving and the 12hr shifts, anyone else exhausted?!?
Anxiety-meme-5.jpg

Hey, question here... So I've already applied to UCVM and WCVM and I had three great terms and kept up a GPA of around 3.6. Then suddenly this term a lot of things in my life turned upside down all at once near final exams. I went to my doctor and he gave me medication to try to pull me through the finals, but I had a panic attack in two of them and just know I blew them. Those finals were 50%, so now the GPA of this term is just destroyed and I am now pretty sure I won't make the interview cutoff. The problem is that now I'm in my last term of courses so I can't redo any of them as a better grade in them later isn't not going to change the GPA of this term, just the individual pre-req grades. I guess my question is, do they take your last four terms no matter what? Has there ever been an instance of providing a doctor's letter for permission to more or less take one term out of the equation so they won't use this last one and I can just take two more terms after this instead of one? I am just extremely depressed now because years of hard work is more or less completely gone in just this last week.

Hey, question here... So I've already applied to UCVM and WCVM and I had three great terms and kept up a GPA of around 3.6. Then suddenly this term a lot of things in my life turned upside down all at once near final exams. I went to my doctor and he gave me medication to try to pull me through the finals, but I had a panic attack in two of them and just know I blew them. Those finals were 50%, so now the GPA of this term is just destroyed and I am now pretty sure I won't make the interview cutoff. The problem is that now I'm in my last term of courses so I can't redo any of them as a better grade in them later isn't not going to change the GPA of this term, just the individual pre-req grades. I guess my question is, do they take your last four terms no matter what? Has there ever been an instance of providing a doctor's letter for permission to more or less take one term out of the equation so they won't use this last one and I can just take two more terms after this instead of one? I am just extremely depressed now because years of hard work is more or less completely gone in just this last week.

Hey, this is a fairly unique circumstance so you would probably be best to email the admissions offices of both schools to see if there is anything they can do for you :)

Hey @helpwithschool! That's a very good GPA already! I know how drastically GPA can go down with just a few bad grades but if it's just one semester, have you tried calculating what it would go down to? I just wanted to add that last time I asked one of the two schools if I could drop just one semester (can't recall which school), they said you have to drop the whole year and not individual semesters. Since they have space dedicated to special circumstances on the applications, I don't see why they wouldn't consider your case. But @awesomenessity is absolutely right and contacting them is the best option.:)

Eek, they listed me under the wrong province on my application - I messaged them already but it's causing me some anxiety. Can't deal with anything with all the moving and the 12hr shifts, anyone else exhausted?!?

Was that for WCVM? If so, this has happened to 2 of my friends as well. They got it all figured out with no issues so I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm also exhausted and sad Christmas break is over tomorrow :(

Yeah it is. Still trying to get my ducks in a row with everything being shut down/slowed for Christmas/New Years... and the postal strike is kind of making things a little stressful. Also they said in the email that my drivers and health card had to have issue dates of Dec 1 - I'm not really sure how that's possible because you need to have proof of residency to apply for health cards. I had to submit utilities etc. to get it. Does anyone know if issue date of those documents is a thing or just being able to prove you were living/working in that province is really what's needed, which was my original thought.

Anyone else have the holiday plague? I got it last night and trying to get through my shift was BRUTAL, and I got the flu shot y'all. I'm languishing over here, peeps.

Transcript question - it said if we were still in school to wait to send transcripts until after fall, is there a deadline? I'm still waiting on one of my grades from fall

Transcript question - it said if we were still in school to wait to send transcripts until after fall, is there a deadline? I'm still waiting on one of my grades from fall
I would just email admissions and explain - it’s not within your control so I’m sure it’s fine! :)

It says this under Message of the Day if you log into the portal!

Reminders:
- Transcripts are due Jan. 31, 2019 for current year courses (Sept-Dec 2018 grades). Applicants who have applied previously are not required to re-send previous transcripts unless new courses/degrees have been completed/awarded.
- References are due Feb. 15, 2019.

However I'm sure they would understand if you haven't gotten your grade yet - I would message them using the portal. I sent my transcript right after Christmas by mail (once I received all my grades) and they still haven't received it yet/haven't updated the portal to state that they have received it. Probably because of the holidays and Canada post strike!

Thanks so much for the info guys! Another question... How did you go about getting a U of C prof recommendation letter? Is it a formal letter they have to write or do they simply just fill out a form saying that they think we would excel in vet school because our marks are high? They have all told us in class not to ask them for a letter since there are 600+ of us in these classes and they can't really get to know us that well. It looks like it's due in January too! I've tried to really get to know the profs over the last couple years of my degree (be a course rep, go to office hours), but they don't seem like it's something they want/can do.

Hi there! I saw your earlier post and wanted to jump in. For UCVM the pre recs can be done at different times (so for example i did genetics over the summer but did most of my other pre recs in a 7-6 course year (i highly do not recommend taking 7 courses in your undergrad ... but im bad at taking my own advice)) but your main terms you're using for your GPA need to show you handled a full course load :). Also for taking courses after you graduate you can do it! You'll be considered likely an "open studies" student so you wont be working towards another degree or anything but you'll be able to take courses (theres some restrictions on registration dates of course but generally youll be able to take some courses)

Also I went to UBC before getting in to UCVM this year but I ensured I was asking profs that were teaching much smaller classes and made sure i was email corresponding with the prof i asked. I also tried to get involved with the profs research as an assistant for the term so I made sure it wasn't just as a student, but also at a more personal level so they could see my work ethic. Do you maybe have some classes where the prof has more time to know you at an individual level?

Heyo! I actually was one of the few "unique circumstance" students! I tanked one of my years because we had a death in the family. I hated writing about it in detail and providing the "proof" of why my GPA was suddenly not at a competitive level. Please feel free to message me if you want to know what i did to help myself out application wise. But my explanation of what happened and the proof was taken very sensitively by both WCVM and UCVM. And currently I just finished my first term at UCVM so please dont be too discouraged! You got this!!

Hi guys! Does anyone know how they convert your GPA to percentage for WCVM? All the admission statistics are given in percentages and I don't know how mine will fit in as my GPA is on the lower end and I can't stop thinking about it since I applied!

Hi guys! Does anyone know how they convert your GPA to percentage for WCVM? All the admission statistics are given in percentages and I don't know how mine will fit in as my GPA is on the lower end and I can't stop thinking about it since I applied!

I think you have to email admissions about that. I think the percentages/GPA conversion vary depending on what school you go to/province you live.

Anxiety-meme-5.jpg
The info you entered determined your residency. I was told the office has to manually check residency for all apps (400+) once the deadline is past. You probably had to send in your proof of residency docs for the change.

Hey, not sure if I’m posting in the right forum but I’m looking for advice as a prevent student, looking to apply to WCVM in 2022, I AM TERRIFIED TO APPLY. being a vet has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and I’ve been working on my undergrad and vet experience hours seriously for about a year and a half now, but I hear so many “horror stories” about life in vet school I’m worrying I’m not cut out for it. Do you have time for your relationships in vet school, (I’ve been in a serious relationship for 7 years now), friendships, and family relationships (very worried about these two as my bf and I will be relocating to Saskatoon if I get in, from BC) and your hobbies/interest? This migh seem strange but I’m pretty serious about my “spiritual practice” and I’m worried the demands of vet school will make me put it, and my life ,on hold for 4/5 years and look back and realize my relationships with my partner friends and family and self suffered because vet school is so consuming. Do you have any free time on a daily basis? Or only once every few weeks? Is it really that stressful? Is there anyway I can best prepare? Thank you for any one with advice that read through all this lol.
In regards to your relationship:
It is up to you to put your relationship as a priority, and you can certainly make it work. That being said, vet school is a pressure cooker and I know a ton of long term relationships in my class that have ended since August when we started. However, most (if not all) of those were people who were not living together; everyone I know of that lives together are still together.

You can make time for anything, it just depends on how you prioritize and what you are okay with your grades being (6-0 and go! is a common saying at the school lol). I personally hate studying and have a fairly active life outside of school (several intramurals, go out with friends frequently, go to every wet lab and opportunity I can, attempt to play the dating scene, etc) and that has been a lifesaver for my mental health. You absolutely do not have to (and should NOT) be studying for endless hours every single day. That is also not a requirement to get good grades, if you decide that those are important to you (which to a point I discourage).

Typically I don't study much unless we have an exam. This week I studied 3 hours yesterday and 2 hours today (which is probably a record for not having an exam this week) and that is the first studying I've done since we got back to class at the beginning of January (with the exception of 1 day/8ish hours I spent studying for a different midterm) Next week I'll probably be studying 3+ hours per night because we have a phys midterm Thursday. Before the 1st phys midterm I studied probably 30+ hours over 2.5 days. So it really just varies depending on what's going on. Sometimes you will have no time free time, sometimes you'll have lots of free time.

You will make new friends, too. I've made some incredible friendships that I have faith will exist through the rest of my life, and those relationships to me are just as valuable as those I have with my friends from home and family. In that regard I don't think you are putting life on hold for vet school, you are just entering a different stage of life with different people and a different environment.

I love vet school, but we all have days where we hate it (particularly during exams lol). So yeah, parts of it will suck, but that doesn't mean the entire thing will suck. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I'm always happy to chat. :)

Hey, not sure if I’m posting in the right forum but I’m looking for advice as a prevent student, looking to apply to WCVM in 2022, I AM TERRIFIED TO APPLY. being a vet has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and I’ve been working on my undergrad and vet experience hours seriously for about a year and a half now, but I hear so many “horror stories” about life in vet school I’m worrying I’m not cut out for it. Do you have time for your relationships in vet school, (I’ve been in a serious relationship for 7 years now), friendships, and family relationships (very worried about these two as my bf and I will be relocating to Saskatoon if I get in, from BC) and your hobbies/interest? This migh seem strange but I’m pretty serious about my “spiritual practice” and I’m worried the demands of vet school will make me put it, and my life ,on hold for 4/5 years and look back and realize my relationships with my partner friends and family and self suffered because vet school is so consuming. Do you have any free time on a daily basis? Or only once every few weeks? Is it really that stressful? Is there anyway I can best prepare? Thank you for any one with advice that read through all this lol.

Like TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo said, a lot of it depends on how/what you prioritize. For me, I often have trouble catching information the first time it is presented in lecture so I have to spend a few hours prepping/reviewing material each night; this means I have less time to do my hobbies, go to the gym, etc. because I need to put in a lot of time to even just get "average" grades. However, I make time every week for my interests, friends, etc. because otherwise I would burn out and my mental health would probably spiral downward.

As far as relationships go, I am in a longterm 5 year relationship (not living together, but in the same city). I make sure I spend some time with him on the weekends and I'm lucky that he's super understanding of the strains of vet school. I know some students in my class live with their partner and enjoy it, but also say it can be frustrating if their partner doesn't respect their needs to study when at home.

My advice on how to best prepare: take a full load of classes in your undergrad. I completed my degree and had some heavy semesters, but it made me much better at handling the course load in vet school. Additionally, make sure you know how to study or be prepared to re-learn how to study in vet school. You must be able to understand, integrate, and explain key concepts.

I have only been able to afford 12 credits per semester, so like 3 classes with labs, but I have started applying for financial assistance. From my understanding that’s only like 1/4 of the credits you take in vet school, approximately how many credits do you think I should take to help me prepare?how many do you usually take per semester in the program? I’m not sure I could afford more than 16 unless my student loans are accepted next year.
WCVM does like to see at least 1 semester of 5 courses, but you can get in even if you haven’t done that.

I think taking 5 is beneficial, at least if you can do so without your grades suffering. You’ll learn to adapt either way though.

We have 41 credits over the course of the year, spread between 13/14 courses. Some courses are all year, some courses are just for a month or two, some are for a semester. It’s a very different schedule than what you see for undergrad. Currently we are in 8 courses, finishing 1 soon and then adding 3 more. We have finished 2 other courses since starting the year. Of those courses, 2 are show up and pass (pass/fail), and 2 other ones are practical exam pass/fail courses.

WCVM does like to see at least 1 semester of 5 courses, but you can get in even if you haven’t done that.

I think taking 5 is beneficial, at least if you can do so without your grades suffering. You’ll learn to adapt either way though.

We have 41 credits over the course of the year, spread between 13/14 courses. Some courses are all year, some courses are just for a month or two, some are for a semester. It’s a very different schedule than what you see for undergrad. Currently we are in 8 courses, finishing 1 soon and then adding 3 more. We have finished 2 other courses since starting the year. Of those courses, 2 are show up and pass (pass/fail), and 2 other ones are practical exam pass/fail courses.

@Nwtbc Ferny basically covered it all! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Manitoba is even looking at cutting back
Manitoba now funds 15 new students each year, or 60 for the four year program, to study at the WCVM in Saskatoon. The province has proposed to reduce its seats at the WCVM to 10 new students per year
@@
The Manitoba government has complained to WCVM that only 70 percent of Manitoba students return to the province to practice. In other words, Manitoba taxpayers aren’t getting a fair return on their investment.

The info you entered determined your residency. I was told the office has to manually check residency for all apps (400+) once the deadline is past. You probably had to send in your proof of residency docs for the change.
Yes, I sent in my documents - it was just stressful because I had worked for a small company run by one guy and he was being super slow at replying to emails, getting me documents etc. Literally down to the wire with my statement of employment, had to ask like 9 times... Just goes to show, ask for these things right out of the gate! Save yourself the stress. Also, health cards come in the mail after their impossibly long application process and the postal strike wasn't making things easier/faster. Then add another layer of complexity with professional licensing between provinces... Ugh. I'm not trashing them for doing their jobs, it's just stressful is all I'm saying.

Hi all! This is my first time posting and I think the anxiety about my application is starting to catch up to me! I'm a BC applicant, with a overall grade percentage of 89% (using the 2/3 overall average and 1/3 best year calculation. I guess I'm just stressing that I won't be able to get an interview with those grades. I've already graduated, so I know that my grade will not change. I have over 1000 hours of SA vet experience but am lacking on the large animal side (though I do shadow a large animal vet and volunteer at a couple farms). I'm just trying to figure out if I'm kidding myself thinking I may have a shot of getting accepted with a lower GPA and limited experience :(

Hi all! This is my first time posting and I think the anxiety about my application is starting to catch up to me! I'm a BC applicant, with a overall grade percentage of 89% (using the 2/3 overall average and 1/3 best year calculation. I guess I'm just stressing that I won't be able to get an interview with those grades. I've already graduated, so I know that my grade will not change. I have over 1000 hours of SA vet experience but am lacking on the large animal side (though I do shadow a large animal vet and volunteer at a couple farms). I'm just trying to figure out if I'm kidding myself thinking I may have a shot of getting accepted with a lower GPA and limited experience :(
You are absolutely fine. With 89% you are basically guaranteed an interview (My average was a solid 4% less than yours and I got one).

I would not consider you low on grades or experience. If you are absolutely stressing about experience you could try and get something like wildlife that you don't already have to add some variety, but honestly I think your application sounds quite competitive already. Just practice your interview skills and prepare for that. :)

You are absolutely fine. With 89% you are basically guaranteed an interview (My average was a solid 4% less than yours and I got one).

I would not consider you low on grades or experience. If you are absolutely stressing about experience you could try and get something like wildlife that you don't already have to add some variety, but honestly I think your application sounds quite competitive already. Just practice your interview skills and prepare for that. :)

Ah thank you for some reassurance! And thanks for the tip about adding more variety!! My plan for this spring is actually to volunteer more at the local wildlife rescue near me. The emergency vet I work at does deal with some wildlife, but it’s maybe 5-6 cases per week so it’s nothing too substantial.

Definitely not low on grades or experience! For context, I had only about 100 hours of equine vet shadowing, and ~20 hours of chicken experience on my application, and I got into UCVM on my first try :laugh: UCVM tends to look a little bit less at the volunteer stuff though, so that probably helped! You'll be fine :)

Hey guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCVM next year and my 4 term GPA is okay (3.9) but my 10 course GPA is only a 3.1. I know that they look at your 4 Term GPA as a cut-off to get an interview, so I was wondering for the 10 course GPA if you just have to be above 3.0 and then they don't look at it anymore or if they actually take it into consideration when they make you an offer of admission. I'm really worried I don't have a chance because of my 10 course GPA ):

Hey guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCVM next year and my 4 term GPA is okay (3.9) but my 10 course GPA is only a 3.1. I know that they look at your 4 Term GPA as a cut-off to get an interview, so I was wondering for the 10 course GPA if you just have to be above 3.0 and then they don't look at it anymore or if they actually take it into consideration when they make you an offer of admission. I'm really worried I don't have a chance because of my 10 course GPA ):

Hey, as long as your 10 course GPA is over 3.0, it is my understanding that they essentially don't look at it anymore when considering you for admission. They used to consider it but it changed a couple years ago :) Also your 4 term GPA is more than okay :laugh:

Does anyone know when interview offers will be sent out? I'm thinking about it more and more everyday! I'm a WCVM applicant :)

Does anyone know when interview offers will be sent out? I'm thinking about it more and more everyday! I'm a WCVM applicant :)
Usually 1st round interviews come out at the end of March, and 2nd round set comes out in the beginning of May. You can look at these threads from past years to find the specific dates they've come out on in the past.

Usually 1st round interviews come out at the end of March, and 2nd round set comes out in the beginning of May. You can look at these threads from past years to find the specific dates they've come out on in the past.

Thank you so much! You're very helpful :). Does anyone have any tips about preparing for the interview? I heard a possible question asks about world issues/topics. I'm assuming this is an open ended question.

@michaelclangelo I would strongly recommend practicing with a friend for your interview. You can look in old threads and online to find tons of questions that are commonly asked. I also found it very helpful to read some of the position statements on the CVMA website and become educated about what the CVMA actually does.

For the WCVM, they tend to break the interview down into three sections: about you, world issues/current events, and your knowledge of animals and the veterinary profession. Some of the questions they asked were very open, others were extremely specific.

I believe it was March 22nd last year that first round interviews started coming out, and May 17th for second round! It obviously could vary, but it'll probably be around those dates this year as well! :)

Just curious... was there anyone who agreed to be part of the new pilot program at WCVM?? Wondering if it had a lot of interest or not.

Just curious... was there anyone who agreed to be part of the new pilot program at WCVM?? Wondering if it had a lot of interest or not.
I definitely said no. The debt to income ratio is unsustainable in my opinion!

Reactions: 4 users