-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What happened to this forum?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This forum used to be so lit from what I can tell by looking at the old posts. Just wondering what happened to it and if there are other URM's out there that might want to connect!
I'm not sure but I got you!
We've been busy trying to raise our GPA.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i must admit that you're right, this forum was definitely more active in the past! I, like many of us, are still adjusting to med school as M1s. But feel free to reach out!! I'm happy to chat!
FactsWe've been busy trying to raise our GPA.
Hahahaha this comment made my day 🤣We've been busy trying to raise our GPA.
i must admit that you're right, this forum was definitely more active in the past! I, like many of us, are still adjusting to med school as M1s. But feel free to reach out!! I'm happy to chat!
I'm not pre-med but how is adjusting to MS1 going? If you dont mind me asking, where do you go?
@ayed22 First year so far is much better than I expected. I would say that the hardest thing to do is to balance life with studies because there is this perpetual feeling that you have to study 24/7. The pace never slows down. And on top of studies you have all these other academic responsibilities like interprofessionalism, and finding research...not to mention staying in shape and eating healthy lol
*sliding in here even though I'm pre-optometry* hi lol
I love your profile pic*sliding in here even though I'm pre-optometry* hi lol
Staying healthy in dental school is a worry that I have for next year! In undergrad I gained so much weight so now I'm average size, so gaining more weight because of school is a daunting fear. haha I'm glad to hear that your schooling is going well though! Is the school you attend a HBCU or a PWI?@ayed22 First year so far is much better than I expected. I would say that the hardest thing to do is to balance life with studies because there is this perpetual feeling that you have to study 24/7. The pace never slows down. And on top of studies you have all these other academic responsibilities like interprofessionalism, and finding research...not to mention staying in shape and eating healthy lol
Hello! Welcome! I'm pre-dental so all pre healths are welcomed 🙂*sliding in here even though I'm pre-optometry* hi lol
I also love your profile picture! I have Mulan as mine because I've been obsessed with the movie since I was a child. haha
Haha thank you! I have Bliss because I always wanted to be a powerpuff girlI also love your profile picture! I have Mulan as mine because I've been obsessed with the movie since I was a child. haha

So, since we're in the URM section, what race/ethnicity are you from? I'm from Haiti, but born and raised in So-flo lol
Lol, thank you! I just seen this after I replied back to @ayed22I love your profile pic
I'm from Kenya but grew up most of my life in America! lolHaha thank you! I have Bliss because I always wanted to be a powerpuff girl
So, since we're in the URM section, what race/ethnicity are you from? I'm from Haiti, but born and raised in So-flo lol
Aspiring doc here, 26yo black male.
Lol it’s no problem!Lol, thank you! I just seen this after I replied back to @ayed22
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello aspiring doc! How far along the dream are you?Aspiring doc here, 26yo black male.
I'm currently getting ready to take on my pre-reqs as I have a non-traditional degree (business). I have been working at a level-1 trauma hospital for almost two years now and I truly feel like medicine is what I am meant to do. As a black male, I feel we are grossly underrepresented in healthcare when it comes to physicians and I want black patients to feel they are in the care of someone who not only looks like them, but also someone who understands them and has their best interest at heart 🙂 sorry if my post seems all over the place, I am in the last hour and a half of my 12hr night shift so I'm a little pooped lol. I will be shadowing anesthesia next week on my off days so I will try to post on here to let you all know how it turns out. It feels amazing to know I am not alone on this board!Hello aspiring doc! How far along the dream are you?
How far along in the journey are you? 🙂
Last edited:
Haha thank you! I have Bliss because I always wanted to be a powerpuff girl
So, since we're in the URM section, what race/ethnicity are you from? I'm from Haiti, but born and raised in So-flo lol
eyyyyy found one of my zoes, sak ap fet!
I'm in my 3rd year of undergrad. Nothing special thereI'm currently getting ready to take on my pre-reqs as I have a non-traditional degree (business). I have been working at a level-1 trauma hospital for almost two years now and I truly feel like medicine is what I am meant to do. As a black male, I feel we are grossly underrepresented in healthcare when it comes to physicians and I want black patients to feel they are in the care of someone who not only looks like them, but also someone who understands them and has their best interest at heart 🙂 sorry if my post seems all over the place, I am in the last hour and a half of my 12hr night shift so I'm a little pooped lol. I will be shadowing anesthesia next week on my off days so I will try to post on here to let you all know how it turns out. It feels amazing to know I am not alone on this board!
How far along in the journey are you? 🙂
Ayyyyyeeee kote'ou?eyyyyy found one of my zoes, sak ap fet!
Welcome 🙂Aspiring Dentist here. Patiently waiting for December 1st (when we can find out if we've been accepted). Greetings ya'll!
Yea, it waxes and wanes. It'll start picking back up in the spring/once acceptances start and also going into the next app cycle lol
A few of the more fiery members got banned contributed to it, I'd bet. Pity, really.
😵 how does one get banned?A few of the more fiery members got banned contributed to it, I'd bet. Pity, really.
You really have to go out of your way😵 how does one get banned?
Lol, which is why I ask. I mean, I don't want to get banned, but I also don't want to do something by accident that leads to being banned.You really have to go out of your way
Don't accidentally stalk someone and threaten their career because they slighted you, for instance.Lol, which is why I ask. I mean, I don't want to get banned, but I also don't want to do something by accident that leads to being banned.
Don't accidentally stalk someone and threaten their career because they slighted you, for instance.
Ok then. That's worse than cheating "by accident", so I'm ok. Thank you lolol
Oh, so we're introducing ourselves now? Calm.
I'm Nigerian, but was born and raised in the US. Currently at the Georgetown SMP. It's been fun.
Also, I am in agreement. We need to get this subforum poppin like...it can't remain this dead. I want to have fun on here during my study breaks and when I'm slyly procrastinating, lol.
I'm Nigerian, but was born and raised in the US. Currently at the Georgetown SMP. It's been fun.
Also, I am in agreement. We need to get this subforum poppin like...it can't remain this dead. I want to have fun on here during my study breaks and when I'm slyly procrastinating, lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like everyone on this is Nigerian 🤣
What tribe are you?Oh, so we're introducing ourselves now? Calm.
I'm Nigerian, but was born and raised in the US. Currently at the Georgetown SMP. It's been fun.
Also, I am in agreement. We need to get this subforum poppin like...it can't remain this dead. I want to have fun on here during my study breaks and when I'm slyly procrastinating, lol.
I'm a Yoruba boy. In the words of Sarkodie, "What else? Obidiponbidi. Nyanh!" Looool. Ignore me, lol.
Shebi you're Yoruba asweh?
Shebi you're Yoruba asweh?
Lmaoooo No, I'm Esan! Have you lived here your whole life?I'm a Yoruba boy. In the words of Sarkodie, "What else? Obidiponbidi. Nyanh!" Looool. Ignore me, lol.
Shebi you're Yoruba asweh?
Lmaoooo No, I'm Esan! Have you lived here your whole life?
What's an Esan? Is that an Igbo ethnic group or something? Lol, jokes. All tribes matter, right? 😉
And yeah. I would be happier if I was born over there, so that I could say I'm a real Nigerian. I'm just a "Nigerian American" or whatever millenial Nigerians born abroad call themselves. Lol, sike! I still call myself a Nigerian. Nigeria till I die, fam. You get me? Dun know. Brap brap *gun fingers*
But in all seriousness, it was my dad's dream and prayer that we would be born here. Can't really argue with God, can I?
Last edited:
Lol no not related to Igbo people at all. Lol I wish all tribes did matter but we all know that's a lie. hahaWhat's an Esan? Is that an Igbo ethnic group or something? Lol, jokes. All tribes matter, right? 😉
And yeah. I would be happier if I was born over there, so that I could say I'm a real Nigerian. I'm just a "Nigerian American" or whatever millenial Nigerians born abroad call themselves. Lol, sike! I still call myself a Nigerian. Nigeria till I die, fam. You get me? Dun know. Brap brap *gun fingers*
But in all seriousness, it was my dad's dream and prayer that we would be born here. Can't really argue with God, can I?
Ahhh nothing irks me more than hearing "Nigerian American." I just walk away when I hear people say that. Maybe because I'm just "Nigerian Nigerian" Idk lol
Lol no not related to Igbo people at all. Lol I wish all tribes did matter but we all know that's a lie. haha
Ahhh nothing irks me more than hearing "Nigerian American." I just walk away when I hear people say that. Maybe because I'm just "Nigerian Nigerian" Idk lol
Lol, I know. I was just messing around haha. And yeah, it's unfortunate that that's the case.
Yeah, it's actually annoying. The term just sounds somehow, lol. So you came straight from Naij?
I feel like everyone on this is Nigerian 🤣
What tribe are you?
I wouldn't be surprised if Nigerians make up the bulk of "African Americans" applying and getting accepted into medical school - it's the same way in practice.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 73
- Views
- 22K