This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCVM next year and my 4 term GPA is okay (3.9) but my 10 course GPA is only a 3.1. I know that they look at your 4 Term GPA as a cut-off to get an interview, so I was wondering for the 10 course GPA if you just have to be above 3.0 and then they don't look at it anymore or if they actually take it into consideration when they make you an offer of admission. I'm really worried I don't have a chance because of my 10 course GPA ):

Hello! Take a look at this: https://vet.ucalgary.ca/files/vet/ucvm-admissions-review-of-2017-2018-cycle.pdf
So they only consider your 4 term GPA, your MMI score, essay score, and references after you've passed the cut-off for the 10 course GPA (thank god) which I don't remember but the range says 3.0-4.0 (which is last year's but I think cut-off is 3.0). :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! You're very helpful :). Does anyone have any tips about preparing for the interview? I heard a possible question asks about world issues/topics. I'm assuming this is an open ended question.

Hello! Forgive me if this is somewhere on your profile but are you from Alberta? If so, University of Alberta does mock MMI interviews for both students and non-students for a fee. :) And there are plenty of links online that surprisingly have questions that are EXTREMELY similar to the ones asked in the interviews so just a matter of searching for them and practice, practice, PRACTICE! (make sure to do it out loud and video tape yourself if possible!).

Hello! Forgive me if this is somewhere on your profile but are you from Alberta? If so, University of Alberta does mock MMI interviews for both students and non-students for a fee. :) And there are plenty of links online that surprisingly have questions that are EXTREMELY similar to the ones asked in the interviews so just a matter of searching for them and practice, practice, PRACTICE! (make sure to do it out loud and video tape yourself if possible!).

Hey! I'm from Manitoba. I will definitely be practicing with friends soon which should be a wonderful way to practice. Video taping sounds like a great idea! I will definitely be trying that out too. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey! I was just wondering, how early did you start practicing for your MMI?

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how the WCVM calculates the percentage average if you have retaken a class? Do they take the average or just replace the grade? I retook some prereqs but at a different school than I initially took them, so I don't know which grade they use to calculate my grade percentage!

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how the WCVM calculates the percentage average if you have retaken a class? Do they take the average or just replace the grade? I retook some prereqs but at a different school than I initially took them, so I don't know which grade they use to calculate my grade percentage!
Unless they’ve changed things this year, they just treat it like any other course (so it would be averaged). You can email Heather or Shauna to confirm that.

Editing to add that when I say "averaged", I mean that in the situation where you scored lets say a 70 on your attempt one in a 3 credit course, if you scored 90 on your second attempt you would receive in your calculation 70 for 3 credits and 90 for 3 credits, which would average out to 80 over 6 credits. (So not 80 counting for 3 credits).

Last edited:
Hey! I was just wondering, how early did you start practicing for your MMI?
Hi @Rooney_11! This isn't my first time applying. My first time I completely underestimated it and basically walked into the interviews knowing only some current events and a few questions in the back of my mind from interviews I've had before (not vet school). But after I've been through the process I can tell how much practice will help, so I started early this year and have been practicing since July-ish :)

Hi @Rooney_11! This isn't my first time applying. My first time I completely underestimated it and basically walked into the interviews knowing only some current events and a few questions in the back of my mind from interviews I've had before (not vet school). But after I've been through the process I can tell how much practice will help, so I started early this year and have been practicing since July-ish :)

Thanks so much! Good luck on your interview this year!! :)

Hey! Does anyone know if you can chose you interview date (from given options) or if it set for you? Obviously I’m aware that interview invites have not gone out yet, and I may not even get one, I’m just trying to plan my life accordingly. From what I understand from past years, interviews tend to be in the second week of May. I have an opportunity to volunteer with a spay and neuter task force in May, and I’m worried the dates may overlap with potential interview days. Guess I’m just wondering if I was to get an interview, could I potentially chose a day that works best for me, or is it just assigned?

Oh, I’m a BC student applying to WCVM

Hey! Does anyone know if you can chose you interview date (from given options) or if it set for you? Obviously I’m aware that interview invites have not gone out yet, and I may not even get one, I’m just trying to plan my life accordingly. From what I understand from past years, interviews tend to be in the second week of May. I have an opportunity to volunteer with a spay and neuter task force in May, and I’m worried the dates may overlap with potential interview days. Guess I’m just wondering if I was to get an interview, could I potentially chose a day that works best for me, or is it just assigned?

When I got my offer they told me interview dates and asked if there was any that I would not be able to make it to, and they would try to work around that. However you certainly don’t get to choose; they email you a time and date once everyone lets them know availability. :)

If you check on your WCVM portal it now says the dates for interviews depending on where you have them! For BC applicants I believe it is May 1-2 in Saskatoon and May 6-9 in Maple Ridge for first rounds, and May 27-28 in Saskatoon for second rounds.

As for choosing a date, although you can't necessarily pick a day they are very flexible. Last year I could only take it on one of the dates provided at a specific time and they were able to make that happen for me. You never know when you ask! :p

If you check on your WCVM portal it now says the dates for interviews depending on where you have them! For BC applicants I believe it is May 1-2 in Saskatoon and May 6-9 in Maple Ridge for first rounds, and May 27-28 in Saskatoon for second rounds.

As for choosing a date, although you can't necessarily pick a day they are very flexible. Last year I could only take it on one of the dates provided at a specific time and they were able to make that happen for me. You never know when you ask! :p

Ah excellent! There’s only an overlap of one day so I should be able to make it work (assuming I get an interview of course )

Thanks!

I definitely said no. The debt to income ratio is unsustainable in my opinion!
This would apply to all US applicants that going to veterinary school out of state or Caribbean schools, wouldn’t it?

Members don't see this ad :)
This would apply to all US applicants that going to veterinary school out of state or Caribbean schools, wouldn’t it?
Absolutely. I personally would not be in veterinary school if I was paying those fees, and I know multiple of my classmates feel the same way. There is lots of conversation on the debt situation in American students on these forums, since most members are from the US.

Has anyone heard from UCVM? They MMI invitations were supposed to be sent out today and I didn’t get any email not even a you didn’t get an interview.

I didn't either!! I thought it was just me because I didn't get one but I thought they were supposed to send out no's too? Nice to know that you guys didn't either!

I feel like something is going on with them this year because they also won't answer their phone or emails! I've left them quite a few messages with just some basic questions and I'm getting more nervous every day!

I feel like something is going on with them this year because they also won't answer their phone or emails! I've left them quite a few messages with just some basic questions and I'm getting more nervous every day!

Keep in mind they are probably receiving a huge influx of emails and phone calls at this time. :) I know how tough the waiting game is! Hopefully you will have some good news soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind they are probably receiving a huge influx of emails and phone calls at this time. :) I know how tough the waiting game is! Hopefully you will have some good news soon!

That's true! Thanks! :D

That's great, congratulations!! This waiting game is agony! ;)

Congrats, guys! I still haven't gotten one, so should I assume that's a no? I thought they would send no emails out too?

Congrats, guys! I still haven't gotten one, so should I assume that's a no? I thought they would send no emails out too?

Dont lose hope yet. As far as I remember from my million times applying, people get their offers at different times. I messed up my application last year and got my rejection at 1 am the morning after the supposed send out date.

Dont lose hope yet. As far as I remember from my million times applying, people get their offers at different times. I messed up my application last year and got my rejection at 1 am the morning after the supposed send out date.

Okay, thanks! If you don't mind me asking, how did it get messed up? Didn't they call or email you to let you know there was a problem with it after you submitted it?

Hi guys! I got my interview acceptance from UCVM and I am wondering if any of you have previously participated in the UCVM MMI and have some tips or potentially practice questions for me to review? Also, I am wondering if there are questions like "whats your greatest fear" etc. that you typically see in a panel type interview that I should be preparing for.

Okay, thanks! If you don't mind me asking, how did it get messed up? Didn't they call or email you to let you know there was a problem with it after you submitted it?

No I was never notified. UCVM does not notify you if you mess something up. I dont think I'll share what I messed up because I haven't been on UCVMs good side since I originally applied (another story altogether) and as much as I like to think that there is nothing that goes on behind the scenes, I cant be sure.

Sorry!

Hi guys! I got my interview acceptance from UCVM and I am wondering if any of you have previously participated in the UCVM MMI and have some tips or potentially practice questions for me to review? Also, I am wondering if there are questions like "whats your greatest fear" etc. that you typically see in a panel type interview that I should be preparing for.

Generally out of the 10 or so stations, 0 to 1 will test your knowledge on veterinary medicine. There's generally one acting station, and the rest are all about what you would do in various corporate situations etc. So it's really not related to veterinary medicine at all.

They are typically only MMI questions, so no panel type questions. However they have been playing with the style of MMI interview for the last few years, so they might start to include those types of questions! I would have a “stock answer” for the most common panel questions just in case :)

No I was never notified. UCVM does not notify you if you mess something up. I dont think I'll share what I messed up because I haven't been on UCVMs good side since I originally applied (another story altogether) and as much as I like to think that there is nothing that goes on behind the scenes, I cant be sure.

Sorry!

This seems weird to me... how many times have you applied? I can't see UCVM holding a grudge for multiple cycles... maybe there's something else going on with your application?

This seems weird to me... how many times have you applied? I can't see UCVM holding a grudge for multiple cycles... maybe there's something else going on with your application?

I have applied 4 times. I really can see that unfortunately. Everyone I've talked to said the person that I upset is very likely to hold grudges, and many have said that I am probably blacklisted. On top of that I have heard of some very shady stuff that goes on, that makes me uneasy. But hey, I go where I get accepted so I guess I'd need to look past it.

I have applied 4 times. I really can see that unfortunately. Everyone I've talked to said the person that I upset is very likely to hold grudges, and many have said that I am probably blacklisted. On top of that I have heard of some very shady stuff that goes on, that makes me uneasy. But hey, I go where I get accepted so I guess I'd need to look past it.

Could you PM me who it was, if you're comfortable with that? There's been some large changes in the admissions faculty so that person might not be involved anymore. I haven't heard of anything shady going on with admissions, but maybe I've just missed it.

Could you PM me who it was, if you're comfortable with that? There's been some large changes in the admissions faculty so that person might not be involved anymore. I haven't heard of anything shady going on with admissions, but maybe I've just missed it.

Sorry I'm a complete noob, and don't know how to PM. But yeah they're no longer there, so I am hoping that this year I should be good. I'm glad you've not heard anything shady, but not the case for me!

Sorry I'm a complete noob, and don't know how to PM. But yeah they're no longer there, so I am hoping that this year I should be good. I'm glad you've not heard anything shady, but not the case for me!

Haha that's okay! I think I know who you're talking about then. I'm a bit curious about the shady stuff you've heard but probably not best to air that on a public forum lol

I had some questions about the application way back when and no one ever got back to me via phone or email (I left so many messages and sent so many emails) so I'm worried now that if I made any mistakes, they just didn't tell me. I'm really curious about the application issue too, but I understand if you don't want to share it here. I'm not sure how to PM either!

For those interviewing at UCVM, does anyone know where they’ll leave their phone and wallet? Im not from Edmonton and will likely take an uber in the morning and after the interviews so need my phone in the vicinity. Hoping someone can help a sista out and let me leave my belongings with them Also, can anyone shed more light on who qualifies as a “personal reference”? Aside from being a non relative, can it be a friend who can attest to my passion for the profession? I unfortunately dont have much experience aside from shadowing one vet so lacking people who have seen me working directly with animals. Thanks!

For those interviewing at UCVM, does anyone know where they’ll leave their phone and wallet? Im not from Edmonton and will likely take an uber in the morning and after the interviews so need my phone in the vicinity. Hoping someone can help a sista out and let me leave my belongings with them Also, can anyone shed more light on who qualifies as a “personal reference”? Aside from being a non relative, can it be a friend who can attest to my passion for the profession? I unfortunately dont have much experience aside from shadowing one vet so lacking people who have seen me working directly with animals. Thanks!

In previous years there has been a couple of vet students you can leave your phone with, but not sure if they are still doing this! Other belongings can get left in "base camp" room you return to between the interview and the essay. Also I think you meant Calgary, don't go to Edmonton for your interview :laugh:

My personal reference was the medic that worked at the horse shows I competed at, who I had a very good relationship after he picked me out of the dirt a few too many times :laugh: Really I think they can be anyone that you think will give you a strong reference.

In previous years there has been a couple of vet students you can leave your phone with, but not sure if they are still doing this! Other belongings can get left in "base camp" room you return to between the interview and the essay. Also I think you meant Calgary, don't go to Edmonton for your interview :laugh:

My personal reference was the medic that worked at the horse shows I competed at, who I had a very good relationship after he picked me out of the dirt a few too many times :laugh: Really I think they can be anyone that you think will give you a strong reference.
Hahah my bad i meant Calgary! Thats what i get for posting at 1:39 am lol. Would you say that I’d be okay with bringing it along and asking the people at the check in desk to place the phone somewhere? Also, as we have to be there at 7:30 and interviews dont start till 9am, is there just talks and introductions for the 1.5 hours? Do they go over rules of the mmi stations cuz i have a few questions about how it works. Thank you for taking your time to guide us! :)

Hahah my bad i meant Calgary! Thats what i get for posting at 1:39 am lol. Would you say that I’d be okay with bringing it along and asking the people at the check in desk to place the phone somewhere? Also, as we have to be there at 7:30 and interviews dont start till 9am, is there just talks and introductions for the 1.5 hours? Do they go over rules of the mmi stations cuz i have a few questions about how it works. Thank you for taking your time to guide us! :)

If I remember correctly from when I did it, the early arrival is for registration, making sure you know what you're doing, and a pre-interview session where they explain exactly how it works and how to go through the process.

The most important part about your phone is making sure you 100% absolutely do not have it on you during the interview process itself. That is a real fast way to end your application cycle. If there is no way you can leave your phone at home or where you are staying (best an easiest option), then ask openly right when you register about where you can leave your phone and explain that you needed it to arrange transportation. I think the biggest thing is being upfront about it and not trying to just sneakily hide it or anything.

Re: personal references. I used an old boss/mentor. He owned a boarding kennel, so it was "animal experience" but I think that they don't really care much as long as it's someone who can vouch for your character.

Congrats everyone on getting interviews by the way! If you come for a tour of CSB, Nessie and I are giving the tour for the morning interviewees!

Reactions: 1 users
If I remember correctly from when I did it, the early arrival is for registration, making sure you know what you're doing, and a pre-interview session where they explain exactly how it works and how to go through the process.

The most important part about your phone is making sure you 100% absolutely do not have it on you during the interview process itself. That is a real fast way to end your application cycle. If there is no way you can leave your phone at home or where you are staying (best an easiest option), then ask openly right when you register about where you can leave your phone and explain that you needed it to arrange transportation. I think the biggest thing is being upfront about it and not trying to just sneakily hide it or anything.

Re: personal references. I used an old boss/mentor. He owned a boarding kennel, so it was "animal experience" but I think that they don't really care much as long as it's someone who can vouch for your character.

Congrats everyone on getting interviews by the way! If you come for a tour of CSB, Nessie and I are giving the tour for the morning interviewees!
Okay i will be sure to let them know at the start! Thank you, and see you at CSB tour :)

Does anyone know if we get a buzzer indicating if we have one minute or so left for the UCVM MMI stations? Or is it just a final buzzer indicating time is up? Also, does the buzzer for the next station start right away or do they give us some time to get to the next station? Sorry i am clearly a noob haha

Does anyone know if we get a buzzer indicating if we have one minute or so left for the UCVM MMI stations? Or is it just a final buzzer indicating time is up? Also, does the buzzer for the next station start right away or do they give us some time to get to the next station? Sorry i am clearly a noob haha

I believe they use the "you have one minute remaining" voice over that if you get into UCVM will haunt you for the rest of your days... they use it for the OSCEs as well :laugh: I think you also have one minute to rotate to the next station and you can start reading as soon as you get there, but I may be confusing that with our OSCE setup. They'll explain it all on the day of though :)

no worries for concerns! I'm going to be one of the current first years helping you guys (come find me at the registration table if you want!). There will be this very calm voice telling you about timing (this will absolutely stop being calming by the time you get OSCEs as nessity stated ;) ) , if i remember there was a clock in the room when i interviewed, and the buzzer states movement and it will let you know (you usually start with your back to the prompt and then once the voice tells you you have time to read the prompt and then go in). They also make it ABUNDANTLY clear and feel free to ask questions :) We're all here to help!

also if i remember correctly i personally left my phone in my luggage case at the place i was staying, but those who had their phone gave it in to the group leaders of the session. Just make it abundantly clear you do not have it on you for any process of the actual interview :)

Last edited:
no worries for concerns! I'm going to be one of the current first years helping you guys (come find me at the registration table if you want!). There will be this very calm voice telling you about timing (this will absolutely stop being calming by the time you get OSCEs as nessity stated ;) ) , if i remember there was a clock in the room when i interviewed, and the buzzer states movement and it will let you know (you usually start with your back to the prompt and then once the voice tells you you have time to read the prompt and then go in). They also make it ABUNDANTLY clear and feel free to ask questions :) We're all here to help!

also if i remember correctly i personally left my phone in my luggage case at the place i was staying, but those who had their phone gave it in to the group leaders of the session. Just make it abundantly clear you do not have it on you for any process of the actual interview :)
I believe they use the "you have one minute remaining" voice over that if you get into UCVM will haunt you for the rest of your days... they use it for the OSCEs as well :laugh: I think you also have one minute to rotate to the next station and you can start reading as soon as you get there, but I may be confusing that with our OSCE setup. They'll explain it all on the day of though :)
Thank you both so much! I’ve been practicing for the mmi and didnt know whether i should be worried about gauging how much time i have left! Glad to hear that they allot some time for you to get to the next station. Do they provide any follow up questions or do you sit in silence until time is up? I’ve been practising mmis with med kids and they dont get penalized for using prompts. Wonder if vet is similar. And lol i hope my interview goes well so one day, i too can complaing about the OSCEs

Also looking forward to meeting you Saturday morning! :)