DO What are my chances for D.O?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JC7878

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am currently in my Junior year of undergrad and have not taken my MCAT, yet. Assuming I get at least a 26-30 on my MCAT, will I have a shot at D.O schools?

Here are my statistics so far:

Overall GPA- 3.76

sGPA- 3.67

Over 200 hours of volunteering at a local hospital.

Have solid letters of recommendation.

Shadowed a few respected Docs.

Was in the Marine Corp for four years and have a meritorious promotion and a few leadership roles while in the Corps.

Head basketball coach for high school boys grades 9-12 intramural league.

I went to a top ten CC for my first two years before attending a respected University, and I was President of the Pre-Med club at the CC.

Also have 500 plus hours of clinical experience with a veterinarian.(I don't know if Vet work is relevant to human medicine, but I think it is still beneficial).

Will also be getting into research soon as well.

I have other small accolades as well, but it's just superfluous information in my opinion.

I appreciate any advice, ladies, and gents! Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're stats are well above average for DO schools, and average for MD, but without your MCAT it is harder to say. You know the MCAT scoring is no longer the small numbers, and it now from 472-528, just making sure. Is the vet thing volunteering? if it is I wouldn't list it under the clinical volunteering because you're not working with humans, but I need a second opinion on that.

If possible I'd recommend on getting some research, and getting some more non-clinical volunteering for people. i.e. homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.

Once that MCAT comes we can say more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're stats are well above average for DO schools, and average for MD, but without your MCAT it is harder to say. You know the MCAT scoring is no longer the small numbers, and it now from 472-528, just making sure. Is the vet thing volunteering? if it is I wouldn't list it under the clinical volunteering because you're not working with humans, but I need a second opinion on that.

If possible I'd recommend on getting some research, and getting some more non-clinical volunteering for people. i.e. homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.

Once that MCAT comes we can say more.

Yes, the Vet work was voluntary. I do know the MCAT has a new scoring system, I just wasn't sure how the scores translated from the old test scores. I will definitely focus on non-clinical volunteering. Besides that, anything else? I strongly believe my GPA will only rise from where I am at right now. I strongly believe I will perform strongly on the MCAT with hard work ethic and preparation.

Thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Numbers are fine for MD and DO. And many thanks for your service to our country. Semper Fi!

Hey folks,

I am currently in my Junior year of undergrad and have not taken my MCAT, yet. Assuming I get at least a 26-30 on my MCAT, will I have a shot at D.O schools?

Here are my statistics so far:

Overall GPA- 3.76

sGPA- 3.67

Over 200 hours of volunteering at a local hospital.

Have solid letters of recommendation.

Shadowed a few respected Docs.

Was in the Marine Corp for 4 years and have a meritorious promotion and a few leadership roles while in the Corps.

Head basketball coach for high school boys grades 9-12 intramural league.

I went to a top ten CC for my first two years before attending a respected University and I was President of the Pre Med club at the CC.

Also have 500 plus hours of clinical experience with a veterinarian.(I don't know if Vet work is relevant to human medicine but I think it is still beneficial).

Will also be getting into research soon as well.

I have other small accolades as well but it's just superfluous information in my opinion.

I appreciate any advice, ladies and gents! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user