What schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xrta

Reaction score
Hey all -

I am applying this cycle for med school and I am VERY scared.

My gpa is LOW (dont roast me I s2g I roast myself enough every day plz be nice) so thats the main reason I am scared (3.37 cumulative). I am also taking the MCAT in May so that's scary too. I have strong ECs, research and very high student involvement and volunteering. Please help me figure out what schools to apply to. I want to apply DO but will take a chance on a couple MD schools (the drs I have shadowed are all DOs and I align more w the DO philosophy). Not an URM (pakistani/indian). I am female. SOR is Michigan.

here's my list so far:
- Michigan State University COM (DO)
- Central Michigan University (MD)
- Wayne State University (MD)
- OUWB (MD)
- Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
- Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (don't even think I should apply here ... tbh I dont think ill even pass the first screening)
- Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

All depends on your MCAT

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea 505 will get you in somewhere. The closer to 510 the more picky you can be, assumiing ECs are a non issue

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

How well do you think I need to do? I was thinking I need to hit 505. Is that too low?
Do the best you can, have you done any practice ones?

Do the best you can, have you done any practice ones?

Hi!

I just graduated and will study until may while working - I start my study schedule next week. I can update as I go? Do you think a 505 is doable in 4ish months? Is may too late too take it?

May is on the border for MD, just have everything ready to go for it. DO you're fine

Reactions: 1 user
May is on the border for MD, just have everything ready to go for it. DO you're fine
As long as you are complete by Labor Day you are on time for MD. A July mcat is the latest mcat for MD I would say.

I would say the May MCAT is the best date for MD, but have your LOR and PS ready and rolling. OP is likely going to apply DO heavy.
Its hard for anyone to answer but miht help to have a diagnostic or FL to see what point you are at currently.

I would say the May MCAT is the best date for MD, but have your LOR and PS ready and rolling. OP is likely going to apply DO heavy.
Its hard for anyone to answer but miht help to have a diagnostic or FL to see what point you are at currently.

Sorry what is FL?

I have a lower GPA (3.31) and have received 2 DO interviews with a 507 mcat. One of the schools is on your list so there's hope! I haven't been accepted yet so take this with a grain of salt.

Your GPA really isn't that low. If you're above 3.2, you're usually fine. Add WVSOM to your list.

I have a lower GPA (3.31) and have received 2 DO interviews with a 507 mcat. One of the schools is on your list so there's hope! I haven't been accepted yet so take this with a grain of salt.

Congratulations that is awesome!! Thank you for your reply!

Take the MCAT and score a 505+ and you'll get IIs at DO schools and probably an acceptance. You should be fine just study your absolute butt off for the MCAT. The most important useless test youll take as a pre-med so buckle down for a few months. MCAT tests more of your mental stamina and ability to critically think than science knowledge. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey all -

I am applying this cycle for med school and I am VERY scared.

My gpa is LOW (dont roast me I s2g I roast myself enough every day plz be nice) so thats the main reason I am scared (3.37 cumulative). I am also taking the MCAT in May so that's scary too. I have strong ECs, research and very high student involvement and volunteering. Please help me figure out what schools to apply to. I want to apply DO but will take a chance on a couple MD schools (the drs I have shadowed are all DOs and I align more w the DO philosophy). Not an URM (pakistani/indian). I am female. SOR is Michigan.

here's my list so far:
- Michigan State University COM (DO)
- Central Michigan University (MD)
- Wayne State University (MD)
- OUWB (MD)
- Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
- Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (don't even think I should apply here ... tbh I dont think ill even pass the first screening)
- Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
RowanSOM is my school and boy does it have a HEAVYY in-state bias, like 75% of my class is from NJ. Also, avg incoming class GPA is around a 3.6 for RowanSOM so on top of it having in-state bias that may be an obstacle. Since you are from michigan I would save the money at this one even if you destroy the MCAT