What it takes to get to Ohio U. or any DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceDoctor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am having a tough time of guaging where I stand in respect to applying to Osteopathic Medical schools. I was looking in the student handbook (provided by the AACOM) and they state the averages for the entering med class is 3.43 overall and a 3.36 science GPA. I have retaken and currently in the process of retaking classes so that my overall GPA can be above a 3.55 and a science GPA of 3.40. I am really interested in going to Ohio University, given that I am an Ohio resident and love their school to death. Being that they favor Ohio residents, what are my chances of getting accepted into medical school, especially OHio University, given that I have a 24 or better of the MCATs, Letter of Reccomendation from an Osteopathic PHysician, and quality extracurriculars. Can anyone please share their experiences and what they did that personally thought it would take to get them in. Thanks a million everyone and HAPPY EASTER!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say your chances are pretty good. Although, I'm no admissions committee member, so my opinion doesn't matter. If you are fortunate enough to get an interview at Ohio, you'll face a panel of 3 people (as far as I know). Worry about getting an interview first. I was fortunate enough (as an Illinois resident) to get into their summer research fellowship, which guarantees an interview over the summer...well before everyone else. So, I've become extremely interested in the school and look forward to starting in June. From what I can tell, I'll be taking medical school level classes (taking tests etc.) and my performance in this program will have alot to with whether I get in or not. As far as my grades go, I'm about average (3.6 GPA, ~3.5 SGPA). I haven't taken the MCAT, but I have interesting life experiences that I feel set me apart. Ohio U mentioned in my acceptance letter that basically I was accepted from a large volume of applicants and I believe it. Who wouldn't love to have the opportunity to receive a guaranteed interview at a medical school?! I think my chances are pretty good as long as 1.) my MCATs come back with a decent score, 2.) I perform well within their program, and 3.) impress some folks with my work ethic. At least, that's my hope anyway. What kind of extra-curriculars do you have? Any interesting life experiences? All of these things count...sometimes as much as grades and test scores. I'd say based on your numbers, you should get interviews at osteopathic schools. I'm merely speculating, however. I am in no way in a position to judge whether you're a viable candidate or not. That's the admissions committee's decision. I'll be happy to field any questions you might have about Ohio U. I've been doing alot of research on the place since my acceptance.

Atlas