-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western c/o 2020
Started by battie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Alternate
Alternate :/
Me too. Alternate seems to just be the trend for me this year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No probably not
Congratulations!Got accepted!!! Yay yay
![]()
Ok good to know I can take the time to think and not potentially hinder othersNo probably not
Just got my acceptance letter while I was driving had to pull over because I couldn't believe it!
Congrats to everyone else who got accepted and vitural hugs to everyone else.
Congrats to everyone else who got accepted and vitural hugs to everyone else.
did anyone else's letter say you've been accepted into the class of 2019 Lol
I haven't!!Has anyone else still not heard?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did anyone else's letter say you've been accepted into the class of 2019 Lol
yes, apparently we get to skip a year

To all whom were rejected, placed as alternates, or still haven't heard: I know its better said than done but try to keep your hopes up and come up with a back up plan.DO NOT let this kill your dreams PLEASE. This was my first school i was accepted to, rejected from 4 others in the past few weeks so my spirits were incredibly damaged but i forced myself to come up with a different plan to achieve my goals if i didnt get accepted anywhere else. Please think about doing the same and know that there may be a few of us, including me, who will not attend this school for a variety of reasons. Feel free to private message me if you want. I know these past few weeks have been so so difficult for me and I didnt think i had anyone to talk to who wouldnt think i was a whining baby. Id be happy to listen, non-judgmentally 🙂 

Accepted and so relieved!!
Yes! loldid anyone else's letter say you've been accepted into the class of 2019 Lol
For what it's worth, I got off the alternate list last year around April - It seems to move pretty well.Alternate for me. 🙁 kinda bummed since I'm from CA and have already been rejected from Davis too. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!
Thanks, that makes me feel better! I can't imagine waiting until April though. It's so far from now! 😕For what it's worth, I got off the alternate list last year around April - It seems to move pretty well.
did anyone else's letter say you've been accepted into the class of 2019 Lol
The Davis interview invite said "for the class of 2012" if I remember correctly. So you guys will skip a year and Davis's class will time travel.
Actually... it was in May... I know that does sound like forever - but it did happen!Thanks, that makes me feel better! I can't imagine waiting until April though. It's so far from now! 😕
Alternate 🙁
My friend from CA was alternate last year & got accepted later on! She went somewhere else though. Hanging there...Alternate for me. 🙁 kinda bummed since I'm from CA and have already been rejected from Davis too. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!
Thank you🙂Congratulations!
So I just "accepted" my spot on the alternate list but now I'm panicking. That wasn't like committing to the school somehow was it? Because I am still waiting to hear back from other schools and don't want this potentially to ruin my chances. I just wanted Western to know that I am still interested.
No. Even if you get accepted after being on the waitlist you still have the option to deny. It's just saying you're still interested basically.So I just "accepted" my spot on the alternate list but now I'm panicking. That wasn't like committing to the school somehow was it? Because I am still waiting to hear back from other schools and don't want this potentially to ruin my chances. I just wanted Western to know that I am still interested.
no other schools will not see thatOk, so it's not like the other schools I applied to can see that and take it as a bad thing?
Sorry, I've been creeping for a while but just recently actually made an account here so please excuse my confusion on the process.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no other schools will not see thatOk, so it's not like the other schools I applied to can see that and take it as a bad thing?
Sorry, I've been creeping for a while but just recently actually made an account here so please excuse my confusion on the process.
Have to ask. I read in a previous year's forum that the dean chooses applicants (from interviewees that the interviewers liked) based on something like "diversity factors" - such as geography, ethnicity and interests. Is this true, does anyone know? For example, I kinda figured after reading that comment that I was out of luck (or destined to be an alternate, which I am), as I'm a white female California resident interested predominantly in SA medicine, despite feeling/knowing my interview went well...
Last edited:
Have to ask. I read in a previous year's forum that the dean chooses applicants (from interviewees that the interviewers liked) based on something like "diversity factors" - such as geography, ethnicity and interests. Is this true, does anyone know? For example, I kinda figured after reading that comment that I was out of luck (or destined to be an alternate, which I am), as I'm a white female California resident interested predominantly in SA medicine, despite feeling/knowing my interview went well...
Hmm... I never knew this. I would be in the same boat then if this were true....
Last edited:
Hmm... I never knew this. I would be in the same boat then if this were true....
I'll be sure to look again tomorrow at past forums to be sure. But I'm almost certain that was the case last year. I didn't read it until I was on the way from LAX to my interview at Western this year... then I was like, "goddammit".
I really hope this isn't true only because I want to prove to the vets/professors that have told me I would have to work harder or make myself "unique" in order to stand out in the vet field wrongI'll be sure to look again tomorrow at past forums to be sure. But I'm almost certain that was the case last year. I didn't read it until I was on the way from LAX to my interview at Western this year... then I was like, "goddammit".
Alternate - feeling very discouraged right now. I thought interview went well... And feel my stats are really good. I have some interviews coming up, but definitely feeling my dream might be slipping away....
Same exact thing happened to me. Still haven't gotten the email and I just checked the online portal and my status is blankSo disappointed. I expected to know by now. Has anyone still not received an email? I was one of the people who received an "accidental" denial letter last month. I emailed them but everyone will be on winter break until January 4th!
Same exact thing happened to me. Still haven't gotten the email and I just checked the online portal and my status is blank
Where can I find the online portal?
https://banapps.westernu.edu:4443/pls/live8/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNonWhere can I find the online portal?
Same for me too! I feel like after accidentally getting a rejection letter, notifying us should be top priority.Same exact thing happened to me. Still haven't gotten the email and I just checked the online portal and my status is blank
Same for me too! I feel like after accidentally getting a rejection letter, notifying us should be top priority.
I agree. Was anyone who received an accidental denial letter notified yesterday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm not entirely sure how the dean picks candidates in regards to diversity or background or anything like that but I'm a 28 year old, white female from California interested in small animal veterinary education (I want to teach), but I can tell you what I think helped me in this situation (despite not helping me with the 4 other schools I was rejected from) was my resume. I'm an older applicant obviously and have a ridiculous amount of work/life/volunteer experience including 12 years of business managment and co-founding a non profit org. I know my stats were right about on par with last years entering class so I can assume my resume or what I said in my interview set me apart. I also think I had an advantage in my interview because of my business background (there's no interview question I haven't been asked or asked). But it's so hard to pinpoint what each school wants. I was top tier (cum GPA) for Washington for example and still got rejected despite that and my resume. So it's super difficult to tell. I thought my resume would have saved my butt at all schools but I've still been rejected from half that I applied to. So I don't know really but maybe that gives you a bit of insight? I know it's difficult to set yourself apart intentionally because we all have that same mission. I've been to two pre-health conferences and one thing multiple schools said including Cornell and Kansas State was that they were looking for individuals whom not only have a passion for animals but also for people and demonstrate this through community outreach. So, if you plan on applying another cycle, consider partaking in community service. Every animal has a human attached and it's important to acknowledge that also. Maybe that will help 🙂
Hi all I just wanted to offer some hope to those on the alternate list. I was an alternate last year and was officially accepted end of April/beginning of May. I have also talked to several people from my class who were alternates as well so don't fret!! The list does move. That being said some years it moves more than others but please don't think that being an alternate takes you out of the running because it definitely does not. Also, don't think that being an alternate means that they didn't like you or your interview went bad...if that was the case you most likely would have been rejected. Being an alternate simply means that you are very qualified, your interview went well but unfortunately there are a lot of people who are qualified and they only have 105 seats in the class. Also, keep in mind that although Western is a great school and I love it here it is expensive so many people turn it down for a cheaper, in state option. So please don't give up hope because you are an alternate...I know it sucks to be in limbo...but it definitely does not mean you won't be accepted on a later date. Hope this helps!!
I really hope this isn't true only because I want to prove to the vets/professors that have told me I would have to work harder or make myself "unique" in order to stand out in the vet field wrong(they referred to me as a "stereotypical" person (white, female, SA interest) who is trying to enter the vet field). I didn't want to believe what they were saying at the time, and I still don't (or at least, I don't want to believe it) because I assumed that everyone was in the same boat. As in, everyone has worked hard up to this point and I'm sure all of us try to stand out in our own way, whether that's grades, experience, etc. I think the fact is that there are many competitive applicants and it's just hard to choose between candidates that have similar stats/experiences/etc, so schools may end up considering applicants based on their background and diversity, or what they say during interviews, as a weighing factor in their decisions since they have no other way of distinguishing some applicants from others. That's just my opinion though....
I'm in complete agreement with you, as I've been told that my whole life as well - "White female interested in small animal med? Good luck..." I do think for most schools they end up considering applicants based on diversity factors when they're faced with so many applicants with similar grades, experiences etc, as you said. I just hope that it isn't a large deciding factor from the start, which was sort of the impression I got about Western's decision process. Hopefully that's wrong. It does make sense, though, for Western to choose applicants from different parts of the country other than CA, as they're a new school, they're private, and they would like to have veterinarians graduate and then practice all over the country. My main concern with Western was that I felt I was potentially at a disadvantage mostly because I live in CA... And then being "stereotypical" probably didn't help a whole lot either. Fingers crossed for Davis, I guess.

So I'm not entirely sure how the dean picks candidates in regards to diversity or background or anything like that but I'm a 28 year old, white female from California interested in small animal veterinary education (I want to teach), but I can tell you what I think helped me in this situation (despite not helping me with the 4 other schools I was rejected from) was my resume. I'm an older applicant obviously and have a ridiculous amount of work/life/volunteer experience including 12 years of business managment and co-founding a non profit org. I know my stats were right about on par with last years entering class so I can assume my resume or what I said in my interview set me apart. I also think I had an advantage in my interview because of my business background (there's no interview question I haven't been asked or asked). But it's so hard to pinpoint what each school wants. I was top tier (cum GPA) for Washington for example and still got rejected despite that and my resume. So it's super difficult to tell. I thought my resume would have saved my butt at all schools but I've still been rejected from half that I applied to. So I don't know really but maybe that gives you a bit of insight? I know it's difficult to set yourself apart intentionally because we all have that same mission. I've been to two pre-health conferences and one thing multiple schools said including Cornell and Kansas State was that they were looking for individuals whom not only have a passion for animals but also for people and demonstrate this through community outreach. So, if you plan on applying another cycle, consider partaking in community service. Every animal has a human attached and it's important to acknowledge that also. Maybe that will help 🙂
The theme of my PS was basically serving my community through vet med, helping underserved communities care for their pets, and being motivated by the One Health initiative. Also an older applicant, also have an extensive business/management background, and I have many hours, nearly 1000, of community service experience along with my 3000+ veterinary and 4000+ animal. I'm sure my interest in helping my community got me an interview at Kansas this year, as they do really emphasize that. My grades were decent enough to get me an interview at Davis. Also top tier for Washington and its the only school I've so far been officially rejected by. I guess I'm just a bit baffled by Western. Oh well. :/
Also, I tend to rant/ramble on forums. So just to clarify, I have no grudge against Western and I'm super happy for everyone who did get in! You've all worked so hard and should all be proud of yourselves too!! And it does seem that the alternates frequently move into acceptances so everyone who is an alternate, including myself, should also be pretty proud! 

Got accepted!!! Yay yay