what MCAT score do i need? chances as of now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your inputs. I'm currently going into my junior year and will take the MCAT this May. Given the stats below, what is the least MCAT score that i would need in order to be a competitive applicant and have a chance, I understand the higher the score the better, but the reason I'm asking is i know i'm not very good at standardized tests but i will study very hard for it, however, what is the minimum score that I would need to be competitive based on your experience. after completing two years of undergrad, I now have:

- a 3.77 cumulative; 3.78 Science GPA. Bio major
-i volunteer at an ER 4 hours a week (will have about 150-200 hrs by the time i apply)
-I did research this summer (but no publication, plan on getting in another project next summer)
-i worked as medical scribe at clinic for a year and half.
-I am a legislator at my university's Student Congress where i'm working on my own initiatives and bringing real changes to campus.
-I am the vice president of the Biology society at my school (new society that we started)
-I will be an SI (supplemental Instructor) for Bio 1 this coming fall (already got the position)
- I will be tutoring chem/Orgo at the tutoring center at my university (already got the position)
- and finally I plan on doing shadowing and volunteering with Hospice this year before applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not URM, Aim as high as possible but ideally 510+ and you should be solid for MD. For DO, 500-505+

Reactions: 1 user
If you receive a 508 or higher you could receive interviews at Central Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan. 505 could be fine for Central Michigan and Michigan State. 500 would be competitive for some DO schools.

Top 20s: ECs are barely adequate for them; 520+ is recommended. Mid-tiers, 512. Your state schools will take you with a 509 or better, and DO schools just want a 500 or so.

Aim for your best, I pretty much agree with everyone else; 508 could get you into lower tier Michigan schools, 504 and you're okay for DO most likely, 512 you can apply to mid range MD.