What Undergrad School before Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andtheam

Reaction score
I just spent my freshman year at a good state school. However, I now got into UNC Chapel Hill to transfer for the rest of my undergraduate career if I wanted to. If I stayed at my original school, I would definitely get a higher GPA than at UNC. I would still get all my shadowing in during the summer. I feel more comfortable at my original but I want my best chances for dental school. My original school is not a bad school, just not as well known. It is definitely up and coming with a good biology program that I am apart of. I have already established myself here. In order to get into dental school, should I transfer or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter. Go to a place where you can get a higher GPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Top dental programs dont care where you went for undergrad. There will be mix of people in your class from top tier schools to schools you never knew existed.

In contrast, med schools definitely favor bigger names schools, with top programs full of ivy graduates. so if at some point you make the switch to med, then unc would be the better choice. you are only a freshman so i think its way too early to be locking yourself into a profession. id explore more before i just choose one path.

Reactions: 1 user
Stay at the current school 100%. I can provide some more detailed reasoning behind this as I went through something similar and am also from NC-- feel free to PM me. Good luck!!