What are my chances? Guidance appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studychic101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior, and I'm trying to feel out my options for after graduation. My situation is a little unique because my university offers "advanced standing" which means that I'll be graduating after only 3 years of undergrad. Due to my financial situation, I will not be able to afford the final year which is why I am opting for this standing.

Currently, my cGPA is 3.1 and my sGPA is 2.8.
I'd say I have had a pretty strong trend in my semester cGPA (2.6->3->3.3); however, I have received a C- in calculus and a C+ in organic chemistry.
The max cGPA I can get due to my early graduation is a 3.6. A more realistic cGPA though would be a 3.4 and a 3.2 sGPA.

I am planning on taking the MCAT over the summer, and although it is not a perfect predictor my ACT score was a 36 cumulative, so I am hoping for an above average MCAT after studying incessantly of course.
My ECs are not very strong, but I have been volunteering at a renowned hospital for almost a year and plan on continuing until graduation.
I have worked in a chemistry lab for about a year and a half and continue doing that until graduation.
I recently received my EMT-B certification and plan on working as an EMT until graduation.

I'm not sure what I should due at this point. I cannot decide whether I should do a post-bac or an SMP or just try and apply to medical schools now?
I'm honestly lost and would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

It is hard to say without your MCAT score. The ACT is a completely different test, and doesn't mean anything to this test other than you can probably take tests well. Your current cGPA is pretty low for MD and DO. Did you try your best in those classes, if not then I think you should consider retaking them. If you did try hard in them, then it is best to make sure you can handle the course load of med school because it will only get harder.

If you can raise your cGPA to a 3.6 then I think you will be fine, but any lower and it will be difficult. It won't be impossible, but I think you should look into applying DO as well. DO schools do grade replacement, so if you retake those classes and get A's, then it will raise your grade a bit. I would also suggest working on getting some volunteer work with the underserved such as a homeless shelter, or a soup kitchen, etc.

If you raise your GPA and get a good MCAT score, I think you will be fine.