What should I do to make myself more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedgirl15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
So I'm currently a sophomore in my undergrad and I'm majoring in biology with a minor in chemistry, and possibly a minor in history as well. I was wondering what you all would suggest I do to make myself more competitive for applying to MD and MD/PhD programs in the future :
Here are my current stats:
3.6 GPA
- 100 hours shadowing in a hospital
- 75 hours shadowing a veterinarian
- Honors Student
- 2 Semesters as a research assistant ( I will be doing an individual research project junior and senior year)
- I'm applying to do a public health study abroad this summer in Thailand as well as apply to a few SURF programs
- Over 1 hundred hours of community service
- College Athlete
- Class Vice President for 2 years
- Member of the biological honors society and biology club
I realize my GPA is a little low! I do have a B- from first semester freshmen year when I had some family issues, I am debating retaking that course!
So do I even have a chance at MD? I'm determined to work as hard as I need to in order to make my dream a reality! Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake a B-. A 3.6 is fine, though yes low for top schools. Know what your sGPA is and keep an eye on that number too. A 3.7+ would put you in the running for pretty much anywhere. Keep up the good work, your ECs look solid.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not retake a B-. A 3.6 is fine, though yes low for top schools. Know what your sGPA is and keep an eye on that number too. A 3.7+ would put you in the running for pretty much anywhere. Keep up the good work, your ECs look solid.

By Top Schools do you mean the Ivy's? Hypothetically if I stay around a 3.6 Do you think I have a chance of getting into schools like Creighton, Upstate, University of Rochester or any of the UC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
By Top Schools do you mean the Ivy's? Hypothetically if I stay around a 3.6 Do you think I have a chance of getting into schools like Creighton, Upstate, University of Rochester or any of the UC's?
Yes I mean the top, say, 25's. If you score well on the MCAT a 3.6 will put you well in range for the schools you listed. Obviously it's still a wild tossup, but the GPA will not sink you.

10th percentile GPA at top 20 schools is around 3.6.

At medium tier type schools its somewhere around 3.5(varies)

At lower tier schools it will vary from a 3.3 to around a 3.5(more likely hovering around 3.4).

The schools you listed your GPA is competitive for. Rest will come down to the MCAT.

Fine chances for MD and excellent for DO. MCAT, naturally, will make or break you. You MUST get in clinical volunteering! Your vet shadowing will count for nothing, BTW.

Hey!
So I'm currently a sophomore in my undergrad and I'm majoring in biology with a minor in chemistry, and possibly a minor in history as well. I was wondering what you all would suggest I do to make myself more competitive for applying to MD and MD/PhD programs in the future :
Here are my current stats:
3.6 GPA
- 100 hours shadowing in a hospital
- 75 hours shadowing a veterinarian
- Honors Student
- 2 Semesters as a research assistant ( I will be doing an individual research project junior and senior year)
- I'm applying to do a public health study abroad this summer in Thailand as well as apply to a few SURF programs
- Over 1 hundred hours of community service
- College Athlete
- Class Vice President for 2 years
- Member of the biological honors society and biology club
I realize my GPA is a little low! I do have a B- from first semester freshmen year when I had some family issues, I am debating retaking that course!
So do I even have a chance at MD? I'm determined to work as hard as I need to in order to make my dream a reality! Let me know what you guys think!

Fine chances for MD and excellent for DO. MCAT, naturally, will make or break you. You MUST get in clinical volunteering! Your vet shadowing will count for nothing, BTW.

What do you mean by clinical volunteering? I've been shadowing a doctor in clinic does that count?

Thanks! :)