2023-2024 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would choose where you want to go. While you most likely will end up in Athens there are a few here in Dublin who are from places like New Jersey and Philly. Remember, first you get accepted to the school and then you are selected for the campus.
How has your experience been at the Dublin campus?

Members don't see this ad.

How has your experience been at the Dublin campus?

It’s only been 3 weeks. I’m definitely busy, but I can’t complain. Staff are great. The only thing I don’t like is the business casual dress code. Apparently Athens doesn’t have to abide by it even though it’s there so keep that into consideration. I do feel that our smaller cohort is better than Athens. I know most ppl already and staff know my name.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS and got the II for the TCC program. My ties to Cleveland are a bit weaker but I have immediate family in central and SE Ohio. It'd be nice to get into this program, but what do you think my odds are for a regular II after this one?

OOS and got the II for the TCC program. My ties to Cleveland are a bit weaker but I have immediate family in central and SE Ohio. It'd be nice to get into this program, but what do you think my odds are for a regular II after this one?
If you want to do family med go for it. You would have 0 odds if you didn't complete the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The TCC program is competitive. I say your chances are good to get a regular interview if you got an interview for the TCC program.

Reactions: 1 user
The TCC program is competitive. I say your chances are good to get a regular interview if you got an interview for the TCC program.
n=1 but I had interest in TCC, thought about it, declined it and two days later got a reg interview

When did you apply for TCC?

went to check the status of my app - all of my letters are unchecked now, but they were checked before. did this happen to anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Your TCC interview IS your "regular" interview. You are interviewing for both TCC and for HCOM in general.

II received, IS. This is my top choice!

Had my interview today.
Just got the call with the A!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey y'all! Im an OMS1 at the Dublin campus. If any of you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi applicants,

Feel free to ask questions about the school. I can't speak for all campuses, but I can certainly give my two cents. The overarching goal is that while each campus has slightly different themes and strengths, they do a good job of keeping parity between the three campuses. The quality of your preclinical education will be identical regardless of location, and they make sure that the locations are equal without advantages or disadvantages in that regard.

Med school is definitely an adjustment. Overall, my experience has been quite positive for the first half of the semester. All schools have their quirks, but they are outweighed by the benefits. Good staff + faculty, and good classmates. Based on student feedback, the curriculum is going to be slightly tweaked next year, and this seems to be a positive thing meant to improve the wellbeing of the students.

Good luck, and remember to practice self-care and be kind to yourselves.

Sincerely,

A first year

9/26 interview - received a call that evening for an acceptance

those with II’s and acceptances, is it for the Athens campus? Or other campuses? I ranked Dublin #1 but haven’t heard anything yet, was just wondering

Hi applicants,

Feel free to ask questions about the school. I can't speak for all campuses, but I can certainly give my two cents. The overarching goal is that while each campus has slightly different themes and strengths, they do a good job of keeping parity between the three campuses. The quality of your preclinical education will be identical regardless of location, and they make sure that the locations are equal without advantages or disadvantages in that regard.

Med school is definitely an adjustment. Overall, my experience has been quite positive for the first half of the semester. All schools have their quirks, but they are outweighed by the benefits. Good staff + faculty, and good classmates. Based on student feedback, the curriculum is going to be slightly tweaked next year, and this seems to be a positive thing meant to improve the wellbeing of the students.

Good luck, and remember to practice self-care and be kind to yourselves.

Sincerely,

A first year
Speaking of themes, I've noticed that Athens folk are generally younger than Dublin/Cleveland. Not a bad thing, just an observation.
The quality is the same, though, since many classes are taught synchronously across the three campuses. Clinical is where things are different since Cleveland and Dublin have regional rotations, and Athens will go all over Ohio.

those with II’s and acceptances, is it for the Athens campus? Or other campuses? I ranked Dublin #1 but haven’t heard anything yet, was just wondering
I am pretty sure they interview with your preference in mind, I noticed that one of my interviewers is a professor at OU Dublin.

Speaking of themes, I've noticed that Athens folk are generally younger than Dublin/Cleveland. Not a bad thing, just an observation.
The quality is the same, though, since many classes are taught synchronously across the three campuses. Clinical is where things are different since Cleveland and Dublin have regional rotations, and Athens will go all over Ohio.
I think it's a good thing to have a diverse range of ages. I'm probably above the average age of my classmates, and even still, there are plenty of students older than me. Many of them have really good life experiences. We have folks that were pharmacists, nurses, PhDs, teachers, etc. And they bring so much to the table.

Also, these older students seem to have a strong work ethic. My classmates are all impressive, but the classmates I am most impressed by are the ones who worked several gap years or switched careers to go into medicine.

Not sure why Athens would have a younger range of ages, but I have a couple of unsupported theories. There's definitely an undergrad vibe in Athens, which might attract a younger crowd. And the Cleveland and Dublin campuses might attract older students who were working during gap years after graduation (eg. lots of former Cleveland Clinic and OSU employees at the Cleveland and Dublin campuses).

I am pretty sure they interview with your preference in mind, I noticed that one of my interviewers is a professor at OU Dublin.
They interview you based on preference, but the location of your actual interviewers does not hold any definitive bearing on which campus your acceptance will come from. None of my interviewers were from the campus that I ranked first, and that first-choice campus was the location I ended up at.

Eg. So you could have ranked Athens as #1, been interviewed by people from Cleveland and/or Dublin, and still get your first choice location at Athens.

Is that the exception or the rule? I don't know. Med school admissions are a "black box", arbitrary to outside observers, and often subject to change.

Last edited:
They interview you based on preference, but the location of your actual interviewers does not hold any definitive bearing on which campus your acceptance will come from. None of my interviewers were from the campus that I ranked first, and that's the campus I ended up at.

Eg. So you could have ranked Athens as #1, been interviewed by people from Cleveland and/or Dublin, and still get your first choice location at Athens.

Is that the exception or the rule? I don't know.
I was interviewed by Athens folk and they were my bottom choice so I would agree that it doesn't matter.

I do have a question. I just received my secondary application having submitted the primary to this school beginning of last week. Is the dual degree program mandatory or is it only for interested students?

I do have a question. I just received my secondary application having submitted the primary to this school beginning of last week. Is the dual degree program mandatory or is it only for interested students?
Dual degree is optional

Are there any accepted student groups yet?

Are there any accepted student groups yet?
Admissions will email you a link to the Class of 2028 GroupMe chat. I can't remember when they usually send it out but it's probably around December-January.

You can also apply for many of the dual degree programs during your first year, even if you did not initially show interest during your secondaries. The current first year students have until January-ish to apply

For those of you starting next year or are undecided on attending here they are changing the curriculum. Many say for the better,

"Curriculum changes to support student wellbeing
The Pathways to Health and Wellness Curriculum announced curriculum changes intended to decompress current rigorous schedules and promote learner wellness. These changes, beginning Fall 2024, include protected wellness time guaranteeing a study day before content exams, the discontinuation of Weekly Readiness Assessment Tests (these will instead occur at the session-level), and the preclinical academic calendar beginning two weeks earlier to accommodate schedule decompression and additional study time."

Basically, you will have a full day off before the exams to study and they will get rid of the weekly Quiz aka RAT and break it up into smaller quizzes.

• Love
For those of you starting next year or are undecided on attending here they are changing the curriculum. Many say for the better,

"Curriculum changes to support student wellbeing
The Pathways to Health and Wellness Curriculum announced curriculum changes intended to decompress current rigorous schedules and promote learner wellness. These changes, beginning Fall 2024, include protected wellness time guaranteeing a study day before content exams, the discontinuation of Weekly Readiness Assessment Tests (these will instead occur at the session-level), and the preclinical academic calendar beginning two weeks earlier to accommodate schedule decompression and additional study time."

Basically, you will have a full day off before the exams to study and they will get rid of the weekly Quiz aka RAT and break it up into smaller quizzes.
When did the semester start for you?

When did the semester start for you?
excluding the prior 7 days of orientation (including white coat ceremony) that occurred for the 1st years, this current semester began on August 28th.

Also, this might be a dumb question, but could any current students share information about OUHCOM's level of assistance in designing rotation schedules for years 3 and 4 and the overall quality of the clinical rotations?

I did find information on this on their website but wanted to hear personal anecdotes from the students.

Also, this might be a dumb question, but could any current students share information about OUHCOM's level of assistance in designing rotation schedules for years 3 and 4 and the overall quality of the clinical rotations?

I did find information on this on their website but wanted to hear personal anecdotes from the students.
Not a current student but I'm familiar with how they do rotations so can offer partial advice. They have dedicated rotation sites all around the state so you won't have to scramble to find your own rotations or anything. For example, one of the rotation sites for Athens is St. V's in Toledo which is a level 1 trauma center with a bunch of residencies. Having personal knowledge about that hospital in particular, I'd imagine it's a great place to rotate. Rotation sites are assigned when you create a preference list and they attempt to match you to your #1. But if any current student can jump in and elaborate pls do :)

Can anyone confirm that interviewing with TCC counts as my interview for OU-HCOM in general?

excluding the prior 7 days of orientation (including white coat ceremony) that occurred for the 1st years, this current semester began on August 28th.

Yup. First 7 days of orientation are very chill. First two days are in Athens with all campuses for the white coat ceremony.

Not a current student but I'm familiar with how they do rotations so can offer partial advice. They have dedicated rotation sites all around the state so you won't have to scramble to find your own rotations or anything. For example, one of the rotation sites for Athens is St. V's in Toledo which is a level 1 trauma center with a bunch of residencies. Having personal knowledge about that hospital in particular, I'd imagine it's a great place to rotate. Rotation sites are assigned when you create a preference list and they attempt to match you to your #1. But if any current student can jump in and elaborate pls do :)

As a first year my knowledge of rotations is small. From what I understand, you are assigned to rotations.
It’s different for all 3 campuses.
For Dublin students you do rotations in central ohio. They have a strong partnership with Ohio health hospitals and clinics. For Cleveland you stay around Cleveland and do rotations with Cleveland clinic.
For Athens, you get sent everywhere else around Ohio. You can list a preference, but its more of a lottery system. I know a few 4th years from Athens and they all spoke highly of their 3rd year rotations.
OU-HCOM has really strong clinical rotations.
Like ppl have said it’s basically an MD school that gives a DO diploma. While there is a preference for primary care here, if you want to specialize OU will give you a great shot at it.