What are my chances? Need advice D.O school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itsanewday92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello I am applying this cycle to D.O school. Just looking for advice on how to become a better applicant and if I even have a chance. Here are my stats.

Freshman Year: cGPA: 2.1 sGPA: 1.5
Sophomore Year cGPA: 2.7 sGPA: 3.1
Junior Year cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 2.85
Senior Year cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 3.04

I am an URM applicant and a NCAA athlete. I currently am working as a medical scribe for a colorectal surgeon where i have done 2000+ hours. I was a medical scribe for a Primary care clinic for 400 hours. I was a clinical research assistant for HSS for 250 hours. I shadowed a D.O for 8 hours and shadowed multiple anorectal and abdominal surgeries.
I was the science club vice president and chess club president.

I don't have a letter from a D.O because the M.D I scribe for can attest to my work ethic more. My freshman year was extremely bad. The transition from high school to college and balancing my sport was difficult for me. I took over all the science courses from freshman year and all the upper Bio course I have taken are all B's. Need advice on my application. I took my MCAT in April just waiting for my scores.
Your MCAT will ultimately be the deciding factor, at this rate, predicting a minimum MCAT of ~505, you will be okay at most DO schools with an excellent personal statement and strong letters of recommendation. Good luck!

P.S Apply to RowanSOM, PCOM and NYIT, DO letter strongly recommended, not required.

What ethnic group do you represent? State of residence?

The very weak sGPAs have me worried that you won't handle med school.

Hello I am applying this cycle to D.O school. Just looking for advice on how to become a better applicant and if I even have a chance. Here are my stats.

Freshman Year: cGPA: 2.1 sGPA: 1.5
Sophomore Year cGPA: 2.7 sGPA: 3.1
Junior Year cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 2.85
Senior Year cGPA: 3.15 sGPA: 3.04

I am an URM applicant and a NCAA athlete. I currently am working as a medical scribe for a colorectal surgeon where i have done 2000+ hours. I was a medical scribe for a Primary care clinic for 400 hours. I was a clinical research assistant for HSS for 250 hours. I shadowed a D.O for 8 hours and shadowed multiple anorectal and abdominal surgeries.
I was the science club vice president and chess club president.

I don't have a letter from a D.O because the M.D I scribe for can attest to my work ethic more. My freshman year was extremely bad. The transition from high school to college and balancing my sport was difficult for me. I took over all the science courses from freshman year and all the upper Bio course I have taken are all B's. Need advice on my application. I took my MCAT in April just waiting for my scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is really weak.... particularly in your freshman year. Have you considered retaking a number of classes (taking advantage of AACOMAS grade replacement)? If you could get your CGPA and Science GPA to around a 3.3 with an MCAT of at least 502, then you have a solid shot at the newest DO schools. Also, the schools you are going to want to focus on are big on helping the underserved so I would start some kind of community service (something that doesn't take too much time would do, like 3- 6 hours a week, but something done over a prolonged period of time (like a year or two) so that it doesn't look like you are just box checking).

Grade replacement is gone.

Reactions: 2 users
aacomas= no more grade replacement as of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.