What happened to this forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum used to be so lit from what I can tell by looking at the old posts. Just wondering what happened to it and if there are other URM's out there that might want to connect!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This forum used to be so lit from what I can tell by looking at the old posts. Just wondering what happened to it and if there are other URM's out there that might want to connect!

I'm not sure but I got you!

Reactions: 3 users
We've been busy trying to raise our GPA.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i must admit that you're right, this forum was definitely more active in the past! I, like many of us, are still adjusting to med school as M1s. But feel free to reach out!! I'm happy to chat!

Reactions: 4 users
We've been busy trying to raise our GPA.
Hahahaha this comment made my day :rofl:

i must admit that you're right, this forum was definitely more active in the past! I, like many of us, are still adjusting to med school as M1s. But feel free to reach out!! I'm happy to chat!

I'm not pre-med but how is adjusting to MS1 going? If you dont mind me asking, where do you go?

Reactions: 1 user
@ayed22 First year so far is much better than I expected. I would say that the hardest thing to do is to balance life with studies because there is this perpetual feeling that you have to study 24/7. The pace never slows down. And on top of studies you have all these other academic responsibilities like interprofessionalism, and finding research...not to mention staying in shape and eating healthy lol

Reactions: 2 users
*sliding in here even though I'm pre-optometry* hi lol

Reactions: 3 users
@ayed22 First year so far is much better than I expected. I would say that the hardest thing to do is to balance life with studies because there is this perpetual feeling that you have to study 24/7. The pace never slows down. And on top of studies you have all these other academic responsibilities like interprofessionalism, and finding research...not to mention staying in shape and eating healthy lol
Staying healthy in dental school is a worry that I have for next year! In undergrad I gained so much weight so now I'm average size, so gaining more weight because of school is a daunting fear. haha I'm glad to hear that your schooling is going well though! Is the school you attend a HBCU or a PWI?
*sliding in here even though I'm pre-optometry* hi lol
Hello! Welcome! I'm pre-dental so all pre healths are welcomed :)
I also love your profile picture! I have Mulan as mine because I've been obsessed with the movie since I was a child. haha

I also love your profile picture! I have Mulan as mine because I've been obsessed with the movie since I was a child. haha
Haha thank you! I have Bliss because I always wanted to be a powerpuff girl :laugh:
So, since we're in the URM section, what race/ethnicity are you from? I'm from Haiti, but born and raised in So-flo lol

Haha thank you! I have Bliss because I always wanted to be a powerpuff girl :laugh:
So, since we're in the URM section, what race/ethnicity are you from? I'm from Haiti, but born and raised in So-flo lol
I'm from Kenya but grew up most of my life in America! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello aspiring doc! How far along the dream are you?
I'm currently getting ready to take on my pre-reqs as I have a non-traditional degree (business). I have been working at a level-1 trauma hospital for almost two years now and I truly feel like medicine is what I am meant to do. As a black male, I feel we are grossly underrepresented in healthcare when it comes to physicians and I want black patients to feel they are in the care of someone who not only looks like them, but also someone who understands them and has their best interest at heart :) sorry if my post seems all over the place, I am in the last hour and a half of my 12hr night shift so I'm a little pooped lol. I will be shadowing anesthesia next week on my off days so I will try to post on here to let you all know how it turns out. It feels amazing to know I am not alone on this board!

How far along in the journey are you? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

eyyyyy found one of my zoes, sak ap fet!

I'm currently getting ready to take on my pre-reqs as I have a non-traditional degree (business). I have been working at a level-1 trauma hospital for almost two years now and I truly feel like medicine is what I am meant to do. As a black male, I feel we are grossly underrepresented in healthcare when it comes to physicians and I want black patients to feel they are in the care of someone who not only looks like them, but also someone who understands them and has their best interest at heart :) sorry if my post seems all over the place, I am in the last hour and a half of my 12hr night shift so I'm a little pooped lol. I will be shadowing anesthesia next week on my off days so I will try to post on here to let you all know how it turns out. It feels amazing to know I am not alone on this board!

How far along in the journey are you? :)
I'm in my 3rd year of undergrad. Nothing special there :heckyeah:. But I feel you with the underrepresentation, as my family puts it "I'm a black girl trying to work in a white man's world". I want to help minority children in school who can't see the board and thus fail because they can't read their own homework.

Aspiring Dentist here. Patiently waiting for December 1st (when we can find out if we've been accepted). Greetings ya'll!

Yea, it waxes and wanes. It'll start picking back up in the spring/once acceptances start and also going into the next app cycle lol

Don't accidentally stalk someone and threaten their career because they slighted you, for instance.
:wideyed::wideyed:
Ok then. That's worse than cheating "by accident", so I'm ok. Thank you lolol

Oh, so we're introducing ourselves now? Calm.

I'm Nigerian, but was born and raised in the US. Currently at the Georgetown SMP. It's been fun.

Also, I am in agreement. We need to get this subforum poppin like...it can't remain this dead. I want to have fun on here during my study breaks and when I'm slyly procrastinating, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like everyone on this is Nigerian :rofl:
Oh, so we're introducing ourselves now? Calm.

I'm Nigerian, but was born and raised in the US. Currently at the Georgetown SMP. It's been fun.

Also, I am in agreement. We need to get this subforum poppin like...it can't remain this dead. I want to have fun on here during my study breaks and when I'm slyly procrastinating, lol.
What tribe are you?

I'm a Yoruba boy. In the words of Sarkodie, "What else? Obidiponbidi. Nyanh!" Looool. Ignore me, lol.

Shebi you're Yoruba asweh?

I'm a Yoruba boy. In the words of Sarkodie, "What else? Obidiponbidi. Nyanh!" Looool. Ignore me, lol.

Shebi you're Yoruba asweh?
Lmaoooo No, I'm Esan! Have you lived here your whole life?

Lmaoooo No, I'm Esan! Have you lived here your whole life?

What's an Esan? Is that an Igbo ethnic group or something? Lol, jokes. All tribes matter, right? ;)

And yeah. I would be happier if I was born over there, so that I could say I'm a real Nigerian. I'm just a "Nigerian American" or whatever millenial Nigerians born abroad call themselves. Lol, sike! I still call myself a Nigerian. Nigeria till I die, fam. You get me? Dun know. Brap brap *gun fingers*

But in all seriousness, it was my dad's dream and prayer that we would be born here. Can't really argue with God, can I?

Last edited:
What's an Esan? Is that an Igbo ethnic group or something? Lol, jokes. All tribes matter, right? ;)

And yeah. I would be happier if I was born over there, so that I could say I'm a real Nigerian. I'm just a "Nigerian American" or whatever millenial Nigerians born abroad call themselves. Lol, sike! I still call myself a Nigerian. Nigeria till I die, fam. You get me? Dun know. Brap brap *gun fingers*

But in all seriousness, it was my dad's dream and prayer that we would be born here. Can't really argue with God, can I?
Lol no not related to Igbo people at all. Lol I wish all tribes did matter but we all know that's a lie. haha

Ahhh nothing irks me more than hearing "Nigerian American." I just walk away when I hear people say that. Maybe because I'm just "Nigerian Nigerian" Idk lol

Lol no not related to Igbo people at all. Lol I wish all tribes did matter but we all know that's a lie. haha

Ahhh nothing irks me more than hearing "Nigerian American." I just walk away when I hear people say that. Maybe because I'm just "Nigerian Nigerian" Idk lol

Lol, I know. I was just messing around haha. And yeah, it's unfortunate that that's the case.

Yeah, it's actually annoying. The term just sounds somehow, lol. So you came straight from Naij?

I feel like everyone on this is Nigerian :rofl:

What tribe are you?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nigerians make up the bulk of "African Americans" applying and getting accepted into medical school - it's the same way in practice.