Western c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was placed on the alternate list which I know now won’t even be touched. I’m very disappointed in this school. I think more applicants should be made aware of this issue and really consider the morals and ethics of this school. I was not aware of the over acceptance issue that happened last year until after I interviewed at the school this year.
I was fortunate to be accepted to other DVM programs this year and I have accepted elsewhere.
I am truly sorry for those who are on the accepted waitlist as well as in the alternate pool this year. This really breaks my heart. I hope the AVMA can take a deeper look at this problem and find a solution.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Are you serious? They over-accepted students AGAIN?

I'm disappointed and sadden for those that were deferred... I'll be contacting admissions until I get answers. I don't believe they've disclosed last year's over-acceptance when I had my interview. I truly hoped it wouldn't happen again this year.

At this point, I don't care if I get off the wait-list or not. WesternU was appealing because I thought their program was an innovative approach to preparing future veterinarians... but all I see is an unethical, money-hungry school.

Reactions: 9 users
It’s been a week. Has anyone received an update at all?
I’ve just been getting notification about my position on the “accepted” waitlist. But I’ve also got into contact with multiple people at the AAVMC. They are looking into it.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The process of getting into vet school is already hard enough! Over-accepting candidates and then not even offering deferment is absolutely ridiculous! I’m so frustrated with this entire process. I was waitlisted and that means absolutely nothing. But it’s so much worse for those who were already accepted. You should be able to have time to figure out which school is best for you long term, especially when it’s such an investment! I am so disappointed with western’s admin team. They already saw this happen once, the obvious solution was to give out a lot less offers and then move to the waitlist, because well THATS WHAT THE WAITLIST IS FOR!!!

Reactions: 6 users
The process of getting into vet school is already hard enough! Over-accepting candidates and then not even offering deferment is absolutely ridiculous! I’m so frustrated with this entire process. I was waitlisted and that means absolutely nothing. But it’s so much worse for those who were already accepted. You should be able to have time to figure out which school is best for you long term, especially when it’s such an investment! I am so disappointed with western’s admin team. They already saw this happen once, the obvious solution was to give out a lot less offers and then move to the waitlist, because well THATS WHAT THE WAITLIST IS FOR!!!
They at first said deferment was an option if you remained on the “accepted” waitlist then they changed and said it was only at the “discretion of the dean”. So who knows exactly what is the truth

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
They at first said deferment was an option if you remained on the “accepted” waitlist then they changed and said it was only at the “discretion of the dean”. So who knows exactly what is the truth
Man, you’d think that this school just opened last year with the way things are getting messed up. Not 20 years ago. How hard is it to say, regardless of the number of applicants, “this is how many acceptances we’ll send out. This is how many waitlist positions we’ll have.”

Reactions: 2 users
Man, you’d think that this school just opened last year with the way things are getting messed up. Not 20 years ago. How hard is it to say, regardless of the number of applicants, “this is how many acceptances we’ll send out. This is how many waitlist positions we’ll have.”
They told us at my interview day that there were 110 seats but 5 were reserved for the previous years deferments. They even said in the acceptance letter that seats were on a first come, first served basis. And we should aim to pay our deposit early. However, they also said that the deadline was April 15th. I made it a point to email the director of admissions and say that if they wanted deposits paid right when we were accepted and if we didn’t our seat wouldn’t be ours, but she replied with this was the practice at all schools who require written acceptance and a deposit to “secure” a seat. I’m just over it at this point and eager to see what the AAVMC says.

They told us at my interview day that there were 110 seats but 5 were reserved for the previous years deferments. They even said in the acceptance letter that seats were on a first come, first served basis. And we should aim to pay our deposit early. However, they also said that the deadline was April 15th. I made it a point to email the director of admissions and say that if they wanted deposits paid right when we were accepted and if we didn’t our seat wouldn’t be ours, but she replied with this was the practice at all schools who require written acceptance and a deposit to “secure” a seat. I’m just over it at this point and eager to see what the AAVMC says.
I’m very concerned that the AAVMC will do nothing. They did absolutely nothing last year and disregarded all evidence that Western was in the wrong. I hope they prove me wrong this year. We’ll see.

Also, I’ve never heard of a single school saying that acceptances were on a first come first served basis. You send out the number of acceptances you need to fill the class, sometimes a little more, then you wait to hear back. Once you dip below what you need, you pull from the waitlist. That’s how it’s done literally everywhere. That’s how it’s always been done. I’m not sure if Western is trying to reinvent the wheel here with their admissions procedure, but they’re doing a pretty bad job of it and no school has ever done this. They’ve over-accepted, but never handled it this poorly.

Reactions: 9 users

That “practice” of first come-first serve is exactly why the April 15th deadline exists and is a direct violation of that policy. If they’re going to lie, they should do better research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
That “practice” of first come-first serve is exactly why the April 15th deadline exists and is a direct violation of that policy. If they’re going to lie, they should do better research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is the "first come first serve basis" should only apply to schools that explicitly indicate that they are rolling admissions or practice a similar process. What is the point of a deadline in April if everyone accepts their spots beforehand (in the case of non-rolling admissions). I was accepted to midwestern and immediately put down a deposit because I knew they had a similar process to rolling admissions where they offered interviews in waves rather than a specific interview week. I wanted to secure my spot as well. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe Western had this type of operation. ALSO, Western even ADDED another interview day which honestly sounds like it made the issue even worse with having more applicants accepted/waitlisted.

The thing is the "first come first serve basis" should only apply to schools that explicitly indicate that they are rolling admissions or practice a similar process. What is the point of a deadline in April if everyone accepts their spots beforehand (in the case of non-rolling admissions). I was accepted to midwestern and immediately put down a deposit because I knew they had a similar process to rolling admissions where they offered interviews in waves rather than a specific interview week. I wanted to secure my spot as well. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe Western had this type of operation. ALSO, Western even ADDED another interview day which honestly sounds like it made the issue even worse with having more applicants accepted/waitlisted.
No Western did not have this type of operation we had “interview” days.

Reactions: 1 user
The thing is the "first come first serve basis" should only apply to schools that explicitly indicate that they are rolling admissions or practice a similar process. I was accepted to midwestern and immediately put down a deposit because I knew they had a similar process to rolling admissions where they offered interviews in waves rather than a specific interview week. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe Western had this type of operation. ALSO, Western even ADDED another interview day which honestly sounds like it made the issue even worse with having more applicants accepted/waitlisted.

Even if it does have rolling admissions, any school that is AVMA accredited must abide by those policies for the associated class. So any school that starts in the fall; Ross (for example) does rolling admissions but for their Fall classes, they must abide by the April 15th deadline

This makes me upset because Western is the only school that is doing this. Its simply not true that other schools are doing the same (not including those with rolling admission...and indicate that clearly). I was extremely fortunate and got accepted elsewhere but during this process I called other vet schools and all of them but western assured me that if I was offered a seat that offer would be honored until the april 15th deadline....not first come, first serve. It's not right.
Not to mention, the admissions director (Karen Hutton-Lopez) SPECIFICALLY said last year during interviews that students are allowed to wait up until the April 15th deadline, and any school who tries to tell you to submit before then is guilty of coercion and should be reported to the AAVMC. And this was the only school I heard telling the applicants this. Seriously, the director of admissions for the only school guilty of doing this specifically told students to report this to the AAVMC if a school does this. I mean, come on.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I cannot believe this happened again! I’m so sorry for y’all affected by this nonsense, and I hope there are consequences from the AAVMC.

Wait, what?

Hypothetically, let’s say that someone received an offer of admission to Western, but didn’t submit their deposit right away for whatever reason (maybe they were waiting to hear back from other schools, maybe they just didn’t have the money saved up because lord knows everything involved with vet school—including applications—has to be exorbitantly expensive for whatever stupid reason, maybe they were crunching the tuition numbers before finalizing the decision, or maybe they were waiting to figure out other aspects of life first... it doesn’t even matter why they hold off, really, and it’s no one’s business), and were then subsequently placed on the “accepted waitlist”. Unfortunately, this person doesn’t make it off of that list and into the c/o 2024.

Even if this person were to appeal for deferral and entry to the c/o 2025 next year, that might not even necessarily be granted since it’s at the dean’s discretion? Despite them actually being accepted outright in the first place? It’s not like they were waitlisted at the offset; they were admitted. They earned a seat. They may have very well still paid their deposit and submitted their intent to attend on or even prior to the April 15th deadline, but because it was a few weeks or days (hell, maybe even hours?) too late and the school grossly overaccepted but can’t accommodate, now they’re potentially SOL?

I hate to speak ill of schools, but I seriously hope future applicants are reading this and realize how ****ed up that idea is and consider it strongly when choosing whether or not to apply to Western. That it happened last year was bad enough, but I'd at least give due credit for them fixing it if they'd managed to resolve the problem for the future. That it’s happening again is inexcusable, IMO. Western is incorrect in the claim that other schools do this; they do not. No other school offers admission and then takes it away and places you on a waitlist because you weren’t among the first X number of people to submit the deposit. If you are accepted, you are accepted—that seat is yours and you are free to do with that seat as you wish so long as you make the decision by April 15th.

Whether it’s intentional or not, Western is pressuring accepted students into submitting their deposits for seats as immediately as possible at the risk of those seats being deferred or even lost altogether if they happen to wait just a little too long to pay, even if it is still well before the official deadline. That IS coercion and, as far as I can tell, it SHOULD be considered a violation of the April 15th policy between the schools and AAVMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 15 users
Hadn't popped on this thread again for quite some time. Cant believe this is happening again. TBH if AAVMC does nothing I would say it's reasonable for applicants to reach out to AVMA COE. Its inexcusable.

For those who were affected by Western's deferral of accepted applicants this year and last, you can contact Diana Dabdub of AAVMC ([email protected]) regarding this matter. She is the current Director of Admissions and Recruitment Affairs.

I've reached out to her about Western's practice and this is her reply to me:

"If you know someone that it happened to, please have them reach out to me regarding their situation. This will allow me to investigate what happened specifically to that person and take the appropriate action based on an investigation.

Please have them reach out to me as soon as possible, provide their statement, what they wish to happen, and include supporting documentation (i.e. any communication screenshots, or emails)."

For those who were affected by Western's deferral of accepted applicants this year and last, you can contact Diana Dabdub of AAVMC ([email protected]) regarding this matter. She is the current Director of Admissions and Recruitment Affairs.

I've reached out to her about Western's practice and this is her reply to me:

"If you know someone that it happened to, please have them reach out to me regarding their situation. This will allow me to investigate what happened specifically to that person and take the appropriate action based on an investigation.

Please have them reach out to me as soon as possible, provide their statement, what they wish to happen, and include supporting documentation (i.e. any communication screenshots, or emails)."

If you're on the APVMA facebook page, this would be great information to post there as well!

If you're on the APVMA facebook page, this would be great information to post there as well!

I am not in that FB group. If you are (or someone here who is), can you please post it there?

Just stalked this thread when I saw the FB post...I can’t believe this happened again. This is insane. tOSU overaccepted their class this year by ~14 seats. But they’re working to make accommodations - not forcing deferral or putting anyone on an “accepted waitlist”. I think it’s very disappointing how Western is handling this. So sorry to anyone dealing with this mess right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Just stalked this thread when I saw the FB post...I can’t believe this happened again. This is insane. tOSU overaccepted their class this year by ~14 seats. But they’re working to make accommodations - not forcing deferral or putting anyone on an “accepted waitlist”. I think it’s very disappointing how Western is handling this. So sorry to anyone dealing with this mess right now.

Illinois's class of 2020 was originally over accepted by 50 people (180 instead of 130). It eventually got down to 160, and 155 are graduating in two weeks. They made it work by being more judicious with referrals, people being called off other waitlists, expanding a classroom and our clinical rotations. It can be done without screwing over students for sure.

Something that doesn’t add up for me is that Western says that they can’t accommodate the extra students because the AVMA sets limits on class size for each school. But other schools are able to make accommodations in such a way that even if the number of students that end up actually matriculating (and not accepting offers elsewhere or choosing to defer) is a good amount higher than usual, they still fit in the extra students. So either all of these schools have a class size that is well below the limit the AVMA has set for them, and Western decides to go right up against that limit, or it’s just not true. I don’t know. I have a feeling it’s the former. But then why is it only Western that has this problem? Why are they deciding to play this fast and loose in a way that has backfired two years in a row?

Illinois's class of 2020 was originally over accepted by 50 people (180 instead of 130). It eventually got down to 160, and 155 are graduating in two weeks. They made it work by being more judicious with referrals, people being called off other waitlists, expanding a classroom and our clinical rotations. It can be done without screwing over students for sure.
Something that doesn’t add up for me is that Western says that they can’t accommodate the extra students because the AVMA sets limits on class size for each school. But other schools are able to make accommodations in such a way that even if the number of students that end up actually matriculating (and not accepting offers elsewhere or choosing to defer) is a good amount higher than usual, they still fit in the extra students. So either all of these schools have a class size that is well below the limit the AVMA has set for them, and Western decides to go right up against that limit, or it’s just not true. I don’t know. I have a feeling it’s the former. But then why is it only Western that has this problem? Why are they deciding to play this fast and loose in a way that has backfired two years in a row?

I'm a current WesternU student (first year for a short time longer) and while I'm not defending their actions, you do have to remember we do not have our own teaching hospital, just a very small, general practice small animal hospital and we HEAVILY rely on other farms/hospitals/etc for our clinical experience and rotations. We have contracts with those locations as well for limits on students, and students cannot get a quality education if the hospital is overloaded with the amount agreed upon, nor would the quality of care being delivered to patients be the same if it was crowded with students.

I deeply feel for the students that were deferred both last year and this, I do feel there is likely a better way, but it is much more complicated issue than just accommodating 50 more students. It would be better if the issue was prevented rather than dealt with after the fact though, agreed. Again not defending their actions at all. Just offering some perspective.

I'm a current WesternU student (first year for a short time longer) and while I'm not defending their actions, you do have to remember we do not have our own teaching hospital, just a very small, general practice small animal hospital and we HEAVILY rely on other farms/hospitals/etc for our clinical experience and rotations. We have contracts with those locations as well for limits on students, and students cannot get a quality education if the hospital is overloaded with the amount agreed upon, nor would the quality of care being delivered to patients be the same if it was crowded with students.

I deeply feel for the students that were deferred both last year and this, I do feel there is likely a better way, but it is much more complicated issue than just accommodating 50 more students. It would be better if the issue was prevented rather than dealt with after the fact though, agreed. Again not defending their actions at all. Just offering some perspective.
The issue, in addition to the fact that it’s happening at all, is that they’re NOT dealing with it after the fact. They’re just saying “oops nothing we can do. And no way we could have prevented this.” Yes there is. Accept fewer students.

Also, if there are 500+ locations worldwide where students can do rotations, which is heavily advertised and one of the selling points of the school, how would taking in extra students impact that? It just means fewer students would get their number one choice for each rotation. In a school with a teaching hospital, the capacity is still limited. If anything, having 500+ locations to do rotations gives more freedom to students to go wherever they want and should make this even less of an issue. Western so badly wanted to make this model work. So badly, that they sued the AVMA into accrediting them. Because of that, I don’t buy that argument.

Reactions: 10 users

Completely understand that, but the focus right now is that if they can't accommodate don't over accept. Have a large waitlist. I know you're acknowledging that fact and explaining why they can't accommodate. I empathize so strongly with everyone on the accepted waitlist. Please make sure to reach out to that contact person at the AVMA and report this situation.

Western so badly wanted to make this model work. So badly, that they sued the AVMA into accrediting them.

I fell like I missed this entire story

I fell like I missed this entire story
There are a few different articles about it, and if you search “western university AVMA lawsuit” you’ll find them. The gist is that in 1999 and 2000, the AVMA would not accredit Western. They were deficient in 2 of the 11 standards required to receive a letter of reasonable assurance. Western sued the AVMA. An independent panel found that the AVMA did nothing wrong. The AVMA established a liaison to Western to help facilitate the changes that needed to be made to earn a letter of reasonable assurance. Western then sued the AVMA again. Many deans from other schools spoke up and said that they don’t feel comfortable with Western getting accredited because, in their words, it was turning the profession into a trade, as well as aiming to produce mostly small animal general practitioners which weren’t needed.

Hello,

Just a friendly reminder that the vet schools actually look at these forums and the veterinary world is small, because we all talk to each other. I understand being upset, but it is quite unprofessional to be openly bashing a respected institution on the internet where things are forever.

Additionally, the accreditation process is grueling and not very easy, considering new vet schools haven't popped up since around the 80's or 90's before Midwestern, Western, University of Arizona, and Long Island University. Unless you are on the COE panel, please stop disrespecting the incredible work our institutions and AVMA do in order to allow us to reach our dream occupation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hello,

Just a friendly reminder that the vet schools actually look at these forums and the veterinary world is small, because we all talk to each other. I understand being upset, but it is quite unprofessional to be openly bashing a respected institution on the internet where things are forever.

Additionally, the accreditation process is grueling and not very easy, considering new vet schools haven't popped up since around the 80's or 90's before Midwestern, Western, University of Arizona, and Long Island University. Unless you are on the COE panel, please stop disrespecting the incredible work our institutions and AVMA do in order to allow us to reach our dream occupation.
I get that. And that is a concern. But students shouldn’t be afraid to reach out and file complaints regarding this. And students should be aware of these things, and shouldn’t give any school that has done this the benefit of the doubt. And no one is bashing Western for anything unwarranted, or in ways that are unprofessional. Everything that has been brought up as a concern is something that’s been documented as having happened.

I get that. And that is a concern. But students shouldn’t be afraid to reach out and file complaints regarding this. And students should be aware of these things, and shouldn’t give any school that has done this the benefit of the doubt. And no one is bashing Western for anything unwarranted, or in ways that are unprofessional. Everything that has been brought up as a concern is something that’s been documented as having happened.

Right, there's a difference between informing people and then going on and on and on aggressively on the internet about whatever issues they may or may not have. Also remember that you may not be coming off the way you think you are over the internet and that can land you in some hot water with your institution. You're making statements that are considered libel unless you have your sources cited, which again, is unprofessional. Plenty of veterinary schools and graduate schools over accept, it isn't a new concept. Does it suck? Yes, but the world is unfair and unfortunately you still have to become a professional in this world.

Reactions: 1 users

While agree it is more difficult than it may sound, the fact it has happened two cycles in a row. It's gone from a simple mistake to a problem. There are much better solutions that are possible that havent been enforced, and the only people who missed out are those who earned a seat that was then taken without cause. The AAVMC was contacted last year and did nothing. Meanwhile, my school had to go through an emergency COE and site visit with their accreditation being called into question. It's kinda a double standard at that point.

I understand being upset, but it is quite unprofessional to be openly bashing a respected institution on the internet where things are forever.

Plenty of veterinary schools and graduate schools over accept, it isn't a new concept. Does it suck? Yes, but the world is unfair and unfortunately you still have to become a professional in this world.

I regards to my statements, it's not hard to find who I am. I would also say my statements to other veterinarians I know and in person. I personally contacted the AAVMC through my school email last year when this happened as I was an over accepted student at one point. You can certainly be professional while also discussing the merits on the negatives of any institution.

Its libel or slander if there is a gross misrepresentation of the institution. As far as my statements are concerned, they have legitimate merit for how this has played out two years in a row, and how the way this has been handled by the school goes against policies the other 33 stateside schools have followed through on, including those who gained provisional accreditation in October. As I said for my institution, we had a full in emergency site visit from the COE when 2020 was grossly over accepted.

The problem isnt necessarily the fact the institution over accepted. That happens, I get it, truly, as I was originally in 2020. The problem is this happened twice in a row, and while life may not be fair (which I totally get), the only people suffering here are the students losing their seat that they earned per not just Western, but the AAVMC as well. Western had no reprimand for over accepting and then bumping those students despite them meeting the April 15 deadline. That's a problem that the school should be held accountable for by their accrediting bodies.

Reactions: 11 users
Right, there's a difference between informing people and then going on and on and on aggressively on the internet about whatever issues they may or may not have. Also remember that you may not be coming off the way you think you are over the internet and that can land you in some hot water with your institution. You're making statements that are considered libel unless you have your sources cited, which again, is unprofessional. Plenty of veterinary schools and graduate schools over accept, it isn't a new concept. Does it suck? Yes, but the world is unfair and unfortunately you still have to become a professional in this world.
No, plenty of schools do not overaccept. Occasionally some schools do. And they remedy the issue. What western did last year was unprecedented. And then they did it again this year.

I also fail to see how anything I have said is libel. If what I’m saying is libel, then Ralph Brinster, one of the most accomplished and famous veterinarians in American history, is guilty as well.

Plenty of veterinary schools and graduate schools over accept, it isn't a new concept. Does it suck? Yes, but the world is unfair and unfortunately you still have to become a professional in this world.
I can agree with the general statement you made up until this part. Yes some schools over accept, but they find ways to accommodate those students that they accepted into their class. Based on what's been told so far, that's not what's happening here.
Additionally, the world may be unfair, but that doesn't mean we should leave unfair things the way they are and not try to change them? We can all be professionals and still call out an unfair practice in hopes that it will improve.

I can agree with the general statement you made up until this part. Yes some schools over accept, but they find ways to accommodate those students that they accepted into their class. Based on what's been told so far, that's not what's happening here.
Additionally, the world may be unfair, but that doesn't mean we should leave unfair things the way they are and not try to change them? We can all be professionals and still call out an unfair practice in hopes that it will improve.

Agree to disagree, I'm not going to argue and I do agree things should change; however, there is a way of going about it that matters. Not the internet, in a forum. That does not bring change.

Either way, I hope the remainder of your semesters are coming to a nice close!

I think acknowledging a problem exists is one thing, but continuously pounding this to the ground is another. Especially on an online “anonymous” forum. Personally would just have expected a handful of people to say: hey, we agree with y’all that this isn’t right. Here is who you can contact. Let’s fix this. Of course, though in the better way some put it.

But instead we’ve continued to call an entire programs integrity into question and got to claiming the program sued their way into accreditation and spreading the thoughts they are producing unneeded SA GP DVMs? And continue to drive that point home when there are students in just about every class in every program who don’t want to be SA GP practitioners. There are great students there and they still produce excellent doctors.

I don’t think the comment was intended to point fingers at anyone. Just to serve as a general reminder that there is a line to walk. We all want (pre) vet students to be successful and given the opportunities and tools to get there. But, just a reminder that words and intent can’t always be told over the internet and can be taken a certain way. No finger pointing, no calling-out, just a reminder we all need in the stress of COVID (at least I think).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I agree about professionalism. Sure. But being angry does not mean you are being unprofessional. Bringing up negative things that have happened and have been genuine complaints from respected members of the veterinary community is not unprofessional. And there is no better way to get this done. Unless you are angry, institutions will do whatever they can to sweep issues like this under the rug and hope that people forget, which much of the time they do. This is something that should not be forgotten, and needs to be fixed.

Western has been at the forefront of challenging the standards of education. It is a private school that has no teaching hospital that has a very hefty price tag and has twice side stepped a policy meant to protect applicants. There is no “out to getcha” on the part of those, including myself, speaking up just for the hell of it. There are serious issues here. No one is accusing the students, teachers, or veterinarians that are associated with the school. However the administration needs to answer for continued practices that whether intended or not, take advantage of those dreaming of joining the profession.

I agree that it’s a problem that needs to be fixed but I would like to play “devil’s advocate” on two points. Someone brought up Western adding an additional interview day and how that was wrong. Historically, they have done this when students couldn’t attend their original interview dates due to travel constraints and other obligations. Not to add applicants at the last minute from my understanding. Second, we don’t know how many offers they made. It is possible that they tried to address this problem by reducing numbers but failed. The fact is that we don’t know everything and communication is lacking.

I do think the deferred students, the one’s who are truly impacted by all this, should file a complaint with the information that has been provided. Do I think sitting here and continuing to bring up stuff from 20 years ago and insinuating the school is a hack is beneficial? Not really. There are other private schools with no teaching hospitals. Do they have issues, yeah, but I’ve personally worked with veterinarians from these programs (non SA GP) and have nothing but nice things to say.

Not in vet med, so I don't really care. Honestly, though, I stand by what I've said, and I'm fully aware that--between SDN, APVMA, and other pre-vet resources I've helped to develop--it's very easy to piece together who I am. Again, doesn't really bother me. In my mind, at least, I feel like what I've said isn't "bashing" but instead detailing a legitimate problem that has now cropped up two application cycles in a row.

You don't have to be on the COE panel to point out an issue. Like, the entire policies and procedures are laid out online. Sure, there are probably many more factors that go into the actual evaluation and accreditation process, but the basics are publicly available.

Right, there's a difference between informing people and then going on and on and on aggressively on the internet about whatever issues they may or may not have. Also remember that you may not be coming off the way you think you are over the internet and that can land you in some hot water with your institution. You're making statements that are considered libel unless you have your sources cited, which again, is unprofessional.
While I don't know that I agree that bringing up the questionable history between the AVMA and Western is particularly helpful and it shouldn't really have an impact on current events, what @ajs513 has brought up is accurate, and it's easy enough to find the information backing it up. Calling it libel is a little much.

Overaccepting. Is. Not. The. Issue.

I'm growing tired of explaining this over and over again, so I'm just going to quote a previous post of mine on this:

Schools overaccept all the time; they find ways to make it work. That's not the issue. The issue is that for them to institute what is effectively a "first come, first served" method of acceptances based upon when deposits are sent in---even if it is well prior to April 15th---is in violation of the April 15th policy, the entire point of which is to save applicants money in putting down deposits at multiple schools in order to secure a seat, as several schools don't put decisions out until later in the cycle. To incentivize early payment of the deposit at the risk of deferral and/or losing your seat in the Class of 2024 is coercion.

Literally no other vet school does it this way.
I just wanted to clarify, too, that I don't think offering deferred acceptances is necessarily a bad thing; I know of at least a couple of other vet schools that have done this when more students than anticipated accepted admissions offers. But generally when that happens, there are at least some incentives offered. Obviously, since Western is private they can't give those deferred IS tuition, but I think that it's only right that they offer something. It's kind of a big deal to suddenly have a year-long delay in starting a program like that.

And this has happened now two cycles in a row. At the very least this year, it looks like they're offering refunds. From what I remember, they didn't do that last year.

Additionally, I have to wonder if you'd still be saying "Oh, well, it's unfair but I still have to be professional" if you'd been one of the people who had an acceptance ripped away from you because you couldn't pay your deposit for a seat right away for whatever reason and the school decided that it was going to close off the class and instead maybe defer you (it's apparently not even guaranteed!), even though it is potentially well before April 15th. That's kind of a big deal. Have some empathy, please.

I agree that it’s a problem that needs to be fixed but I would like to play “devil’s advocate” on two points. Someone brought up Western adding an additional interview day and how that was wrong. Historically, they have done this when students couldn’t attend their original interview dates due to travel constraints and other obligations. Not to add applicants at the last minute from my understanding.
I don't thinking adding an additional interview day would have made a difference, truthfully. It's likely that they just need to utilize longer (actual) waitlists and accept fewer people outright, if it is indeed true that they cannot increase their class size and/or accommodate the extra admits like other vet schools do when they overaccept.

There are other private schools with no teaching hospitals. Do they have issues, yeah, but I’ve personally worked with veterinarians from these programs (non SA GP) and have nothing but nice things to say.
But Western was the first private school with no teaching hospital. They were the first ones to implement a distributive model. They were the ones to set the precedent and there are people who've been in the profession for a while who don't like the precedent that was set with them being more or less pushing the COE into a corner in order to get accredited despite not meeting at least one or two standards for accreditation.

Is that wrong? I don't know. I have to be honest: I don't have the best impression of any of these private schools, especially those without teaching hospitals, and I don't understand why they tend to be so much more expensive than state schools that do have teaching hospitals on average, even if going OOS. It just sits wrong with me considering the issues with debt and saturation that the profession as a whole is already grappling with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it’s a problem that needs to be fixed but I would like to play “devil’s advocate” on two points. Someone brought up Western adding an additional interview day and how that was wrong. Historically, they have done this when students couldn’t attend their original interview dates due to travel constraints and other obligations. Not to add applicants at the last minute from my understanding. Second, we don’t know how many offers they made. It is possible that they tried to address this problem by reducing numbers but failed. The fact is that we don’t know everything and communication is lacking.

I do think the deferred students, the one’s who are truly impacted by all this, should file a complaint with the information that has been provided. Do I think sitting here and continuing to bring up stuff from 20 years ago and insinuating the school is a hack is beneficial? Not really. There are other private schools with no teaching hospitals. Do they have issues, yeah, but I’ve personally worked with veterinarians from these programs (non SA GP) and have nothing but nice things to say.

No one is attacking the veterinarians/students/educators. Once again, that defense is not a relevant part of the discussion. And it doesn’t matter that we don’t know everything, the fact is their policy the past two years is pay immediately to actually have a seat, and that sets a dangerous precedent that once again takes away protections to the more vulnerable party, the applicant.

One thing to realize here is that these are discussions about how to protect our profession. There is a continued inspection in this thread because Western, and yes, many of the private schools that have and are popping up, are causing some concerns about their set up and adding to a growing debt to salary ratio as well as over saturation concerns. @Minnerbelle has already posted about when jobs were hard to find, and that is always a concern, especially once again as the economy may impact our job market when owner’s don’t have the income for pet care.

So, just to put it in its own post,

CONGRATS TO THOSE ATTENDING. this discussion is in no way a reflection on your accomplishment or that you won’t be a wonderful vet. I support you in every way. :cat:

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
My point in bringing up the lawsuit is that Western owes its history to pushing the AVMA into a corner despite loud objection from the veterinary community. In this time, when Western has violated the trust and procedures of applicants and the AAVMC, Western is only deserving of a concerted effort to bring this to light and force change.

It has absolutely nothing to do with future, current, or past students of Western and their ability to practice veterinary medicine. They have proven and will continue to prove themselves as the Dean has said. It has everything to do with hypocrisy on Western’s part. Both in 2000, and just last year when the director of admissions specifically said that this behavior is unacceptable and should be reported to the AAVMC. Applicants caught up in this situation may rightfully be scared and frustrated with the situation. It is up to those of us who don’t have a stake in this to help facilitate their actions and remind them how important it is.

I hope everyone is staying safe.
I believe at least part of the function of this site is for all pre-vet and vet students to exchange info, connect and support each other. As for professionalism, the program was not being slandered since they DID overaccpet students two cycles in a row. We did not spread any rumors, even though some of us shared what have happened and expressed concerns.
The program definitely works to educate excellent vets, I personally knew a few great doctors graduated from WesternU. However, the admin could do better.

• Love
I have officially taken myself from the accepted student waitlist. As of this morning I was sixth on this waitlist. I will be getting a masters in animal and veterinary science and reapplying within the next year. Best of luck to everyone else!

For students attending WesternU, is there a chance that the school may lose accreditation over this or is that too drastic of a thought?

For students attending WesternU, is there a chance that the school may lose accreditation over this or is that too drastic of a thought?
I just got a letter from the AAVMC and they basically said students are free to accept offers before April 15th and that they are working closely to clarify the language in Westerns acceptance letter. And all admissions decisions are up to Western. They play no direct role So basically, no. They aren’t doing anything So western will not lose accreditation.

I just got a letter from the AAVMC and they basically said students are free to accept offers before April 15th and that they are working closely to clarify the language in Westerns acceptance letter. And all admissions decisions are up to Western. They play no direct role So basically, no. They aren’t doing anything So western will not lose accreditation.

Are you kidding?