This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What you mean?
What's the comparison point? If a nurse only goes through nursing school, then nursing school is going to be hard. However, there's no reference point of comparison to say nursing school was easier than X or harder than Y. It's going to seem like everything is hard when you have nothing else as a point of comparison.

What's the comparison point? If a nurse only goes through nursing school, then nursing school is going to be hard. However, there's no reference point of comparison to say nursing school was easier than X or harder than Y. It's going to seem like everything is hard when you have nothing else as a point of comparison.
Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Pina Colada makes a good point. There does exist RNs that have then went on to med school though.

For these reasons, dentistry, medicine and pediatric medicine are the same.

Let me be honest. My sister recently became a nurse. Nursing school is not easy. Masters and Doctorate NP programs are not easy either. Lots of reading and many assignments and lots of papers.

The difficulty of nursing schools is mostly dependant on the specific school. I have schools in my area that are full time and frequently reduce their class sizes each semester due to difficulty. A good friend of mine has been in said program for 3years (2 year program) because of repeating semesters.
I also work with some nurses who went to “one class a week” school and got mostly busy work and at the end had to run into the NCLEX blind and self study.

Masters and DNP vary also but of the roughly 15 nurses I have worked with who worked full time and finished their NPs, all exams are online and so open-book and open-quizlet with common lenghty papers and then all of a sudden they are on the same grounding as the PAs I work with in the hospital.

Why can’t you get your heart set on podiatry?

Why didn’t you like the dental option?

Looked into optometry?

Sure, I'll explain where I stand on each of those three. That's probably a good idea in case I'm looking at any of them wrong.

Podiatry: 5 years (deadlines passed for this year so 1 year of waiting +4)
PROS
--Surgery is actually a pipe dream of mine. I would love to do this for a living.
CONS (none of these are deal breakers per say, just the complicating factors)
--PashaOdesit highlighted the main one- I need to be able to handle the intense schooling. Can I? I don't actually know. It would be a really costly and painful mistake if I tried and it turned out I couldn't. It would haunt me with regret if I didn't try and it turned out I could, but it's such an expensive gamble, not just monetarily. The underlying medical conditions and some of the defects that made me so sick are still present, they're just controlled. I've been doing what I can to asses my own limits, it's part of why I'm in a Master's program, but I don't think I've found a comparable stress for the these schools yet. Until I do it's extremely hard to asses to what extent these anxieties are accurate. I'm at risk for both taking on more than I can handle and selling myself short. Does this make sense? And I know I'm just going to have to figure this out for myself and decide. I'm just not sure how to solve this problem yet.
--Debt. I know incurring debt may be necessary but all the Podiatry school's I've looked at seem pretty expensive. There also appears to very little financial aid/scholarships.
--I am admittedly burnt out. That's not to say I can't handle ANY further schooling, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit the aversion currently.
I'm hopeful this is temporary. Plus I wouldn't be starting until the following fall so that's a whole year during which I can recover from burnout hopefully.
--All the podiatry schools are very far from where I live. That means I'd also be removing support connections, and cheaper living options. Again not a deal breaker, just looking at logistics.

Dentistry: 5-6 or 5-7 years (not sure if I'd be accepted on first round)
PROS
--would enjoy the work lifestyle (after graduation)
--good pay
CONS
--VERY Competitive- might get rejected at least once, maybe more.
--see cons for podiatry, same deal with unknown and possibly lower stress limit.
--Also very expensive even though it'd be in state.

Optometry: 5 years
PROS
--I would be happy doing this work too, not a bad lifestyle
--it's potentially cheaper than either dentistry or podiatry, if I make it into the right school
--the schools are closer to home
CONS
--would still be at least 100k in debt even if I made it in the cheaper school
--see cons for podiatry

That's how I see things anyway. Hope this helps clarify what I meant.

Last edited:
For these reasons, dentistry, medicine and pediatric medicine are the same.

Let me be honest. My sister recently became a nurse. Nursing school is not easy. Masters and Doctorate NP programs are not easy either. Lots of reading and many assignments and lots of papers.

I agree, they are the same in that regard.

To address the nursing options
I know nursing isn't easy (let's establish there isn't going to be an easy option! haha), but there is more flexibility here should things get rocky at any point. That in itself is very helpful given my situation.

I'm also not completely against school despite the burnout. Honestly one of the reasons for the burnout is I've grown jaded to school... specifically being required to take classes that are extremely time consuming, hard to ace, and unrelated to medicine. I'm wondering if being in a program like nursing would be better since there's more practicality to the courses. The goal is clearer. I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but that would be more helpful. I just hadn't looked into it to deeply before because I didn't know about the accelerated programs.

Also I will add, one thing I have assessed about my stress level. I am far more adept at handling stress from work than stress from school. Not because work is easy either. It certainly also helps that one incurs independence compared to the other which incurs debt.

True. Only one way to find out then.

The difficulty of nursing schools is mostly dependant on the specific school. I have schools in my area that are full time and frequently reduce their class sizes each semester due to difficulty. A good friend of mine has been in said program for 3years (2 year program) because of repeating semesters.
I also work with some nurses who went to “one class a week” school and got mostly busy work and at the end had to run into the NCLEX blind and self study.

Masters and DNP vary also but of the roughly 15 nurses I have worked with who worked full time and finished their NPs, all exams are online and so open-book and open-quizlet with common lenghty papers and then all of a sudden they are on the same grounding as the PAs I work with in the hospital.

That's important to note. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm still researching the schools in my area. I'd have to be very disciplined if I wanted to take the online route the whole way. Although the flexibility is helpful, that makes it possible to cut corners that shouldn't be cut.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned cardiovascular perfusionist/extracorporeal technologist. That was my backup plan. You run the bypass machine during open heart surgery and make about 100k a year doing it. Most programs are 2 years, some less. And in most cases it's a masters degree. I would look into it if I was you. Texas heart institute has a year long program.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, also keep in mind professions that require continuing education requirements, or needing to re-certify every 7 years. Healthcare is a rapidly evolving field, and most professions make you keep up to date with stuff. Lifelong learning.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned cardiovascular perfusionist/extracorporeal technologist. That was my backup plan. You run the bypass machine during open heart surgery and make about 100k a year doing it. Most programs are 2 years, some less. And in most cases it's a masters degree. I would look into it if I was you. Texas heart institute has a year long program.

To be able to work the bypass machine sounds amazing. Thanks for mentioning this! I did not know that wasn't the job of a doctor or CRNA. wow

Okay I think current plan is to acquire prerequisites for an accelerated BSN and cardiovascular perfusionist (same classes needed to apply for either one). Also while I'm at it, just keep testing myself stress wise to see how much I can stand through the master's program I'm finishing.

If I can't handle things academically beyond this, I can be an RN via accelerated BSN and certification.

But if I can handle things, I can move forward down multiple roads from there.

Last edited:
OP, also keep in mind professions that require continuing education requirements, or needing to re-certify every 7 years. Healthcare is a rapidly evolving field, and most professions make you keep up to date with stuff. Lifelong learning.

Thanks for the tip. Don't worry, I'm not anti-learning! haha
I actually really like the idea of refreshing and updating material every few years. I think I will eventually get over the burnout. I think it's already gotten better since starting this thread honestly. It's hard to focus on school when the whole time you know your game plan is sub par. Now I have some clearer, more imminent goals which is really helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like that medicine is practical and purposeful (and as a bonus, fulfilling). It takes research and applies it. It requires studying, but you get to a point where it's hands on. The idealist side of me loved the idea of helping people heal with my own two hands. This is part of why I always do really well in labs. I'm naturally inclined towards research (especially when combined with application) being careful, thorough, and meticulous. Previously I thought this was the side of medicine I liked more, but right now I'm uncertain. So far, research is fulfilling in that I know I'm not wasting my brain, but I'm not keen on how much it feels more like school than work. This might be because I'm working at the same school I'm attending...

In terms of supporting people, I'm decent, but not exceptional generally speaking, nor do I crave it the way some people do. Where I am adept is with people who are socially awkward, introverted, special needs, nervous, standoffish, etc. I do have a little patient experience through a charity that visits and sick kids and their families in the hospital. That's where I learned I'm actually good at putting people at ease. Even when they're so nervous or overwhelmed they're literally hiding in the corner away from everyone, I know how to help them.
I thought this specific skill would make me a good doctor since communication is so important. If I'm able to work with people who struggle in that regard, then I'd be sure that despite any of these sorts of difficulties, they got the care they needed.

Does this help at all? I hope this wasn't just rambling.

I'm a little biased based on my background in the field, but what I read in this post seemed to strongly suggest you like psychology.

You like research, clinical psychologists are huge in research (PhD, not so much PsyD).
You like being methodical, BCBAs (Board Certified Behavioral Analysts, can be masters or doctoral level) use extremely precise and methodical treatment regimes to help instil appropriate behaviors in a client (including autism spectrum, developmentally disabled, anxiety, and depression) which also hits your appreciation of those with special needs.

Clinical Psychology can take the form of several different therapy modalities, including Cognitive Behavioral, Person Centered, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, etc. There is a therapy modality that can fit your personal taste fairly well.

I'd look into the field, it seems like it could be a good fit for you. Don't believe the stereotype that therapy is just sitting on a couch and asking, 'how does that make you feel?' It is definitely a field that you can find purpose and fulfilment in.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a little biased based on my background in the field, but what I read in this post seemed to strongly suggest you like psychology.

You like research, clinical psychologists are huge in research (PhD, not so much PsyD).
You like being methodical, BCBAs (Board Certified Behavioral Analysts, can be masters or doctoral level) use extremely precise and methodical treatment regimes to help instil appropriate behaviors in a client (including autism spectrum, developmentally disabled, anxiety, and depression) which also hits your appreciation of those with special needs.

Clinical Psychology can take the form of several different therapy modalities, including Cognitive Behavioral, Person Centered, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, etc. There is a therapy modality that can fit your personal taste fairly well.

I'd look into the field, it seems like it could be a good fit for you. Don't believe the stereotype that therapy is just sitting on a couch and asking, 'how does that make you feel?' It is definitely a field that you can find purpose and fulfilment in.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm looking into it.

Just read through this thread and a couple more I haven’t seen mentioned are occupational therapy and speech therapy.

I have a lot of friends going into those fields. Both are good, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: 1 user
Podiatry was always my back up.
PA has a ton of hoops to jump through to get accepted and I never enjoyed the idea of being a floor nurse prior to attending an NP school.

PA has a ton of hoops to jump through to get accepted and I never enjoyed the idea of being a floor nurse prior to attending an NP school.

TUNCOM MHS program is linked to PA/DO. This years MHS students were 50-50 and almost all got accepted into PA/DO.

Hi folks,

I'm currently in the middle of a Master's program. Trying to earn a new GPA. Currently I'm at a 3.53. I've gotten the hardest classes over with so hopefully it'll get up to 3.7 or so when done.
My undergrad GPA was 3.0 which is humiliating.
In undergrad I was severely sick for 3/4 of my years, undergoing treatment, and needing surgery. Instead of resigning, I trudged on. This was a HUGE mistake (if anyone else is in a similar situation, please don't make this mistake! It's miserable!) I know that now, but the damage is done. I'm now pretty horribly burnt out. I cannot describe how much I now loathe studying. I don't know if it's because I now associate schoolwork with the time I spent ill and in pain or if it's because I worked so hard just to barely pass (no amount of studying is going to let you do well when you have swollen, malformed organs preventing you from sleeping and a shot immune system landing you with severe infection after infection)
Worse yet I was so sick, I couldn't get very much clinical experience at all. I was literally too sick to be around patients!

Now I'm finally well; finally a normal, decently competent human being again. I'm currently trying to get a job with clinical experience. No luck yet... I wish all the time I spent as the patient counted! haha

I'm just not sure I can handle medical school. Even though I'm no longer downright horrible in classes, I still find myself hating studying. The idea of burying myself in the books for 5 more years while accumulating massive debt fills me with dread. I just spent undergrad either delirious or dead set on medical school, never really gave myself the chance to consider other options. I'm currently looking into clinical/medical laboratory science right now. It doesn't sound bad, but giving up the med school dream just hurts like hell, I feel like a failure.
Dread or failure can't be my only choices, I have to find another option.

I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions: to help lay the old dream to rest or revive it. I just need to do something with myself.

I have been a Medical Laboratory Scientist (state licensed and certified by the ASCP) for four years now. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it. PM me if you like.

Thanks for the point, I definitely respect podiatry a lot and it's really interesting. Just trying to balance interest with other factors.
OP, I just re-read your initial thread... so you don't want to be in school another 4 yrs + residency
In that case, PA is the clear answer with solid earning potential and a growing prestige (you literally act as the attending in many situations)

OP, I just re-read your initial thread... so you don't want to be in school another 4 yrs + residency
In that case, PA is the clear answer with solid earning potential and a growing prestige (you literally act as the attending in many situations)

Truthfully yes, I don't want to be in school for 4 more years, especially at such a steep level of stress and incurred debt.

I don't think I'd stand a chance at making it into PA school. It'd take years for me to be even somewhat competitive.
What's also discouraging is that I know several people with high grades, no blemished or hiccups in their academic record (unlike me), tons of clinical experience (also unlike me) and yet they have been rejected from PA school multiple years in a row... so even if I eventually became the perfect candidate it's still a huge gamble.
Do you happen to know what could possibly give me an edge among PA applicants (besides grades and tons of clinical experience)? I'm not opposed to the idea of being a PA. It wouldn't be 4 straight years of school at least, even if I'd have to work for several years beforehand. The thing is I'd have to somehow stand out enough to get one of 30 spots out of over 800+ applicants and I don't know how I'd pull that off exactly. That is if I chose this route.

You were smart and had a backup! haha

There really are a lot of PA hoops.
I'm not opposed to being a floor nurse first myself, but I do get what you mean.

I have been a Medical Laboratory Scientist (state licensed and certified by the ASCP) for four years now. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it. PM me if you like.

Thanks for the help, I'm probably going to take you up on that.

You were smart and had a backup! haha

There really are a lot of PA hoops.
I'm not opposed to being a floor nurse first myself, but I do get what you mean.
Then I would definitely look into it if I were you. There are accelerated BSN programs. So, it really wouldn’t take too long

Truthfully yes, I don't want to be in school for 4 more years, especially at such a steep level of stress and incurred debt.

I don't think I'd stand a chance at making it into PA school. It'd take years for me to be even somewhat competitive.
What's also discouraging is that I know several people with high grades, no blemished or hiccups in their academic record (unlike me), tons of clinical experience (also unlike me) and yet they have been rejected from PA school multiple years in a row... so even if I eventually became the perfect candidate it's still a huge gamble.
Do you happen to know what could possibly give me an edge among PA applicants (besides grades and tons of clinical experience)? I'm not opposed to the idea of being a PA. It wouldn't be 4 straight years of school at least, even if I'd have to work for several years beforehand. The thing is I'd have to somehow stand out enough to get one of 30 spots out of over 800+ applicants and I don't know how I'd pull that off exactly. That is if I chose this route.
Like someone else mentoned, my move would be finding a post-bacc that has linkage into a PA program and that way you can can a detour around the normal app process... that's how I got into medical school!