Western/COMP Class of 2005 - part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More Saturday information!!!!!!!!!!

Parents and 1 guest (total of 3) or 3 guests are invited to join us at 8:30am and then again at 11am and then again for the picnic and tours at noon!!!!

If I can be of any more assistance let me know. 909-591-5366

Steph

Members don't see this ad.

is anyone gonna bring more that 3 guest, i mean they are holding it at a very big high school.. i talked to some girl in the events office and told her i have a granny, parents and young siblings that ARE goin to come. its not like i can leave half of them in the car..

Lizander,

Come either see me or Paul (our IT representative and the MAC tech support for our class) to get all the software you need and to configure your laptop.

By the way, IT at school won't support your iBook. Don't worry, Paul will take care of you.

Miles, I'll talk to you tomorrow at the picnic! :)

Arnold

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to access their back-up on the network after upgrading to Win 2000? I can't figure this thing out and it's driving me nuts!

-Eric

This info really won't affect me because I can't come to the pic-nic, but this is just to show how dis-organized and unreliable the info COMP sends out is. On the Orientation schedule that was send out in June, it says the pic-nic starts at 10AM and ends at 3PM.

I'm sure there will be some students showing up at 10AM and wondering what happened.

TNT, I agree completely. The COMP people do NOT have all their ducks in a row. If I call and ask a direct question it seems no one really knows what is going on. I've had to resubmit information to make up for their loss. The picnic is a practical example that COMP admin and student affairs NEEDS TO GET IT TOGETHER!! :mad:

Anyhow, I'm going to the picnic tomorrow. I want to see some new faces, there are 170+ of us right? :eek: I wonder what kind of demographics we have this year... any gunners?

Hey all,
I'm finally moved in up in Pomona. Man, this city is a trip. Sirens goin off to the left, train horns goin off to the right, dogs barkin, drunks yellin, street sweepers startin up at 11pm. It seems like this city never sleeps. Things will be interesting. Anyway, I think I'm goin to the picnic tomorrow so I hope to meet some of you there.
Otherwise I'll have to catch up to some of you guys before school starts. Hey I'm glad you guys cleared up that orientation mess. I had three different forms telling me three different dates for the start of orientation. sheesh.

peace

whaddup whaddup,
anybody knows how to get to the picnic from Chino Hills, i guess from 71????

Hey...I am sitting at COMP...getting my Windows updated so I figured that I might as well get my daily SDN dose..
I am going to the picnic..so I'll see whoever is there...

Who is the Miami person? I went to UM for my PostBac program...

Too funny...

See ya all later...

Puppyluv- Even though this is kinda late, if you needed to, you could take 71N until you eventually get to I-10. Take I-10 east to Indian Hills Blvd (about 5-10 minutes east), exit Indian Hills and go North (take a right). Drive up about 4-5 minutes and you'll see the park on your right when you hit 8th street.

Gonna be a scorcher today!

Do either of you guys have an email address or a place where i can find you?

Yeah...western doesn't support macs, but the IT guys configured the computer just fine, except for the LDAP on the mac OS X mail. But i can use the software...
Let me know if you guys have mac OS X...if not i can bring that software.

Again thanks!!!

Originally posted by aecuenca:
•Lizander,

Come either see me or Paul (our IT representative and the MAC tech support for our class) to get all the software you need and to configure your laptop.

By the way, IT at school won't support your iBook. Don't worry, Paul will take care of you.

Miles, I'll talk to you tomorrow at the picnic! :)

Arnold•

:)

Lizander- Arnold said he'd burn me the copies of the CD's you need.. then I can catch you sometime or you can just find him on campus sometime soon.

Where were you and Rob Tuesday? Picnic was a great opportunity to have fun and meet some people. I feel like I met more people in this one day than I've ever met in a single day before... wow! SDN was the key.. they should've put in a "plug" for SDN in their skit! (forgot to mention it to the SAPP'ers.. doh)

I gotta echo what melancholy said. The picnic was a great opportunity to meet our future classmates. Everyone seemed like a pretty good bunch of people. Hopefully we'll be a pretty unified class.

Melancholy, I don't know if I met you or not there. Do you go by Lanny?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow,

looks like some of you had a good time. Wish i could have gone, but i guess i'll just have to meet you guys on thursday mornin. Still trying to pack my things into my small saturn.

hey everyone, I was happy to meet some of you at the picnic. That was a good time. Is everyone having fun before classes start? I was wondering what everyone was doing or if anyone has made plans to go out and get nutty for one last time before the insanity that is med school starts. let me know, we should all go out. me and my roommate want to hang out with everyone, so lets get something together soon. I heard "godfather's" in chino is fun on wednesday. It used to be a pizza place, but it has turned into a fun bar. let me know what you all want to do! hopefully see you later.

Sorry...I wanted to go, but then i got stuck driving my sisters to their doctor's appointment. Sounds like you all had fun, I figure thurs we are gonna get to know every one really well!!!

See you all on thursday

[
QUOTE]Originally posted by melancholy:
Lizander- Arnold said he'd burn me the copies of the CD's you need.. then I can catch you sometime or you can just find him on campus sometime soon.

Where were you and Rob Tuesday? Picnic was a great opportunity to have fun and meet some people. I feel like I met more people in this one day than I've ever met in a single day before... wow! SDN was the key.. they should've put in a "plug" for SDN in their skit! (forgot to mention it to the SAPP'ers.. doh)•[/QUOTE]

By the way...my girlfriend is inviting everyone of you student doctors to the Congo Room Thursday night for some Salsa action.
And don't worry if you can't dance because before it turns into a club they do lessons at 8 sharp 15 bucks and it already includes admission into the club. Dress code is dress to impress.

Wildpanda,
If you teach me how to dance before you guys head out to the Conga Room, then maybe I'll consider going. :) :) :cool: :) :)

Lizander- Hey wow.. where is this Conga Room anyway? Salsa.. that's something I've never tried before, but it sure sounds interesting.

Prolixless- Hey.. did I happen to meet you at the picnic? I felt like I was all over the place.. going out of my mind trying to remember everyone I met there. Yeah, I do go by Lanny.. had that on my name tag. I was wearing a white t-shirt and khaki shorts today if that helps at all.

I kinda wished they hadn't used those colored dots on our name tags to designate which school we would be in. I admit it would've been good to satisfy my curiousity as to what school everyone would be going to, but at the same time, it seemed to slowly segregate each class to its own later in the daytime. I would've liked to have just met people and eventually found out what school they were in.. I guess it would've been nice to not have that distinction between schools from the very start. I just hear that during the year, there aren't as many opportunities to hang out with the other disciplines.. so it would probably be a good idea to get to know some of them now.

Anyway, tonight some of us went off to Old Town Pasadena to hang out at Q's (restaurant/bar/club). I think quite a few people are off doing their own things tomorrow (Wednesday).. some have family flying in, others still have things to clean up in their apartments (like me.. heh), and maybe others will just relax. I might actually go down to Newport Beach in Orange County later in the afternoon... not sure yet though. Maybe people will take another trip down another night, but it'd be nice to get in as much R&R before life starts to become a blur.. you know what I mean?

Lanny--I don't think we met at the picnic cuz I think I would have remembered your name. It's easy not to miss me since I was the only guy in our class there who had long brown hair. Funny, I noticed that segregation thing between the disciplines goin on too. It's alright though cuz I felt like I got to meet lots of characters. I was probably doin just as much talkin with PTs, PAs and Pharms as I was with my own peeps.

So what's the deal with tomorrow? Are we suppossed to look all nice and tidy for yearbook pics or whatever?

I heard something that our pictures were going to be taken this week...but now that I think of it....what are we supposed to wear?
Going to private school for many years...and having a uniform to wear...eliminated these problems for me...but I also feel that it now attributes to the fact that my sense of fashon is that of one who dresses in dark closets (during rolling blackouts..little picnic humor there)

Did anyone see Adismo22 there? He was supposed to show up, but I never saw him..and since this is his "second" no-show...his credibility has weaned considerably....

See ya tomm!!!

Prolixless- If you were the only guy there with long brown hair, I think I saw you a number of times, but didn't get a chance to meet ya. We'll see each other Thursday though.. and Friday.. and for the next couple of years.. heh.

Yosh- They'll take ID and yearbook pictures during registration Thursday I think. You don't have to really dress up because the pictures are pretty much from the shoulders up.. and in the yearbook, the MS-I's don't get many pages anyway (and the pictures are smaller). I think it should be casual dress for orientation the next two days. I suppose you can dress nicer if you want, but I don't see any need to unless you have to impress the girls right away! :p

Thats why we got to get there at 8 for the lessons

Originally posted by RobbC:
•Wildpanda,
If you teach me how to dance before you guys head out to the Conga Room, then maybe I'll consider going. :) :) :cool: :) :)

The Congo room is in LA (i heard its prettu cool), I'll get more details tonight and let you all know in person thursday. Even though you dopn't know how to salsa all it takes is the lessons and a couplke of drinks and you'll do just fine.

Originally posted by melancholy:
Lizander- Hey wow.. where is this Conga Room anyway? Salsa.. that's something I've never tried before, but it sure sounds interesting.

Prolixless- Hey.. did I happen to meet you at the picnic? I felt like I was all over the place.. going out of my mind trying to remember everyone I met there. Yeah, I do go by Lanny.. had that on my name tag. I was wearing a white t-shirt and khaki shorts today if that helps at all.

I kinda wished they hadn't used those colored dots on our name tags to designate which school we would be in. I admit it would've been good to satisfy my curiousity as to what school everyone would be going to, but at the same time, it seemed to slowly segregate each class to its own later in the daytime. I would've liked to have just met people and eventually found out what school they were in.. I guess it would've been nice to not have that distinction between schools from the very start. I just hear that during the year, there aren't as many opportunities to hang out with the other disciplines.. so it would probably be a good idea to get to know some of them now.

Anyway, tonight some of us went off to Old Town Pasadena to hang out at Q's (restaurant/bar/club). I think quite a few people are off doing their own things tomorrow (Wednesday).. some have family flying in, others still have things to clean up in their apartments (like me.. heh), and maybe others will just relax. I might actually go down to Newport Beach in Orange County later in the afternoon... not sure yet though. Maybe people will take another trip down another night, but it'd be nice to get in as much R&R before life starts to become a blur.. you know what I mean?•

Hey guys, I'm a buddy of wildpanda86 and robbcast and I've checked out the conga room. It's pretty cool and they have lessons from what i remember last year on thursday night if you go early. It can get pricey to get in and so are drinks, but its probably one of the top 5 places to salsa in LA. I saw steven segal there last time. I can assure you, if you know how to salsa a little, there are plenty of women looking for partners who are willing to try.

Peace everyone,
wyldstyle2000

yeah picnic was a blast :D too bad i didn't meet everyone from SD though. i too was wondering where adismo was cause i didn't see him there as well. anyways i'm here in the pharm rooms and arnold is workin on lots of projects in here as well. well thats about it for now...had a great time in old town as well...ok see everyone tomorrow morning. oh i'm just gonna wear shorts and a shirt i think...don't we have those OMM physicals in the morning? anyways see everyone soon...

prit

yeah picnic was aight, nice way to meet a load of people, yo prit, we gotta go after those 2 chicks,

till that day

Haha.. I'd sure like to see Steven Segal salsa in tight pants with that ponytail of his... or maybe not. :p

hahaha vdub..i'd love to....but i don't think i'm the type to initiate anything...especially when you consider that we are about to get our asses handed to us on aug. 13th :D oops did i say that? i meant it will take me a week or two to get my routine down...and THEN maybe have a social life. keepin my hopes up :D ;)

prit

Hey all...is everyone ready for tomorrow? I went to the beach today and have a car sunburn...on one side only.

I know I'm a little late in posting, but the picninc was great. The dots sucked. And I still am not sure I met everyone from this thing. I guess we have the next few years to get to know each other.

See ya tomorrow.
Stephanie

Maaan!...

It's good to see my colleagues having fun and loosening up before we all start this year. Lets have a good one.

I dropped by the picnic, but was too exhausted from drivin and finally clearing a hold on my registration and bowed out. Dont hate, just cuz a bro is busy. I had on a black shirt. :cool:

See you all tomorrow morning.
AIM: adismo22

Wyldstyle,
Thanks for stopping by our post you party animal. Hope your white coat was a blast. Your goal down at St. Louis is to show 'em how we LA people party. I already did my fair share last Friday. I think I even showed 'em a little bit too much. Some people (no names mentioned of course) couldn't handle the mediocre Shark Attacks at Sharkeez. I'm sure the St. Louis folks will be a blast to kick it with. Until we meet again during the semester break, keep on hangin' bro.

whaddup whaddup,
nice to meet some of my classmates on the picnic. I'm down to hangout with you guys before schools starts, this is my e-mail: [email protected] (i don't have my own phone number yet)

- Dee

Robbc,

Don't worry, I'm doing just that and it's been great. In fact, I have a slight hangover from last night. Yikes...ok, on to day 4 of orientation.

Peace,
wyldstyle2000

Woohoo.. I woke up early for once and will be going over to campus at 8:30am (Even earlier than expected) to get my last fix of ping-pong before the tables become eternally crowded with expert players!

I'll see you all at orientation.. spread the word of SDN! *Yawn*

We're gettin closer and closer to the real thing guys. Is anyone thinking of buying equipment yet? I figured I'd wait till I could talk to an MSII about what is practical to buy.

Man, everyone has such unique names. It's cool, but what ever happened to simple names like 'Bob' and 'Joe'? hehe. I already forgot half the people I met today.

Okay, I'm off to jog the polluted city of Pomona.

Peace.

Prolixless- Man, have I met you yet? What's your name? I keep on seeing guys with long brown hair around..

Smiles- Hey.. when are you going to introduce yourself to us???? =) (And Sonal as well)

Lanny, I would have recognized your name if I had met you, so I don't think we've met yet. It's a big class tho with lots of faces and names. We're bound to bump into each other at some point. I'll be like "Hey Lanny, I'll pay you a thousand bucks to take notes for me" hehe. Seriously tho, my name is Christian. . caucasian guy with long hair.

I was curious about somethin. The folks who did our structural exams, are they students who volunteered to do the exams or are they the top students in OMM class selected to do the exams?

The people who did the structural exams are MSII's who are going to TA the OMM class for the first years... :p

thats a good question lanny, where is sonal and smiles, i pretty sure i didnt see sonal today,

oh well

What's up??

Do we need our laptops tomm??

Anyone know????

Hmm.. who was Teloola again? He/she is right though.. those are our OMM TA's for this coming semester and/or year. I recognize a few of them as ISAC and SAPP TA's so I assume that at least a few of the MS-II's who were there doing the exams performed pretty well last year.

-I'm hoping to clear up how important/essential/mandatory >Convocation< is for us on Saturday morning. We have some really long Q&A session with Dean Lenz.. hopefully someone will bring that up.. or I will ask someone on the staff about it. I definitely would mind getting a little extra sleep before the white coat ceremony.. I'm sure your families/friends would appreciate not having to wake up at 7'ish either for that 8:30 am Convocation thing.

I just told my family to show up for the white coat ceremony. They gotta drive up from San Diego and I don't think they'd be happy about having to get here at 830. What the heck is a 'convocation' anyway?

From what they said and what I heard today, convocation is an introduction to the entire school year for all the various disciplines.. so that is about a 1.5 hour ceremony with speeches, etc. for all the students in the various schools. Afterwards, the other disciplines (aside from DO) go back to campus for their respective ceremonies and we stay for white coat.

I think Convocation is similar to what we've been going through for the past two days... more inspirational speeches, more "you are the future doctors of america".. but I think the Convocation is a ceremony for the enjoyment of the parents and family.

Sigh, I wish they had air conditioning tho...there may be some natural body funk tomorrow!

--Stel :D

Back to study mode real soon! They nailed us to the board today, eh? Its all good... this is medicine after all. Wanted to wish everyone an awesome year!

I think I'll go sleep now. :D

I am setting up my new Palm Pilot Vx....what fun...

I have my clothes all ready...Yoda is long tucked into bed...I saw American Pie II tonight...funny...different than the 1st one...but not too bad...

Took the whole family with me...sister,cousin, parents, and old college roomate..

FYI....not a movie to see with the parents...just a little hint..

Till tomm...or in a few hours as the case maybe....

Yeah guys and gals.. get some sleep. We have a long convocation to go through tomorrow.. white coat shouldn't be too bad and the bbq will be pretty carefree I bet. Are you sure the auditorium doesn't have any A/C? Well, hopefully we'll be done before it gets too hot.. if the weather doesn't get any hotter than today, we should be fine since we'll end around noonish. Did y'all remember to iron your white coats?

I ended up watching Rush Hour II tonight.. it was pretty entertaining and probably more of a family movie than American Pie II.

Actually, I was getting tired of the inspirational and depressing speeches from the last few days. We've heard some of it in the past.. and we'll hear plenty of it in the future. I'd just like to get down to business with you folks.

Good luck tomorrow.. no stuttering, okay? :)

anyone down to go see american pie 2, sometime soon,
gimme an email or something

faiz

Hey Prolixless- Any clue who I am now? Heh.

Vdub- Not sure what is going on tonight.. some ISAC'ers are going to this restaurant/club in Old Town Pasadena.. it's on Delacy and Green St. I think. I think they'll be there around 9:30ish since they start charging a cover fee after that time.

As for me, not sure what I'm doing yet. I can say I was bushed after the bbq (which wasn't all that bad except for the dry chicken) and I napped like a log for awhile.

I didn't get to watch American Pie II yet and neither did the SAPP bunch who tried watching it Friday night. Maybe tonight?

- Today was definitely an experience. Convocation was shorter than I expected, but it was a pleasant surprise we didn't have to sit in there that long. It was amusing sitting through the "donning of the white coat" portion of the ceremony.. esp. being able to see some faces with their names and hometowns. It felt good to congratulate each other and shake hands with those around me after the ceremony was over. Gives you a sense that things have really started up, huh?

I forgot to mention that I liked Dr. Redding's speech today too. I felt like he touched on some good points to think about and keep in mind for the future.

Anyway, enough typing.. time to make a few phone calls and see what's happening tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.