What classes did you take before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awkotaku

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a sophomore in college and have taken general chemistry, physics, English, psychology, sociology, mathematics, and some statistics courses. I will be taking biology and organic chemistry in my junior year, genetics the summer before my senior year, and taking the yearlong biochemistry sequence in my senior year.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take the MCAT in the spring/summer of my senior year once I finish the entire biochemistry sequence, or if I should take it in winter/spring of my senior year when I have finished 2/3s of the biochemistry sequence? (Yes I am aware this will lead me to take a gap year, which was what I have planned anyways!)

Thank you so much, and any shared experiences about your MCAT such as the classes you took to prepare, the timeframe you spent studying, etc. will be greatly greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a 505 (126/126/126/127)

I took:
Biology I & II
Physics I & II
Chem I & II
Orgo I & II
Psychology
Sociology

Taking Biochem, cell bio and microbiology would have really helped me on a bunch of passages. All of my biochem knowledge came from the Exam Krackers and Kaplan book sets.

Got a 505 (126/126/126/127)

I took:
Biology I & II
Physics I & II
Chem I & II
Orgo I & II
Psychology
Sociology

Taking Biochem, cell bio and microbiology would have really helped me on a bunch of passages. All of my biochem knowledge came from the Exam Krackers and Kaplan book sets.

I see I see
I would have taken biochem and genetics once I take the MCAT... I don't think I have room in my schedule to add cell bio and micro.. are these two classes absolutely necessary?

From my experience, the more knowledge you have from bio classes, the better but higher level bio isn't really needed. Passages that talk about upper level bio material give you all the info you need to solve the problem with the basic prereqs, however, it'll be new info as opposed to someone who has had upper level bio.

The only other additional class that is required for the MCAT passages is Biochem. Just make sure to take plenty of practice tests. I only got a 505 so I can't really give you any advice on what works to do well, just advice on what basic materials you need to understand the passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
First attempt - 512
Second attempt - 522

The courses that I thought were most beneficial to take beforehand are...
- Biology I & II
- Chemistry I & II
- Biochemistry
- Psychology
- Sociology

I excluded most of the courses for physical sciences because it's been my experience that most students generally have to re-learn most of physics, chemistry, and organic chemistry.

Additionally, the difference between my first and second attempts were (1) more practice tests and (2) three months of studying rather than two.

Reactions: 1 user
From my experience, the more knowledge you have from bio classes, the better but higher level bio isn't really needed. Passages that talk about upper level bio material give you all the info you need to solve the problem with the basic prereqs, however, it'll be new info as opposed to someone who has had upper level bio.

The only other additional class that is required for the MCAT passages is Biochem. Just make sure to take plenty of practice tests. I only got a 505 so I can't really give you any advice on what works to do well, just advice on what basic materials you need to understand the passages.

Got it!
Yes, I should have biochemistry completed once I take the MCAT, as well as one another genetics course.
Thank you so much for your tips.

First attempt - 512
Second attempt - 522

The courses that I thought were most beneficial to take beforehand are...
- Biology I & II
- Chemistry I & II
- Biochemistry
- Psychology
- Sociology

I excluded most of the courses for physical sciences because it's been my experience that most students generally have to re-learn most of physics, chemistry, and organic chemistry.

Additionally, the difference between my first and second attempts were (1) more practice tests and (2) three months of studying rather than two.

Thank you for this helpful information!
I am finishing up physics over the summer, and I am taking ochem net year. Thanks for your advice