What should I do to improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here on SDN so here it goes....

Currently I am a junio at UMaryland college park
I started out my pre-med journey at community college which I 1/2 & 1/2 regret.
But this was only because of financial reasons.
I am a first generation college student. URM AA female. We had minor financially problems in 2013- 2015 when my dad had to help my grandfather get out of debt in Ethiopia so I didn't have a choice except for CC. My parents hate loans and pay everything out of pocket.

Anyways at CC I almost did very well, basically a 4.0 in everything but organic 1 &2 I got C's in both And since that's a 5 credit class it brought my gpa down to a 3.75
I took the pre.reqs there (organic, biology, inorganic chemistry, physics calculus, 1&2 all at CC and microbiology , and genetics.) I go to the #1 CC in my state so those classes weren't easy but I know the stigma they carry.

Now I'm at UMaryland CC
I'm doing pretty well here after the first month I have a 4.0 but I'm aware things can change but I think I can get it now that I'm seeing just how challenging it really is.

Let's say I will be able to graduate with a 3.9
And get a MCAT of 510,
I plan to take a gap year, graduate in 2017 and matriculate in 2018 so I don't plan to take MCAT until either October/December 2016/ April2017(last attempt )

Now for EC's
•SMDEP
•By the time I apply I'll have 2 years of clinical exeprience as a "clinical technician"
•I work with patients at the doctors office
Test vision. Dilate patients eyes. Assist in small surgical procedures. And record doctors notes and findings.
•President of Math club
•Tutor of inorganic chemistry and physics
•Been involved in journalism club for CC newspaper,
•philosophy club
•Currently in community service club at my uni
*Anticipated to be president of a community service club senior year
*anticipated to be a tutor for biochemistry & physiology -senior year
*anticipated & (highly like) to do research at NIH 2016 summer and most likely again next summer of 2017!!

* will do research at Howard over winter break w/ internal medicine, dermatology or pediatrics. (I'm going to email every single Doctor lol )

Now I don't have any research experience now. But I plan to get about 6 months before I apply
What are my chances ? What should I do I need help!!
Thank you & sorry for typos I'm @ work

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you end up completing all of those EC's, maintain ~3.7 GPA and get that 510, you are good to go.

If you want any advice, I'd just say try to find an activity that is "outside of the box." It's always good to stand out!

Reactions: 1 user
With your proposed final GPA/mcat and plans for research/ECs you should have about a 99% chance of matriculating. You're a URM and you're talking about graduating with an above average gpa/mcat and ECs. I have no idea why you are writing as if you have some big glaring flaw and will have trouble matriculating.

My advice for you is to apply to more than just Harvard and don't hock a loogie in your interviewers face.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys!!
Idk I'm paranoid everyday lol
I wish to go to the best school with the best program/ curriculum so I can get high STEP one scores lol
Goal number one but not absolutely mandatory: dermatology
2nd choice more probably : pulmonologist

The fact you put Harvard as an option, I'll definitely will apply! Lol I plan for 20-24 schools.
I'm looking at the military one in Bethesda (USChus). All schools in DC MD & Va
Plus NYU for the 3 year program!

You can get into well regarded medical schools with your stats, but don't be cocky about your speciality and your slightly above average standardized test scores. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys!!
Idk I'm paranoid everyday lol
I wish to go to the best school with the best program/ curriculum so I can get high STEP one scores lol
Goal number one but not absolutely mandatory: dermatology
2nd choice more probably : pulmonologist

The fact you put Harvard as an option, I'll definitely will apply! Lol I plan for 20-24 schools.
I'm looking at the military one in Bethesda (USChus). All schools in DC MD & Va
Plus NYU for the 3 year program!

You can get high STEP scores even without going to an ivy league med school. The least well-regarded medical school in my state still churns out ridiculously high STEP 1 averages. You are URM with solid EC's. If you get a 3.7+ GPA, the only thing that'll limit your school list is your MCAT, and if you get a 510 or higher you're good pretty much anywhere. Just don't be cocky about standardized testing, an 1860 on the SAT is just slightly above average and won't be turning any heads. The MCAT is a whole different beast. You're going to be fine. Enjoy college!

You know the 3.75 from CC will be included in your overall GPA. And your SAT is ok but not fabulous. Have fun, work hard and you should be fine. Your main thing will be to pick reasonable schools based on all of your stats when it is time to apply. Any school will allow you to do well on Step 1. Much of that will be up to you and how you prepare. Good luck!

Oh guys I didn't mean to boast! I just felt that since that I did above average w/o a prep class that If I were to take one & retake it a second time I think I could've got 200 points higher into 2000's.
But yes I understand, I am far from cocky. I Always humble myself because I don't know who is "better" lol
Well thank you all and good luck with your future endeavors ☺️☺️

Oh guys I didn't mean to boast! I just felt that since that I did above average w/o a prep class that If I were to take one & retake it a second time I think I could've got 200 points higher into 2000's.
But yes I understand, I am far from cocky. I Always humble myself because I don't know who is "better" lol
Well thank you all and good luck with your future endeavors ☺️☺️
lol I wouldn't give it much thought, the irony of SDNers, where they tell others not to brag.....