What are some programs I can participate in to boost my application for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BiriyaniBaddie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a rising sophomore at a SUNY school and I was wondering what else I could do to become a stronger candidate for dental school. I'm currently spending the summer shadowing and trying to establish a club at my school. I applied for SHPEP for this summer, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get into the program. I plan on applying again next year. Are there any programs/internships for either the upcoming school year or next summer around New York City that I can apply to? Any scholarships particularly for pre-dental students? Also I'm open to programs in other state as long as they offer financial aid because I come from the lower end of the economic spectrum.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a program at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine in Newark, NJ called Gateway to Dentistry. I did it in Jan. of 2026, but they also have a summer session. It might have already passed for this year, but you may want to look into it for next year. The program was about 2 weeks long and we had dental related lectures, hands on activities, talk to current dental students, shadow in their clinic, have a mock interview, and go over the application process. I really enjoyed the program and highly suggest it! I think the application fee was only $50 (this was 2-2.5 years ago though) and there were no other costs to the program, except if you needed to stay at a hotel near the school. I'm close enough, so I was able to drive everyday. I'm not sure what the commute/cost would be from NYC, but I know there is a train. It might be an early morning two weeks, but it would be worth it!

I did a program at Rutgers School of Dental Medicine in Newark, NJ called Gateway to Dentistry. I did it in Jan. of 2026, but they also have a summer session. It might have already passed for this year, but you may want to look into it for next year. The program was about 2 weeks long and we had dental related lectures, hands on activities, talk to current dental students, shadow in their clinic, have a mock interview, and go over the application process. I really enjoyed the program and highly suggest it! I think the application fee was only $50 (this was 2-2.5 years ago though) and there were no other costs to the program, except if you needed to stay at a hotel near the school. I'm close enough, so I was able to drive everyday. I'm not sure what the commute/cost would be from NYC, but I know there is a train. It might be an early morning two weeks, but it would be worth it!
Dam where can I buy your time machine? Would love to go back a few years and dump my savings into bitcoin xD