This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Btt

Reaction score
Hi there,

Currently applying to optometry school and curious about my chances.

Overall GPA: 2.9
Science GPA: 2.61
OAT: 340 AA/ 340 TS

I have about 300 hours of optometric work/shadowing experience and 400 hours of volunteer experience.

Anyone know if there's even a chance for me to get an interview with this low of a GPA? Anyone with a similar experience? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

I have about 300 hours of optometric work/shadowing experience and 400 hours of volunteer experience.

Anyone know if there's even a chance for me to get an interview with this low of a GPA? Anyone with a similar experience? Thank you
Hey!

It won’t let me PM you, do you want to PM me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure that you will be fine because your OAT scores are higher than average. Be sure to explain your motivation and determination to keep up with your studies in graduate school. Be prepared to discuss the reason why any grades are below a C during your interview.

Hi there,

Hey, did you hear back from any schools?

Hey, did you hear back from any schools?

Hello! Yes, I did :’-)
I posted everything on the "class of 2023" thread, but here it is:

Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/20/2019
OAT Scores: 340 AA / 340 TS
Major: Biopsychology, B.S.
GPA: 2.90 Overall / 2.61 Science (struggled AF, which is why I applied to so many schools)
Extracurricular Activities: Two community service organizations for three years + leadership positions in both organizations; 21 hours of shadowing; worked at LensCrafters for ~9 months; other volunteer organizations
Schools applied: UMSL, PUCO, AZCOPT, CCO, KYCO, ICO, MCPHS, NOVA, PCO, SCO, OSU, UHCO, UIWRSO, NECO, SCCO, WU
Interviews extended/date: UMSL (12/28), PUCO (1/14), KYCO (1/29), MCPHS (1/3), NOVA (1/10), PCO (12/27), SCO (1/7), UIWRSO (1/8), NECO (12/27), SCCO (1/7), WU (1/16)
Interviews accepted: UMSL (1/25), NOVA (2/15), PCO (1/29; withdrew 2/26), SCO (2/8), NECO (2/1), SCCO (3/15)
Interviews declined: PUCO, KYCO, MCPHS, UIWRSO, WU
Rejections/date: AZCOPT (1/8), CCO (12/28), ICO (1/17), OSU (2/1),UHCO (2/25)
Acceptance/date: UMSL (2/11), NOVA (2/21), SCO (2/22), NECO (2/15), SCCO (3/18)

I’m going to NECO in the Fall!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Impressive, congratulations!!