What's so bad about 1800PetMeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trever-
Can you elaborate upon "cannot be done?" (for #11 & 12) Physically, yes, it can be done, so what do you mean?
I am looking forward to reading the rest of your posts/replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the rumor that shady vets sell overstock to petmeds is false. It doesn't make any financial sense: the vet buys the med at the veterinarian price, sells it to petmeds at an even higher price, and then petmeds turns around and sells it at well below cost?

Or to quote the underpants gnomes:
1. buy lots of meds from shady vets at high prices.
2. ???
3. Profit!

vets can get great deals on products- buy one get one free, buy 100 get 50 free, or for vets opening up a practice- they get really nice deals to entice them to keep on buying from that company. so... that could be how vets sell to pharm companies for cheap. i'm just saying what the bayer rep told me.

and for trever
- bayer does not like/promote petmeds or anything similar to that. they sell only to vets, so my question is where do you get them from?

2. Undercut is such a strong word. We give the consumer a choice. They are, after all, smart people. They just want to get meds from a pharmacy they can trust as well as give great service.

The consumers are welcome to make their choice but as far as I'm concerned, PetMeds is like the WalMart of animal pharmacies. Like it or not, veterinary medicine is a business just like everything else. I understand that you would not want to go to your vet to have him/her sell you unnecessary things, and good for you, you wont be! An honest vet (of which I hope most are) will only sell you what your pet needs. Often the reason for the increased price on meds is to make up for a loss somewhere else. Vets aren't subsidized and have to come up with other ways to make money to ensure their clients can afford complicated surgeries and other procedures. In other words, if you would like to continue getting that leg fracture surgery at a fraction of what it would cost in human medicine, the money has to be made up somewhere. This has all been said before but vets know that if they come back to their client and tell them this surgery is going to cost several thousand dollars they (the clients) wont ever consent to fixing it. For this reason, vets charge more for general vaccines and meds. Is it wrong to make a profit in one area in order to make up for a loss somewhere else? Maybe some would see it that way, but as of right now, that's the way the business works... So undercutting, yea I still see it that way. You are only in it for the small profit you can make on the meds and nothing more. This enables you to offer lower prices and still come out making a ton of money because it isn't having to be spent elsewhere (unless you count advertising as an extra expense).

Members don't see this ad :)
vets can get great deals on products- buy one get one free, buy 100 get 50 free, or for vets opening up a practice- they get really nice deals to entice them to keep on buying from that company. so... that could be how vets sell to pharm companies for cheap. i'm just saying what the bayer rep told me.

vets dont get deals like the prices you see on petmeds, or even if they did get prices close to petmeds, it would be for virtually no profit at a risk to their veterinary license. I dont think so.

and for trever- bayer does not like/promote petmeds or anything similar to that. they sell only to vets, so my question is where do you get them from?

companies can license their name out to other manufacturers/distributors. You buy cadbury chocolate in america and its made by hersheys, not cadbury in ireland. Cadbury has licensed their name to hershey's for sale. Its profitable for both ends. Same for pharmaceutical companies. They license their product for production at factories that arent theirs. Its free promotion for their product AND they make tons of money on the licensing. Dont doubt that Meriel, Novartis, etc LOVE petmeds. If they didnt, PetMeds would get its ass sued for using their name illegally.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][SIZE=-1] if my vet buys 2 for 1 heartgard for $13 (thus $6.50 per box), they can sell it to petmeds for $15 pet box and pet meds sell it for $24.99 (i just checked with 1800petmeds). so, technically, i'm sure that some vets can get away with that. although, i'm sure you're right in that it probably doesn't happen much.

[/SIZE].this is from avma- "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][SIZE=-1]Novartis Animal Health U.S. is suing three Internet retailers of pet care products for trademark infringement, false advertising, and other violations surrounding the company's Sentinel and Interceptor flavor tablets brands of prescription drugs." i can't believe that merial, pfizer, bayer etc LOVE petmeds. plus, the reps tell us themselves that their co. doesn't promote or like them. they could be lying to us... but i don't think they would.[/SIZE].

2. Undercut is such a strong word. We give the consumer a choice. They are, after all, smart people. They just want to get meds from a pharmacy they can trust as well as give great service.
4. I am glad you mentioned that script meds are not a large portion of income. They shouldn’t be! When I go to my vet, it's to take care of my dog, not sell me things!

Though the majority of a vets profit does not come from medications, they do make a profit off of the meds. A vet, unlike a doctor, has to keep a stock of medications in the clinic. Many of these may expire before they are used and therefore the vet loses money. Part of taking care of your dog, would be the administration of medicine so wouldn't you expect the vet to "sell you things?"

We unconditionally guarantee everything from service to delivery to our meds 100%. The guarantee issue that has been bandied about for years by veterinarians is a non-issue. Question - does a vet stand behind what he sells, or passes the blame to the manufacturer, thus inconveniencing the consumer...?]

But, are the products you send out guaranteed by the company? No, the vet doesn't personally guarantee the products he leaves it to the company because the company should be the one liable for their products. They are the ones that do the testing and quality control, why should the vet be liable? I have a feeling the only reason petmeds guarantees the product is because the manufacterer won't, not as a convenience to the consumer.

Personally, I really don't know a lot about the issue, but it just seems that some of the things you are saying do not match up with facts.

this is from avma- "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][SIZE=-1]Novartis Animal Health U.S. is suing three Internet retailers of pet care products for trademark infringement, false advertising, and other violations surrounding the company's Sentinel and Interceptor flavor tablets brands of prescription drugs." i can't believe that merial, pfizer, bayer etc LOVE petmeds. plus, the reps tell us themselves that their co. doesn't promote or like them. they could be lying to us... but i don't think they would.[/SIZE].

That was 5 years ago. Petmeds still sells products with the Novartis name on it and Novartis doesnt complain. I think Novartis was just trying to cover their ass after a scandal. I was trying to see if I could find the results of that lawsuit on the internet. Do you know what happened or was it just dropped/settled? And pharmaceutical reps lying? <gasp> UNHEARD OF!

haha. good point(s) :p

This is Trever from 1-800PetMeds. No, last week after reading this forum I probably wasn’t very "coherent." I don't troll, but when things are being said that are not true or wildly bent out of shape, I suppose I take it a little personally. We will probably never agree on anything even remotely close including the color of the sky... However, we can agree that we are on opposite ends of the same field and should work together whether we want to or not.
Thanks a lot!

Trever Barker
[email protected]

Um, I'm pretty sure that as future doctors ourselves, if we don't want to work with you or your company we don't have to...

However, we can agree that we are on opposite ends of the same field and should work together whether we want to or not.

No, once I become a vet if I don't feel confident about the quality of medication from a company I certainly will not support or work with the company for the safety of the animals in my care. A vet I know provides clients with prescriptions if they would like to purchase medication elsewhere (at another, maybe cheaper vet clinic), but they will not work with petmeds through the fax/phone. This is because they don't want clients to get the impression they are supporting petmeds.

In four years, you can add me to the list of doctors who won't be supporting/working with your company. In the meantime, I'll just be keeping family and friends from using PetMeds.

Members don't see this ad :)
aww... so does that mean trever won't be responding to the posts anymore? i was looking forward to that! really though, i wanted to know what he would say to the vet student who has personally received a box of FL plus with german labeling underneath, etc. i love a good debate/argument/whatever, especially if we are getting our info wrong! i don't mind being corrected...i just want to get the facts straight!

Bumping this for the benefit of someone asking about it in another thread :D

Hello all, new to the forum. I have a couple of things to say in reference to this topic. I have worked at 1800 pet meds for 3 years now. I also work at a clinic as a volunteer tech, yes a volunteer... Let me start by saying that yes they do NOT get the medication directly from Merial, Bayer, Virbac e.tc. But they do get the medication from wholesales and manufactures such as veterinarians but the wholesalers are in the UNITED STATES only. That does not void the guarantee on any of the medication, as it states on the website and you can also confirm by calling as well everything they sell is backed 100%. If lets say joe shmoes dog gets heartworm when taking medication bought at pet meds, pet meds becomes responsible for paying that customers vet bills incurred, refunding the meds etc. With merial you have to provide all sorts of information before you'll see a cent and usually you see about a third of what it actually costs you. Why would your vet guarantee you medication he didn't sell you, that would be silly no? Its the pharmacy who sells you the medication that is responsible. Therefor petmeds actually pays your vet bills if the manufacturer does not.

Pet-meds is located in Pompano Beach Florida which means that not only are they in the UNITED STATES but they are inspected by the Florida food and drug admin and the Dept of Health, and they are in compliance with both agency, aside from that they are a publicly traded company which means they have very strict reporting requirements. They only dispense FDA, EPA approved products that are distributed, sold, and made in the UNITED STATES. It really irks me too see some of this. Clearly some of you being vets, techs or otherwise have far to much of a biast opinion. There was something about 7 years back where they ran into some kind of a manufacturer that sold counterfeit meds to a vet based supplier who sold the meds to pet meds, theres details about it online, so yes in the regard it has happened before however it was 7 years ago I believe.. and hasn't happened since, which can also be verified.

And as I type I'm really trying to address every issue I see here so if I missed anything let me know....

As for pet meds dispensing meds without a script or the wrong meds. Sorry hun but not only would they loose there pharmacy license but people working there would be jailed and sued.We have to call vets on every scripted medication to obtain approval for that medication before we can dispense it so if it gets approved for the wrong mg for example, its not our fault, we rely on the vets to authorize the correct medication and dosage.It has to be authorized so if a vet puts a script on file for heartguard for a dog that weighs 55lbs but puts the script for 1-25 perhaps that vet is in the wrong line of business. And as for making snide remarks I will give you an example of whats called nv status, which means not authorized by the vet theres a list of reasons, the customer could need a heartworm test, the pet could not be prescribed or ever even seen, the vet could want the cust to pick up a written script, or the vet could just be a dick... The only way your going to get a snide remark is if joe shmoe has us call over to the clinic and dana the office manager says to go **** ourselves more or less. I have news for you, every single call is recorded and if the customer asks we will play back that vet saying screw you now im going to charge my customer 25 bucks for me to write them a script..., and i say this because the responses are scripted and in no way defamatory, its basically hey your vet said go get a written script, so please go get one and mail it to blah blah blah.. Its the consumers right to know that as long as there prescribed to a med the vets required by law to provide that person with a written script if they want it. Shot wouldn't you want to know what your entitled to? and if you don't want the company to inform the customer that you said to re fax the script 10 days in a row trying to discourage the customer from ordering only to turn around and say they need a written script, then stop behaving like your three and someone stole your cookie.Just give them a script, you keep your customer happy and they don't turn around and say **** this vet he cares more about money then my pet....

If your so angry about pet meds just offer to price match your customers and be done with it, otherwise write them a script because eventually there going to find out one way or another that vets are required to write scripts and there going to start reporting unethical conduct, is it worth your license or getting fined seriously, silly...get over it, its about the pets not the profit...

Did I MISS ANYTHING?

Did I MISS ANYTHING?

grammar for ONE thing? there/their/they're? your/you're? are you really a pharmacy student?!

don't get me started about the rest of your post.....

I have been told that Pet meds is hated because it takes easy money from the practice.

I have also been told that pet meds is good because it is stopping vets from being pill pushers, and forcing them to refocus on practicing medicine.

Don't kill me, I am just the messenger.

I have been told that Pet meds is hated because it takes easy money from the practice.

I have also been told that pet meds is good because it is stopping vets from being pill pushers, and forcing them to refocus on practicing medicine.

As I said in an earlier post, if this was the case then you would hear veterinarians complaining about all pharmacies, because any large pharmacy can sell drugs cheaper than a veterinarian can.

But you don't hear that -- it's this particular company. And the reason is their unethical and illegal practices, for which they have been fined on more than one occasion by state pharmacy boards.

Hello all, new to the forum. I have a couple of things to say in reference to this topic. I have worked at 1800 pet meds for 3 years now. I also work at a clinic as a volunteer tech, yes a volunteer... Let me start by saying that yes they do NOT get the medication directly from Merial, Bayer, Virbac e.tc. But they do get the medication from wholesales and manufactures such as veterinarians but the wholesalers are in the UNITED STATES only. That does not void the guarantee on any of the medication, as it states on the website and you can also confirm by calling as well everything they sell is backed 100%. If lets say joe shmoes dog gets heartworm when taking medication bought at pet meds, pet meds becomes responsible for paying that customers vet bills incurred, refunding the meds etc. With merial you have to provide all sorts of information before you'll see a cent and usually you see about a third of what it actually costs you. Why would your vet guarantee you medication he didn't sell you, that would be silly no? Its the pharmacy who sells you the medication that is responsible. Therefor petmeds actually pays your vet bills if the manufacturer does not.

Pet-meds is located in Pompano Beach Florida which means that not only are they in the UNITED STATES but they are inspected by the Florida food and drug admin and the Dept of Health, and they are in compliance with both agency, aside from that they are a publicly traded company which means they have very strict reporting requirements. They only dispense FDA, EPA approved products that are distributed, sold, and made in the UNITED STATES. It really irks me too see some of this. Clearly some of you being vets, techs or otherwise have far to much of a biast opinion. There was something about 7 years back where they ran into some kind of a manufacturer that sold counterfeit meds to a vet based supplier who sold the meds to pet meds, theres details about it online, so yes in the regard it has happened before however it was 7 years ago I believe.. and hasn't happened since, which can also be verified.

And as I type I'm really trying to address every issue I see here so if I missed anything let me know....

As for pet meds dispensing meds without a script or the wrong meds. Sorry hun but not only would they loose there pharmacy license but people working there would be jailed and sued.We have to call vets on every scripted medication to obtain approval for that medication before we can dispense it so if it gets approved for the wrong mg for example, its not our fault, we rely on the vets to authorize the correct medication and dosage.It has to be authorized so if a vet puts a script on file for heartguard for a dog that weighs 55lbs but puts the script for 1-25 perhaps that vet is in the wrong line of business. And as for making snide remarks I will give you an example of whats called nv status, which means not authorized by the vet theres a list of reasons, the customer could need a heartworm test, the pet could not be prescribed or ever even seen, the vet could want the cust to pick up a written script, or the vet could just be a dick... The only way your going to get a snide remark is if joe shmoe has us call over to the clinic and dana the office manager says to go **** ourselves more or less. I have news for you, every single call is recorded and if the customer asks we will play back that vet saying screw you now im going to charge my customer 25 bucks for me to write them a script..., and i say this because the responses are scripted and in no way defamatory, its basically hey your vet said go get a written script, so please go get one and mail it to blah blah blah.. Its the consumers right to know that as long as there prescribed to a med the vets required by law to provide that person with a written script if they want it. Shot wouldn't you want to know what your entitled to? and if you don't want the company to inform the customer that you said to re fax the script 10 days in a row trying to discourage the customer from ordering only to turn around and say they need a written script, then stop behaving like your three and someone stole your cookie.Just give them a script, you keep your customer happy and they don't turn around and say **** this vet he cares more about money then my pet....

If your so angry about pet meds just offer to price match your customers and be done with it, otherwise write them a script because eventually there going to find out one way or another that vets are required to write scripts and there going to start reporting unethical conduct, is it worth your license or getting fined seriously, silly...get over it, its about the pets not the profit...

Did I MISS ANYTHING?

This post is exactly the reason I will not have anything to do with PetMeds when I'm a Veterinarian!

Last edited:
This post is exactly why the Veterinarian I work for refuses to work with PetMeds. It's also the reason I will not have anything to do with PetMeds when I'm a Veterinarian!

PetMeds is EXTREMELY rude and not Vet-friendly. They are always ranting and raving about how "inconvienent" it is to go to the Veterinarian's office. If it's concerning the health of your animal, it is never an inconvenience.

I will agree with one thing Jadekitten has to say, it's not about the PROFIT, it's about the PET. It's about the quality of service!

Petmeds has a history of giving out mislabeled medications. I don't believe a word from the Representatives of Petmeds here. I believe the clients.

All of the Pharmacy's my clinic works with have a Veterinarian on staff looking over all the prescriptions.

What about my post was rude? I'm sorry but what ****SOME***** Vets turn around and say about the clients and the pets and how they react in general sometimes is just plain dick. I would say its fair to say some vets are *******s who care more about paying off student loans and new buildings then the actual pet, just look above at some of the responses... And as far as being a rep, it's a job not a career what does a 20 year old student really have anything to do with why you don't believe your opinions are wrong? Why not call the florida dept of health for example and see for yourself...

That post just reinforces why no one wants to deal with the nasty people at pet meds. The credibility of her claims is also pretty shot since she's an employee. I think I believe the person who said their job was to put new expiration dates on the meds over this fool.

Regardless, pet meds can charge as little as they want - when I go into practice I'm going to charge an appropriate amount for the procedure, not the drugs. I'm paying $200,000 and 4 years of my life to be a doctor in this field and pet owners can eat my *** if they expect dirt cheap procedures.

Because I work at pet meds, now I'm nasty? Its funny how instead of sticking to the facts you would rather insult me. do you see why most of the reps think what they do... "I'm paying $200,000 and 4 years of my life to be a doctor in this field and pet owners can eat my *** if they expect dirt cheap procedures." Give me a break...

The biggest problem veterinarians have with petmed is they often fill unauthorized prescriptions. They will call the hospital and ask for authorization to fill a prescription an owner has requested. If the vet says no (e.g. they haven't seen the patient for that problem) petmed fills the script anyway, often including a snide comment to the client about how uncooperative their veterinarian was. For example, they have filled prescriptions for heartworm preventative for HW positive dogs.

They've been fined several times for this type of activity but they don't stop doing it.
If we fill the scripts anyway why would we bother calling you?

In four years, you can add me to the list of doctors who won't be supporting/working with your company. In the meantime, I'll just be keeping family and friends from using PetMeds.

No one said you had to "work with" anyone. If the client is prescribed to the medication inform them of whatever you feel you have, because true or not everything can be researched so if there smart consumers they will find out that most of the bull is just that, but you still have to write them a script it is what your legally supposed to do.. If not be prepared for every company, not just petmeds to turn around and inform the customers of the rights that they have and be prepared for the consumers to start reporting the unethical vets that do not do what they are legally supposed to do.

And as far as being a rep, it's a job not a career what does a 20 year old student really have anything to do with why you don't believe your opinions are wrong?

To be honest, if petmeds were doing things .... in a shady fashion, i think the representatives would be the last to know. It reduces legal liability. I understand you want to defend the company that you work for, and that's noble, however, the vets I know do not like Petmeds because it encourages clients (or non-clients) to try to get meds w/o seeing a vet first. Especially of concern is the Pet Health 101 forum ... practically an online diagnosis ... we've had people call and say "oh, the vet said fluffy has this, and needs x pills" and we explain that we cannot provide a script without seeing the animal, and then the non/client becomes mad or upset, and then it comes out that the vet was online and had never seen the pet. so, if the client had their way, they would have received meds w/o ever seeing a vet in person, and obviously that's not right.

EDIT: I realize this is anecdotal, however, it has happened often enough to warrant concern.

What about my post was rude? I'm sorry but what ****SOME***** Vets turn around and say about the clients and the pets and how they react in general sometimes is just plain dick. I would say its fair to say some vets are *******s who care more about paying off student loans and new buildings then the actual pet, just look above at some of the responses...

And ******SOME***** (hmm, maybe more like "a significant number" of )clients have been sold improper/expired/etc meds from PetMeds. Did you not look at the links that were given with regards to the legal issues regarding PetMeds?

And regarding the "about the pet, not the profit" issue....if there was no profit, there WOULD BE NO VETS! And pets would not get any care at all. If the clinic does not do well financially, it cannot afford the things it needs to properly take care of patients, cannot afford to hire licensed techs and assistants, cannot afford to hire kennel keepers, etc. So OF COURSE we worry about money - what is wrong with that?

If we can't afford to make and living and keep the clinic running in top-notch condition (which means profiting so we can afford things like up-to-date X-ray machines, surgery materials, up-to-date anesthesia machines) then our standard of care will inevitably decline and in worst case scenario, there won't BE a clinic. " Sorry, your dog might have cancer but we can't afford an MRI/ X-ray materials." or "Sorry, your dog needs a very complicated surgery but we can't afford the specialized tools". Or "Sorry, you'll have to wait a few months to get a dental done because we only can afford to hire one licensed tech and she is booked solid." --- And the animals are the ones who lose.

No one said you had to "work with" anyone. If the client is prescribed to the medication inform them of whatever you feel you have, because true or not everything can be researched so if there smart consumers they will find out that most of the bull is just that, but you still have to write them a script it is what your legally supposed to do.. If not be prepared for every company, not just petmeds to turn around and inform the customers of the rights that they have and be prepared for the consumers to start reporting the unethical vets that do not do what they are legally supposed to do.

I'm also not going into small animal medicine, so no, I don't have to ever deal with your "company". :sleep:

Especially of concern is the Pet Health 101 forum ... practically an online diagnosis ... we've had people call and say "oh, the vet said fluffy has this, and needs x pills" and we explain that we cannot provide a script without seeing the animal, and then the non/client becomes mad or upset, and then it comes out that the vet was online and had never seen the pet.

That is another huge issue. People can get drugs online for basically whatever they *think* their pet has, corroborated by an online vet, sometimes in the pocket of the company, who "diagnoses" without even seeing the animal.

People will self-diagnose and will give this "online vet" an extremely biased view. And the animal may end up being prescribed things is DOESN'T need, or thigns that may even harm it.

Like it or not, unless these so-called "smart consumers" spent four years in vet school actually *learning* these things and not "learning" off dubious internet sources, they are NOT veterinarians.

And don't even get me started on the number of botched vaccines that came into the clinic I worked for (and come into my school as well). "Oh, I got my vaccine online....I'm not sure if I gave it all/gave it in the right place/ gave it SubQ versus IM...."

Because I work at pet meds, now I'm nasty? Its funny how instead of sticking to the facts you would rather insult me. do you see why most of the reps think what they do... "I'm paying $200,000 and 4 years of my life to be a doctor in this field and pet owners can eat my *** if they expect dirt cheap procedures." Give me a break...

No offense but your fighting a losing battle. For one, we all know that Pet-Meds is a shady company. We've learned this from our vets, we've learned this from people like Merial who try to keep you from getting their products, and we've learned it from our own experiences. Just the fact that you registered on this messageboard for the sole purpose of pulling up a half a year old thread on pet meds is shady.

THe doctors at the clinic I work for do not deal with 1800pet meds. We sell our flea and heartworm supplies at your prices rather than deal with you. Its a great situation for us. We win, our clients win by getting a product they know is safe, and you lose.

Undercut is such a strong word. We give the consumer a choice.
Funny...I think that was Wal-Mart's stance as they were putting local farmer's markets and shops out of business...
4. I am glad you mentioned that script meds are not a large portion of income. They shouldn’t be!
:eek: Why not? If someone has the stamina to get through the application process, finish vet school, and set up a successful clinic, why shouldn't they be entitled to sell meds to their patients? It sounds like you're saying that Vets have no right to profit, that they should just write out scripts and keep their greedy hands out of it. But Veterinarians are the one's that put in the long hours and years of schooling...they are the ones who care for the patients and pay back student loans working long hours. If they're not entitled, who is? Some large corporation, just because they are able to undercut? Sad...:(

Consumers have a choice of where they wish to buy their drugs.

Through their trusted veterinarian, where their purchase is supporting their local economy and their own veterinarian's ability to provide quality care to their own pet and the pets in their community; or from an online company who has had several litigation problems for questionable business practices in the past.

This is a free market. If a large company wants to "undercut" or sell prescriptions at a cheaper price, it is certainly their right to do so. After all, that is what makes capitalism work.

However, said large company has to follow proper legal procedures involving each state's veterinary practice act, as well as FDA regulations.

When a large company fails to do this, it is a problem.

Veterinarians are not out to "push" drugs on people. We are out to promote and provide quality healthcare. To this end, it is our professional and legal responsibility to ensure that the medications we prescribe for our patients are appropriate and safe.

The bottom line is that, if 1800PetMeds is really taking that much profit away from a veterinary hospital, then prices on other things (such as professional services) can and should be raised. This is just good business practice. Also, spending money on inventory/shelf space for products clients can buy elsewhere in lieu of stocking things that clients CANNOT get elsewhere is just silly--IF internet pharmacies really are impacting a particular business that heavily.

1800PetMeds has a proven track record of questionable ethical and legal practices. I agree with previous posters that, as a lowly representative, you are the absolute LAST person to be aware of any quesitonable business practices. Also, even though it doesn't happen "all the time" and "only a few times" and "not for a while" (that it's been caught and/or prosecuted, at least), that's still a "few times" too many.

Kudos to you for defending your company, but surely you could do it in a more mature, more informed, and more rational manner than insulting the veterinary community.

I certainly hope that PetMeds isn't paying you for your time posting here, because if they are, they're wasting their money.

Through their trusted veterinarian, where their purchase is supporting their local economy and their own veterinarian's ability to provide quality care to their own pet and the pets in their community; or from an online company who has had several litigation problems for questionable business practices in the past.

This is a free market. If a large company wants to "undercut" or sell prescriptions at a cheaper price, it is certainly their right to do so. After all, that is what makes capitalism work.

However, said large company has to follow proper legal procedures involving each state's veterinary practice act, as well as FDA regulations.

Veterinarians are not out to "push" drugs on people. We are out to promote and provide quality healthcare. To this end, it is our professional and legal responsibility to ensure that the medications we prescribe for our patients are appropriate and safe.

The bottom line is that, if 1800PetMeds is really taking that much profit away from a veterinary hospital, then prices on other things (such as professional services) can and should be raised. This is just good business practice. Also, spending money on inventory/shelf space for products clients can buy elsewhere in lieu of stocking things that clients CANNOT get elsewhere is just silly--IF internet pharmacies really are impacting a particular business that heavily.

1800PetMeds has a proven track record of questionable ethical and legal practices. I agree with previous posters that, as a lowly representative, you are the absolute LAST person to be aware of any quesitonable business practices. Also, even though it doesn't happen "all the time" and "only a few times" and "not for a while" (that it's been caught and/or prosecuted, at least), that's still a "few times" too many.

Kudos to you for defending your company, but surely you could do it in a more mature, more informed, and more rational manner than insulting the veterinary community.

I certainly hope that PetMeds isn't paying you for your time posting here, because if they are, they're wasting their money.

:clap:

Great post! We should probably just all stop the discussion here. There is no point in arguing with the pet meds rep as they aren't going to bother taking a look at the facts anyway.

This is exactly the attitude I'm talking about. It's not just me though, all vet prices are on their way up. If you expect 6 digits/yr for putting pills in bottles because you got a PharmD (which is typically obtained after 2 years of undergrad and 3 or 4 years of pharm school = 5-6 years), I expect 6 digits/yr for playing with Fluffy because I got a VMD (a minimum of 8 years plus 1-4 years for internships/residencies).

So no, I will not give you a break. Financially, anyway. If you walk into my clinic I'm charging you double.
Honey I would never want a vet to be a cocky shmuck like you. I love my vet. and Fyi Nova requires 4 year Ba to get into Pharmacy which requires another 2-4 years and a two year internship

No offense but your fighting a losing battle. For one, we all know that Pet-Meds is a shady company. We've learned this from our vets, we've learned this from people like Merial who try to keep you from getting their products, and we've learned it from our own experiences. Just the fact that you registered on this messageboard for the sole purpose of pulling up a half a year old thread on pet meds is shady.

THe doctors at the clinic I work for do not deal with 1800pet meds. We sell our flea and heartworm supplies at your prices rather than deal with you. Its a great situation for us. We win, our clients win by getting a product they know is safe, and you lose.
If I was fighting a loosing battle then you legally wouldn't have to write scripts and petmeds wouldnt have been around for 11 plus years

Why would I be the last person to know. I consider myself a pretty informed individual aside from that if there not following fda guidelines why are they still in business, the fda walks in at complete random on a regular basis, why are we not shut down. You think my statesments should be more informed, ironic. In closing, nope not getting paid I'm at home I just happen to love the company I work for and think if your going to post slanderish things on the internet you should be prepared to have other peoples facts and opinions tossed right back at you

Great post! We should probably just all stop the discussion here. There is no point in arguing with the pet meds rep as they aren't going to bother taking a look at the facts anyway.

Too funny.. I'm not looking at the facts... Call the fda and florida dept of health, call petmeds check the licensing. How about you verify some of your own oh so valid facts before you open your mouth. I have yet soo see any information on anything in the last 5 years in reference to any of the bull **** some of you are proposing.

first of all I typed pet meds in google and came back with this post. and I decided to respond. I didn't look at the posting date, nor would I have cared how long ago it was how is that "shady" shady would be me registering, starting **** and not first coming out the gate saying I work for the company... maybe you need to pick up a dictionary like I need a grammar book hun. Secondly great, thats what you should be doing, price matching and offering the medication to your customers... again if "we"
lose why do your customers keep coming to us for the medication they need, its because you jack the prices up so outlandishly that they are sick of it. I would be saying the same **** if I was a regular consumer and not an employee some*** vets take major advantage of there ability to dispense medication, personally I think vets should only be allowed to treat and diagnose and they shouldn't be allowed to sell any medication in there offices shot cvs could sell the medication for all I care at least we wouldn't have to deal with some disgraceful and unethical vets, and don't get me wrong .. like I said I love my vet, not all vets/people are like that... but you tell me when you buy something like proin or soloxine and turn around and sell it for 100 for a 30 ct bottle your not out of your friggin head.

first of all I typed pet meds in google and came back with this post. and I decided to respond. I didn't look at the posting date, nor would I have cared how long ago it was how is that "shady" shady would be me registering, starting **** and not first coming out the gate saying I work for the company... maybe you need to pick up a dictionary like I need a grammar book hun. Secondly great, thats what you should be doing, price matching and offering the medication to your customers... again if "we"
lose why do your customers keep coming to us for the medication they need, its because you jack the prices up so outlandishly that they are sick of it. I would be saying the same **** if I was a regular consumer and not an employee some*** vets take major advantage of there ability to dispense medication, personally I think vets should only be allowed to treat and diagnose and they shouldn't be allowed to sell any medication in there offices shot cvs could sell the medication for all I care at least we wouldn't have to deal with some disgraceful and unethical vets, and don't get me wrong .. like I said I love my vet, not all vets/people are like that... but you tell me when you buy something like proin or soloxine and turn around and sell it for 100 for a 30 ct bottle your not out of your friggin head.

I want to start by saying I have no opinion on 1800petmeds because I haven't lived in this country long enough to have any experience with them. My response is more directed at the fact that you seem to have a very negative opinion of vets. Most vets aren't out for money. Most just want to keep animals healthy. it's a little sad that your experience is otherwise. At the same time, the consumer doesn't want to pay for the check-up and just wants the medication. This is why, for the most part, your company is cheaper, not the cost of drugs sold by the veterinarian. And I have to agree with other posters that it is simply not acceptable to give drugs without seeing the animal. Year-to-year, things can change dramatically. What is right for a young animal is usually not right for a geriatric one.

Why would I be the last person to know. I consider myself a pretty informed individual

If they are doing things that are illegal, they will not tell the reps, because it is a legal liability. I already addressed this. Further, kudos to dyachei ... as I've said before, its not pedmeds necessarily, its the idea that petmeds promotes that pets do not need a (semi-) yearly check-up, because the consumers can get their rx over the phone. While you never come out and say it, the whole "why take another trip to the vet" idea promotes it, which is not in the best interest of the animal.

Regarding the whole losing battle ... has anyone seen 1 vs 100 (the game show)? Does this not seem slightly similar? Why take on a whole community of pre-vets and then bash vets in general (despite the claim to love your vet, you do take MANY shots at the professional community in general).

Nobody is going to take you seriously if you cant talk in a professional manner without swearing. To add there is not always a positive correlation between cheaper and better. We price match so that we KNOW our clients arent getting some heartguard that fell off the back of a truck in Mexico. Every vet is in the business to make money, but every vet is not in the business to abuse their clients through high prices and pushing unnecessary drugs like you imply. Like I said though, your fighting a losing battle on this board.

I personally think you should reconsider your job at PetMeds as you have been condemning veterinarians in your posts and hold overall very negative opinions about veterinarians. Or, PetMeds should actually reconsider hiring you as an employee for both your negative view on veterinarians and also lack of basic grammatical skills. What would the public/current PetMeds customers think of PetMeds as a company if they knew that certain PetMeds respresentatives lacked basic (elementary-level) grammatical skills. I certainly would never rely on this company for anything, let alone the care of my beloved pets that I consider to be a part of my family, as do many pet owners.

From the PetMeds About Us section:
"Our goal is to promote pet health, save you time and money, and empower you to choose the best products"

Both veterinarians and PetMeds, according to their website, want to promote pet health. Veterinary care (examinations, vaccinations, surgeries, other treatments) and well as medications (from veterinarians or PetMeds or other sources) are necessary to promote pet health. You cannot truly believe in the PetMeds goal of promoting pet health while thinking so poorly of veterinarians, as veterinarians are extremely essential for providing and promoting pet health.

Here is the AVMA's response to the internet pharmacy thing...
http://www.avma.org/issues/prescribing/default.asp

I have worked at a mixed practice veterinary clinic for 5 years now and the owner has a no-Petmeds policy. The reps that I have talked to on the phone have all been very rude. :( Other than that, I don't really know about the exp. date scandals, etc.

Last edited: