This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lambori

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So anxious it's literally raising my blood pressure these past few weeks i've been applying to the smps. I'm applying to 15 SMPs and 15 medical schools. I've gone back and forth with going ham on medical schools or just focus all of my energy on an SMP. Am I doing the right thing? should i even bother applying to Medical school if I don't even have shot? Feels bad man.
here are my stats in a nutshell.

Graduated 2017

Pennsylvania

Cumulative GPA-3.34

Breakdown 2.92 freshman,

3.12 sophomore,

3.83 Junior,

3.76 Senior

Science GPA-3.1

MCAT Scores-(in process of studying my ass off to destroy that test in May. Practice scores are 504-506 NS so far. Shooting for 515+)

Research – 10 of Months research at Alzheimer's research lab. Gave several presentations but no publications.

Volunteering (clinical) – 400+ ED, Optho, OR, Endoscopy, and Central sterile (Helped package surgery equipment and tools if that counts) Volunteered as an EMT.

Physician shadowing – 200+ (ED, Urology, ortho, anesthesiology, Family medicine, general surgery, Neurosurgery, neurology)

Non-clinical volunteering- 100+ hours of serving at my city's Homeless shelter. Soup kitchen, food drive, and volunteered at food bank.

Extracurricular activities- EMT-B. Love to play the piano, tennis, and reading.

Employment history- ED medical scribe (2015-2017), Cardiology Medical scribe (2017-2018)

time span of hours-from 2012-2018 on and off. Volunteered in surges more than stable weekly hours.

Immediate family members in medicine? Y

Specialty of interest-ED, family practice

Graduate degrees-None, but interested in getting a masters before medical school.

Interest in rural health Y

Members don't see this ad.

Without a MCAT score nobody can tell you what your chances are. But your cGPA and sGPA are very low for MD school. They are also pretty low for DO school. The issues with enrolling in a SMP are
1) they are very expensive and 2) if you don’t score a 3.7+ GPA it’s pretty much game over for med school. And do you really think you can score that well in a SMP? Perhaps you should look into doing a post bac instead. This would give you a chance to improve/repair your undergrad GPAs. I don’t know if you are considering DO schools but you should. Rethink applying to SMPs until you decide if you are up for the huge challenge. I also wouldn’t apply to med schools until you do some grade repair. When you get your MCAT score come back and people will be happy to help you out.

I agree with the above poster. SMPs are expensive and they are high risk and high reward. You basically learn medical school stuff. A LOT of medical school stuff. So, if you can't handle that SMP and do poorly, you've basically told med schools that you cannot handle med school. Then it'll be very hard to prove to them that you can. I would look into a post bacc. Your cGPA is a 3.34 which isn't great but can still be repaired by a decent masters in medical sciences or something. They are cheaper as well. Try to get it to maybe a 3.5. Now your science GPA is very low. That needs some major repair as well. Assuming it is that low, did you get a lot of Ds/Fs? Maybe consider retaking them to get a better grade.

You are not in a position to apply to medical school now. So, do not take the MCAT because one, you may not be able to handle the material and two, your score will have expired.

Maybe look into the DO path. Masters in medical sciences, then MCAT and then maybe attempt a DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without a MCAT score nobody can tell you what your chances are. But your cGPA and sGPA are very low for MD school. They are also pretty low for DO school. The issues with enrolling in a SMP are
1) they are very expensive and 2) if you don’t score a 3.7+ GPA it’s pretty much game over for med school. And do you really think you can score that well in a SMP? Perhaps you should look into doing a post bac instead. This would give you a chance to improve/repair your undergrad GPAs. I don’t know if you are considering DO schools but you should. Rethink applying to SMPs until you decide if you are up for the huge challenge. I also wouldn’t apply to med schools until you do some grade repair. When you get your MCAT score come back and people will be happy to help you out.
I think that with the two strong years of rising GPA trend, that the OP might have some luck with many DO schools and MD schools of the Drexel/Albany class provided s/he scores 513+ on the MCAT. If OP can double-triple the numbers of hours of service to the underprivileged, then the service loving schools could be on the list as well.

Ah ok, I just don't know what to do. The SMP deals look so good with bypassing the glide year, but I see how it is a very risky decision and also expensive too. But aren't they meant for applicants with low stats? I'm not sure I can score a 3.7, but I found out what works during my junior and senior year in terms of study skills and habits. Yes, I'm highly considering DO schools and have shadowed and worked with a bunch of DOs. I know postbacs are an option too and have been researching various places to get into one.

Ok sounds good. I'm currently studying for it and taking it in a few months.

I agree with the above poster. SMPs are expensive and they are high risk and high reward. You basically learn medical school stuff. A LOT of medical school stuff. So, if you can't handle that SMP and do poorly, you've basically told med schools that you cannot handle med school. Then it'll be very hard to prove to them that you can. I would look into a post bacc. Your cGPA is a 3.34 which isn't great but can still be repaired by a decent masters in medical sciences or something. They are cheaper as well. Try to get it to maybe a 3.5. Now your science GPA is very low. That needs some major repair as well. Assuming it is that low, did you get a lot of Ds/Fs? Maybe consider retaking them to get a better grade.

You are not in a position to apply to medical school now. So, do not take the MCAT because one, you may not be able to handle the material and two, your score will have expired.

Maybe look into the DO path. Masters in medical sciences, then MCAT and then maybe attempt a DO school.

Shoot, yeah I have to look into other programs with more flexible alternatives. That's really cut throat and I don't know if I want to jeopardize my chances for good. Yeah my science is that low. I got a lot of Ds (3) and C's (6) during my freshman and sophomore year. I re-took those classes and got A's and A-'s. Ok, I mean I'm studying for the MCAT at the moment, and have been able to cross 500 (504 Nextstep and still working. I was planning on taking it in a few months to see if it can be a shining aspect of my application if I go DO route.

I think that with the two strong years of rising GPA trend, that the OP might have some luck with many DO schools and MD schools of the Drexel/Albany class provided s/he scores 513+ on the MCAT. If OP can double-triple the numbers of hours of service to the underprivileged, then the service loving schools could be on the list as well.

Ok, I might apply broadly to just DO schools. I'm currently working my ass off to get a 513+ on my MCAT and hoping it will be my saving grace or at least help. Ok, I will focus on getting my service hours in and increasing them.

Reactions: 1 user
If your MCAT is in the 504 to 506 range then you should be able to receive interviews at some of the newer DO schools. Post your MCAT score here when available and we can give you a school list.