This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigdaddybig

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asking myself what should I do since I graduated college a few months ago. I am currently working as a chief scribe and find medicine very interesting. I'm always looking up medical procedures and videos. Here is the situation I have a GPA of 2.8 and I have not taken the MCAT yet. As of now I am studying for the GRE so I can apply to grad school. I have plenty of letter of recommendations and internships experience under my belt. When I get to grad school should I try to get experience in research but I do want it to interfere with my scribing job (20-25 hour a week) since that is my only sources of income. Also has anyone else been in this similar situation of having a low GPA and applying to grad. Has anyone had success and would like to share their experience or advice.

I have a BS in exercise science
I live in south Florida near University of Miami
I am considering public health or master's of exercise science
I would to apply to medical school before I explore other options

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your post is vague man. What is your major, if it's science, what were your grades. Grad school for what? All important information to have before getting advice.

Here is my advice being that you have a degree with a sub-3.0 GPA...don't waste your time on medicine. It's super competitive and the odds wouldn't be in your favor with your stats. I used to be of the mindset that you have to prove something and finish what you start but then I realized I wasn't getting any younger and I need to start my life.

Take what you have, build on it, and then get into a career and make money.

If you don't like my advice and you want to pursue medicine, enroll as a fifth year student and take 4-5 science courses w/labs and get a 3.6 or better. If you can do that, then you have something you can bring to the table and argue. That's not an easy task but medical school isn't either. That GPA wouldn't even get you close to PA school so how can you think of medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
If you are going all in for med school, you need to increase your gpa by taking more science classes and only getting As. Once you finish that hurdle, then take and kill the MCAT. During this time, maybe find a volunteer research gig somewhere near you like a academic hospital or university. All of the above, if executed perfectly, will probably take like 2+ yrs. If you have the will then do it. You don't have to listen to anybody if you truly believe medicine is your dream.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you going to grad school? If you want to go to Med school you need to do something about your GPA through a DIY post bacc or something. A Masters won't help you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Under a 3.0 mark for GPA will raise many red flags for med schools. I've been told that they really want to see your original undergrad GPA. Honestly I would say you may want to start exploring other options than US medical school.

Why are you going to grad school? If you want to go to Med school you need to do something about your GPA through a DIY post bacc or something. A Masters won't help you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hopefully I can raise my GPA and for other reasons

Hopefully I can raise my GPA and for other reasons
For MD, I recommend a sustained period of academic excellence in challenging undergraduate science courses and a single strong MCAT score. There are those who do not perceive exercise science to be a rigorous discipline, so courses offered by the physics, chemistry and bio departments are preferable.
Master's grades are not averaged into undergrad gpa. They appear on a separate line. They do not remediate a weak undergrad performance at MD schools.
DO schools see things differently.

Last edited by a moderator: