This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCraig

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends! I will likely be applying in the 2018 application cycle. Needless to say, I have a gap year. I'm looking forward to it, and I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have had a similar situation.

What did you do during your gap year that strengthened your application? Besides binge watch netflix, travel, spend time with family, etc.. haha

I have no meaningful research - Do you think research is a must?

I am looking into doing a shadowing program this summer and a cadaver lab course this fall. I had considered doing some volunteering abroad, but I heard this impacts your application negatively.

Does anyone know of any unique volunteer opportunities or research positions for people with no experience? I already have 500 hours clinical experience as a CNA.

Can you think of any other opportunities to look into during a gap year?

Any input is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

You'd really need to share more of your background coming as an applicant for better advice on what needs to be improved on your application (i.e. GPA, MCAT, non-clinical volunteering, clinical volunteering, etc.), if one of these things is lacking in certain respects then that is what you should focus on for the upcoming year before application season.

As for your specific questions:
Research is a neat thing to have as an experience, but it seems like the consensus here and via AAMC surveys is that it is not one of the top criteria for admissions decisions, it's always a nice and generally helpful for your application, but it isn't a "must-have". Focusing on volunteerism, clinical experience, and academic ability is much more important than gaining some research experience.
If you have no shadowing experience yet, you definitely should look into that, most successful applicants generally have 40~ hours of shadowing (I forget the actual range, but it is sub-50). It helps show that you know what you're getting into as a med school applicant. Don't be too excessive with it though, and try to focus on primary care rather than specialized medicine if possible, generally reflects better.
Volunteering abroad has a really bad reputation on SDN and I agree with it, you're not learning about American healthcare or what it means to work in the American system, it generally just comes off as "medical tourism" to AdComs. Focus more on clinical and *non-clinical* volunteering in your local community, find something you're passionate about and throw yourself into it! There's always someone who needs a helping hand, I'm sure you will find something you are interested in.

Full disclosure: I did not have to take a gap year, but this is advice that I've seen shared before and I agree with it. It generally just revolves on bolstering aspects of your application that would have been lacking otherwise.

*Edit*: Didn't see your other post that contains more information, that thread will probably be more helpful for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
These kind of questions are always so individual that it's hard to give general advice, but I'll try.

If you're not a super strong candidate and you think your best shot is your IS-medical school, I would focus on volunteering in your local community. Also, I'm not sure if this is obvious, but you need to get a job. Nothing says privilege like not working for a year...cadaver labs and what not are fine and good, but that's not going to set you apart or present you as a compassionate, mature human being.

Seeing as you're from Tennessee, a somewhat rural state, I bet you could capitalize on that by getting a job somewhere where they do outreach/satellite clinics in rural areas.

As far as research goes, I'm probably not the best person to answer. I don't necessarily think bench research is essential if you have an otherwise strong application.

If you have very strong stats and are dead set on OOS or private, then the calculus changes a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
These kind of questions are always so individual that it's hard to give general advice, but I'll try.

If you're not a super strong candidate and you think your best shot is your IS-medical school, I would focus on volunteering in your local community. Also, I'm not sure if this is obvious, but you need to get a job. Nothing says privilege like not working for a year...cadaver labs and what not are fine and good, but that's not going to set you apart or present you as a compassionate, mature human being.

Seeing as you're from Tennessee, a somewhat rural state, I bet you could capitalize on that by getting a job somewhere where they do outreach/satellite clinics in rural areas.

As far as research goes, I'm probably not the best person to answer. I don't necessarily think bench research is essential if you have an otherwise strong application.

If you have very strong stats and are dead set on OOS or private, then the calculus changes a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I listed my stats below. I haven't taken the MCAT, which I know is super important. Do you think I'm lacking in any other areas?

3.90 cGPA; 3.8 sGPA

250 non-clinical volunteer hours - - - breaks down like this: 120 at my local hospital charity, 100 hours Habitat for Humanity; 30 hours Lion's Club

75 clinical volunteer hours - - - Remote Area Medical

Paid Clinical Experience - - - 450 hours as a CNA in a long term care facility

Paid Non-Clinical Experience - - - 700 hours as an undergraduate teaching assistant

Shadowing - - - 40 hours in one specialty

Decent Personal Statement

Decent LORs

Research - - - 90 hours during undergrad doing PCR & gel electrophoresis. Not super meaningful, but helped reinforced my science courses, so I would like to include it on my application

Thanks for your response! I have started volunteering with Remote Area Medical. I also volunteer with my local hospital's charity, which I really enjoy! I didn't go to a university that encouraged or offered many research opportunities, so I didn't know if this would hinder my application in any way.

Which specialty did your shadow with? I'm mostly just curious but it could change things a little bit.

I think that in general your application looks very well put together, I'm guessing the gap year is just from changing your mind between PA and MD schools? Otherwise I wouldn't have thought you would need a gap year from the get-go. In the meantime, I'd just work on keeping up with your clinical and non-clinical volunteering, don't let it go by the wayside into the past, show that you are dedicated to them by continuing your involvement if possible (especially non-clinical stuff, which is the lower hours of the two). Research isn't a big concern, but if you wanted to get involved in some kind of research assistantship, it wouldn't hurt you. I think the main thing you need to get out of your gap year is a good MCAT score and demonstrate that you didn't just sit on the couch for a year. If you can accomplish that, I think you'll have a good shot at admission next cycle!

Which specialty did your shadow with? I'm mostly just curious but it could change things a little bit.

I think that in general your application looks very well put together, I'm guessing the gap year is just from changing your mind between PA and MD schools? Otherwise I wouldn't have thought you would need a gap year from the get-go. In the meantime, I'd just work on keeping up with your clinical and non-clinical volunteering, don't let it go by the wayside into the past, show that you are dedicated to them by continuing your involvement if possible (especially non-clinical stuff, which is the lower hours of the two). Research isn't a big concern, but if you wanted to get involved in some kind of research assistantship, it wouldn't hurt you. I think the main thing you need to get out of your gap year is a good MCAT score and demonstrate that you didn't just sit on the couch for a year. If you can accomplish that, I think you'll have a good shot at admission next cycle!

I shadowed a neurosurgeon! But I have several other shadowing opportunities lined up in several specialities. I just haven't had time because I've been working so much. I just changed my status at work from full time to PRN, so I can just pick up shifts. We are so understaffed that I should be able to work as much as I want at my own convenience.

And yes, the fact that I made the switch from PA to MD definitely put me behind. I haven't taken my MCAT. I am planning on taking it this summer, but I'm afraid my application will look rushed. I also thought my volunteer hours were on the low side.

I mean, I had ~250 hrs non-clinical service and ~200 hrs clinical service on my primary application. This was alongside considerable research involvement (~800 hrs) and some other non-service activities that helped round out my activities list. It put me in good enough position to receive 7 interviews at mostly mid-tier schools, so I think that your application #s are doing fairly well so far, they can always be increased though since you have an extra year. Like I said, continue your involvement and your hours will go up and make you even more competitive.

Take the MCAT when you are ready to take it, don't rush! You can't hide your results from schools, so aim to do your best and to do it *once*. You have until roughly April of 2018 if you want your scores back before submitting applications. So if you need to take the time, take it! Otherwise I don't see any major red flags in your application, so if you keep up with your current activities and knock the MCAT out of the park, I think you will find great success in the application cycle.

I worked full-time as a research assistant (I have a very heavy research background though) and volunteered at 3 different places (both in clinical and non-clinical settings) for 1 year and then applied. It worked out for me! I'm a big advocate of getting a job that will give you the most money, simply because you won't have to worry about how you'll be paying for your med school apps, your personal bills, and you can enjoy your gap year a bit more.

The gap year volunteer activity that stood out for me was volunteering at a suicide prevention hotline. It was pretty challenging and uncomfortable at times, but I learned a lot from that experience. Plus, I got asked about that in all my traditional style interviews, and I was also able to integrate my experiences from that activity in my MMIs.

Hi friends! I will likely be applying in the 2018 application cycle. Needless to say, I have a gap year. I'm looking forward to it, and I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have had a similar situation.

What did you do during your gap year that strengthened your application? Besides binge watch netflix, travel, spend time with family, etc.. haha

I have no meaningful research - Do you think research is a must?

I am looking into doing a shadowing program this summer and a cadaver lab course this fall. I had considered doing some volunteering abroad, but I heard this impacts your application negatively.

Does anyone know of any unique volunteer opportunities or research positions for people with no experience? I already have 500 hours clinical experience as a CNA.

Can you think of any other opportunities to look into during a gap year?

Any input is much appreciated!!
Just pick a volunteer activity you'll enjoy and do it throughout your whole gap year. If you can afford it, choose a job that makes you look compassionate too. Hospice volunteer, tutoring the underserved, working as a caregiver, etc

Just make sure to be productive and spend your time doing useful activities like volunteering, shadowing, working, ect. The only thing you can really do wrong during a gap year is if you spend all your time having fun and don't come up with anything meaningful to add to your application.

As somebody who will have taken 3 gap years by the time I start medical school, this is my advice: when planning your gap year, think about what you want to get out of it. This is pretty much your last year of freedom, after all. I think adcoms have gotten pretty good at reading what you're doing just to check off boxes - they can weed out in interviews and applications if you only do something because they think you'll like it. Like people have said - if you don't love research, don't do it because it's a box to check off. I know people who went to top-25 med schools who did no research beforehand.

I will have spent a year and a half abroad by the time I start this fall. I volunteered abroad, not because I thought it would look good on an application, but because it was something I had always dreamed of doing and didn't know if I'd ever be able to do again for a long period of time. Speaking of which - who told you volunteering abroad negatively affects your application?! I think that's only true if you did a one-week service trip and pretend like you cured cancer or something. But if you are abroad long term and you show you're really passionate about what you're doing, I think adcoms are generally pretty impressed by that. If you can help out in some sort of health-related setting (I did!) all the better. My time abroad was the number one interview topic at every school I interviewed at. Plus I became fluent in Spanish, which I believe will make me much more useful as a physician. Like I said, I would have gone abroad regardless on its effect on my application - but I think that effect was actually quite positive - I'll be heading to a top 3 school in the fall! Not saying everyone should go abroad for their gap year - it's tricky and not for everyone - but if you heart is calling you to do that, don't let the haters stop you! :happy:

TL;DR : Your app is already really good, so spend your last year of freedom doing something you really love. (And consider going abroad, if that's your thing. ;))