What are my chances as a black female, low gpa/high mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SushiFuji

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of being accepted into a md or do school as a black female?

My gpa is only a 3.1 but I have a 516 MCAT. I have published research, health-related trip to Haiti, and one year experience as certified nursing assistant (CNA). My last year of undergrad I made straight A's, so I feel I have shown improvement.

Do I have a chance with my current stats or should I wait and do a post-bacc?
Will I have any luck with an MD school or should I only apply to DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC aggregate data (2013-2014 to 2015-2016):

33-35 MCAT (equivalent to 516), 3.00-3.19 GPA: 25 applicants, 19 accepted (76%).
30-32 MCAT (lower than yours), 3.00-3.19 GPA: 110 applicants, 83 accepted (76%).

Solid odds. Apply broadly to MD (especially low-tier and in-state), with a few DO programs as back-ups.

(Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Positive grade trends are always important. Your chances are more likely than not. Definitely apply to MD

What are my chances of being accepted into a md or do school as a black female?

My gpa is only a 3.1 but I have a 516 MCAT. I have published research, health-related trip to Haiti, and one year experience as certified nursing assistant (CNA). My last year of undergrad I made straight A's, so I feel I have shown improvement.

Do I have a chance with my current stats or should I wait and do a post-bacc?
Will I have any luck with an MD school or should I only apply to DO schools?
For starters, aim for
The HBCs
Your state school
State schools surrounding your state
U Miami
U WV
IU
Dartmouth
Case
Hofstra
Keck

Your URM status plus upward trend, high MCAT, and clinical experience mean that your low GPA could be forgiven to a surprising extent. Chances look good; I'd go with Goro's advice.