Whats up with MD thinking theyre superior to vets/others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetrocks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably not the best place to post but I also want vet, pre-vet and vet students opinions. I just don't understand why/ where doctors and health care workers period have/get a god complex. Not only that but I've read stories of doctors/ pediatricians trying to medicate their own animals, along with trying to tell a Veterinarian how to do their job. If it was the other way around they'd be pissed.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not the best place to post but I also want vet, pre-vet and vet students opinions. I just don't understand why/ where doctors and health care workers period have/get a god complex. Not only that but I've read stories of doctors/ pediatricians trying to medicate their own animals, along with trying to tell a Veterinarian how to do their job. If it was the other way around they'd be pissed.

It happens the other way around, too. Some people suck, or don't know what they don't know. Not much else to say about it.

There was a good article in the New York Times a few years ago by a doctor who almost killed her dog by giving it ibuprofen. You can read it here.

Reactions: 1 user
Not only that but I've read stories of doctors/ pediatricians trying to medicate their own animals, along with trying to tell a Veterinarian how to do their job. If it was the other way around they'd be pissed.
I knew a heart surgeon who threw his large dog in the back of his G-wagon with a tarp, sedated it, and successfully removed a mass from its hind leg when I was a pre-med.

I think this problem isn't due to the fact that doctors necessarily have god complexes (some do) but, rather, is due to the fact that a lot of people don't really care about their pets. So if someone has the means to try a procedure themselves, some might think: "why not?".

Why isn't it the other way around? Again, unfortunately, not enough people view their pets as family or even as valuable animals in need of proper, top notch care. So knowledge regarding these animals is therefore inherently viewed as less than (i.e. not matching the knowledge of a physician). So why the heck would a human being listen to a vet? Conversely, people will take any knowledge they can get regarding their animals.

PS - my dog does and will continue to go to the vet. He is my son, not a dog. Try not to be bothered by such things...people will be people.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly, I've gotten nothing but respect from the vast majority of MDs and DOs I've met with regards to my profession.

I'll let you in on a secret. Clients from ALL walks of life are going to try to inappropriately medicate their animals themselves and tell you how to do your job. It's not just people with medical experience by a long shot. Physicians themselves have the same damn problem with their patients self-diagnosing and arguing because of what they read on the internet (or whatever their excuse is).

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
And quit it with the "doctors are hypocrites" tag on the top of the thread, man. Unprofessional. We may run into bad apples in every healthcare profession, but the more we nag at each other like that the worse it gets.

How ironic that you talk about MDs being hypocritical, but I bet if you saw a pre-med thread tagged with "vets are hypocrites" or "vets have a god complex" you'd be POed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I've generally had good experiences with doctors - most seem to recognize what they don't know, maybe because there's so much specialization in human medicine; for instance, even a cardiac surgeon will take her kids to a dermatologist for a skin problem and not think she can treat it at home on her own. Now, nurses......that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Why don't vets think they can treat people the way some doctors think they can treat animals? Some do. There are people everywhere who don't know their own boundaries of knowledge and reach beyond their grasp. We all know stories of the vet who took rads of her own limb, etc. to see if it was broken, etc....

And quit it with the "doctors are hypocrites" tag on the top of the thread, man. Unprofessional. We may run into bad apples in every healthcare profession, but the more we nag at each other like that the worse it gets.

How ironic that you talk about MDs being hypocritical, but I bet if you saw a pre-med thread tagged with "vets are hypocrites" or "vets have a god complex" you'd be POed.
the tag popped up, so I used it and it is true. No pre med can say the same about vets. It's not just "we may run into bad apples" the s### happens all the time

It happens the other way around, too. Some people suck, or don't know what they don't know. Not much else to say about it.

There was a good article in the New York Times a few years ago by a doctor who almost killed her dog by giving it ibuprofen. You can read it here.
I've read that article before.

I've enjoyed almost every doctor client I've had. Actually can only think of one whom is very frustrating. As someone said above, nurses often are much more frustrating; think it's a "little bit of knowledge is dangerous" sort of situation.

Some people - from all walks of life - are going to be dicks. I think it just feels particularly egregious when it's someone who should "know better" as a doc.

Reactions: 1 users
The only other poster that used this tag was a troll and is now banned... so good call
Just read that thread, not disappointed in the entertainment value.

Reactions: 1 user