Western c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for a westernu email address to be created after the deposit was paid?
I believe it was within the same day or the next. But relatively fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So proud of you! I'm also someone who struggled, and is now 30, and it's finally happening! I can't wait to study alongside you. August couldn't come fast enough ☺

THANKYOU!!!!!!!! 2024!!!!! Can’t wait !!!

Hi for those accepted, is there a Facebook group?!?!? I want to connect with future classmates? If not I will email westernU tomorrow and see what the process is like in that regards!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Psssssst @LowGPAButStrongPassion, you should post your stats in the c/o 2024 successful applicants thread! You may inspire another pre-vet down the road :)

I am actually going to do that soon! I will be making YouTube video with more details on my own experiences etc. video so much more easier than writing it plus it is Perceived differently as well. Stay tuned!!

Hi for those accepted, is there a Facebook group?!?!? I want to connect with future classmates? If not I will email westernU tomorrow and see what the process is like in that regards!!

Yeah this would be awesome to figure out! I'm thinking about renting a house (which would probably be the cheapest option) and would love to connect for possible roommates.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah this would be awesome to figure out! I'm thinking about renting a house (which would probably be the cheapest option) and would love to connect for possible roommates.
SAME BOAT. Pomona is ghetto but housing is cheaper which is good. There are a lot of housing in the surrounding cities too. I just want to be close to the school to save on parking, gas, etc, I have a dog so I will be on the hunt for sure starting next month. and hoping to move by July and get a custom to Pomona a month before Aug 3rd.

Hey all I got accepted into one of my top schools so I will be declining my seat. Hopefully this helps someone! Good luck y’all!!

Reactions: 5 users
CLASS OF 2024!! #Groups
Hi everyone, if you are attending WesternU in the Fall for the class of 2024, Alexandra called me this morning stating that admission doesn't create a Facebook Group. So I got the ball rolling and started our group, join here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/199260441436877/?tn-str=*F

CLASS OF 2024: If you have been accepted to the class of 2024 from any veterinary school, I am inviting you to join this group:

**I need help with planning and managing these groups so please let me know if you are interested! Let get as prepared and build the best support system among us, the future of vet med!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S GOOOOO 2024!!!!!!!!!!

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT DOWN BELOW OF OTHER GROUPS FOR THE CLASS OF 2024 TO HELP BRING AWARENESS TO YOUR FUTURE CLASSMATES. Thank you!

Has anyone else had trouble accessing their Western email with the info given? I've tried every way possible and haven't been able to get in. I also can't get in contact with anyone at admissions.

Has anyone else had trouble accessing their Western email with the info given? I've tried every way possible and haven't been able to get in. I also can't get in contact with anyone at admissions.
No trouble here but it was not so straight forward. I always email and they call me back a day or two after . They prefer calls Vs email. But something general like this, maybe IT?

Anyone know when official transcripts are due? At least as far as fall transcripts goes, I saw in the packet they gave us during the interview process I believe they said in March, but im seeing different info on the portal..

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially declined my other school and am accepting Western! I'm soooo excited can't wait to meet you all :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when official transcripts are due? At least as far as fall transcripts goes, I saw in the packet they gave us during the interview process I believe they said in March, but im seeing different info on the portal..
Fall transcripts are due sometime in March and final spring transcripts are due June 1. I think they can be sent electronically to [email protected]

Hey guys!! I was accepted to Western and I am an alternate for LMU, so not counting on it. Most likely will be joining some of y’all in August!

Reactions: 2 users
Alternates, will you be getting the the lab work done for the health clearance requirements in case you get an offer?
Im wondering this too. Would rather not waste more money than needed at this point.

Hey guys! Just heads up, many family/primary care physicians are not taking "well visits/physicals" right now as to limit exposure to the corona virus. I live in Arizona right now and after calling 5+ offices, the earliest I could get in was end of April. I would suggest if you guys haven't already to get on it! Some offices weren't taking appointments until June...

Did anyone get accepted into Davis, but is choosing Western. If so, why?
I worked with a vet who graduated from western and she said she absolutely loved the program. I am also choosing western due to being closer to family and friends. I am also a current Davis undergrad student who has experience taking classes at the vet school and working in the teaching hospital. I realized overtime, Davis wasn't really for me. I don't really learn well in didactic learning and felt that, after four years here, I am happier leaving the area as opposed to staying here for an extra four years. This is just my own opinion however. Davis is an excellent school, but I felt happier being back in SoCal when I went home for breaks. As @LowGPAButStrongPassion said, having a good support system while in this tough program will be essential. On top of that, I feel like western prepares you for practice more so than Davis given we would go to different clinic sites for clinical years to actually practice what we have learned. Ultimately, choose the school that makes you happier to attend there since no matter where you go, a DVM is a DVM.

Was waitlisted but declined since I accepted for another program. Good luck to everyone ^-^

I just discovered this thread!

I'm an alternate! Wishing everyone the best :D

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how Western will handle prerequisites now because of covid-19? I’m at UCD and they’ve decided all courses will be done remotely/virtually for the remaining spring quarter. I’m only missing oChem with lab, but on their webpage it says they will not accept online/virtual lab. I’ve already emailed them, but wanted to see if anyone had asked.

Does anyone know how Western will handle prerequisites now because of covid-19? I’m at UCD and they’ve decided all courses will be done remotely/virtually for the remaining spring quarter. I’m only missing oChem with lab, but on their webpage it says they will not accept online/virtual lab. I’ve already emailed them, but wanted to see if anyone had asked.
We are allowing students to finish their labs online for the Spring 2020 term. As we are still waiting and watching direction from the CDC we cannot advise beyond Spring 2020 at this time.

Hi Everyone! Hope you're all doing well in these crazy times! In anticipation of better times ahead, I am putting feelers out for a couple new roommates starting July 15.

I didn't see if your class had a Facebook page yet, so I thought I'd write it here.

We have at least two rooms open in a super awesome, 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house (YES, EACH ROOM GETS ITS OWN BATHROOM) on the border of Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga, just a stone’s throw away from Ontario Mills Outlet Mall and Victoria Gardens (nice and SAFE area unlike some of the places next to campus).

I’ll be in the master bedroom w/ my husband and the other bedrooms are going for $660 a month plus utilities and internet which come out to roughly $40 a month per person. There is an upstairs and downstairs living room as well as an extra side room which we use as a guest room. Our commute to school is around 20 minutes and we’re 1/2 mile from the Ontario Airport which is where all 3rd year rotations take off from.

Our landlord is really chill and accommodating. Tenants have been vet students since it was built a little over four years ago, so ideally we’d like to keep this gem in the vet med family. The house does allow pets but unfortunately one of my dogs is dog aggressive. Other pets can be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested and I can share some photos. Thanks!

Hi Everyone! Hope you're all doing well in these crazy times! In anticipation of better times ahead, I am putting feelers out for a couple new roommates starting July 15.

I didn't see if your class had a Facebook page yet, so I thought I'd write it here.

We have at least two rooms open in a super awesome, 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house (YES, EACH ROOM GETS ITS OWN BATHROOM) on the border of Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga, just a stone’s throw away from Ontario Mills Outlet Mall and Victoria Gardens (nice and SAFE area unlike some of the places next to campus).

I’ll be in the master bedroom w/ my husband and the other bedrooms are going for $660 a month plus utilities and internet which come out to roughly $40 a month per person. There is an upstairs and downstairs living room as well as an extra side room which we use as a guest room. Our commute to school is around 20 minutes and we’re 1/2 mile from the Ontario Airport which is where all 3rd year rotations take off from.

Our landlord is really chill and accommodating. Tenants have been vet students since it was built a little over four years ago, so ideally we’d like to keep this gem in the vet med family. The house does allow pets but unfortunately one of my dogs is dog aggressive. Other pets can be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested and I can share some photos. Thanks!

Hi.

this is the Facebook group for 2024. I will share your post on there if that is okay?

for those accepted, please join the join.

I just declined my seat to attend another school, but am happy that this will open the opportunity for someone just as qualified and eagerly awaiting a seat!

• Love
Anyone else ready to hear off the waitlist? I’m so ready and it’s only barely the decision deadline!

I
Anyone else ready to hear off the waitlist? I’m so ready and it’s only barely the decision deadline!
I got accepted and was told that they filled the class already. So anyone that paid their deposit super early is in the class and those that waited like me because of circumstances are now on a “waitlist”. So even though they offered and seat and we paid we are no longer guaranteed a spot. Which sucks. They overaccepted again. So the only way these accepted students get off is if another accepted student gives up their seat. I don’t want to crush your hopes just letting you know what is going on. Best of luck!

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I

I got accepted and was told that they filled the class already. So anyone that paid their deposit super early is in the class and those that waited like me because of circumstances are now on a “waitlist”. So even though they offered and seat and we paid we are no longer guaranteed a spot. Which sucks. They overaccepted again. So the only way these accepted students get off is if another accepted student gives up their seat. I don’t want to crush your hopes just letting you know what is going on. Best of luck!

Again? No! Thanks for the update

I accepted and gave up my seat due to personal reasons. I hope that helps anyone!!! :) good luck guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh! does that mean you accepted your seat at Western and then gave it up?
That is correct! Hoping to help someone out who needs it :) (everyone deserves a spot!)

They did this again??? Did they tell you how many people are on the "accepted waitlist"?

They did this again??? Did they tell you how many people are on the "accepted waitlist"?
No, I just know I’m #14. I was also told that deferments to the next class are not guaranteed either.

• Angry
I

No, I just know I’m #14. I was also told that deferments to the next class are not guaranteed either.
Crazy that they did this again after the backlash from last year. I was really hoping it was a one-time thing that they would have found some way to resolve between then and now.

@QuinVet, would you mind posting the email that you were sent regarding the class being full and you being placed on the accepted waitlist? I’m curious to see if the verbiage varies from last year’s. Also, when did you recieve the notification? If it was prior to the April 15th deadline, then it may be in violation of the agreement set between AAVMC and the vet schools. I know it's been an odd cycle with the COVID-19 weirdness, but those affected might still want to reach out to the AAVMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Crazy that they did this again after the backlash from last year. I was really hoping it was a one-time thing that they would have found some way to resolve between then and now.

@QuinVet, would you mind posting the email that you were sent regarding the class being full and you being placed on the accepted waitlist? I’m curious to see if the verbiage varies from last year’s.

Anyway, in the meantime, it may be a good idea for anyone affected by this to reach out to the AAVMC.
I attached the email I was sent. I thought there was nothing I could do because they advised us to pay it early. I just felt if that was the case they should have just put that on the portal instead of giving us until April 15th. Also she was like if I accept my offer. I had accepted it just not paid the deposit at the time I received this email. She said seats aren’t considered “secure” until you have accepted AND paid the deposit.
692A9ECC-F355-44A4-ACCC-A775F2A85999.png

I attached the email I was sent. I thought there was nothing I could do because they advised us to pay it early. I just felt if that was the case they should have just put that on the portal instead of giving us until April 15th. Also she was like if I accept my offer. I had accepted it just not paid the deposit at the time I received this email. She said seats aren’t considered “secure” until you have accepted AND paid the deposit.
View attachment 302447
So this email looks like it was sent "a few weeks away" from April 15th... at least they're actually offering refunds this time around, which I distinctly remember them not doing last year.

Anyway, how it is supposed to work is that if you receive an offer of admission from a school, then the school must honor it provided that you accept the offer and pay your deposit by the deadline on April 15th. It doesn't matter if you submit your intention to attend and the deposit right when you get in or if you wait until the last moment on April 15th. They must honor it either way. It also doesn't matter if the school overaccepted and they don't have the capacity to accommodate everyone; that's not the applicants' faults. That is your seat that you earned.

Schools overaccept all the time; they find ways to make it work. That's not the issue. The issue is that for them to institute what is effectively a "first come, first served" method of acceptances based upon when deposits are sent in---even if it is well prior to April 15th---is in violation of the April 15th policy, the entire point of which is to save applicants money in putting down deposits at multiple schools in order to secure a seat, as several schools don't put decisions out until later in the cycle. To incentivize early payment of the deposit at the risk of deferral and/or losing your seat in the Class of 2024 is coercion.

Literally no other vet school does it this way.

This is the email from last year, for reference:
Dear xxxxxx,

On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, we are writing to inform you that the class entering Fall 2019 is filled and we currently are unable to confirm your seat in the Fall 2019 entering class at this time. As noted in the January 2019 offer letter, due to the large number of confirmations we have already received, we are in the unfortunate position of not being able to accept more than 108 students to our Fall 2019 entering class. As a result, we would like to offer you deferred acceptance into the Fall 2020 entering class. As a Deferred Acceptance student, should a place become vacant in the Fall 2019 entering class, you will be the ________ considered to fill the vacancy.

We recognize your strong commitment to our program and your stated interest is an important factor in our decision to offer you deferred admission. The educational goal and mission of the College is to graduate a veterinarian with the qualities of a caring, compassionate, lifelong learner with a distinctive humanistic philosophy. Our confidence in you was expressed via our original offer.

In order to secure your position as a deferred acceptance student, you are required to convey your acceptance by email. Should you not receive a seat in this Fall’s entering class, you will not be required to submit a new application nor an additional deposit. Regardless of the year of matriculation you will need to submit the following items by June 1 of the year you begin the professional curriculum (2019 or 2020); 1) updated official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended (if applicable), 2) evidence of completion of all required prerequisite coursework at a satisfactory level, 3) a physical examination, and 4) you must also meet the University’s immunization requirements as stated in the college catalog located at www.westernu.edu.

This year’s process has been unusually competitive. We understand the disappointment you may be feeling because of the potential delay in your professional training. Still, we are looking forward to your eventual arrival – now, or next year! Your position is secure if you follow the instructions provided above.

Our best to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
So this email looks like it was sent "a few weeks away" from April 15th... at least they're actually offering refunds this time around, which I distinctly remember them not doing last year.

Anyway, how it is supposed to work is that if you receive an offer of admission from a school, then the school must honor it provided that you accept the offer and pay your deposit by the deadline on April 15th. It doesn't matter if you submit your intention to attend and the deposit right when you get in or if you wait until the last moment on April 15th. They must honor it either way. It also doesn't matter if the school overaccepted and they don't have the capacity to accommodate everyone; that's not the applicants' faults. That is your seat that you earned.

Schools overaccept all the time; they find ways to make it work. That's not the issue. The issue is that for them to institute what is effectively a "first come, first served" method of acceptances based upon when deposits are sent in---even if it is well prior to April 15th---is in violation of the April 15th policy, the entire point of which is to save applicants money in putting down deposits at multiple schools in order to secure a seat, as several schools don't put decisions out until later in the cycle. To incentivize early payment of the deposit at the risk of deferral and/or losing your seat in the Class of 2024 is coercion.

Literally no other vet school does it this way.

This is the email from last year, for reference:
I sent in a comment to the AAVMC. Don’t know what will happen now. It’s just very frustrating to be excited to get in then to be told “hey since you didn’t pay right away” your seat is no longer yours. It just seems very money hungry to me.

Honestly from everything that happened last year, I'm just still confused on how they decided that Western didn't violate anything. I just read over the AAVMC email response again and they said "students are free to accept offers prior to April 15th, so Western is not in violation"...but if Western basically closes their acceptance pool before the official deadline, how is that not a violation?
And I'm also still confused on how them "offering" a deferral is not the same as them automatically deferring students? Yeah there's a chance for people to be pulled off this in-between waitlist, but if you're not allowing them to accept this year, I would essentially take that as an automatic deferral. The AAVMC response has sat weird with me since last year.

Reactions: 9 users
Honestly from everything that happened last year, I'm just still confused on how they decided that Western didn't violate anything. I just read over the AAVMC email response again and they said "students are free to accept offers prior to April 15th, so Western is not in violation"...but if Western basically closes their acceptance pool before the official deadline, how is that not a violation?
And I'm also still confused on how them "offering" a deferral is not the same as them automatically deferring students? Yeah there's a chance for people to be pulled off this in-between waitlist, but if you're not allowing them to accept this year, I would essentially take that as an automatic deferral. The AAVMC response has sat weird with me since last year.
Yup. No sane person likes true confrontation, but a ruling body needs to be responsible and dress down an institution that is skirting the rules on purpose. This is not okay, and needs to be fixed before more private institutions follow suit and continues to take advantage of the people who desire to be in our profession.

I was willing to let it go the first time, but they point blank told people during interview weekend that they acknowledged what happened and are making no changes to fix it this year, that really rubbed me the wrong way. And then they literally have repeated history to the letter because they got no repercussions last year.

The AAVMC should absolutely taken action against Western (they should have last year too) as this is definitely a violation of their terms and technically could be considered a violation of their accreditation status. All other vet schools have similar issues and deal with them with the applicants suffering; Western is expected to be held to the same standards.

I was also told that deferments to the next class are not guaranteed either.
(Sorry I can't get this situation out of my mind so I just keep re-reading posts lol) does this mean that you're not even guaranteed a spot in the class of 2025 if you do stay on this waitlist?

• Wow
(Sorry I can't get this situation out of my mind so I just keep re-reading posts lol) does this mean that you're not even guaranteed a spot in the class of 2025 if you do stay on this waitlist?
Yes I was told that deferments are at the discretion of the dean and not guaranteed.

• Wow
Everything I said last year has already been said by Elkhart and Lupin, so I just wanted to jump in and say that nobody should accept that this is happening. Including students who have secured a spot in the class. The deadline exists for a reason, and Western is blatantly in violation of that AGAIN. I don’t know what it will take for Western to fix their mistake. A class action lawsuit? Since Western coerced the AVMA into accrediting them a decade ago through a lawsuit, and is now coercing students into violating the deadline, I only see that as fitting. This is ridiculous, and I’m truly angry for everyone affected by this.

Reactions: 13 users
Everything I said last year has already been said by Elkhart and Lupin, so I just wanted to jump in and say that nobody should accept that this is happening. Including students who have secured a spot in the class. The deadline exists for a reason, and Western is blatantly in violation of that AGAIN. I don’t know what it will take for Western to fix their mistake. A class action lawsuit? Since Western coerced the AVMA into accrediting them a decade ago through a lawsuit, and is now coercing students into violating the deadline, I only see that as fitting. This is ridiculous, and I’m truly angry for everyone affected by this.

I am accepted and would like to participate in anything to help prevent this if AAVMC finds WesternU accountable. I am really sorry for those with mixed emotions. I read this last year and paid within the hour of my acceptance. I am willing to advocate as I don’t appreciate the bad representation moving forward. Clearly something needs to change...

I am so sorry to anyone that is on this "deferral list". It happened to me last year and was absolutely devastating. I had even signed out a lease on my house to someone and had no home because Western had even given me my student email/ID. Fortunately, I got pulled from MSU's waitlist so I was okay. If anyone needs someone to talk to, please feel free to reach out to me. I know how awful this is to go through. :( And please please please email AAVMC and report them. This is not okay and is not a problem that other schools have.

Reactions: 10 users
My heart goes to the students on deferral list. It totally sucks and I couldn’t imagine being in that situation. As an alternate, I am super disappointed at the school’ method of handling enrollment. I Would much prefer to be rejected outright and have more time to prepare for the next cycle than being on a meaningless waitlist and got crushed by some false hope.