Western/COMP Class of 2005 - part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sammy,
Getting together woudl be great....but ISAC ended last week, and SAPP ends on Friday(YEAH!) so I dunno if anyone will be at school on the 6th...
If you e-mail me....I am sure we can get some people together...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Eric714- I was sorta bored today so I decided to stop by campus and hang out in the anatomy lab with Halcyon and the SAPP folks. I ended up meeting Kendra and Doug as well.. very cool TA's who knew their stuff. After my little break, I wouldn't have minded sitting in on some of the lectures just for a little review. It does help going back into lab for a little refresher...

:confused: Hey Everyone! Does anyone know of cheap web sites/web companies where we can order gloves? Preferably the chemical purple ones so your hands won't smell like the lab. :p Thanks!

PS, Hello fellow SAPPers!

--S :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is SCRUBBS2005?????

Anyone???

Yosh- Scrubs2005 is obviously someone new.. I thought maybe a SAPP'er, but he/she would've figured out where to get gloves by now.. so it's probably one of our new classmates we haven't met yet, right???

speaking of gloves, as a non-sapper, i was wondering if anyone could inform me whether having lightly powdered gloves is ok or not... thanks... ;)
and continuing the countdown, i have four days left till the BIG move.... :eek:

has this happened to anyone yet?

After being in the anatomy lab in the afternoon i went home for dinner...(my hands where washed).

I had roast beef...which i usually like. But then i started to picture the muscles in the lab as i ate the food, then i started picturing how some of the muscles was cut as i ate the food, and then i started noticing the residual smell of the lab on my hands as i brought the food up to my mouth...fiinally i couldn't handle it any more and almost yacked!!! man i guess i couldn't eat roast beef anymore for a while...

oh well...see all of you SAPPER's tomm!!!

Hey Smiles- I don't remember anyone having powdered gloves in lab so I'm not sure if that is by preference or by some rules. I can always lend you a pair of gloves whenever we have lab though.. (small or medium) I have a ton left and I usually just grab more from work if I need.

How is your roommate doing these days anyway?

Wildpanda86- Lyzander, don't worry.. you're not alone. I've heard of other people having adverse reactions to meat after lab. Don't worry.. once you get to dissecting, you'll want to eat in the lab! As for that smell, you can either use nitrile gloves (the solid colored ones) to keep some of the stench out or just use perfumed soap and let the stench eventually lift. All that smell is mostly formaldehyde anyway heh.. be sure to wash your hands all the way up to your elbows and take off your watch!

blah blah blabbah... and i finally got my laptop and configured it yesterday. We're approaching ground zero, people. Personally thats fine with me, I can't wait. Next week is orientation, then loan disbursement, then convocation, then we can do the dam thang. C'mon Aug 13th!!

Hello all,

I just heard about this site, pretty cool...RobbC, how are ya? Hope SAPP is treating you well! See you in a few weeks!

What's up, Arnold and Eric?! Hope your are enjoying your summer, I sure am! C-ya soon!

Kira,
MS II

my experience...nitrile (purple/blue) gloves and powdered latex leaves a nasty funk on my hands. my answer to that is the ol' reliable...non-powdered LATEX!! wooo.

i can't believe i'm getting excited about gloves...must mean i'm in med school...

~pyo

oh yeah and another thing.

see you all tomorrow.
~pyo

Kira,
What's up. Hope you had a good time in Europe. As far as summer anatomy's going, the MSII's are taking good care of us. Arnold's taught us the ropes with some of the profs already, and the rest of the crew has gotten us up to par with our anatomy. Can't wait to get the year started. Anyways, see you in a few weeks.
-Rob

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. Kirk (Vince) and I are in the apartment. It is a mess. We have too much stuff.

I stopped by the school today to show my bro around and they wouldn't let me into the anatomy building. Oh well.

Hope everyone is well.
Steph

i assume COMLEX scores are out. what was COMP's passing rate?

how high does one need on boards to pass... to me it seems like alot of stress is put on just passing the test. they never seem to mention that so and so school scores highly on the test. everyone seems to pass, but who scores well. isnt that more important, espcially when residencies come around

peace

ps. robbc the pool stick is coming thursday, watch yo self

Steph,
That is really weird that they wouldn't let you in...I picked up my friend from NY...and he came to the lab and was there the whole afternoon....

I dunno...give me a buzz tomm...

Kira,
how's it going? So you were part of that group that went to Europe? Did Diana go as well?
I'm the same boat as you, I'm liking vacation too much to come back right now, especially after learning how they still haven't figured out our schedule yet. I guess some things just don't change! Are you and Diana going to live in Plum Tree again? I hear a bunch of MSII's will be over there. I'm staying in the Chino area, and in the process of moving in.

See you in a couple weeks!
Eric

Steph,
Next time you bring a friend...don't even tell the gaurd that your friend wants to see the anatomy lab. There are so many people walkling in and out that he just waves them through. That's probably how Yosh got his friend in.

Any ways...I just finally got my DSL working and it rocks!!!

Fellow SAPPER's...what is the Kaplan review course that Donna our TA was talking about...she said it is around 600 bucks. I looked online and found the books only for 399 and comes with cdrom and practice exams. Is that the same one?

Hey Eric!

Glad to hear your summer is relaxing as well! (considering this is our last vacation!) hee hee. I got back from Europe a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome! I didn't want to come back! Diana went too but not thru the Exchange program. But I did see her there!

Now I am just relaxing doing absolutely nothing and I love it! Working Montclair Clinic tonite... What's up with our class schedule? Looks like nothing's changed...class at 8am!

Yep, Plum Tree is the place to live this year! ha ha! Half our class is here! Who ya living with?

Just a note to the new MSI's...if you are gonna buy textbooks, try ecampus.com, that's where I got most of mine, it's cheaper and free shipping...that's what I did last year...I suggest buddying up with someone and buying the Embryo textbook, I didn't last year and I ended up needing it. Dr. Keuhn's lectures can be confusing at times. It's a good reference book, lots of pics...

Kira :D

Vdub- Yo Faiz.. I guess the pass rate for med schools are important for the school's name/reputation at the very least and perhaps it reflects how well the courses have been designed/taught and even how the curriculum has been planned (or maybe not.. I won't comment until I've gone through courses myself). As for how high the scores actually are once they're over the passing mark, I don't hear about that very much.. I suppose that's more of an individual thing since it will be considered during residencies. (like you said)

Steph- yeah, Yosh is right.. just walk right in with your friend. You'll be a student soon.. so walk into buildings feeling like you've been there a hundred times! (You'll probably walk in and out much more than that in the end)

Eric714- Ahh Eric.. so you'll be moving out of breezy Costa Mesa into the Empire of the Inland again, huh? Well, I'm sure you enjoyed Costa Mesa while it lasted. It was heartbreaking to move from Costa Mesa/Newport Beach to Pomona.. esp. after Yosh and Tigg saw the apartments where I had been living before The Plaza.

Wildpanda86- Nice to hear you got your DSL working.. no more Netzero, huh? If you were looking at those Kaplan board review books, I guess that's the one your TA was talking about. If you can get them for a cheaper price that would be awesome too... I don't think taking the Kaplan course itself is really necessary.

So you SAPP'ers all going out tomorrow night, right? I'll bet after your mock practical today you'll go out anyway.. you guys seem to have learned your stuff pretty well already! I can honestly say that I would recommend taking a summer course for any incoming students.. that extra preparation going into the semester should help a lot.

Thanks for the info everyone...I looked like I was showing my bro around. Hard to hide it when you are walking in and out of the buildings.

SO when do we get to put faces to names...I know Yosh and Vdub.

Talk to everyone soon
Steph

Sorry to intrude on your "happy little home" ;) especially since I'm not a student at Western (yet :confused: :D ), but I visited your lab today. I walked right in. It was really interesting. Good luck on your midterm tomorrow! Don't forget to party while you still can. I'm currently on lockdown till that darned MCAT 16 days from now :eek: !

Hey Eric! guess what? I'm living in the ol'folks place across the school's parking lot. Do you need help moving? Here's a good tip- stand on 3rd street and you'll bump into 'Melancholy' who always happens to be walking around. He will move all your heavy stuff 4 ya! heeehee :D (Thanx M) Paul/Amit wanted to play SC yesterday, but I don't think they got around to it. Maybe we can play today/soon...

Hey Miles,

I'll be back in town for a few days starting Monday night. You think we can get a game of SC going on Tuesday?

Arnold

Hey folks,

Steph- Sorry I've been running around doing some errands.. things I should've done earlier but haven't gotten to till now. Hopefully I'll get plenty done today and I'll have more time to goof off later in the weekend and next week. Moving in going okay? How do you like the weather compared to Vegas? :p

Scubadiva- Thanks for visiting us.. always glad to see more interested students. Keep it up.. you'll stomp that MCAT!

Miles333- Yeesh.. I have wonderful timing when it comes to helping people move. Reminds me of this moving company I used to see around.. called something like "Hungry/Desperate Students Moving Co.".

So when do I get invited to play SC? :D I gotta drive down to OC to finally get some stuff taken care of.. work, old apartment, haircut, and ooh.. the Vietnamese sandwiches! (I should bring a few extra back for those who haven't tried them yet). Banh mi dac biet!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone here have a tally of how many COMP 2005 students are posting on this thread? Just curious to see how many of our 175 student class are here.

:D Hey Everyone! Ok, I guess I didn't intro myself... This is Stella, one of the SAPPers.

In reference to the gloves, I tried many of those web sites that Kendra (one of our TAs) gave us, and I came up with nothing (maybe I didn't look in the right place, I don't know). But no fear! A nice fireman was kind enough to help me get the nitrile gloves.

I've never tried them... do they make your hands smell funny?

--Stella (MSI) :p

Hey Scrubs2005- Stella, you had me completely fooled there. I guess there could be some leftover "scent" from the nitrile gloves, but compared to the smell from the formaldehyde/cadaver/lab, it probably isn't as bad.

TNT- Hey, have you come onto campus to look around recently? When are we going to meet you? I would guess at least 10-15 and even venture to say as many as 20 c/o 2005 COMP'ers have posted on here. I say at least 10 because that's how many showed up to the D&B outing, then there were a couple in ISAC that didn't go to that.. and we've picked up quite a few more from SAPP and others who are recently moving into the area. Don't forget the handful of MS-II's we have as well. :)

What's going on this weekend? Yosh says beach... I have been thinking beach for awhile.. anyone else say beach?

whats up people, how many of u guys are going to the picnic, where is it at, memorial park?? does anyone have directions, i dont think i recieved anything from them

oh and where is it we have to go to configure our cpus

peace

Huntington Beach was nice on Fri. Spent 3 hours around the pier. Water is cold though. Who else is going to the BBQ, I havent sent my RSVP card yet... I'll show up with my Carls food and kick it with yall. hehe. :)

Adismo- Hey.. if you are going to the picnic, they have a ton of food there already.. so no need to bring any. Food, games, skits put on by the MS-II's.. should be fun. Even if you don't feel like going or want to do something else, I suggest going for a little while.. at least to hang out for a bit and be a good sport. Staying longer would be more fun as well if you didn't have anything else planned.. and it will give you a chance to see the other classes.

The picnic is at Memorial Park in Claremont which is on 8th street and Indian Hills Blvd. I suggest getting there by getting onto Indian Hill Blvd. however you can (you can easily take Holt or I-10 eastbound to Indian Hills Blvd). At that point, just go north and you will eventually hit the park on the right side.

Vdub- I hear the new IT center is in the basement of the new library... take the stairs down from the lobby. If you get lost, just ask the people at the desk. The IT folks should be able to configure your laptop for you.

Bar hopping would've been fun tonight had I not been forgotten about :p. Oh well, I spent about 1.5 hours in traffic earlier today driving around OC.. and you guys are probably going out a ton the next couple of days anyway. At least I can rest up tonight... heh.

Yosh- Next time I need directions, pass the phone to someone who can talk at my speed. Haha.. maybe it is a coincidence, but I seem to lose a few important details whenever I am getting directions to a person's apartment. I'll figure it out some day.. seems like some evil conspiracy to make me get a cell phone.. hah!

hey so when do i get invited along w/melancholy for some SC?!!! anyways i'm down in SD till sunday...so i'll be back up tomorrow. see ya soon

prit

Hey Melancholy,

I checked out the school a few weeks back and went into the bookstore. Other than that i haven't had the chance to do too much exploring. I was up in the bay area most of the summer, and recently drove back several days ago to move some of my things down here. very busy getting things ready for school.

Just wanted to check in...still feeling pretty BANGED-UP after last night's events.....WOW!!!
The 2 am last call was no where in sight, and I was quite ****-canned and completely out of my mind...
Well...I am quite hung over...hmm...was it the 3 bottles of Merlot during dinner? Was it the 16oz Coors Light bottles that I was "double fisting"? or perhaps the 96oz Shark Attack buckets???

Needless to say....I am a WRECK....

My roomate is here..and I now have furniture..its very 70's loungy..bright orange leather couch...long lamps..and some throws...All that we need is a leisure suit..and we'll be good to go...

I am gonna go back to sleep...because at this point...I think I would much rather be dead....than breathing...

Thanks for a great nite...!!!

Had a great time with you too..Ms Scrubbs!!

Did we REALLY go to Jack in the Box??? :confused: :confused:

Yosh- You'll have to tell me what this Jack in the Box stuff was about. I did hear that Scrubs2005 is quite the party animal! You can tell me all your Vegas stories when you get back as well.

TNT- You planning on attending that picnic on Tuesday at Memorial Park?

Enjoy the weekend while it lasts.. in about a week we will be heading in the MS-I Amphitheatre forever! Hahaha! On that note, anyone planning anymore trips before orientation starts? Beach/bonfire/bbq/vegas/hiking/etc.?

Melancholy,

I probably won't make it to the picnic because i drove back up north over the weekend to drive some of my things down here. I'll be driving back on Wednesday the day before school starts. See you guys on thursday.

Urgent...

can someone please tell me when orientation starts??

on the orientation sheet they send me, it stated that orientation started on thursday, and the picnic was optional.

but on the COMP website, it said orientaiton was from aug 6-11, which starts on a monday. Whats the deal with the conflicting information.

Hello Everyone, I haven't posted in a while so I figured I would just throw out a hello. Finally finished unpacking boxes. After Fri. night with Yosh and everyone I was nothing but beer and bones Sat. morning. It did take me a while to get up Sat. but I eventually became vertical. If anyone is looking for some last minute outings before class starts next Monday, let me know. I'm in for any of the 3 B's: biking, beach, or bars. Let me know. One week to go!

There we go....just noticed I had to change my profile...I'm no longer in Ft. Worth, TX... I'm a west coaster now....

Ok I actually have a serious question because of this conflict I came up with: On the last schedule I received, it seemed like other than the picnic on Tuesday, we didn't have any orientation events scheduled until Thursday, August 9. However, I've heard word-of-mouth from another student that our orientation stuff actually begins on Wed, Aug. 8th. This wouldn't have gotten to me except that Dean Lenz sent a letter mentioning orientation activities from Aug 8, 9, and 10.

I guess my question is, has anyone gotten his/her hands on an updated orientation schedule? I know it "might" affect a few students who plan on coming back on Wednesday if there was actually something planned on Wednesday. Most likely nothing will go on till Thursday, but I just want to double-check to play it safe. Perhaps I'll have to pay campus a visit on Monday.

hey lanny, when did u get that info, geez i havent gotten **** in the mail forever, this is ticking me off, the last i heard there was a picnic on the 7th, and orinetation 9th and 10

let me know

OK, i feel safe.

I will be there on the first day of orientation. If you look on the westernu website under events, it says that orientation starts on Aug 6. If that were the case, i would be in big trouble.

so its settled , this stuff is startin on thurday right????

Hi all!!! I hope this information helps.

Today I spoke with Donna at the switch board and Christine at the DO student activities office.

This is our schedule: (dates and changes to schedule are in bold)

Tuesday, Aug 7, 2001
Picnic 3-8 pm at Memorial Park (8th street and Indian Hills in Claremont)

Wednesday, Aug 8, 2001
Nothing for us DO's!!!!! Nothing!! Sleep in and enjoy it.

Thursday, Aug 9, 2001
9-12 Interdisciplinary Orientation in the Amphitheater

12-1 Lunch

1-5 Student Processing (Registration, ID Pictures, Yearbook Pictures, etc.) SO everyone look pretty

Friday, Aug 10, 2001
9-12 Orientation in Prem Reddy Hall

12-1 Lunch

1-5 More orientation!!!! (look at the full schedule for all details)

Saturday, Aug 11, 2001
8:30-10 Convocation
Gardiner Spring Auditorium
1245 N. Euclid Ave
Ontario, CA

11-12 White Coat Ceremony
Same Place

12-2 President's Parents Day BBQ
Founders Park and Student Commons

Aug 13/14, 2001
First Day of school Aug 13; time TBA
6:30-8:00pm President's Ice Cream Social
A-L on Aug 13; M-Z on Aug 14

Hopefully this helps everyone. If info you has differs from this, call Donna and Christine!!

Steph

Hi Arnold! Tuesday, I plan on going to the pik-i-nik. I assume you're going too. Then I might substitute at Montclair for Sam that evening. If u want to play in the daytime b4 3pm then gimme a call. I'll be free all week too. Amit & I tried out a hub last week and couldn't get a network started. Maybe its the missing patches and new computer configs. :confused: Anyway talk to ya laters!

excellent work steph

what time do parents have to come on saturday, is it 830 or 11

Slehrner- Good work Steph! I'm proud of ya! Thanks a ton for clearing that up.. now Wednesday is open for sure!

I think I have the same question as Vdub.. what's the difference between Convocation and the White Coat Ceremony? It's a matter of being there early or later in the morning for the guests (of which I have none so far.. :/ )

Miles333- I guess you're not going up to the bay area? Keep me in the SC loop! :p

Hey everyone...whats going on!!!

Arnold or anyone else,

Well i finally got my Mac laptop...(this thing rocks!!!)
Who can I take my computer to to get it set up with everything I need for school like software and stuff. Also as far as getting it configured for the school network, IT should be able to doit right?

laterz,
Lizander Pandy

i know i met some of you the other day, but because of my limited mental capacity i forgot who the hell everyone was!

anyways, hope to see you people on tuesday if not at some drinking fest that is bound to leave john in some drunken funk the day after...

peace to ya all.
~pyo

Status
Not open for further replies.