Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the interview open or closed file? If it is open file, how do we answer "why medicine" without reiterating our PS? In the email we received it says they will have a copy of our AACOMAS academic profile. So they can only see out academic history and nothing else during the interview?:confused:

edit: nevermind; its says they have the option to view our application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty high stats for all of the IIs. Very impressive for all of you, and rather disappointing for us underdogs.

I released my primary app on 7/19 but I still haven't received a secondary invite. Is this normal or do they screen their applicants first? This is one of my top DO schools and really want to get it sent in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I released my primary app on 7/19 but I still haven't received a secondary invite. Is this normal or do they screen their applicants first? This is one of my top DO schools and really want to get it sent in.

they do screen.

Pretty high stats for all of the IIs. Very impressive for all of you, and rather disappointing for us underdogs.

The first round (or possibly few rounds) of interviews will always go to those with crazy awesome stats. These schools know that they are all competing for the top individuals and want them all to interview early so they can reel them in. I wouldn't get discouraged so quick. The class that entered in August of 2011 had a cGPA of 3.53, a sGPA of 3.47 and an MCAT of 28.

Last edited:
The first round (or possibly few rounds) of interviews will always go to those with crazy awesome stats. These schools know that they are all competing for the top individuals and want them all to interview early so they can reel them in. I wouldn't get discouraged so quick. The class that entered in August of 2011 had a cGPA of 3.53, a sGPA of 3.47 and an MCAT of 28.

this calms my nerves down a bit. thanks for the updated info.

I was talking with Jeanie (the admissions counselor at the Lebanon campus) and she said that the students that just started in August 2012 had slightly higher stats than the class that started in 2011. If I remember right, everything went up about 0.1 point.

dsoz

I was talking with Jeanie (the admissions counselor at the Lebanon campus) and she said that the students that just started in August 2012 had slightly higher stats than the class that started in 2011. If I remember right, everything went up about 0.1 point.

dsoz

Uh oh. That puts a bit more pressure on me for the interview.

That's not a given by any means.

In the case of Western, 83% of the class of 2015 was IS.
Honestly there is no preference. But self selection plays a huge role in the class make up. Lets say you are an applicant with average stats according to the WesternU website with about a 3.5 gpa and a 28 MCAT. For a lot of OOS applicants those stats would make you competitive enough for state MD schools as well. This is not the case with California applicants where the state schools are much more competitive. This is the reason for the high number of california residents that make up our class, not any active discrimination by the admission staff.

I compiled a large list of previously asked questions at WesternU interviews. Here they are and hope they help. I am going to go over these till I feel like dying.

Why a physician/medicine?
Why D.O?
Why WesternU?
What makes a good leader?
Explain your journey to osteopathic medicine and what attracted you to WesternU.
Talk about any leadership roles.
Where do you stand in the current political debate on health care?
What is one bad decision you have made recently, and what did you learn from it?
Why physician?
What was your favorite premed course and why?
What events brought you to this point in your life?
Explain your research. Do you want to do research while you are a student?
What would you do for healthcare with 100million?
How did your life experiences lead you to apply for medical school?
How did you arrive to wanting to practice medicine?
How did you arrive to a career in medicine? What have you done to confirm your interest in medicine?
Do you know what field you want to go into?
What experiences made you interested in medicine?
Tell us about yourself.
Why should we take you?
What are you strengths? What are your weaknesses?
What skills will you bring to our school?
Talk about yourself, your journey towards medicine (osteopathic).
If you were accepted to both MD and DO schools, which would you choose?
If the government gave you money for research, what would you choose cancer or AIDS?
Explain your leadership experience and how it relates your choice to apply for medical school
How did you prepare for this interview?

Recall and elaborate on a situation in which your role as a leader came into play.
Why the 6 in VR?
What was the last book you read for fun?
Your partner and you have a project that is worth 25% of your grade, but your partner isn’t doing the work. Your partner is your interviewer. Have a conversation.
When were you an advocate for someone?
What was your favorite organic chemistry reaction? Explain it. How do you make a C-C bond?
As a member of an ethics committee, what criteria would you use to validate revoking a doctor’s license to practice?
If you had a million dollars and were to donate it to HIV/Cancer research, how would you decide how much to give each?
You come upon a car accident. There is a mother and her 2 year old son. They are both going to die and you can only save one. Who are you going to save and why?
We want to know how you handle conflict. Can you tell us about a personal conflict you were involved in and how you resolved it?
Tell us about a failure in your life.
Would you attend an osteopathic program over an allopathic program?
What is the most exciting thing you’ve ever done in your life?
What about you (potential weakness) could create a medical liability for yourself or your patients?
Talk about one of your fears.
What is holistic care exactly?
What makes you more qualified than other candidates?
How would you explain to someone what a D.O is?
What was the most difficult time you had as a volunteer in the ER?
What are some examples of you demonstrating leadership that would be applicable to succeeding as a medical student?
Name and discuss a health care issue today.
Tell me about someone in your life who is different and who you learned something from.
What is one characteristic that would make you a good physician?
When do you think you were the most responsible?
Describe a specific example from one of you premed classes that impressed you.
Describe a position in which you had too many things to do at the same time. What was the result and how did you handle it?
Address a particular point in your application.
If two people needed a liver transplant – your best friend and a potential Nobel prize winner – who would you give it to and why?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Define ethics.
If a couple had a child that needed a blood transfusion but their religion didn’t allow it, would you get a court order to go ahead with the transfusion?
If you had to care for an illegal immigrant, would you?
How would you describe eugenics in a simple, layman way?

I compiled a large list of previously asked questions at WesternU interviews. Here they are and hope they help. I am going to go over these till I feel like dying.

Why D.O?
Why WesternU?
Explain your journey to osteopathic medicine and what attracted you to WesternU.
What is one bad decision you have made recently, and what did you learn from it?
Why physician?
How did you arrive to a career in medicine? What have you done to confirm your interest in medicine?
Tell us about yourself.
Why should we take you?
If the government gave you money for research, what would you choose cancer or AIDS?
Explain your leadership experience and how it relates your choice to apply for medical school

Recall and elaborate on a situation in which your role as a leader came into play.
Why the 6 in VR?
Your partner and you have a project that is worth 25% of your grade, but your partner isn’t doing the work. Your partner is your interviewer. Have a conversation.
What was your favorite organic chemistry reaction? Explain it. How do you make a C-C bond?
As a member of an ethics committee, what criteria would you use to validate revoking a doctor’s license to practice?
If you had a million dollars and were to donate it to HIV/Cancer research, how would you decide how much to give each?
You come upon a car accident. There is a mother and her 2 year old son. They are both going to die and you can only save one. Who are you going to save and why?
We want to know how you handle conflict. Can you tell us about a personal conflict you were involved in and how you resolved it?
What about you (potential weakness) could create a medical liability for yourself or your patients?
What are some examples of you demonstrating leadership that would be applicable to succeeding as a medical student?
Tell me about someone in your life who is different and who you learned something from.
Describe a position in which you had too many things to do at the same time. What was the result and how did you handle it?
If two people needed a liver transplant – your best friend and a potential Nobel prize winner – who would you give it to and why?
Define ethics.
If a couple had a child that needed a blood transfusion but their religion didn’t allow it, would you get a court order to go ahead with the transfusion?

GREAT! Thanks for posting. question: are these from last cycle's year or do they go further back?

Why D.O?
Why WesternU?
Why physician?
Tell us about yourself.
Why should we take you?

Why the 6 in VR?
Define ethics.

i_love_you_gif_5.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview here and less than outstanding stats, so don't lose hope.

3.7 overall
3.6 science
28M MCAT

non-traditional, OOS

I have an interview here and less than outstanding stats, so don't lose hope.

3.7 overall
3.6 science
28M MCAT

non-traditional, OOS

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get the II and when were you complete?

Those of you with the 3.8s, are those from undergrad or after a postbac/masters program? Thanks guys, and once again... CONGRATS! :thumbup:

UCSD Undergrad. Completed secondary July 29, Interview Aug 17.

So I am having trouble answering "Why WesternU?". I'm an OOS applicant (Canadian) and the real reason I want to apply here is because I hear that it is a good school, it is state of the art, has good previous residency matches and is in CALI. I also want to leave my area and move elsewhere for the experience. This probably isn't the best answer. What can I say to make me sound better? What are your reasons?

Anybody going to be around the night of September 7th before the first interview day? It would be cool to grab dinner and ease the tension. If anyone is interested, PM me.

I was just wondering,,, all of you who have gotten interviews here, have you guys all taken one full year of biochemistry?

I have good GPA and have taken only one biochem. I guess I could take the second portion this coming semester, but I rather not and just take it easy and go to interviews and etc...

Should I or shouldn't I?

I was just wondering,,, all of you who have gotten interviews here, have you guys all taken one full year of biochemistry?

I have good GPA and have taken only one biochem. I guess I could take the second portion this coming semester, but I rather not and just take it easy and go to interviews and etc...

Should I or shouldn't I?

I would if you think you can handle it but you don't need it by any means. I have done only one semester of biochem and I got an interview.

Should I or shouldn't I?

I am pretty sure most premeds have only taken 1 semester/quarter of biochemistry. My school didn't even have such a thing as 1 whole year of biochem.

I am pretty sure most premeds have only taken 1 semester/quarter of biochemistry. My school didn't even have such a thing as 1 whole year of biochem.

just that their website says that a full year of biochem is STRONGLY recommended

just that their website says that a full year of biochem is STRONGLY recommended

lol they wish... nobody's gonna do a whole year of biochem just for this school (with the notable exception of biochem majors).

most bio major, who make up majority of matriculants, have not taken a full year of biochem. As long as you have taken a semester/quarter of biochem, you should be fine. if you still need a confirmation, call them and ask.

lol they wish... nobody's gonna do a whole year of biochem just for this school (with the notable exception of biochem majors).

I took a full year of biochem and it was one of my most enjoyable courses. If you can take a full year you might as well. Not only is it interesting, but it brings all your previous science work full circle. Your going to be taking it in medical school anyway it can't hurt to have some prior exposure.

Also it may have helped my application, I got an early interview with quite mediocre stats .... 3.7/27

I took a full year of biochem and it was one of my most enjoyable courses. If you can take a full year you might as well. Not only is it interesting, but it brings all your previous science work full circle. Your going to be taking it in medical school anyway it can't hurt to have some prior exposure.

Also it may have helped my application, I got an early interview with quite mediocre stats .... 3.7/27

Those stats aren't actually mediocre for this and many other DO schools.

really, not to brag, i have a slightly better stats than that, and I have taken one semesters of biochem and just because I didn't take the second portion, i doubt that is what didn't allow me the early interview... i think...

really, not to brag, i have a slightly better stats than that, and I have taken one semesters of biochem and just because I didn't take the second portion, i doubt that is what didn't allow me the early interview... i think...

Right, that was sort of my point -- it's an unrealistic requirement and the school probably realizes that.

Biochem is not a requirement. II for 9/8 and I have not taken any biochem classes.

Biochem is not a requirement. II for 9/8 and I have not taken any biochem classes.

but why would they underline it and say it is STRONGLY required?

I just don't wanna fork up another 50 for the text book and the tuition fee to take the second semester of biochem if i don't have too.

i still have not received an invite

I just don't wanna fork up another 50 for the text book and the tuition fee to take the second semester of biochem if i don't have too.

when were you complete?
i haven't taken any biochem and i just got my II call today.
i was complete on 8/10

when were you complete?
i haven't taken any biochem and i just got my II call today.
i was complete on 8/10

they never sent me a completed email or anything like that, but checking their webstar thingy, they have received everything and the last thing they received was on 8/13

they never sent me a completed email or anything like that, but checking their webstar thingy, they have received everything and the last thing they received was on 8/13

same 8/10 was just when they received my last letter. just give it some time!

hey this is probably a silly question, but on their secondary essays does the 1650 character limit include spaces?

I was complete in mid-July and have an LOR from a Western grad, but still no interview invite! :(

Whatever, though! I have 5 DO interviews and 1 MD interview, so take that Western!

hey this is probably a silly question, but on their secondary essays does the 1650 character limit include spaces?

yes. A space is considered a character. So is punctuation.

dsoz

I was complete in mid-July and have an LOR from a Western grad, but still no interview invite! :(

Whatever, though! I have 5 DO interviews and 1 MD interview, so take that Western!

that's awesome, congrats! and no worries, they'll get to you : )

I took a full year of biochem to help boost my app because my GPA is kinda mediocre. My first biochem class was an accelerated graduate level biochem which combined biochem 1 and 2 into one brutal semester. Then I skipped to biochem 3 after. I even got A's in those classes and no interview invite. I think it's good to have at least ONE semester of biochem but it's obviously not necessary for two. :|
Plenty of people have gotten II without a full year. If you think you can do well and if you need an app booster then taking a full year is probably a good idea but if your GPA is solid and you already have 1 semester of biochem then I really don't think a second semester is necessary. I will admit though, I REALLY enjoyed biochem and I'm really glad I took a full year.

Last edited:
omg, i am going bonkers, please give me an ii here

complete 8/10, interview invite today 8/21

yeah, what are yous stats anyways? the school informed me that it takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for the completed apps to be reviewed.

yeah, what are yous stats anyways? the school informed me that it takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for the completed apps to be reviewed.

Honestly, I'm pretty average across the board. 3.5 science GPA, 3.61 cumulative GPA. 27Q MCAT. Live in Michigan.

It definitely seems random with how they are going about scheduling interviews though, for all schools. I applied to two other DO schools way earlier than this one and heard nothing from them yet. So don't get too frustrated about it...you will all get invites eventually! : )

Six interviews? That's great! Congratulations!

I'm also waiting to hear from Western. It's my top DO choice. I already have a scheduled interview in CA in October, so it would be nice if they send me an invitation some time around then, so that I don't have to fly back. Though, I think this is the only school I'd be willing to fly back to interview.

:xf: